• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

Combat is a lot of fun if you like PvE. Suit customization/loadout is cool. Environments are mostly nice.

Everything else has me scratching my head. First person crawl around a city where you can't really do anything interesting? The worst swimming controls since... well, since forever. Got one infinite load, restarted, let me right into the level. Had one crash to desktop. Lost sound entirely midway through one match. Bit of lag teleporting now and then. Gun variety horrible, maybe that is just because of low level. At least in Destiny you can get interesting weapons at all levels.

I played Ranger the entire time today. Unlocked Colossus. Every match had 2-3 Storms in it. As a ranger a large part of my job was flying around the map picking up Storms that got in a hair too deep. I swear one round I had 20 revives. Don't face tank multiple turrets as a storm FFS.

tldr; I bought it. Looter/shooter to play until The Division 2 hits.

In the "VIP demo" with all of its problems people were actually better playing this game,but now in this open demo nobody knew what the hell were they doing,I was so pissed that I gave up playing

Nydus

Gold Member
EA happened. As for the outlets praising this average at best game, it's either they are still blind from hype or they are straight schilling.

Don't be so harsh. There are still people out there who like the game and are excited for the release. I mean yes the graphics are shit, the controls crazy, the performance bleh and the content on the light side.

But I'm still having fun, so I see no problem liking the game. Since, for me, having fun is the number one thing I want from a videogame. :)

Shmunter

I really really wanted to like this game, but I can't get past the graphical downgrade

What staggering is they showed a graphical powerhouse at e3, and now the game not only looks nothing like it. It’s mediocre in its own right.

Even Watchdogs, a meme for downgrades had some positive qualities. This is a new benchmark the internet needs to adopt. The game has been “Anthemed”.

Last edited:

Jaw1love

Banned
What staggering is they showed a graphical powerhouse at e3, and now the game not only looks nothing like it. It’s mediocre in its own right.

Even Watchdogs, a meme for downgrades had some positive qualities. This is a new benchmark the internet needs to adopt. The game has been “Anthemed”.
Completely agree. This is Watchdogs only worse

RedVIper

Banned
So meta 60-70%? I have some bad vibes from reading everyone's impressions. Then there's those posts about loving every minute of it.

I think they could have done better had they not done a demo. Then again that's basically telling people to trust them again.

No way. I'm almost sure critics are going to praise this game to hell and back. The user reviews will probably be way lower though.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Gfx ok for a 2013 release but worst gfx I’ve seen 2018/2019 no doubt
Oh, come on, man, If anything and on PC with max settings the game can look stunning at times, but it's very clearly become a hostage of current and outdated console hardware and without good lighting, shadows, fog and other post-effects can look very shitty, bland, sterile and texture work in some areas can make it look even worse.

This should've been a next gen only game for PS5, new XBOX and PC but nope, lets fuckin' rush it to the market in a horrible state or our shareholders and investors will fuck every hole in our body.

Last edited:

Sygma

It's weird that the alpha actually looked better, not sure what happened in the demo. Like they toned down some of graphical effects because I remember being really impressed, especially with the red aoes from the scars / explosions and shit

then again when looking at footage from Arekkz of the definitive build it looks better (as in, like in the alpha)

Last edited:

Mackers

I've not been hyped for this game at all. Tried the demo out of interest and because of my love for past BioWare games.

It's really not good. It plays like a BioWare game, which is to say the shooting isnt anywhere near as good as it needs to be for a game like this. It's boring.

ruvikx

Banned
I've not been hyped for this game at all. Tried the demo out of interest and because of my love for past BioWare games.

It's really not good. It plays like a BioWare game, which is to say the shooting isnt anywhere near as good as it needs to be for a game like this. It's boring.

