• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem reviews are starting to drop [literally]

KingT731

I find it funny that people are comparing Anthem to Day 1 Destiny...there wasn't much do for the base game. I think a lot of people are misremembering the game. Only thing Destiny had that Anthem doesn't is PVP. And let's not get started on the "story" in Destiny.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I find it funny that people are comparing Anthem to Day 1 Destiny...there wasn't much do for the base game. I think a lot of people are misremembering the game. Only thing Destiny had that Anthem doesn't is PVP. And let's not get started on the "story" in Destiny.

If anyone is misremembering it's you. Destiny at launch had unique loot, both armor and weapons. It didn't have the raid at launch but it was soon after so people could level up. It had weekly nightfalls, strikes, public events, story missions, patrol missions, multiple planets, earth, venus, mars, and the moon for location/enemy variety. It had working co-op multiplayer where you could be in the same locations and social space/hub at the same time. Iron Banner and stuff like that as timed weekly activities. 3 months after release they had new missions/strikes/pvp maps/ and a new raid and new loot.

Allandor

yes, Destiny 1 was (and in my opinion still is) boring as hell. But Destiny was more or less the first of it's kind. Errors had been made and some were at least fixed in Destiny 2.
Anthem on the other hand is released/was released years later and still makes the same errors. You can't make the same game years later and still expect that people like it.
Just look at vanilla WoW. Most people wouldn't play it because it lacks so many features todays games already has. Yes I know it still would have it fans (and so will Anthem) but the broad mass won't touch it anymore.

sol_bad

Arguably, Borderlands was the first loot shooter. Destiny was the first GaaS version of a loot shooter though. I think it's safe to say that GaaS just means it is stripped of content at release and readded at a later date.

I'm really interested to see if Gearbox takes a more GaaS approach with Borderlands 2.

But I often think Gearbox doesn't get enough credit in retrospect because it really supported BL 1 and 2 well.

They were still adjusting loot drop rates last year.

ethomaz

Banned
You are misremembering.

Destiny at launch had 1 Hub, 22 missions, 6 strikes, 11 Crucible Maps, 1 Raid, tons of unique loot, nightfalls, public events, patrol, 4 open world areas, events after one week, etc.

It just not on the same level of content... not talking about way better game mechanics and design.

BTW it is not 2014 anymore and Destiny years ago delivered more and better experience.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Makes me fear borderlands 3 will be a Gaas....

Not because Gaas is bad, but because it will suck day 1

Last edited:
I'm really interested to see if Gearbox takes a more GaaS approach with Borderlands 2.

But I often think Gearbox doesn't get enough credit in retrospect because it really supported BL 1 and 2 well.

They were still adjusting loot drop rates last year.
Yeah they did a great job of supporting those games and it wasn't a gaas. I'm worried about BL3

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You are misremembering.

Destiny at launch had 1 Hub, 22 missions, 6 strikes, 11 Crucible Maps, 1 Raid, tons of unique loot, nightfalls, public events, patrol, 4 open world areas, events after one week, etc.

It just not on the same level of content... not talking about way better game mechanics and design.

BTW it is not 2014 anymore and Destiny years ago delivered more and better experience.

There was no Raid at launch was it? I thought that was released a few weeks later.

VertigoOA

Banned
There was no Raid at launch was it? I thought that was released a few weeks later.

Vault of glass was released 10 days after launch.

Even without vault anthem pales in comparison when it comes to content.

Still 100x more fun to play than warframe tho. F2p jank

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Every Raid in Destiny is planned to launch a week late to give players time to reach the level cap of the Raid.

Destiny: September 9, 2014
VoG: September 16, 2014.[

Yeap the VoG was launch content.

Vault of glass was released 10 days after launch.
A week after... 7 days.

Every expansion with Raid in Destiny the Raid launch in the next week reset.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
There is so much failure surrounding this game, I have no idea what Bioware has been working on all this time.

I have had fun playing it, but now that I am in endgame, all the shallowness, technical issues, horrid design choices, and lack of content can no longer be ignored.

There is no game left. On to D2 I guess.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Loot changes going live sometime tomorrow or the day after, if all goes according to plan. Details on anthem reddit.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

Loot changes going live sometime tomorrow or the day after, if all goes according to plan. Details on anthem reddit.
This game needs more than tweaking loot tables. They need new types of gear, unique items, and more depth to crafting at a minimum.

