• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem (PC/XB1/PS4, EA/BioWare, Fall 2018) announced, full reveal at Microsoft conf

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
No problem. Keep up the good work on the Star Trek and B5 threads in off-topic, I'm having a blast participating in those.

Aww, hey, thanks! :D

We'll find out soon enough, but my total guess is third-person with a potential first-person option.

Also, sorry if it's old hat now, but where is the spring 2018 stuff coming from? Super curious about that!

It's listed on the official YouTube channel.

EDIT: It says Fall 2018 now. See the posts down the page!

Renekton

Lol at people thinking this is exclusive, would be a finically disaster after titanfall exclusive deals and rise of tomb raider. Especially with the market share now
I thought exclusivity made sense. Xbox market rescued Mass Effect Andromeda's sales somewhat, plus it would make a great showcase for Scorpio's power.

alt27

We'll find out soon enough, but my total guess is third-person with a potential first-person option.

Also, sorry if it's old hat now, but where is the spring 2018 stuff coming from? Super curious about that!

EA Investors call. They said it was pushed back to that date.

Keasar

The last couple of games from Bioware have left quite a bad taste for me. If it is true that this isnt an RPG but more of an action title, my interest might be lit again. Maybe a action game fits better for todays Bioware development enviroment.

Will see at the Microsoft conference how this is turning out.

Madness

Lol at people thinking this is exclusive, would be a finically disaster after titanfall exclusive deals and rise of tomb raider. Especially with the market share now

As opposed to what? SFV was a giant flop too. That didn't stop Sony and Capcom pursuing exclusivity together. These days, third party exclusives are rarely successful. If MS pays enough though, the decline in sales is made up by the guaranteed money.

But it isn't exclusive. MS just has marketing rights which is why the gameplay reveal happens tomorrow. But it is coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. They probably wanted to use it to highlight 4K and HDR on Scorpio much like Mass Effect Andromeda 4K and HDR was shown on PS4 Pro.

alt27

I thought exclusivity made sense. Xbox market rescued Mass Effect Andromeda's sales somewhat, plus it would make a great showcase for Scorpio's power.

This is an always online game that requires mass amount of players to be financially viable. Releasing on one platform makes zero sense

Marketing deals for multiplatform games work. There is a reason they are so abundant.

The game is not exclusive but MS is clearly trying to make the franchise associated with the Xbox platform similarly to how Destiny is most strongly associated with PlayStation.

That is if this is a full on marketing deal and not just a one off stage reveal

tribal24

Banned

It would if it was the beginning of the gen. But if this game is similar to destiny the more players the better.EA would definately not try to take the lost on the IP for fragmentation this late in the game.

tribal24

Banned
As opposed to what? SFV was a giant flop too. That didn't stop Sony and Capcom pursuing exclusivity together. These days, third party exclusives are rarely successful. If MS pays enough though, the decline in sales is made up by the guaranteed money.

But it isn't exclusive. MS just has marketing rights which is why the gameplay reveal happens tomorrow. But it is coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. They probably wanted to use it to highlight 4K and HDR on Scorpio much like Mass Effect Andromeda 4K and HDR was shown on PS4 Pro.

Capcom for sure we're going to make SFV but we prolly wouldn't have seen it that early if it wasn't for Sony stepping in. Big difference as EA has more funds then capcom in this case.

bluexy

The Official Youtube channel is saying Fall 2018 now.

Damn. Just checked. You're right.

Welcome to the official YouTube channel for Anthem™, a new game from EA's BioWare studio. Explore a landscape of primeval beauty, confront the dangers you find, and grow in power with every step.

Subscribe now to see the latest Anthem gameplay videos and trailers.

Release Date: Fall 2018

It would if it was the beginning of the gen. But if this game is similar to destiny the more players the better.EA would definately not try to take the lost on the IP for fragmentation this late in the game.

Except you're wrong about Titanfall. It sold 4x as much as TF2 on both PS4/XB1 just by itself on XB1 on a MUCH lower install base.

TF1 was a win/win for Microsoft, and TF2 flopped multiplatform with incredibly larger install bases. Before anyone talks about other games being released in the same timeframe, realize that Microsoft advertised the living hell out of TF and reaped the rewards, and the massive install base difference shouldn't have allowed TF2 to do so poorly.

Also, look at things like SFV and how bad that has done and think twice when you speak about "marketshare."

