• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

Part 1 of his review.
46 minutes.

Me and the gf is enjoying it so far with thew 10hr trial, though that might be because its something we can play together. I don't see myself playing this alone however, the story is utter balls.

Where are all the people who kept saying ME: Andromeda was the B team. As I said before the Bioware of old is long dead, this is just EA cashing in on the Bioware name, might as well be called EA Edmonton.

Typhares

I'm starting to think i'm the only person actually enjoying Anthem.
8 hours in the beta, 16 hours in the full game so far, and i'm playing solo.
Of course i wish Bioware had kept doing what they do best, but i enjoy the game.

I'm having a blast, I haven't hit any annoying bugs just some UI stuff.
I like fort Tarsis, taking my time to talk to the people around and getting my contracts. But the gameplay and the flying god damn I can't get enough.
I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore, I don't have the time but I put 11 hours in the game in two days before going on holiday. Haven't done that in a while.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

So here's a novel idea. You can make first impressions only once. No, that's not the novel idea, that's a matter of fact.

How about getting rid of all the convoluted "who gets to play first"-schemes, and release the game for all at once? At which point the game should be ready. Not all this bullshit of "but it will all be fixed, when the game is really, truly, pinky swear, released?"
Same thing happened with Destiny.

Destiny 1 had a bad launch and every thread even mildly related to Destiny was trolled hard for years but Destiny 1 sold well and with updates and expansions turned it around.

Same thing happened with The Division 1.

And the The Division sold even more than Destiny.

If Anthem can meet sales expectations and put out some good updates in a timely manner(which they seem to be doing so far) then all of this will be forgotten except by the most hardcore of trolls.

Neverwas

I didn't want to spent money on this with all the mixed impressions, but I found a gift card I had forgotten about, so I went ahead and preordered.

nowhat

If Anthem can meet sales expectations and put out some good updates in a timely manner(which they seem to be doing so far) then all of this will be forgotten except by the most hardcore of trolls.
I'm not so convinced that this will be forgotten, nor that Anthem will meet sales expectations. EA is all about the quarters. Not convinced? Why was Anthem released in obviously unfinished state, when it could have been delayed and be released in a much more complete form? Q4 fiscal year for EA. That may seem cynical, but that's really the reason.

Now, why would EA continue to support both critically and commercially failed product? (only a few reviews are in, and the financials remain to be seen, that's just my initial impression) The answer is, they won't. They already got Apex Legends churning out all that sweet MTX money. Sure, expect a few patches. Tons of new stuff in the store, too, naturally. But my hopes for DA4 have got a lot thinner recently.

I guess it says something about the game that it's the first Bioware game I like. I can see how Bioware fans might feel a little jilted.

Last edited:
Ooh. So, Pulse Blast wasn't even working right. Will have to play w/ it again after the patch.

I'm not in favor of them, but these staggered releases are here to stay, and I know I'm part of the problem. :/

Now, why would EA continue to support both critically and commercially failed product? (only a few reviews are in, and the financials remain to be seen, that's just my initial impression) The answer is, they won't. They already got Apex Legends churning out all that sweet MTX money. Sure, expect a few patches. Tons of new stuff in the store, too, naturally. But my hopes for DA4 have got a lot thinner recently.

A commercially failed product? We'll see, but people were saying the same stuff about Division. These GaaS games are a different animal.

VertigoOA

Banned

Destiny 1 had a bad launch and every thread even mildly related to Destiny was trolled hard for years but Destiny 1 sold well and with updates and expansions turned it around.

Division had a better launch than Destiny but it did not outsell Life to date by any means.

Destiny also had a solid launch. I cannot think of an online game on consoles that has been more stable than destiny. After playing more of these you learn to appreciate how smooth it runs 99% of the time. Day one reviews were marred by people not understand that the best content in the game was launching a few days later.

I expect anthem to be a hit. Can’t be worse than dragon age inquisition... because even andromeda is better than inquisition. Review scores don’t affect this shit

And also... Witcher 3 has outclassed everything bioware has done not kotor.

nowhat

nowhat nowhat I guess if you think OpenCritic scores are an indication of commercial success for a game like Anthem. I don't.
Fair enough. I maintain, in order to get that player base going, you have to have at least some kind of positive reception. And in some cases, that's not even enough.

On a personal note, I played through the beta (err, "demo" - it was a beta really), and have no interest in this game. But I still wish it does decently, because I want my DA4.

VertigoOA

Banned
And to be honest this game still looks more enjoyable than the division. I gave division a try to many times over the last three years. It’s the typical sterile ubishit. Wow they tuned armor builds n such.. it still was boring as hell. Competent sure but not fun.