I assume they (Bioware) misread the praise received for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer & presumed they could make a successful loot/shoot destinydivision game... with Andromeda's jetpack on top. ME3's multiplayer was a fun little co-op horde mode addition to the main story (literally affecting war assets) , i.e. not the main attraction. I also find it slightly weird (& a bit too much of a coincidence) that both Bethesda & Bioware aimed for the multiplayer 'game as a service' route & transgressed their single player rpg roots at the same time. I only hope Anthem's apparent lukewarm reception will give Bioware the opportunity to make a real single player science fiction rpg again & not make them share Visceral's fate.

Shmunter

Oh, come on, man, If anything and on PC with max settings the game can look stunning at times, but it's very clearly become a hostage of current and outdated cosole hardware and without good lighting, shadows, fog and other post-effects can look very shitty, bland, sterile and texture work in some areas can make it look even worse.

This should've been a next gen only game for PS5, new XBOX and PC but nope, lets fuckin' rush it to the market in a horrible state or our shareholders and investors will fuck every hole in our body.

Hardware hostage or not, I’ve played games on the console that make Anthem look like an upscaled 360 game. I stand by it.

Granted I haven’t played the pc version, but the videos available aren’t showing anything close to the e3 game there and certainly not light years beyond what the consoles are showing either.

Certainly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ZehDon

Gold Member
This thread is wild. Just finished the demo's content, played with randoms the whole way. My PC is a high end i5, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 1080TI at Ultra Wide 1440p with GSYNC. Thoughts are my own.

Visually, Anthem can be quite stunning, but the presentation design choices simply don't allow the subtleties to shine. I walked away with a strange impression, despite the prowess on display. In snapshots, standing still, observing things slowly, the game is terrific. The lighting, textures, geometry and model work are all very nice. Animations run the spectrum of OK to terrific, with the Javelin's themselves having some really nice touches. The hub feels like a strange mix of designs and cultures, but everything feels properly crafted and visually interesting, taste notwithstanding. Outside feels properly organic, natural and untouched, with Frostbite pushing some terrific moments where the scenery comes together, offering a glimpse into an alien lost world of sorts. Unfortunately, all of this only applies when static, and the game isn't about standing still. Once everything hit full pace in motion, the visuals simply don't translate, and the screen becomes a muddied mess of motion blur, particles, post processing, lighting, and effects that simply don't permit the user to appreciate what's on display. It devolves down into visual soup. To say that Anthem is a bad looking game is wrong, plain and simple; graphically, it's actually pretty darn wonderful. But the presentation of those visuals is really quite terrible. I feel for the poor artists who poured over the way the rocks and grass meet as the waters edge, only for it all to be coated in chromatic aberration and motion blur. It's nowhere near as crisp, clean or precise as one would expect from a AAA title in 2019. Contrast this against other titles like Warframe, which are incredibly fast yet manage to hold onto their crisp visual presentation, and Anthem isn't really up to par. Destiny, for all of the many, many, many faults, is brilliantly presented, with the time and care paid to its visuals on full display from the first frame to the last. Anthem simply hasn't received the same love in its visuals, and it really shows. Frankly, games shouldn't look this messy on my hardware.

Audio is serviceable. There's hints of the musical score peppered throughout, but nothing concrete or memorable. It's there, and it works, but its not lasting. I'm hoping the full game has something special in store. Bungie has shown the power that music has in elevating games, and this applies moreover to games that are attempting to establish worlds and themes that players will inhabit for years to come. I don't think we've seen Anthem's soundscape in full yet, but I'm hopeful. The sound effects are generally all fine, but again, nothing exceptional here. I was hoping that the traversal effects would be something special, because you're potentially going to be listening to them for quite some time. But, they're fine. Not bad, not great. They'll do.

The UI is a mess from the opening screen. Menu's are confusing and un-intuitive. No idea who they built it for, but it wasn't gamers playing a loot driven action game, nor gamers engrossed in a deep RPG. The map is, literally, stolen wholesale from Destiny, and yet manages to somehow make it worse. It's serviceable in the worst kind of way; you'll tolerate its existence and learn it begrudgingly, all the while questioning every single decision. Why does an animation play after I salvage an item that means I can't do anything for a second, every time I salvage one of the 10 items I need to salvage? Why is the screen broken up into vertical "blades" that remind me of the Xbox 360's original UI, minus all of the usefulness?

