• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem |OT| Fly, you fools!

Mista

Banned
I don’t care about reviews. The game is fun! Also the reviewing standards for a GaaS should be different than any other game

nowhat

Also the reviewing standards for a GaaS should be different than any other game
...how so? The reviewers should review the game as it is, on launch, right?

Take something like NMS. At its current state, it's actually quite good (if you're into the genre). At release, it was rubbish, and it was rightfully derided as such. So should the reviews have stated "this can actually get good, maybe, just give it some time"? No, they stated that it sucks, which at the time, it did.

The game is shit, no doubt about it. However hitting combo's is triggering something inside my primordial lizard brain to keep me coming back.

I mean everything is a disaster in this title. The de-sync/lag is unbelivable, broken animations, non existent AI on par with Earth Defense Force/Koei games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's self hatred and masochism that's keeping me going, I'd probably be better off hiring a prositute to stand on my balls/beat the fuck out of me for an hour.

manfestival

The game is shit, no doubt about it. However hitting combo's is triggering something inside my primordial lizard brain to keep me coming back.

I mean everything is a disaster in this title. The de-sync/lag is unbelivable, broken animations, non existent AI on par with Earth Defense Force/Koei games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's self hatred and masochism that's keeping me going, I'd probably be better off hiring a prositute to stand on my balls/beat the fuck out of me for an hour.
I gotta say, when I was playing the demo... nailing those combos were the only thing driving me to play the game more since everything else was so... rough

kingbean

I just did the first mission after getting to Fort Tarsis. It's nothing special as far as mission objectives go but goddamn did I feel like a badass controlling the javelin.

I've been waiting for release day to play with my friends so I've only barely played, but I'm super excited to really start the game.

There’s a reddit thread for people trying to fill their origin friends list up for Alliance bonuses,

Just FYI

———-

I managed to play a few missions last night, finally.

Game looks great and so far pretty smooth at 1440p with mix of high and ultra, think I’m gonna then down the effects tho.

I still can’t nail flying with mouse, might just have to go controller

Xenon

Games should be judged by their state at release, but if it's a GaaS title I do believe future content should be considered as well if it's announced as free. The big problem I see with reviews of this game and others that get steam rolled by reviewers is the sentiment of hate already exists online and they seem to play right into it. Especially when people are comparing it games like Warframe at it's current state to a release of a new IP. How is that even close to fair.

I'm glad your enjoying the game, but this sentence doesn't make any sense to me at all. Anthem has more Bullet Sponges than anything in destiny. Every enemy feels like a bullet sponge as your gun doesn't have that same punch.
Agree to disagree here. I think one of the things that has helped offset that feeling is making sure to utilize weapons/specials that attack weaknesses of enemy types, as well as combos leveraging group speialities. It doesn't feel pronounced here,and from my experience it's relatively reduced.

Last edited:
Oh, man. I had fun w/ Too Human despite the hate. But IDK.

This comparison has come up for a while now, but I don't really feel it.

Weapons look so boring in this game. Look at warframe, destiny, borderlands. They all have cool looking weapons.
Weapons in anthem are these rectangular shaped things you can't tell if they are shotguns or assault rifles. Doesn't matter which tier.
And most important none looks futuristic. It's the same old weapon archetypes without an iota of creativity.

ultrazilla

I gotta turn on my PS4. Apparently the game is now live or will be sometime today instead of tomorrow? That would be cool. Interesting to see
how the PS4 Pro version runs compared to my PC version.

Weapons look so boring in this game. Look at warframe, destiny, borderlands. They all have cool looking weapons.
Weapons in anthem are these rectangular shaped things you can't tell if they are shotguns or assault rifles. Doesn't matter which tier.
And most important none looks futuristic. It's the same old weapon archetypes without an iota of creativity.

I agree the weapons aren’t a strong point in my experience so far

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm glad your enjoying the game, but this sentence doesn't make any sense to me at all. Anthem has more Bullet Sponges than anything in destiny. Every enemy feels like a bullet sponge as your gun doesn't have that same punch.

He's probably talking about Division 1 and 2, not destiny.

ultrazilla

Saw a mention from someone on Twitter that they were playing the PS4 version "a day early" so I checked my countdown and it's still midnight tonight.