I’m totally checked out on the sequel regardless of how stacked it is with content. These games are better suited in a fantasy setting. Don’t want to have some abysmal boss battle against a chopper. Vanilla division campaign was the drizzling shits

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
VertigoOA VertigoOA Right. To each their own. But there's no denying how popular Division is among looter shooter fans imho.

I know. I can recognize it’s solid. The gunplay was the best tps stuff from then too. I played it quite a bit. It’s just one those things that after awhile I realized I didn’t like it... it just had addicting characteristics.

I doubt division 2 having a monster debut but who knows... ubisoft’s Success is often unnoticed. I Buy their games myself. I just feel like they legitimately make one type of game and just recycle it in different genres... it’s beginig to actually ruin things for me... because as a Greek I should be loving Asscreed Odyssey (hell he even kinda looks like me when I had long hair) but ... I just don’t want to play it... and I have nothing but praise for it too... but I dunno... they just feel sterile to me

Has anyone tried warface? Umm I was insanely shocked by what it has... Br, traditional pvp, pve, raids... I was like lol wtf!?

Last edited:
I can't continue the main quest because i'm stuck in quest step. I need to talk to some commander Vule. But i can't find him in tarsis or anywhere else. Neat.

I’m finally in game and getting started. What settings did MnK users settle on for flying? It feels alright out the box but seems like it could use a little tweaking

I’m sorry but just because people are sick of being ripped off by full priced, unfinished games with hardly any content doesn’t make them trolls.

Last edited:

McCheese

Patch just landed.

For those not following, this is the day one patch, but released 2 days early or 5 days late depending on how you see it.

(Don't call it the "+5-2 days" patch, Square-Enix already copyrighted it for the next Kingdom Hearts).

Last edited:

Stuart360

Patch just landed.

For those not following, this is the day one patch, but released 2 days early or 5 days late depending on how you see it.

I would call it the "+5-2 days" patchs, but Square-Enix already copyrighted it for the next Kingdom Hearts.
I hope the patch isnt too big, i only have 9gb left on my SSD, yikes.

McCheese

Origin one is like 4GB I think.

Remember, this is the jesus patch, the one which will magically unmake all those terrible gameplay decisions, re-write the story, fix all the bugs, lock the game to 30fps on your apple watch, add proper team communication and possibly regain hair loss. So be very very careful with it, you don't want to accidently solve world hunger etc by dropping it.

Where are most of the big site reviews anyways?? What is there a review embargo or something even though the games been out for nearly a week now to the public?

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

McCheese

EA asked them to delay reviews until after they've played with this patch.

Nothing to do with the fact it would be too late for folks to cancel pre-orders on PSN, or physical copies by then.. nope, the patch is just amazing and contains the missing 85% of the game.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
EA asked them to delay reviews until after they've played with this patch.

Nothing to do with the fact it would be too late for folks to cancel pre-orders on PSN, or physical copies by then.. nope, the patch is just amazing and contains the missing 85% of the game.

Who isn't able to cancel a physical copy? And if you pre-ordered on PSN you weren't going to get a cancel anyway. So I'm curious what exactly you are railing against.

McCheese

Who isn't able to cancel a physical copy? And if you pre-ordered on PSN you weren't going to get a cancel anyway. So I'm curious what exactly you are railing against.

Amazon dispatch them like, right now.

Sony let you cancel in the EU 48 hours before launch, once pre-load occurs they won't.

If you have started to download the main part of your order you cannot cancel it. Please note that download may happen automatically if you have enabled Automatic Download in your system settings.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's not like the old days of console gaming when prices stuck. Nervous publishers and digital deals are fast now.

Just wait it out. And any game that get kicked in the balls with shitty reviews will get dumped ta half price quick.

Ya, I know..... some games you wanna be day one so you can hurry up and learn the maps, unlock all the best guns and climb the leaderboard before anyone else. I don't know about you guys, but I had my fill playing Call of Duty and EA Sports at launch to death years back. The yearning for racking up stats against noobs who join in 3 weeks later is gone.

Just have fun and save some bucks bargain binning. It'll also show the big publishers a revenue stream tailing off. I guarantee it'll make them smarten up for the next game. They have enough resources to come back hard with a better product.

Of course, small indie studios might not have that luxury. So as usual, give those games at $9.99 made by 8 people in a basement some latitiude.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Amazon dispatch them like, right now.

Sony let you cancel in the EU 48 hours before launch, once pre-load occurs they won't.

You can return your copy to Amazon if unsatisfied, even if open. And the people who pre-ordered this game after hearing about "the issues" only have themselves to blame if they are unsatisfied.

Iorv3th

Part 1 of his review.
46 minutes.