Gameplay is a strange mix. The first person "RPG" stuff is effectively a watered down Bioware RPG. Dialogue scenes with strangely rough animations, lots of walking back and forth, as if adhering to a formula that says a quest must have X number of steps. It's certainly better written than anything in Destiny - and by a wide margin, frankly - but I'd be lying if I said that this was gripping me in the ways that I wanted it to. However, all fairness - we have to remember that this is a demo - divorced from the context of the main story and started 10 levels in - so its not a complete judgement. With that said, I had the same exact reservations after the Destiny alpha, and I was bang on the money there about it being garbage. My main fear is that the game cordoned off its RPG story elements into a single environment and setting. For as rich and wonderful as the texture work is, it's incredibly limited stuff that felt worn by the time the demo was over. Setting an entire game within such a limited environment feels... not smart. I hope Bioware have secrets in store, because the last time Bioware attempted a "bottle episode", we got Dragon Age 2, which should concern anyone hoping for a winning narrative. For all the talk of a "proper Bioware story", the demo didn't give me hopes to think there's room enough for them to craft one. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I suspect we're going to get a "Universe ending threat" narrative, a story that's trying to be a lot bigger than it is, and feeling as deep as a puddle.
The third person stuff is, most unfortunately, all over the page. When it works, you're glued to the screen. Flying around, dealing death, feeling like an absolute bad-ass. It's great. When it doesn't work, you're bored stiffless watching health bars grow incrementally smaller as you wait for cool-downs to tick over so you can see another lifeless explosion with a marginally bigger number float out of it. This was the part that Bioware needed to nail, because its the meat of the entire franchise. And while its good, with flashes of brilliance, it's not amazing. And Bioware needed it to be amazing. Simply put, Anthem is not as good a third person shooter as Destiny is a first person shooter. Destiny has the gameplay you can, and Bungie have, built an entire franchise around. Industry best. Anthem is just a good third person shooter, but that's all it is. Its no better than The Division, but it doesn't have the cover based mechanics that make that game work so well. After the demo, I looked over Datto's and some other steamers videos, where they broke down some of the masterwork items and abilities, showing off the kind of loot we can expect to form the core of our builds. And, frankly, there's nothing. Lots of big damage bonuses, sure, but nothing that's going to inject life into the core loop that isn't already there. This is Anthem, for better or worse.

As for longevity, this where things get, well, weird. For as much as I enjoyed the demo, and I did ultimately enjoy it, I'm not sure how or why I would want to spend hundreds of hours in this game. Take the flying, for example. The flying mechanics, while fun, create the same problems that they created in MMOs, with the players just ignoring 75% of the world that the developers created. So, why waste so much of the development resources creating this lush world if players are encouraged to ignore most of it? From an engagement point of view, I just fly until the developer arbitrarily tells me I can't, kill the baddies at the marker while inane radio chatter between characters I don't care about plays over the top, and move on. If Anthem understood this was built accordingly, ok cool. It'd be a super fast, low engagement game, but still a good romp. Third person Diablo, basically, which is cool. You know, like how Warframe is built. But, no, its not that at all. Loading screens bookend everything from entering caves, to - I shit you not - equipping the gear you just got. This game simply isn't built with an understanding of how players will engage with it over the long haul. You'll spend dozens of minutes every session staring at loading screens, or flying with nothing to really do for minutes at a time. No quick 20 minute farming session with friends, nor deep and engaging strategic combat that really gets your blood going. Hell, it takes around 10 minutes just to load the game and get out into the world with a gun. Bioware clearly built it to be fired up and played for hours of deep engagement, and yet, it appears to have filled those hours with little more than blindly flying to markers, shooting baddies while your screen turns to soup, only to fly to the next marker, and repeat. The lack of engagement in traversal, and by extension, the connection to the word, is really quite staggering.

