• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem (PC/XB1/PS4, EA/BioWare, Fall 2018) announced, full reveal at Microsoft conf

illamap

Probably the game of the show for me since nothing else really grabs me from, Acti, Sony, Microsoft or ubisoft e3 catalog. Yea there might be some amazing unannounced game but i doubt it.

Hellshy.

I'm sorry, but posts like this show you simply don't know what you're talking about, and are instead trying to impose revisionist history.

It's not a matter of what you "think." EA didn't even market Battlefield 1 the way Microsoft marketed Titanfall, and that's Battlefield. This is why third party marketing rights even exist; the publisher can save an obscene amount of money by letting a console manufacturer advertise on their behalf. And Microsoft went crazy with TF.

Again, look at Titanfall sales (especially launch sales) and compare it to other multiplat titles at the time (hell, even now, compared to TF2 it's very lopsided even with the massively higher install base AND being multiplat).

Except you're wrong, because in the TF2 thread at launch the sales were being compared to launch numbers and first month numbers (NPD). So why do you mention a bundle? The bundle was with digital copies of the game and NPD did not track digital at the time, afaik.

As far as your last part, read above.

According to the last article I read tit an fall 1 sold 10million copies. I assumed bundles played a big roll in those sales but could be wrong. Assuming that npd doesn't track the bundle game sales bc it's a digital code it really doesn't matter anyway. Titan fall 2 was released with bad timing(bf1 release) when both consoles also already had plenty of shooter's . The first game released early in the gen cycle when gamers are thirsty for new ip and games to play. Yes the market it released in was smaller, it was also not flooded with quality online shooters. There are too many variables to be able to just say MS exclusivity is responsible for titan fall success. If you use your logic EA would never release a new ip on multiple platforms again and just sign deals. Do you see this being the future?

I'm wondering if Bioware and EA are truly committed to the investment this game is going to take. It caught Bungie and Activision off guard when they launched Destiny with just how much it was going to take to keep up with the churn of creating content. Is Bioware and EA prepared to double down and potentially pull in multiple studios and 1,000+ employees to keep up with it like Bungie and Activision or are we looking at a Division situation? That's my chief concern in all of this as someone who really latched onto Destiny.

Hopeford

Pretty letdown that the game is a Destiny type thing. I loved the concept but I'm more into in-person multiplayer or story heavy single player...eh. Like nothing wrong with that type of game - not gonna pretend there's anything wrong with it. Just not what I'm personally into.

Just bummed out because I'm a sucker for the "humanity trapped inside walls also monsters outside" thing and would have LOVED a huge single player RPG with it.

Probably the game of the show for me since nothing else really grabs me from, Acti, Sony, Microsoft or ubisoft e3 catalog. Yea there might be some amazing unannounced game but i doubt it.

seems weird to be declaring that a game that was barely even revealed is your game of the show that hasn't even started yet.

According to the last article I read tit an fall 1 sold 10million copies. I assumed bundles played a big roll in those sales but could be wrong. Assuming that npd doesn't track the bundle game sales bc it's a digital code it really doesn't matter anyway. Titan fall 2 was released with bad timing(bf1 release) when both consoles also already had plenty of shooter's . The first game released early in the gen cycle when gamers are thirsty for new ip and games to play. Yes the market it released in was smaller, it was also not flooded with quality online shooters. There are too many variables to be able to just say MS exclusivity is responsible for titan fall success. If you use your logic EA would never release a new ip on multiple platforms again and just sign deals. Do you see this being the future?

Bundles included digital copies, so I believe you assumed wrong.

I don't understand how it "doesn't matter anyway" when your original argument was that it was bundled. Therefore it mattered at the premise but not anymore?

You seem to be trying real hard to depreciate the importance of the massive marketing blitz extravaganza TF1 had, and I'm not sure why. Or why I'm even responding to you. It has nothing to do with logic; Titanfall was released exclusively for many reasons which Respawn have stated and even wrote a letter about. The successful marketing was just a byproduct and now we have, as you said, over 10mil copies sold.

This is starting to get annoying and we are starting to derail the thread so I'm leaving it at that. If you wish to discuss this further feel free to PM me.

Fredrik

Bleh! So this is a multiplayer game? I thought it would be story driven single player sci-fi RPG awesomeness since it was a Bioware game.

It worked well for the Division.