His review is spot on. I played for a couple hours and the game is horribly mediocore. The gameplay loop is just boring and has no variety at all. The matchmaking critics he has are spot on, same thing happened to me where it loaded me into a much later mission as a low level and I had no idea what was going on. The game is really underwhelming for a Bioware game. At this point I don't have any desire to go back and play more of it. It's just so boring.

I don't know guys, I'm having a blast with this game now. The guns kick like Bruce Lee with thump, the flying-floating-flying movement is glorious and the world is gorgeous. That's coming from someone who took the game of his radar after the actual second demo weekend. Picked up the trial and will be picking it up day one now as well. I've played all the looter shooters, and this one is the most fun. Definitely going to sink a ton of time into it. Its a great offset to the convoluted power system of destiny, the bullet sponge bosses of D1&2 and neverending rat race of Warframe. There on to something here and I like the devs responsiveness as it suggests lots of support going forward.

Finished the campaing. It bored me to tears.

Say what you want about Destiny 1 campaign. I still remember the first time i fought the vex, the hive or the cabal. I remember the stranger and the black garden.
I just beat Anthem's campaign and i can't remember anything cool about it.

sol_bad

You can return your copy to Amazon if unsatisfied, even if open. And the people who pre-ordered this game after hearing about "the issues" only have themselves to blame if they are unsatisfied.

Yeah, people just need to stop pre-ordering. Who gives a shit about a few digital trinkets.

His review is spot on. I played for a couple hours and the game is horribly mediocore. The gameplay loop is just boring and has no variety at all. The matchmaking critics he has are spot on, same thing happened to me where it loaded me into a much later mission as a low level and I had no idea what was going on. The game is really underwhelming for a Bioware game. At this point I don't have any desire to go back and play more of it. It's just so boring.

I was pretty damn hyped when this game was first revealed, showed all my friends the game play. I'm astounded it has released in this state, I was astounded when SkillUp showed the part where a level 3 spawned in to the final boss. They have had 6 years of development and can't even get matchmaking right? What on Earth have they been doing?
I'll be sticking to Apex and Horizon for now. And play through the 3 Borderlands games for my loot shoot needs.

Last edited:
So, vanity chests are being added to strongholds. Four chests spawn after boss.

Keys are earned from dailies. Each key use gives a non-dupe vanity item to each participant.\

Finished the campaing. It bored me to tears.

Say what you want about Destiny 1 campaign. I still remember the first time i fought the vex, the hive or the cabal. I remember the stranger and the black garden.
I just beat Anthem's campaign and i can't remember anything cool about it.

No doubt. Bungie nailed the cinematics. Still sticks with me.

VertigoOA

Banned
So, vanity chests are being added to strongholds. Four chests spawn after boss.

Keys are earned from dailies. Each key use gives a non-dupe vanity item to each participant.\

No doubt. Bungie nailed the cinematics. Still sticks with me.

I knew a dude who had Peter Dinklage saying “we’ve woken the hive” as his text alert. I want it

Everyone wants super serious dark storytelling. Meh. Not necessary. It bored me in previous bioware games too. I just tune out

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I don't know guys, I'm having a blast with this game now. The guns kick like Bruce Lee with thump, the flying-floating-flying movement is glorious and the world is gorgeous. That's coming from someone who took the game of his radar after the actual second demo weekend. Picked up the trial and will be picking it up day one now as well. I've played all the looter shooters, and this one is the most fun. Definitely going to sink a ton of time into it. Its a great offset to the convoluted power system of destiny, the bullet sponge bosses of D1&2 and neverending rat race of Warframe. There on to something here and I like the devs responsiveness as it suggests lots of support going forward.

I'm glad your enjoying the game, but this sentence doesn't make any sense to me at all. Anthem has more Bullet Sponges than anything in destiny. Every enemy feels like a bullet sponge as your gun doesn't have that same punch.

Greedings

It makes sense. Bioware does not have the chops for this kind of game, especially when all the talent left years ago. Bioware is on its last legs, and frankly I'd be glad to see it keel over and die. It's not the same company it was and has been getting by on its name with mediocre games since ME2.

Comments about Anthem has gone FAR beyond unhappy consumers.

When people enter every topic about Anthem to post stuff like

then, Yes, that is trolling.

I could argue this game is trolling, my comment could be seen as trolling that is a given but the game is genuinely quite bad.

I mean I had more fun with Fallout 76.

Edit: Wait wait wait.. did you just quote me in the OT? I've not even posted in here.

Last edited:

Typhares

Full livestream where they discuss the patch just released and the next one coming (vanity chest for finishin stronghold and replaying story missions as legendary version)

Top Bottom