Anthem is now sitting at the same point that Destiny sat in after its alpha created concern for me. Unfortunately, I'm not prepared to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt here. I hope Bioware is hiding some crazy, game-changing weapons, some truly amazing missions, or a deep and gripping Bioware-standard narrative, or - magically - all three. Because if not, then they literally just made EA's own Destiny, complete with all of its problems, only minus the industry-leading gaemplay. I had fun with it, but not enough to dive in at launch, and certainly not enough to invest in the franchise. I'll wait for the reviews and feedback on the elder game from the community.

Odinnii

Just put a couple of hours into the demo with a friend, we cleared 4 missions and I was done. That’s all the Anthem I’ll ever want to play, game is too boring.

Also 4K maxed out on pc and looks nothing close to the e3 trailers.

Sad whats happening with Bioware. I used to be a big fan. Between Andromeda and this, I'm done with them.

Winter John

Gold Member
I'm starting to think that all the positive reviews must be coming from people playing on pc or the X1X/PS4 Pro. I'm playing on a base PS4 and it's a mess. frame rate drops, Lag, pop in, enemies disappearing during fights, long load times during missions. I played it last weekend and I thought the gameplay was fun, but I put it on yesterday and felt that the shine might have worn off. I played 2 games and I was done. I'll try it again today because I think there might be a decent game buried deeply somewhere in the mess.

Toe-Knee

I'm starting to think that all the positive reviews must be coming from people playing on pc or the X1X/PS4 Pro. I'm playing on a base PS4 and it's a mess. frame rate drops, Lag, pop in, enemies disappearing during fights, long load times during missions. I played it last weekend and I thought the gameplay was fun, but I put it on yesterday and felt that the shine might have worn off. I played 2 games and I was done. I'll try it again today because I think there might be a decent game buried deeply somewhere in the mess.
I had all of those things on PC and pro.

The game is just a mess optimisation wise.

It's not even consistent. The textures on the big doors in the hub would just sometimes just not load at all regardless of how long I stood in front of them. Shadow's and enemies flickering in and out.

The worst thing though was the near constant hard crashes on pro

One thing they really need to work on is the map. Maybe I missed something, but there seems to be no way to set waypoints, and event areas do not show up well on the map. Are you supposed to memorize these locations?

It's also very easy to lose track of team mates.

Ogbert

So, played again this morning. Fiddled with the controls. To be fair, the pve is kinda fun. I’ve started using hover more, which is enjoyable.

I still feel like it was made by a committee of suits that want micro transaction sales.

Oh it's messy for sure, I'm just positive because for me, the highs outweigh the lows at this point. But yeah, it sure as hell isn't a polished demo. But when you're raining down fire or setting off your ultimates, or even just diving down into combat, the bugs are forgiven.

Winter John

Gold Member
Oh it's messy for sure, I'm just positive because for me, the highs outweigh the lows at this point. But yeah, it sure as hell isn't a polished demo. But when you're raining down fire or setting off your ultimates, or even just diving down into combat, the bugs are forgiven.

Personally I cant forgive the bugs because they're a constant hindrance to the gameplay. I expect most of them will get fixed but this is definitely not a game I'd buy on release. Not just because of the bugs but because this is an EA product and we all know how much those greedy scumbags love to destroy every game they publish with ridiculous microtransactions.

Just have to wonder how prepared BioWare is for this going forward.

Even the design of the microtransactions (what leaked and what we can see) seems questionable. It's not FO76 levels of bad, but it's not that far off.

Sticking to my earlier assessment. I'll play the first week, which I have through Premier, but I'm not buying the game for the time being.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hardware hostage or not, I’ve played games on the console that make Anthem look like an upscaled 360 game. I stand by it.
You're goddamn right.gif

Granted I haven’t played the pc version, but the videos available aren’t showing anything close to the e3 game there and certainly not light years beyond what the consoles are showing either.
Well, obviously this was just more of a proof of concept (Ubi-style) rather than what we could've realistically expect in the final game on a current console hardware. On the other hand, it could've easily looked like first E3 demo if it was a PC exlusive game like Crysis was.

