• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Demo Impressions Thread

My only real complaint (I use this term lightly) graphically, other than the downgrade, is the console version HDR looks great on my TV and in comparison the colors are very bland on my monitor, where I prefer to game. Sharper image on PC, better framerate on PC, but much better color on Pro.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
In your suit. This was definitely a cost/time saving decision. Why would it be better immersion coming from a company who has always made 3rd person RPGs?
LOL yeah it definitely wasn’t for immersion’s sake. More likely that they didn’t want to create a whole new set of motion-captured dances/expressions/etc. just for use in the hub world where nobody else can even see you.

Creating a character and seeing them in all the dialog scenes was a huge part of the immersion in the Dragon Age/Mass Effect/KOTOR games.

ultrazilla

Ok I can confirm that booting my Playstation 4 Pro into 1080p(go to system settings-picture and sound and pick 1080p). Then start up the Anthem
demo. Night and day difference for me with frame rate. Much smoother at 1080p. And you know what? The game still looks really good at 1080p once
I tweaked my actual tv picture settings!

Without a doubt, Bioware needs like a day 1 patch for performance or resolution settings.

Elenchus

Banned
Anyone tried this game on the xbox one x ?
i have a pretty dope surround set up.

that gun sounds is fucking DOPE!
it really makes me feel a manly man when i shoot.

shame the actual impact on enemies feels off

Tried it 1X and it’s a looker. But I loaded it up on PC last night and there is definitely a bump in texture quality (I’m running it in ultra). Love the game. Wish there were fewer load screens and I keep losing my bearings underwater because it’s so tight down there. But the game is fun and the customization is industry setting. BioWare’s got a hit on their hands. This game is going to print money.

BioWare’s got a hit on their hands. This game is going to print money.

I was going back and forth on my 1440p monitor beteeen Pro and PC and yeah, textures are much cleaner on PC.

As far as the hit and printing money, I’m not sure. It sounds like they need to fast track some endgame content immediately. Overall the demo impressions seem lukewarm at best

ultrazilla

So did anyone get to see what's going on in game? Apparently if you pick free roam, portals have appeared in the sky and giants are spawning. Just came out of free roam
and no luck for me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Tried it 1X and it’s a looker. But I loaded it up on PC last night and there is definitely a bump in texture quality (I’m running it in ultra). Love the game. Wish there were fewer load screens and I keep losing my bearings underwater because it’s so tight down there. But the game is fun and the customization is industry setting. BioWare’s got a hit on their hands. This game is going to print money.
yeah man the loading screens feel off like shoddy programming.
So you reckon i should get it on pc instead ?
i got a gsync 21:9 too damn i like the gfx but i dont like the actual gameplay

Belmonte

Anyone knows if there is a way to change the server location? Judging by the names, I'm getting people from the entire world. The game seems like a slideshow.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Guys how do you actually change your javelin?. I have played 5 hours now and i'm still stook on the dafault javelin. Its like i have done missions and got new guns, but i cant find them in the Forge thing. I dont think the game has done well to explain all the mechanics imo.

Typhares

Guys how do you actually change your javelin?. I have played 5 hours now and i'm still stook on the dafault javelin. Its like i have done missions and got new guns, but i cant find them in the Forge thing. I dont think the game has done well to explain all the mechanics imo.

If you haven't played last weekend you need to be level 12 I think. But it is in the forge, bottom left corner it tells you what to press, triangle I think on ps4.

Stuart360

If you haven't played last weekend you need to be level 12 I think. But it is in the forge, bottom left corner it tells you what to press, triangle I think on ps4.
Oh wow, i have done all 3 main missions, and a few world missions and i'm still level 11. I have been kicked a few times and i wonder if you lose all your experience when that happens or something.

Typhares

Oh wow, i have done all 3 main missions, and a few world missions and i'm still level 11. I have been kicked a few times and i wonder if you lose all your experience when that happens or something.
It might, join some in progress missions with quickplay to get to level 12 or do the stronghold.

Elenchus

Banned
I was going back and forth on my 1440p monitor beteeen Pro and PC and yeah, textures are much cleaner on PC.