Hendrick's

Baby steps. If they could whip up all of that overnight we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I know, but that's the problem. They should have had this already. It's going to kill this game because there is no reason to stick around in the meantime and it's not a game I see many people coming back to.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I know, but that's the problem. They should have had this already. It's going to kill this game because there is no reason to stick around in the meantime and it's not a game I see many people coming back to.

There's actually plenty of reason to stick around, assuming you enjoy the combat. If you don't enjoy it then you probably shouldn't stick around, not like it is going to get significantly better.

Hendrick's

There's actually plenty of reason to stick around, assuming you enjoy the combat. If you don't enjoy it then you probably shouldn't stick around, not like it is going to get significantly better.
I like the combat, but that's not enough to stick around when you are playing the same missions over and over and over.

iHaunter

Gameplay is miles ahead Warframe... everything else is really bad.

Completely disagree.

The gameplay loop is atrocious. You barely get any new abilities. Warframe has so many different types of frames and weapons/abilities that it puts Anthem to shame. How are you going to develop a game for 6 years and have 4 Javelines? So few abilities on each with generic weapons.

TeamGhobad

Banned

Destiny at least had great gameplay, the shooting is superb, the guns felt amazing, and had a proper end game and the Raid was amazing.

Meccs

The problem is that the constant loop of "do ability 1 to afflict status -> do ability 2 to detonate status" gets old and boring very fast.

ethomaz

Banned
Completely disagree.

The gameplay loop is atrocious. You barely get any new abilities. Warframe has so many different types of frames and weapons/abilities that it puts Anthem to shame. How are you going to develop a game for 6 years and have 4 Javelines? So few abilities on each with generic weapons.
Warframe gameplay is really bad, there is no weight, hit box is random, shooting has no feedback, movements are out of pace, etc... Anthem not... it feels good, flying is great, shooting is no Destiny but it is good, etc.

What are you talking is content and it was already showed dozen of Javelines in the game to be unlock with updates.

You should play Warframe at launch when it didn’t have that dozen abilities and weapons... to be fair weapons even today are most the same.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Warframe gameplay is really bad, there is no weight, hit box is random, shooting has no feedback, movements are outbid pace, etc...

What are you even talking about? "Hit box is random"? "movements are outbid pace"?

I'm 100% sure you played Warframe for all of 10 minutes and then went back to <censored due to public outcry>.

Last edited:

Diddy X

About the topic, I don't have much to say, evrything has been said at this point.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What are you even talking about? "Hit box is random"? "movements are outbid pace"?

I'm 100% sure you played Warframe for all of 10 minutes and then went back to snorting narcotics.
I played enough to get Rinho Prime without pay a cent if that tells you anything.

The movements are really out of pace... it didn't merge with the environment... looks more like two different entities... and the hit box are really bad and looks random... sometimes you aim the space and hit a enemy... sometimes you aim the enemy and hit nothing... all guns feels the same without any feedback or recoil.

Sure you like the game and I had fun with it but after play over 500 hours I can say the the gameplay is really bad without snorting any narcotics.

You probably needs to play games with better gameplay... Anthem for example is miles ahead what you have in Warframe... sadly it is an atrocious games bad in everything else... you can try Destiny and I tell you that you will see how bad the gameplay in Warframe is after that.

PS. Maybe I should say how you control and interact with your characters instead gameplay... I did not say gunplay because Warframe focus a lot in white weapons that are not gunplay related... so gameplay is what it is... bad... that doesn't mean I did not have fun with it.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Never had issues aiming in Warframe. Warframe is all about how you build your frames and gear to fit a playstyle which there is a lot of. Build for damage, build for status, build for being based around your frame's abilities, focus on guns or melee. It's up to you.

And if it boils down to a aiming sensitivity issue you can adjust that. But you won't be going back to it so pointless suggestion.

On the contrary I think Anthem offers very little that Warframe already doesn't and isn't as expensive. To each their own.

ethomaz

Banned
Never had issues aiming in Warframe. Warframe is all about how you build your frames and gear to fit a playstyle which there is a lot of. Build for damage, build for status, build for being based around your frame's abilities, focus on guns or melee. It's up to you.

And if it boils down to a aiming sensitivity issue you can adjust that. But you won't be going back to it so pointless suggestion.