Visually, Anthem can be quite stunning, but the presentation design choices simply don't allow the subtleties to shine. I walked away with a strange impression, despite the prowess on display. In snapshots, standing still, observing things slowly, the game is terrific. The lighting, textures, geometry and model work are all very nice. Animations run the spectrum of OK to terrific, with the Javelin's themselves having some really nice touches. The hub feels like a strange mix of designs and cultures, but everything feels properly crafted and visually interesting, taste notwithstanding. Outside feels properly organic, natural and untouched, with Frostbite pushing some terrific moments where the scenery comes together, offering a glimpse into an alien lost world of sorts. Unfortunately, all of this only applies when static, and the game isn't about standing still. Once everything hit full pace in motion, the visuals simply don't translate, and the screen becomes a muddied mess of motion blur, particles, post processing, lighting, and effects that simply don't permit the user to appreciate what's on display. It devolves down into visual soup. To say that Anthem is a bad looking game is wrong, plain and simple; graphically, it's actually pretty darn wonderful. But the presentation of those visuals is really quite terrible. I feel for the poor artists who poured over the way the rocks and grass meet as the waters edge, only for it all to be coated in chromatic aberration and motion blur. It's nowhere near as crisp, clean or precise as one would expect from a AAA title in 2019. Contrast this against other titles like Warframe, which are incredibly fast yet manage to hold onto their crisp visual presentation, and Anthem isn't really up to par. Destiny, for all of the many, many, many faults, is brilliantly presented, with the time and care paid to its visuals on full display from the first frame to the last. Anthem simply hasn't received the same love in its visuals, and it really shows. Frankly, games shouldn't look this messy on my hardware.
I can easily call this game - Fireworks: The Video game.

I mean, you're absolutely right. The art itself, the work of artist and designers and the world of this game looks amazing, when you just look at it standing still or even when you're flying. But as soom as you hit the ground.... so much shit hits the fan and the game performs so goddamn poorly and most of the time like a slideshow even on high-end hardware in 1440p, that you literally can't tell what's going on on the screen, and to keep matter worse camera is also shaking vailently cuz of huge explosions and stuff...

Goddamn this game is a mess in combat and it fuckin' shouldn't, cuz it is the main thing you do in the game and it must be satisfying, fun and at the same time don't stand in a way of artists work who've put a shit ton of hours drawing, designing and filling the game's world with so much detail and stuff to make it feel alive but the combat and constant and neverending fireworks ruining everything, even enjoyment out of gameplay.

Audio is serviceable. There's hints of the musical score peppered throughout, but nothing concrete or memorable. It's there, and it works, but its not lasting. I'm hoping the full game has something special in store. Bungie has shown the power that music has in elevating games, and this applies moreover to games that are attempting to establish worlds and themes that players will inhabit for years to come. I don't think we've seen Anthem's soundscape in full yet, but I'm hopeful. The sound effects are generally all fine, but again, nothing exceptional here. I was hoping that the traversal effects would be something special, because you're potentially going to be listening to them for quite some time. But, they're fine. Not bad, not great. They'll do.
Audio quality and mixing was absolutely terrible in my experiense. Frequent audio cuts, abruptions, even lack of sound effects entirely and this was in bare-bones stereo mode.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

This thread is wild. Just finished the demo's content, played with randoms the whole way. My PC is a high end i5, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 1080TI at Ultra Wide 1440p with GSYNC. Thoughts are my own. *CLIP*

Damn what a great post ZehDon ZehDon thank you for the impressions! I concur pretty much 100% with what you've said here. Especially agreed regarding how the game looks once you're flying around and everything becomes a blurry mess. Thanks again!

