• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem reviews are starting to drop [literally]

Well it's EA and I hope every of those greasy couch potato weakling who bought or worst pre-order YET again an EA games will be ripped-off, in fact just in life in general.

iconmaster

Banned
OpenCritic shows some additional reviews; score there is also in the 60s.

I’m not sure how to feel now. When Anthem was announced I was angry at EA forcing BioWare out of its wheelhouse. But at the same time, Andromeda was turning out to be…Andromeda.

I guess I don’t really feel anything.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Another AAAA game bites the dust.

But is this really going to be it for Bioware? I mean, they make guaranteed million sellers don't they? Just go back to AAA and make another Dragon's Dogma or something.
A corporation like EA isn’t interested in making good, reasonably profitable games that reliably sell to a couple million fans. They want a big hit that has gamers continually buying microtransactions. Need to deliver continual growth by any means possible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A corporation like EA isn’t interested in making good, reasonably profitable games that reliably sell to a couple million fans. They want a big hit that has gamers continually buying microtransactions. Need to deliver continual growth by any means possible.
Yup. It's all about the cash. I don't know if it was shooters or sports games that started the nickel and diming trend with microtrans and DLC, but a big place like EA will shoehorn digital revenue into every piece of software. They can release a kid's game teaching numbers, and numbers 0-9 are free. But if you want to add +, -, x, / it's extra.

Personally, I don't think scores of 60 or 70 mean anything to game companies. The creative minds will take a bruised ego hit, but as long as a 65-rated game earns more profits than an 85-rated game, I'm sure the CEO would prefer the 65 game.

Last edited:

Winter John

It was obvious from the betas that the game isn't in a fit state for launch. The bugs, the hub, the missions. It's a mess. Maybe it's time to accept that Bioware aren't coming back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was obvious from the betas that the game isn't in a fit state for launch. The bugs, the hub, the missions. It's a mess. Maybe it's time to accept that Bioware aren't coming back.
Video game betas means nothing since the release date is usually less than a month away..... sometimes only a few weeks.

"Beta" terminology changed meaning around 2010. Suddenly "demos" disappeared and "betas" popped up. Same content, but different term to confuse gamers hoping gamers will play a beta and give it leniency, whereas a demo is thought of as a final game but only mission 1.

Real betas are the kinds of releases done on PC (starting in the early internet years), when game companies let gamers download partially done games with half done assets 10 months before launch. I wasn't really a PC gamer anymore at the time but I think some PC betas came out 12 months or more out.

Now, companies somehow claim a beta released 2 weeks before launch will churn out endless fixes due to their feedback, when the game is already done, pressed and final code ready for download. The majority of patch fixes were already in the works before any beta feedback.

Last edited:
I played through the demo and within an hour I was absolutely sick of the repetitive missions, even while playing with a friend.

I've spent a ton of time with vanilla Destiny, which was already a deeply flawed game. But at least in that game, the gunplay was sublime, the exotic weapons were truly special and a raid experience that was unlike any other. The game was fun to play with friends. I can't say any of that for Anthem.

FStubbs

Well that's my point. I don't think this kind of supergame was ever in Bioware's wheelhouse. It's like going into a Red Lobster and asking them to make Samundari Khazana Curry. I mean, they're better than Long John Silver's or a McDonald's fish fillet, but they probably are going to fail making that level of dish.

Video game betas means nothing since the release date is usually less than a month away..... sometimes only a few weeks.

"Beta" terminology changed meaning around 2010. Suddenly "demos" disappeared and "betas" popped up. Same content, but different term to confuse gamers hoping gamers will play a beta and give it leniency, whereas a demo is thought of as a final game but only mission 1.

Real betas are the kinds of releases done on PC (starting in the early internet years), when game companies let gamers download partially done games with half done assets 10 months before launch. I was really a PC gamer anymore at the time but I think some PC betas came out 12 months or more out.

Now, companies somehow claim a beta released 2 weeks before launch will churn out endless fixes due to their feedback, when the game is already done, pressed and final code ready for download. The majority of patch fixes were already in the works before any beta feedback.