A good tip for anyone with the Xbox or PS4, the "day 1" patch has already been pushed out. If you have Anthem pre-loaded, click on the title and "check for update".
It will download the patch for you so it'll be ready to go at launch.

Some more random thoughts, impressions, opinions after 25 hours with the game on PC.

And as Anthem is a "sci-fi, loot, shooter" I will be comparing it to Destiny as most people are using it(I think a very fair comparison) as a "measurement" tool.

-There are two vendors for the micro-transaction shop literally across from each other in Fort Tarsis. Not sure why there are two shops in Fort Tarsis, let alone
across from each other.

-Combat just feels so good. Bioware could have done a much better job IMO of explaining how to do combos and multi-kills but combat in general feels fluid
and fun. I can't quite say it's "Destiny" good because the gun play is fantastic in that game but Anthem is doing a great job of giving the player a ton of combat
options and strategies to use while fighting enemies.

-A big problem I see going forward is with the play area in Anthem. It's basically just 2 biomes. We have the overgrown forest type look with scattered ruins, fauna
and waterfalls and then we have some of the underwater area you can dive into. That's it. There's no real diversity in environments like we get with Destiny where we
have multiple planets and locations to visit, all with unique looks and interesting things to do. No buildings to go into and really explore. Everything is just grounded
in the one "connected map". I've got 25 hours of play time on the PC version and frankly, I'm already kinda growing tired of the map already. It needs to be expanded big time
to give players more things to see and do. Whether Bioware plans on doing this somehow with their "cataclysms" remains to be seen.

-Getting "loot" during game play still feels underwhelming. Destiny does a fantastic job of making loot drops exciting. Green, blue, purple and yellow engrams that drop and
when you pick them up, cool animation and sound effects show you right away what exactly dropped for you. The only ones that don't show what you get have to be taken to the Cryptarch to decipher. Anthem has NONE of this. You get rather boring triangle shaped, muted color "loot" drops that go directly into your inventory and you don't know what you get until a mission or free play has ended. It's a bad system and terribly boring. A big issue in a "loot" shooter.

Anyone have Legion of Dawn preloaded on PS4? Does it comes as a separate file when downloaded? Want to see if the extras can be shared between different PSN accounts on the same system.

Dthomp

Anyone have Legion of Dawn preloaded on PS4? Does it comes as a separate file when downloaded? Want to see if the extras can be shared between different PSN accounts on the same system.

I wonder if it isn't just delivered in game when you get through a portion?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Game crashed again about an hour in. I've literally had 11 hard crashes with the game since "early access" last week and thought the patch would help. With the excessive load times and kinda just repetitive content, I think I'll just sit it out for a while. Was cool for a bit, but just not enough their to make me care enough to fight through all the technical issues. Games stunning on PC though and the Storm class is really fun to use. Hope they sort it out sooner than later.

And for the love of Talos, get rid of the overheat flying mechanic. Let enemies overheat you from shooting you or whatever, but just general flying around is so fucking annoying having to manage that shit when you wanna just free roam.

It's like, "on my way Happy Hogan, gotta skim the water so I'm cooled off enough to fly up their to rescue you and Pepper Pots."

They also need to fundamentally change how loot functions. You have no clue what you pick up when you get a drop and takes 2 separate load screens to even equip it. You absolutely need to be able to equip anything you pick up in the field and not only at base. Also missing loot because you are being loaded closer to you squad is terrible.

The U.I. feels really over designed and the world needs to be rethought on what needs to change behind the scenes to make it a fluid OPEN world. There needs to be drastically more communication tools like a ping system.

This just feels WAY too early and it DOES have a lot of potential, but it really needs some fundamental changes. They should have kept it in the oven and had a really strong Next Gen showing when the new consoles are released. I'm more surprised by the fact that THIS is what we get from Bioware after 6 years? This?! I'm now more interested in the development and behind the scenes of this game than I am the actual game.