As far as the hit and printing money, I’m not sure. It sounds like they need to fast track some endgame content immediately. Overall the demo impressions seem lukewarm at best

Lukewarm on an enthusiast site filled with too many jaded gamers (present company excluded of course). It’s a pretty game that has uber customization and eye-catching action. Kids are going...to...eat...this...up. I can already see the Colossus action figures stacked up at Walmart.

There is a level bug that happened to a lot of people during the VIP demo too.

Quickest way to fix it is to quickplay and then quit the match, which will bring you to the rewards screen.

The bug seems to be introduced during free roam, so you may better off farming the stronghold for XP.

bati

Lukewarm on an enthusiast site filled with too many jaded gamers (present company excluded of course). It’s a pretty game that has uber customization and eye-catching action. Kids are going...to...eat...this...up. I can already see the Colossus action figures stacked up at Walmart.

Pass on some of that stuff you're smoking. This game will lose 90% of its playerbase after two months, f2p in 6 months to a year.

Elenchus

Banned
yeah man the loading screens feel off like shoddy programming.
So you reckon i should get it on pc instead ?
i got a gsync 21:9 too damn i like the gfx but i dont like the actual gameplay

If you’ve got the hardware go for it. The 1X is in 4k I think but it’s probably running on high vs ultra. Although getting a PC to run this at 4k ultra/60 is no easy feat.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I think im going to buy it, i didnt enjoy it at first but ive been playing on PC and its not too bad looks very good too .

I'm going to get it on my X i hope they implement a 1080P 60fps mode, This game should have never been made to play under 60fps

Stuart360

Hopefully the final code is a bit better optimized on PC. My framerate is basically PS4 Pro level when you set the Pro to 1080p, 40-50fps on the surface, 50-60fps underground.
I'm playing on ultra, which the consoles wont be doing, but i expected a bit more performence at 1080p with a I5 6600K, 16GB DDR4 Ram, GTX 980ti PC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you’ve got the hardware go for it. The 1X is in 4k I think but it’s probably running on high vs ultra. Although getting a PC to run this at 4k ultra/60 is no easy feat.
aye i am up to a hardware upgrade so i might get this game after i hear about the gpu from intel

Last edited:
I'm gonna play it anyway since I've got Origin Access for other reasons, but man that demo was kinda underwhelming. It'll be a good distraction until The Division 2 at least.

I'm gonna play it anyway since I've got Origin Access for other reasons, but man that demo was kinda underwhelming. It'll be a good distraction until The Division 2 at least.

This is kinda where I’m at. Well, kinda

I’m still excited, I’m sure I’ll max out at least one Jav/build. Few dozen hours of entertainment. Paid for with Premier

I was at hype level 10 for this game. Probably at a high 7, low 8 now. I think I’ll have a lot of fun, for sure

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played a bit more this weekend. It can be fun when matched up with some good people. The previous week the people it put me in groups with kept not sticking together.

Still not blown away, but I’ll probably get enough playtime out of it at release to be entertained for a little while.

Xiaoki

Interesting:

So is alliance system is just XP gained while in groups that gives a weekly reward?
Yeah, and the way you get experience in groups is through medals which means speed running is detrimental.

Also, people on your Friends list will contribute to your Alliance experience when they do stuff even if you're not logged in.

Moneal

Last week I would have called this a total pass for me. I didn't get access till Saturday, even though some that I gave friend codes to did, and then it was crashing and rubberbanding the whole time, it was basically unplayable for me. Now I hope I can get in day one. This week I had buttery smooth gameplay. No hiccups, I was even able to play interceptor properly and it was exactly as I wanted it to be and how the gameplay vids made it out to be. playing interceptor last week was probably the worst gaming experience I had ever had. Melee was impossible and I died constantly due to lag. Glad I gave it one more shot this week.