But The Division sold very well, no? Or is this sarcasm I'm not getting?

Anyway, I'm happy Destiny will be getting a run for it's money. So many lies were fed to us with the first game and it didn't matter because of how well it sold. Hope to see more competition which is better for us in the long haul.

MikeDown

Banned
I have read a few articles about over the past few months on gaming sites.

Edit - Jason Schrier also confirmed it was Destiny-like.
Great decision from a managing standpoint, now it gives them even more of an excuse to reuse Mass Effect assets.

Do we know what this is yet? My guess, based on nothing more than the trailer and a screenshot, is a Diablo-type game with massive open environments (possibly even procedurely genererated) instead of dungeons.

RdN

I'm really, really interested in this.

Have sunk thousands (literally) of hours in destiny and a decent amount with the division... This is my cup of tea!

Bring it on, BioWare!

GHG

E3 hasn't even started yet... Never mind the fact that we've only seen a teaser trailer for this.

If you happen to know the full E3 catalog for the other conferences spill the beans. We're all ears.

All good, I've been on these boards (or reading them a long time) :)

Glad you liked it.

I feel exposed now that my profile actually shows I'm the Marketing guy up there!

Yeah, despite the usual heavy doses of sad cynicism the internet provides, I like what I've seen from the visuals and what I assume is some Attack on Titan-esque like world with gamers piloting these mechs.

I'm more than excited to find out what the game is all about tomorrow.

"Celebrating 10 million! Thanks to everyone, we love you all!" most likely doesn't mean 10 million sold. If it did 60% would probably be used sales.

Anyways, it's the highest selling 3rd party exclusive on either the xb one or ps4. That's definitely an accomplishment.

But they're trying to compete with Division/Destiny and their numbers.Saying Titanfall 2 sold less than Titanfall doesn't really mean that much. Titanfall spent about two years with a small active user base after the initial hype and there just wasn't enough interest in it when Titanfall 2 came around even with a single player.

Anyways, hopefully Anthem is better than Divsion and Destiny (both aren't really for me) and hopefully MS has cool games up its sleeve.

jryeje29

What they showed in the teaser interested me enough to want to hear some more, and im a fan of biowares even though theyre not perfect by any means.

Pepboy

We are never going to get a sequel to Jade Empire at this rate, are we?

If we ever got one, it would only be because EA was trying to inject life into Biowares bloated corpse, cashing in on nostalgia.

Besides these days I am pretty sure Jade Empire would get heavily criticized for cultural appropriation, perhaps rightly so.

down 2 orth

Since Destiny couldn't keep up with its own epic space opera premise and the execs decided to fill the game's creative gaps with humor, I'm glad another company will have a go. Seriously, fuck Destiny.

Nazo

Anthem is a god damn terrible name. I saw the trailer this morning and I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. I kept wanting to call it Ardent for some reason.

I'm not sure how I feel about what little of the premise we've seen but the recent trope of "THERE'S BAD SHIT BEYOND THE WALLS" is getting a little old.

Staf

If you have to put ...thegame.com in your domain or @...thegame in your twitter handle you know you have an original and inspiring name for your title.

KOHIPEET

I like the idea of a Destiny-like game. The question is how much different will it be as IMO there are several spots where they can improve over D1 (something which D2 failed based on impressions so far). For one, designs already look a lot more coherent to me.

Do we know if this will be a tps or an fps? (I would prefer the latter, but given it's bioware, the former is more likely)

Skux

If you have to put ...thegame.com in your domain or @...thegame in your twitter handle you know you have an original and inspiring name for your title.

Some of the biggest games ever have single word, non-descriptive titles. Halo. Destiny. Civilization.

Anthem could have a lot more meaning once we experience the story. People thought "Horizon Zero Dawn" was just a bunch of words when they first heard it.

Skux

Anthem is a cool name.

I agree. It immediately brings to mind the idea of nationhood, which could be representative of the bubble cities that humans live in. It could also have vague religious connotations (liturgical anthems) similar to the way Halo used terminology like Halo, Covenant, Ark, Truth and Reconciliation, and even John-117.

Harmen

Oh, so it is an online MP game? Not for me and I wish they put that other Bioware team on projects like that (the one that made the SW online stuff).

Really, really dissapointing for me, there are plenty of large online MP games out there, but large singleplayer focused RPG's like Bioware makes them are not frequent.

Top Bottom