LostDonkey

I lasted all of 5 minutes and I deleted it.

Not for me. Performance was horrible on PS4 pro as well.

Last edited:

carsar

Also 4K maxed out on pc and looks nothing close to the e3 trailers.
yep. backgrounds look even better.
KPU3Kv8.jpg

IAkElyy.jpg

Well, the pro version was a hot mess, I'm going to try PC this morning. I really thought this was going to be Destiny: Iron Man Edition, and it kinda is, but performance was awful.
I'm HOPING that the PC irons out the performance problems, the difference between Destiny 2 on the pro and PC was a pretty gigantic leap for me.
I didn't get to try any of the other suits other than the default Javelin, the game hard locked on me twice, one after beating the first mission, and once again in free roam.
If this game was six months away I wouldn't be terribly worried, but with it being only 2 weeks or so out...

This thread is wild. Just finished the demo's content, played with randoms the whole way. My PC is a high end i5, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 1080TI at Ultra Wide 1440p with GSYNC. Thoughts are my own.
Damn what a great post @ZehDon thank you for the impressions! I concur pretty much 100% with what you've said here. Especially agreed regarding how the game looks once you're flying around and everything becomes a blurry mess. Thanks again!

VertigoOA

Banned
Alright I’m giving it a shot. I don’t like demos most of the time.

The walk speed in Fort Tarsis immediately drove me nuts. ..

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Totally agree with the thoughts re: flying. All this beautiful terrain but you’re never really exploring it. Just blasting past it all to get to the next waypoint.

I dunno, maybe it’ll be better doing solo exploration. But it felt surprisingly restrictive and small (and gated with lots of loading screens) for an open world game.

I think Xenoblade Chronicles X nailed this sort of alien world exploration the best. You start out on foot, really struggling with every hill, river, and cliff in the environment. Then you get your mech and you’re easily plowing through/leaping over those obstacles (and you can transform into a wheeled vehicle for fast travel). Finally you get the flight upgrade and by that time you really have an appreciation for the scale of the terrain you’re zooming past.

As cool as it is to have a jet pack, I feel like this should’ve been a late-game upgrade instead of the standard transportation mode for the entire game.

Last edited:

Mackers

I assume they (Bioware) misread the praise received for Mass Effect 3's multiplayer & presumed they could make a successful loot/shoot destinydivision game... with Andromeda's jetpack on top. ME3's multiplayer was a fun little co-op horde mode addition to the main story (literally affecting war assets) , i.e. not the main attraction. I also find it slightly weird (& a bit too much of a coincidence) that both Bethesda & Bioware aimed for the multiplayer 'game as a service' route & transgressed their single player rpg roots at the same time. I only hope Anthem's apparent lukewarm reception will give Bioware the opportunity to make a real single player science fiction rpg again & not make them share Visceral's fate.

At the end of the day, BioWare is just a name, albeit one with a rich history. If BioWare is dissolved, the people that made all those great games are still around. I do wonder if the best thing for those people would be to go down the same route as Respawn, form a new studio and free themselves from EA's shackles. Although I do agree with you that it would be great if Anthem flops and EA just allow BioWare to get back to what they're best at, you know, the reason they bought the studio in the first place!

EekTheKat

Anthem desperately needs an upgrade in how it handles multiplayer(an odd complaint for a game that's built for multiplayer) - this kicking you back out to the main menu thing is utterly infuriating considering the overly long load times.

As it stands Anthem doesn't seem to handle poor network conditions very gracefully.

If matchmaking fails and or people get disconnected, the game should put you immediately into your own world/own instance, with an option in game to re-queue or go back to the fort. Not punt you out to the main menu so you can load everything from square one all over again.

Tarsis just seems like a bad decision at this point.

Can't imagine anyone will use it if the upcoming social hubs are an effective alternative.