Don't want to sound like an ass, but people complaining about bullet sponge enemies aren't playing the game right. I know the demo doesn't explain the whole combo system to you. I feel people expected this to play like destiny, and have been playing it like destiny. Saving their skills for bosses. I got in a couple groups that played that way and it was a chore to get through anything. I am glad it doesn't play like destiny in that regard. Skills are almost always off cooldown. they are meant to be used all the time and do the bulk of the damage for the most part. it makes playing different javs feel actually different. compared to destiny where the gameplay of each class was not much different, and the way to change gameplay was choosing different types of guns. If you are using your skills and others you are with are too then most things melt. Sure there are a couple big bosses that I would say are spongy but they are bosses and have interesting mechanics.

I don't mind the push to make the game more social, and a gold bonus each week based on your activity seems cool.

But I'd prefer guilds at launch and the alliance system to be based on that.

Not sure I like it based on the Origin friends list.

Bigfroth

The swimming areas are terrible, Camera has a whole feels bad. Playing as freelancer I just didn't feel powerful all guns felt weak. Hated how you hit a grunt enemy with both powers and unload clips into it and still has it shields lol. In the story of anthem didn't freelancers get there ass's kicked? I believe it lol There tech is weak.

I have like one person on my origins friend list. Hopefully there will be a thread of people changing IDs for the alliance XP

Lol. I don't mind adding people I'm actually gonna play with.

But I don't want to feel the need to have 2,000 people on my friends list. :messenger_tongue:

Typhares

Lol. I don't mind adding people I'm actually gonna play with.

But I don't want to feel the need to have 2,000 people on my friends list. :messenger_tongue:

Bear in mind only the top 5 contributors of your alliance are actually counted towards the coin bonus. So you don't need a lot of people, just some that actually play.

Every day I thank the lord that I'm not so jaded and that I can still enjoy video games without worrying about graphics or framerates or why they all play similar to each other. No that's not sarcasm. And yes, I want a Colossus action figure.

Typhares

So after this weekend here is my final impression: cautiously optimistic!
When the game runs well I had fun even with randoms so I can imagine with a better team it would be even better.
I tried destiny 2 and didn't get into it, the division even less but this one I like.
End game is not a concern to me because I have such limited playtime that by the time I get there more things will be added for sure.
So it's mostly performance/bugs that concerns me at this point. Hopefully the final build is much better but I will wait and see before considering buying it.

Last edited:

ZeMMiK

I loved it, Stronghold was the best mission , A ballsack on legs :) , The sound is awesome and a bit arcady, walking in the city for the story is boring and not my style, the soon you are in the suit it is nice, I do not need that part but the demo made me a believer and I will order it.

VertigoOA

Banned
Yea so just bounties and strongholds for end game and then some comments about seasonal events. According to that article.

It is what it is.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I am excited for the game for sure. It feels a lot like D3 for me which means I will sink all of the hours into it. Don’t have many people I know in origin so I would be down to add some folks of anyone wants to play/split XP.

I am excited for the game for sure. It feels a lot like D3 for me which means I will sink all of the hours into it. Don’t have many people I know in origin so I would be down to add some folks of anyone wants to play/split XP.

I’m definitely looking to add names at least for the free xp. Sounds like we don’t even need to actually group up to get it

My impressions of the game:

- It's buggy and glitchy. Literally mobs disappear during gunfire. During a cutscene it froze entirely that I had to skip the cutscene. I've had errors launching me back to the PS4 dashboard.

- I was in awe of the trailer. This does not impress me this feels like a watered down (i expected I guess) version of it.
- It's a Mass effect Andromeda reskin with Destiny slapped on lets face it
- Mobs are a bullet sponge
- Flying is alright but it's limited

I really want to like this but they are making it hard

Holy shit I love this game. The guns/explosives sound so powerful and just the overall feeling of power & badassery is tough to match in anything I've played recently (Titanfall comes to mind). I'm a Colossus/Ranger guy and enjoy going back and forth. Main problem with the gameplay right now is sound dropping out/lack of indicators when you are taking damage sometimes. Other than that, I'm pretty much sold. Liked the little bit of story was there and the gameplay loop has me hooked. Looking like day one for me.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Can't make it through the stronghold without "server has shutdown" this afternoon. Three times in a row now, sigh.

Top Bottom