I hope they have some black magic fuckery to use because I want to like the game, but it just isn't very good or much their after about 11 hours of playing. Played at 3440x1440 with a 1080ti and it ran well when it wasn't crashing, so there's that I guess. I really like the combo system too. O, and again the Storm class is the fucking bees knees.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The funny thing is the "reviews"

I dont know about you guys but I laugh a lot and I enjoy the reviews (only to make fun of them).
Despite having stupid arguments to lower score, they will not take long to reproduce the same review and make copy paste in the same or a nearby score .

Angry joe could be the best example

I would give an 8 to this game honestly.
Nor is it the great wonder.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't know guys, I'm having a blast with this game now. The guns kick like Bruce Lee with thump, the flying-floating-flying movement is glorious and the world is gorgeous. That's coming from someone who took the game of his radar after the actual second demo weekend. Picked up the trial and will be picking it up day one now as well. I've played all the looter shooters, and this one is the most fun. Definitely going to sink a ton of time into it. Its a great offset to the convoluted power system of destiny, the bullet sponge bosses of D1&2 and neverending rat race of Warframe. There on to something here and I like the devs responsiveness as it suggests lots of support going forward.
The Anthem bosses aren't spongey?

Arkage

Banned
I'll be logging in for the first time tonight! Got my new laptop today just in time, and the game came free with it.

I don’t care about reviews. The game is fun! Also the reviewing standards for a GaaS should be different than any other game

It depends on if they turn things around. Bioware hasn't done a GaaS type thing yet so they still have to prove they can. I'm hopeful they will as so much of their reputation seems to be riding on this singular game, but we shall see.

kinjx11

Banned
launch day patch on PC made things a little better , added HDR toggle option

Loading times are not better , actually a bit worse than before

Iorv3th

Agree to disagree here. I think one of the things that has helped offset that feeling is making sure to utilize weapons/specials that attack weaknesses of enemy types, as well as combos leveraging group speialities. It doesn't feel pronounced here,and from my experience it's relatively reduced.

How do you utilize things to attack weaknesses when you can't change your loadout without cancelling the mission and going back to the hub?

Xiaoki

How do you utilize things to attack weaknesses when you can't change your loadout without cancelling the mission and going back to the hub?
The only weakness exploitation that would be gained by changing your load out would be elemental damage versus shields or armor.

Ice and electric attacks do more damage to energy shields while fire and acid attacks do more damage to armor.

You can still attack weak points and use Combos even if you don't have a load out specialized to a specific enemy type.

VertigoOA

Banned
And I remember when people bitched about destiny’s character creation. Its their art direction and going overboard with the scrawny, feminine, pretty boy thing.

And interceptor javelin is ONLY female with its armor? I bet there’s some lore that explains how stupid that is.

We can’t change loadouts while on the field!?!?!?!? Is that what I just read? Like I can’t equip the gear I just got? Oh boy. If you can equip that shiny new assault rifle that dropped on the spot... they will. There’s no escaping that.

Last edited:

Moneal

And I remember when people bitched about destiny’s character creation. Its their art direction and going overboard with the scrawny, feminine, pretty boy thing.

And interceptor javelin is ONLY female with its armor? I bet there’s some lore that explains how stupid that is.

We can’t change loadouts while on the field!?!?!?!? Is that what I just read? Like I can’t equip the gear I just got? Oh boy. If you can equip that shiny new assault rifle that dropped on the spot... they will. There’s no escaping that.
you dont know what you get till you leave the mission, only the rarity.

BerenKaneda

Neo Member

Developers said that Javelins have no gender, I suppose that the interceptor looks more femenine because its a light armour more focused on aerodynamics but thats all. Helena Tarsis was a woman and her armour was a bulky colossus one.

You can change your weapons on the field, you cant change your javelin neither have the loot dropped on that assault / mission / freeplay, you need to wait for the results screen at the end.

VertigoOA

Banned
Developers said that Javelins have no gender, I suppose that the interceptor looks more femenine because its a light armour more focused on aerodynamics but thats all. Helena Tarsis was a woman and her armour was a bulky colossus one.

You can change your weapons on the field, you cant change your javelin neither have the loot dropped on that assault / mission / freeplay, you need to wait for the results screen at the end.

It has breasts.

Played the first few missions on hard. Kinda wished I went private because surprise, surprise... it’s just the typical bullshit where players just rush thru the mission so you can’t even enjoy the damn game.