To be honest, most of these looter shooter games are basically shipped unfinished and in a technically broken state. It then takes like 10-12 months for the games to be fully fixed and the cut content put in place through multiple DLCs. So in a way, what you are playing 2 weeks before "release" is still a "beta".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be honest, most of these looter shooter games are basically shipped unfinished and in a technically broken state. It then takes like 10-12 months for the games to be fully fixed and the cut content put in place through multiple DLCs. So in a way, what you are playing 2 weeks before "release" is still a "beta".
Putting it that way, it actually makes sense. lol

iconmaster

Banned
Personally, I don't think scores of 60 or 70 mean anything to game companies. The creative minds will take a bruised ego hit

Well, developer bonuses are sometimes tied to Metacritic scores – which suggests a good score does matter to the publisher.

Scores must at least have some sales impact for that to be true.

Only thing EA cares about is sales. If Bioware keeps underperforming financially relative to prior releases, then they going to be put to sleep. EA loves to kill naughty little studios.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, developer bonuses are sometimes tied to Metacritic scores – which suggests a good score does matter to the publisher.

Scores must at least have some sales impact for that to be true.
Makes sense. I've read those stories too.

But unless game companies have isolated bonus structures like that, just about every large company has bonuses paid out due to overall company performance too.

Maybe game companies and their devs are evaluated in a silo from everyone else.

If Coca-Cola has a new flavor that bombs, the dept involved closely with it might get gimped some bonus for a shitty product line. But if Coke as a whole company still did great, pretty sure they'd still get some bonuses too.

From personal experience at every company I've worked in, overall company performance is always the biggest pie slice too....... then comes personal goals and objectives achievement.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Well now people can appreciate a bit how good Bungie did with Destiny :D

They are still the only successful case of this type o game... and they did that in 2014.
How? Destiny was also received a shit score and sales numbers were too disappointing for Activision to continue the support

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only thing EA cares about is sales. If Bioware keeps underperforming financially relative to prior releases, then they going to be put to sleep. EA loves to kill naughty little studios.
Assuming Anthem bombs in sales and reviews (still early), I give Bioware once more chance. I don't know what game is next (too lazy to Google it), but if their next game is a dud, Bioware is DOA.

ultrazilla

The patch has definitely helped with load times on the PC. Still ran into the nasty sound bug. It cut out totally while doing a stronghold. Grrrrr.

I'm having fun with it. I think the calls of Bioware being dead and buried are a bit premature here. If you're on the fence, give it a month or two and see
where the game is at with some patches behind it.

I read a lot of comments with players skipping through dialog and then complain there's no story. The story/world building is being told through the conversations and
I like it. I'd suggest not skipping dialogue and speaking to everyone you can. I ran into an NPC in the Fort who was "the old timer" who talked about having to make hard
choices and getting involved in a mining accident. I thought it was a great piece of story/dialogue.

Everyone has an opinion and they're certainly entitled to it. However, writing the game off when Bioware is making the game a dynamic, on-going story ala Destiny seems
a bit early.

I'm interested in knowing how the story and game will evolve going forward(I haven't even beat the campaign yet anyways) so I'm invested. I just hope Bioware can deliver.

Winter John

Well that's my point. I don't think this kind of supergame was ever in Bioware's wheelhouse. It's like going into a Red Lobster and asking them to make Samundari Khazana Curry. I mean, they're better than Long John Silver's or a McDonald's fish fillet, but they probably are going to fail making that level of dish.

I guess they got it because Respawn were busy with Titanfall.

It was done by a different part of BW with a messed up development. I'm sure with the proper development time and resources the main studio could do a good job.

It's not that it was just buggy. They had horrendous voice actors. The story was piss poor. It was a complete mess from top to bottom.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
How long before bioware gets the axe and the employees all jump ship to Microsoft's newly acquired studios? :p
That’s kind of what I’m hoping for. I have a feeling that EA has extracted whatever value they can from BioWare and they’re about to be put out of their misery. Hope they get picked up by a better parent company who actually wants to make good games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG-5182.jpg

I couldn't resist. I have it preordered and still plan to play. I just wonder what could have helped it perform better.

Assuming Anthem bombs in sales and reviews (still early), I give Bioware once more chance. I don't know what game is next (too lazy to Google it), but if their next game is a dud, Bioware is DOA.

Not bombs, but if it performs worse than Mass Effect Andromeda, Bioware employees should have reason to be afraid...very afraid. EA starts burying them alive even if the victim is still taking shallow breaths. They did it with Maxis. Simcity 5 made money, but it wasn't enough money.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty sure the very first quick trailer they showed was your guy in a space suit zooming around. Given it was Bioware, I thought it would be a sci-fi open world RPG.