On the contrary I think Anthem offers very little that Warframe already doesn't and isn't as expensive. To each their own.
Anthem is atrocious except for the gameplay... I should never recommend it over anything.

It is not Destiny perfected gameplay but it sure feels great to fly, aim, shoot, move, etc.

Last edited:

24hr

So glad I didn’t purchase this and only bought Origin Access for the 10 hour trial. Incredibly boring.

Lanrutcon

I played enough to get Rinho Prime without pay a cent if that tells you anything.

The movements are really out of pace... it didn't merge with the environment... looks more like two different entities... and the hit box are really bad and looks random... sometimes you aim the space and hit a enemy... sometimes you aim the enemy and hit nothing... all guns feels the same without any feedback or recoil.

Sure you like the game and I had fun with it but after play over 500 hours I can say the the gameplay is really bad without snorting any narcotics.

It doesn't really tell me anything. You can trade Rhino Prime parts.

How are the movements out of place? like, exactly? You had trouble...grabbing ledges? bullet jumping? wall running? flipping through the air like a goddamn ninja? what? Faulting the movement in Warframe is like complaining that your chocolate cake is bad because it doesn't come with a free blowjob.

Hit boxes are fine. Headshots are such a critical (pun intended) part of play and I've never seen anyone but you complain about hit boxes. If they were really bad the end game (which revolves around precision shooting) would be unplayable. I'm going to need some examples here, once you're sober.

All the guns feel the same? Guy, there's like 300 weapons in the game ranging from twin pistols to energy cannons to poison flamethrowers to grenade machine guns to radiation shotguns to spear launchers. Some of them feel the same if the weapons have similarities or are variants, but all of them? Really? The gun variety is crazy high. I'm not even going to comment on the "lack" of recoil because I spent like 2 weeks rerolling an Aklex riven just so that the fucking things don't have me looking at the ceiling every time I pull the triggers.

Sir, how can you possible have 500 hours yet tell such boldfaced lies? Look down. Those things you are wearing? They are liar pants.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It doesn't really tell me anything. You can trade Rhino Prime parts.

How are the movements out of place? like, exactly? You had trouble...grabbing ledges? bullet jumping? wall running? flipping through the air like a goddamn ninja? what? Faulting the movement in Warframe is like complaining that your chocolate cake is bad because it doesn't come with a free blowjob.

Hit boxes are fine. Headshots are such a critical (pun intended) part of play and I've never seen anyone but you complain about hit boxes. If they were really bad the end game (which revolves around precision shooting) would be unplayable. I'm going to need some examples here, once you're sober.

All the guns feel the same? Guy, there's like 300 weapons in the game ranging from twin pistols to energy cannons to poison flamethrowers to grenade cannons to radiation shotguns to spear launchers. Some of the feel the same if the weapons have similarities or are variants, but all of them? Really? The gun variety is crazy high. I'm not even going to comment on the "lack" of recoil because I spent like 2 weeks rerolling an Aklex riven just so that the fucking things don't have me looking at the ceiling every time I pull the triggers.

Sir, how can you possible have 500 hours yet tell such boldfaced lies? Look down. Those things you are wearing? They are liar pants.
OMG... you did read what I said?

The opposite I sell duplicated parts for Platinum... I was no low timer player... I had grinded more than only a single Rhino Prime lol I have all Prime Warframes at time... all of them with most of blueprint parts duplicated to made Platinum.

I never had any issue playing the game, grabbing ledges, jumping, wall running, etc... it is just not good... I can addapt to anything you give me in game that doesn't mean I won't see it flaws and if it is bad or good.

Movements, aim, shooting, hits, recoil, feeback, etc are bad in Warframe... it is generic... there are dozen of games that do gameplay better.

There are a lot of weapons that shots and plays like the same... there is no variables in gameplay style... they fells and play the same in most cases.

I played over 500 hours... how I'm lying about that? lol I can post pic of my account if you wish.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

OMG... you did read what I said?

The opposite I sell duplicated parts for Platinum... I was no low timer player... I had grinded more than only a single Rhino Prime lol I have all Prime Warframes at time... all of them with most of blueprint parts duplicated to made Platinum.

I never had any issue playing the game, grabbing ledges, jumping, wall running, etc... it is just not good... I can addapt to anything you give me in game that doesn't mean I won't see it flaws and if it is bad or good.

Movements, aim, shooting, hits, recoil, feeback, etc are bad in Warframe... it is generic... there are dozen of games that do gameplay better.