One thing ZehDon ZehDon pointed out:

I understand loading between missions/in and out of hubs, but is there no way to enginner the forge (where you loot up, customize) as something you don’t need to load in and out of? Having to load in and out of my loot/loadout customization may not be a huge deal but damn

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tarsis will make more sense when you have a sprint button and can get quests from most of the NPCs.

E3 Best Action Game Winner
LOL

bilderberg

What are good settings to make flying with m/kb work well? Thinking of just using a controller because being able to fly straight relies on returning to a neutral position, which just feels awkward on a mouse.

Codes 208

So I finally got a chance to play last night. [XOX] and after a single missio of half gameplay and half loading screens and a crash near the end of the mission after my first death...this game may not be for more me.

The combat is relatively mediocre, the flying (while a cool change of pace for a tps) is obnoxiously hard to control at times, a 100% emphasis of playing with squads the entire time (even destiny didn’t want me have my hand held this much) and average graphics with a generic sci-fi vibe...this game just kinda sucked. And I thought division was underwhelming. (I mean division was not too bad, atleast the combat and squad or no squad style wasn’t tedious, it just lacked content so I got bored quickly.)

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Tried this last night. Not impressed. You can tell BioWare tried really hard to get the gameplay and traversal down to please critics, but there’s also an underlying feeling of cheap manipulation and pushing GaaS model here to push whatever shitty micro transactions they’ve built in.

In other words, it feels like a poor mans Destiny, only without the excellent mechanics.

Fbh

So finally tried it. It's... a loot shooter with everything you'd expect from a loot shooter so definitely not my style of game. Aside from being able to fly for a short time I didn't feel like it was anything special.

What I will say is that playing on a Ps4 Pro this just felt terrible to play. I've never been a FPS snob or anything and never had issues with 30fps games on consoles but this entire thing just feels like its barely running. I don't know if its purely framerate or frame pacing or camera movement and motion blur but specially during intense combat moments this just felt like an unresponsive blurry mess.
I have my problems with Destiny and as a loot shooter it's also not my style of game but at least the actual combat and moment to moment gameplay felt great... even at 30fps on a base Ps4

And whats with the loading screens?. Entered a mission...loading screen, looked something up in the menu and the game teleported me to my party...loading screen, we entered a rather small area....loading screen, mission was over and you get a loading screen to see the mission results and then another loading screen to go back to the hub area. Even your character customization menu (like one of the main things in a loot game) needs a short loading screen

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't disagree with anything that's been posted, but I still feel a bit unsure because we have seen just 2 missions and a very small slice of the game. I have it on Origin Access anyway but I feel like the demo is too small and contained to give a full judgement about the entire game.

What if the story is actually really interesting? What if there are way more unlocks and abilities that change how the game plays? What's in the rest of the map that's blocked off in the demo? What if expeditions are actually interesting and have things to discover? What if the crafting is worth doing?

Can't really answer any of these questions from the demo. I'm not saying this will be an all time great, but I do think it's there's a lot more we haven't seen and we may be writing it off a tad prematurely.

I think they really messed up not giving at least one of every ability even if it's just a common 10 power one. I want to try out power combos but I sure don't feel like grinding in a demo just to get them.

TitusTroy

can someone tell me what these mean...in the first screenshot for my Flame Burst Seal, there's Damage, Recharge and Radius...what does the recharge mean?...the number of seconds it takes to recharge?...that doesn't make sense because lower valued seals have higher recharge numbers and is considered better

in my 2nd screenshot for my consumable it says it 'increases the recharge speed of equipped gear'...does that mean it increases the recharge speed of my abilities (such as Flame, Ice, Fire etc) or are they referring to the javelin suit itself (health, shield)?

Typhares

Recharge is definitly tied to the cooldown length of your abilities. Not sure I understand the values though.

Last edited:

manfestival

I have been watching my roommate play it and I have played it on my PC. Something about the combat just feels off to me though and I do not like it

Also being forced to walk everywhere in the fort is not fun at all. Forced walking gets autodock in points

Top Bottom