Renekton

Based on that type of game service model. There not cheap to run
With sizing on demand from vendors like Akamai, I think the ongoing service cost structure can be fluid depending on userbase. Upfont development cost notwithstanding of course :)

alt27

Except you're wrong about Titanfall. It sold 4x as much as TF2 on both PS4/XB1 just by itself on XB1 on a MUCH lower install base.

TF1 was a win/win for Microsoft, and TF2 flopped multiplatform.

Also, look at things like SFV and how bad that has done and think twice when you speak about "marketshare."

Nothing to do with TF2 being launched right between BF1 and COD? Wasnt Titanfall 1 also bundled with xbox for ever?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Online focus has killed half my interest.
In my case, it has killed almost all of my interest. I guess i'll wait and see gameplay at Xbox event, but i've absolutely no high hopes for this game. BioWare + online only stuff is not the way to go imho and i don't give a shit that online only games is much more popular nowadays.

tribal24

Banned

TF1 was a win/win for Microsoft, and TF2 flopped multiplatform with incredibly larger install bases. Before anyone talks about other games being released in the same timeframe, realize that Microsoft advertised the living hell out of TF and reaped the rewards, and the massive install base difference shouldn't have allowed TF2 to do so poorly.

It could have sold more on both platforms as it was a new ip. With the extra oomph in marketing they would have proabaly sold more if we had the same circumstances with two platforms and avilable to more people. Yes and same can be said about sfv but we would have saw sfv years from now.

Nothing to do with TF2 being launched right between BF1 and COD? Wasnt Titanfall 1 also bundled with xbox for ever?

Read my edit.

And it wasn't bundled forever, not to mention if you look at launch month sales you can see the disparity between both games sales so i5t doesn't take bundles into effect. Were titanfall bundles even a thing? It wasn't even close to minecraft xb1 bundles or uncharted ps4 bundles if it was because I worked retail and cannot remember them.

It could have sold more on both platforms as it was a new ip.

Or Microsofts massive advertising mega explosion helped propel it on the charts? if it wasn't exclusive it wouldn't have been advertised even a fraction of the way it was. Look at how much it sold on such a small install base and compare it to multiplats of both consoles at launch and you see that TFs success is directly due to MS.

Unless they've found a way to overcome all the technical issues with building an RPG on Frostbite, I'm not going to get my hopes up for this...

Anyone knows what engine they are using to develop Anthem? It's been a national anthem for the publisher to have everyone use Frostbite which has left past Bioware games to make it look frosty, but it has only left gamers thirsty!

tribal24

Banned
Or Microsofts massive advertising mega explosion helped propel it on the charts? if it wasn't exclusive it wouldn't have been advertised even a fraction of the way it was. Look at how much it sold on such a small install base and compare it to multiplats of both consoles at launch and you see that TFs success is directly due to MS.

I kind of think EA would have done the same marketing, they do it with all there big shooters a majority of the time. Ea didn't have another shooter at the time compared to when titanfall 2 released.

greenmind

Banned
image-png.27569662

I kind of think EA would have done the same marketing, they do it with all there big shooters a majority of the time. Ea didn't have another shooter at the time compared to when titanfall 2 released.
It also had the distinction of being the FIRST game from the creators of CALL OF DUTY. That sort of hype dies down around the sequel.

Hellshy.

I think the bundle had more to do with titanfall sales than anything else and the game could have sold just as well if it released on both console. Doing do might have helped the sequel sell more copies as well. We will never know and I am just speculating but do are you

I'm sorry, but posts like this show you simply don't know what you're talking about, and are instead trying to impose revisionist history.

It's not a matter of what you "think." EA didn't even market Battlefield 1 the way Microsoft marketed Titanfall, and that's Battlefield. This is why third party marketing rights even exist; the publisher can save an obscene amount of money by letting a console manufacturer advertise on their behalf. And Microsoft went crazy with TF.

Again, look at Titanfall sales (especially launch sales) and compare it to other multiplat titles at the time (hell, even now, compared to TF2 it's very lopsided even with the massively higher install base AND being multiplat).

I think the bundle had more to do with titanfall sales than anything else and the game could have sold just as well if it released on both console. Doing do might have helped the sequel sell more copies as well. We will never know and I am just speculating but do are you

Except you're wrong, because in the TF2 thread at launch the sales were being compared to launch numbers and first month numbers (NPD). So why do you mention a bundle? The bundle was with digital copies of the game and NPD did not track digital at the time, afaik.

As far as your last part, read above.

Top Bottom