There are a lot of weapons that shots and plays like the same... there is no variables in gameplay style... they fells and play the same in most cases.

I played over 500 hours... how I'm lying about that? lol I can post pic of my account if you wish.

I am going to start a petition to get this man's right to review games revoked. He's obviously intoxicated, and/or insane for having put 500 hours into a game where everything is bad.

PS. What's your first language? My keen senses tell me there's a language barrier here.

waylo

Banned
I read over the loot changes and those are all well and nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the loot is incredibly boring to begin with. There is nothing unique about any of the gear in the game. It all looks the same and is just underwhelming. No amount of inscription tweaks is going to change that.

I think the inscriptions are pretty good. Get rid of the dead inscriptions (which they did) and we're good to go.

The issue w/ inscriptions is how you get limited to just 10 unique masterwork/legendary components. It hurts build diversity.

My issue with loot is a) how it drops and b) there is simply not enough diversity in guns, support and probably even gear.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I am going to start a petition to get this man's right to review games revoked. He's obviously intoxicated, and/or insane for having put 500 hours into a game where everything is bad.

PS. What's your first language? My keen senses tell me there's a language barrier here.
What is your point? I never said everything is bad... gameplay is.... how do you control the character, move, shot, hit, etc.

I can play games with bad gameplay, enjoy and have fun because others parts of the game lol
I was part of a big clan (basically one of the founders) and I liked to play the game.
I do love collect things too and the only thing in the game at time to grind and collect was Prime parts.

My fun, enjoyment, hours played will never hide what is objectively a bad thing in a game.

Last edited:

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

It is ridiculous to spend that much time on a game that you don’t find fun.

BUT keep in mind that a game can be addictive without actually being fun. That’s the reason why people will sit there all day putting coins in a slot machine. And it’s that same “random reward” mechanism that makes loot games addictive.

ethomaz

Banned
It is ridiculous to spend that much time on a game that you don’t find fun.

BUT keep in mind that a game can be addictive without actually being fun. That’s the reason why people will sit there all day putting coins in a slot machine. And it’s that same “random reward” mechanism that makes loot games addictive.
Wait... I said it was fun lol

I have a lot of fun with Warframe but the gameplay was bad... the fact I played a lot give more weight to say what I found bad.

Anthem gameplay is way better than Warframe but everything else is ridiculous bad... that is something Warframe does way better: campaign, story, co op play, end gaming loop, etc.

People needs to stop to think because somebody plays a game it is perfect... it is the opposite we know the flaws of the game we are playing... Warframe needs a complete remake of the character gameplay.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
I've seen quite a few people mention that the shooting is good in Anthem and I just don't get it. There is absolutely nothing about it that stands out to me. All the guns feel the same and enemies have zero reaction to getting shot. There is no weight behind any of the shooting in Anthem.

iHaunter

Warframe gameplay is really bad, there is no weight, hit box is random, shooting has no feedback, movements are out of pace, etc... Anthem not... it feels good, flying is great, shooting is no Destiny but it is good, etc.

What are you talking is content and it was already showed dozen of Javelines in the game to be unlock with updates.

You should play Warframe at launch when it didn’t have that dozen abilities and weapons... to be fair weapons even today are most the same.

From the looks of your description it looks like you haven't played warframe.

Weight is also not indicative of anything IMHO. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

ethomaz

Banned
From the looks of your description it looks like you haven't played warframe.

Weight is also not indicative of anything IMHO. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Yeap I never played a game that I put over 500 hours lol

That ridiculous.

I will take a screen from my PS4 late... now I can only get what I posted on twitter.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
I've seen quite a few people mention that the shooting is good in Anthem and I just don't get it. There is absolutely nothing about it that stands out to me. All the guns feel the same and enemies have zero reaction to getting shot. There is no weight behind any of the shooting in Anthem.

For third person, it doesn't look bad (I haven't played it). Probably what Destiny at least got right by staying in first person for the most part. I haven't played too many third person shooters that I felt I like the gun play, Gears is about as close as I can get.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Great part 2 by Skill Up for Anthem even though the recent outing of their development for Anthem kind of did the job for him. But still, Skill Up has the best video reviews along with ACG (Karak). Always in depth with a lot of info. I disagree from time to time (like with AC Odyssey) but overall, one of the best reviewers on YouTube.

Top Bottom