Then I remember watching a video of players shooting aliens with numbers splashing all over the screen. Then I thought Destiny. Pass.

Moneal

Or maybe Destiny really nailed gameplay loop... something that they did forget with Destiny 2.
Liked Destiny, put in a ton of time, but LOL at this. The gameplay loop at launch was stand in front of a cave and fire bullets at a cave for 3 mins. Then, run and collect the shinies, and get back in place to start over. Boy some people forget what Destiny was like at launch. I don't even have time to tell you why I don't have time to explain how bad it was at launch.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The GaaS trend is taking a massive hit. I'm kinda tired if it to be honest. First Fallout 76, now Anthem. If The Division 2 doesn't deliver, then maybe we'll see some great single player games again, especially with the success Sony is having. I can't believe EA put Bioware on this crap instead of focusing on the next KOTOR.

Arkage

Banned
God a 67. And here I was ready to switch over from Destiny 2. At least I'm getting it for free with my laptop purchase.

I thought the combat looked meh when I first saw it but I was hoping the story, the flying, and dungeons/class builds would make up for it. Seems not so.

Goddamn it I really don't want to go back the D2 grind. Where r gud gamez.

Last edited:
Bioware deserves every bad review it gets. Imagine hiring a shit game director who has no experience in game direction except for the fact that he can get milestones reached on time for EA (his words, not mine).

Yet, some people still have the audacity to criticize developers such as the one and only Hideo Kojima for making "bad" games.

Iorv3th

Liked Destiny, put in a ton of time, but LOL at this. The gameplay loop at launch was stand in front of a cave and fire bullets at a cave for 3 mins. Then, run and collect the shinies, and get back in place to start over. Boy some people forget what Destiny was like at launch. I don't even have time to tell you why I don't have time to explain how bad it was at launch.

That was the 'end game" to get legendary and exotic gear to level up for the raid etc. That wasn't how the campaign or pvp played.

Anthems campaign and gameplay is much worse than destiny was at launch. Destiny had pretty good PvP as well.

Goddamn it I really don't want to go back the D2 grind. Where r gud gamez.

Wait for the division 2 and hope it's good. Anthem aint the replacement game for destiny.

Last edited:

Bkdk

With the success of apex legends, I doubt EA would ever want to release any other big titles other than FIFA. There’s quite a big chance they just gonna downsize bioware and tell them to make some apex legends rpg spinoffs from now on.

Reading some of the reviews and early impressions, I've come to realize I never completely understood what Anthem was supposed to be, and even now more informed, I still don't want the game.

Maybe Anthem will get to a good place, once EA activates their post-launch roadmap, but I'm definitely not the audience for what they seem to be offering.

-MD-

I find it odd that one of the four mechs is melee based and the melee is total dogshit, your character will typically move past an enemy mid-attack and you have to reset yourself with a quick dodge or jump.

Who was in charge of this?

Stuart360

Even if Anthem flopped (and its not going to, no matter hiw much some people want it to), i doubt EA would close Bioware. Bioware are still a big name in the business, much bigger than the other studios EA has closed down. I'm sure EA hasn't given up on Mass Effect and Dragon Age yet either.
Also this is the first loot shooter kind of game Bioware have done, i'm sure they will be given time to improve it.

Meted

Even if Anthem flopped (and its not going to, no matter hiw much some people want it to), i doubt EA would close Bioware. Bioware are still a big name in the business, much bigger than the other studios EA has closed down. I'm sure EA hasn't given up on Mass Effect and Dragon Age yet either.
Also this is the first loot shooter kind of game Bioware have done, i'm sure they will be given time to improve it.
It is currently flopping, they gave up on mass effect for years then when they came back it was disappointing, now its 100% dead.

Stuart360

It is currently flopping, they gave up on mass effect for years then when they came back it was disappointing, now its 100% dead.
How is it currently flopping?, the game hasn't even released yet. Unless you're talking about reviews.
And Andromeda was made by a different team and they started pretty much when ME3 finished, they never gave up on it, it just took that long to develop.

Meted

How is it currently flopping?, the game hasn't even released yet. Unless you're talking about reviews.
And Andromeda was made by a different team and they started pretty much when ME3 finished, they never gave up on it, it just took that long to develop.
Reviews are still a big indicator and influencer for people, i think it's safe to say it won't do well. Andromeda being made by another team and being bad like 3 is not a good sign, if two teams can't make a good mass effect why try again when a lot of people have lost faith in the ME franchise

Top Bottom