Art direction is trash. It reminds me of Horizon: Zero Dawn. It even has the overly expressive dumb faces like horizon. Hyper detail, too much post processing nonsense... it all just kinda bleeds into itself. I’ll get used to it.

I’m gonna stick to it for a bit but I have incredible buyers remorse right now. I turned it off not because it’s 3:30 and I’m sleepy (actually up early to get to work)... because I don’t want to play.

Last edited:

Freeman76

It is a lot of fun but they have missed a trick. The content is similar to Destiny, shoot shit loot shit basically, but Destiny gives you shitloads of valid reasons to do this, with atttactive loot and fun objectives, public events etc. Thats the part Bioware have underlooked here. I reckon I will get 50-100 hours out of Anthem but nowhere near the 400+ on Destiny.

Im ok with the way the loot drops in the sense you cant see what it is, PSO used to be like that with ?SPECIAL WEAPON that you took to the tekker, but the lack of variety in appearance is like going back to the DC days of PSO, not great in 2019

McCheese

Whoa, hold up - the back of the box (ps4) says it's won over 90 awards.

Cheeky sods only won those best of e3 awards because of the faked vertical slice.

Last edited:

BerenKaneda

Neo Member
It has breasts.

Not sure... It doesn´t look like breasts to me, maybe you saw a specific vanity piece.

WCCFanthem7-740x429.jpg

Feelings about Hard mode? I´m thinking of playing on hard too but I dont want to strugle so much until the Endgame.

Typhares

It is a lot of fun but they have missed a trick. The content is similar to Destiny, shoot shit loot shit basically, but Destiny gives you shitloads of valid reasons to do this, with atttactive loot and fun objectives, public events etc. Thats the part Bioware have underlooked here. I reckon I will get 50-100 hours out of Anthem but nowhere near the 400+ on Destiny.

Im ok with the way the loot drops in the sense you cant see what it is, PSO used to be like that with ?SPECIAL WEAPON that you took to the tekker, but the lack of variety in appearance is like going back to the DC days of PSO, not great in 2019

Oh maybe that's why I like it so much, PSO is the only game I ever played for more than 800 hours. I see a bit of it in anthem in the pacing. It is slow but I love it for some reason.

Freeman76

Oh maybe that's why I like it so much, PSO is the only game I ever played for more than 800 hours. I see a bit of it in anthem in the pacing. It is slow but I love it for some reason.

PSO is my all time top game, spent thousands of hours playing it and basically spent the rest of my gaming years trying to fill that void. Destiny and MH are very close, and this will be too, but it lacks some things that could make it great. Visual variety in drops, like Ep 1 & 2, gives your items a feel of prestige. PsO had drop tables for each mob and area, which meat you could plan runs for that rare drop. This is just not focussed like that, so it feels messy. It feels like the ideas were there, but the Project Manager let everyone swivel on their chairs too much when they should have been working. Still its an easy 8/10 from me.

ROMhack

Yeah, there should be an acceptance that they're a bit crap a priori.

Don't take my snark seriously btw.

Last edited:

Typhares

PSO is my all time top game, spent thousands of hours playing it and basically spent the rest of my gaming years trying to fill that void. Destiny and MH are very close, and this will be too, but it lacks some things that could make it great. Visual variety in drops, like Ep 1 & 2, gives your items a feel of prestige. PsO had drop tables for each mob and area, which meat you could plan runs for that rare drop. This is just not focussed like that, so it feels messy. It feels like the ideas were there, but the Project Manager let everyone swivel on their chairs too much when they should have been working. Still its an easy 8/10 from me.

For sure, I'm not the teenager I used to be anyway and probably can't put that much time into a game anymore. The moment to moment gameplay of anthem just makes me feel happy :p

Last edited:
Feelings about Hard mode? I´m thinking of playing on hard too but I dont want to strugle so much until the Endgame.

I graduated to hard pretty early on because normal seemed too easy most of the time with four people.

The Heart of Rage stronghold is the one time where hard seems really hard.

I finished all tombs challenges but looks like one is bugged. Ultimate defeats stuck at 48/50

That sucks. BioWare said during the live stream that the patched fixed that. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom