• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem was exactly as boring as I predicted

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Sorry, friend. Can't say I'm surprised, but the game hadn't sparked my imagination, so I guess I had no hopes to be dashed.
And knowing that it's an EA game, and thus would have microtransactions, was an easy way to keep me from growing any interest.

McHuj

Apex will provide the cover EA needs. I have a feeling without Apex, EA would be really screwed because I think Anthrm will flop.

Anthem looks to be another undercooked game that rushed to meet a targeted launch date whether it’s ready or not.

Both it and BF5, need another year.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Watched some vids. Not my kind of game. But looked cool if you're into Destiny kind of games.

The characters going from jet pack zooming and turning to suddenly stopping and hovering, then flying again looks odd and janky.

Fbh

Soon after reveal it was pretty clear that it would just be another unremarkable loot shooter and that's exactly how the demo felt.

I expect it will run into the same issues as all games like this: repetitive gameplay and people complaining about lack of content. Then they will roll out some new content over the months and eventually it will find an audience but won't be extremely popular and EA will say it hasn't met expectations

Barakov

Gold Member
I don't know. I was pretty down on it but after the demo I think there might be some potential there. Although, it's another matter if EA allows Bioware to capitalize on that potential. I think both this and BF5 needed more time in the oven before they're ready for prime time.

Neolombax

I kinda like it. Definitely has a lot of potential. We currently do not have a full list of the loot table, so we don't really know how exciting the loot can be.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I very much enjoyed the demo, enough so to buy the game. If you played a cool Colossal build and were bored well then the problem isn't the game.

I don't have any faith in EA/Bioware's ability to maintain a game like this in the long run, though, but we'll see.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's almost as if they purposely shadow launched Apex before Anthem as a statement to their confidence in the latter.

I very much enjoyed the demo, enough so to buy the game. If you played a cool Colossal build and were bored well then the problem isn't the game.

I don't have any faith in EA/Bioware's ability to maintain a game like this in the long run, though, but we'll see.
I keep telling myself that I don'y like kill and loot games but I really liked Diablo 3. Destiny and Anthem felt very repetitive and empty so yea, its defiantly the game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's almost as if they purposely shadow launched Apex before Anthem as a statement to their confidence in the latter.
Which is surprising. I guess the BR trend is so strong they have to get out Apex asap.

EA typically focuses on one shooter at a time. And the time they did a two prong approach (TF2 + BF1) it was a disaster. EA execs probably think a F2P BR shooter won't cross paths with a Destiny kind of game, so it'll be a nice 1-2 combo covering all bases. Then there's BFV for WWII fans. So 3 bases really.

My opinion..... Anthem is done. What they should have done is release Apex in maybe April. That would give Anthem two months head start at full price.

Last edited:

Ivellios

I truly hope Anthem is a great success just because i dont want Bioware to go down, but personally i thought the game was very boring, even playing with a full squad of friends.

The fights had no strategy to them, even on the stronghold boss, could not play the stronghold for the 3rd time because of how long and boring it was.

The FPS is really bad on PS4 as well

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The FPS is really bad on PS4 as well
Those frame rate articles say consoles struggle, where all of them perform in the 25-30 range.

If anything, if there's one thing Bioware programmers have never been good at is speedy game engines..... at least on consoles (I'[m going to assume a good PC rig can blaze away at high visual settings and high frames). A game running on consoles hitting a steady 30 fps is a miracle for them.

Last edited:
Those frame rate articles say consoles struggle, where all of them perform in the 25-30 range.

If anything, if there's one thing Bioware programmers have never been good at is speedy game engines..... at least on consoles (I'[m going to assume a good PC rig can blaze away at high visual settings and high frames). A game running on consoles hitting a steady 30 fps is a miracle for them.
I played on the Xbox S and it was bad af is some areas. Im pretty forgiving with FR but if its constant and consistent then there is a problem

epicnemesis

Wow tough crowd in this thread. I think this game, based on the demo, is coming out 6 months too early but there is potential there.

Stuart360

I have given the game a lot of stick over the downgrade, and the fact that Bioware made an online only game, but i put about 8 hours in the beta, and i found it pretty fun actually. My main gripe with the game is that you can just tell that after 15-20 hours, you will almost certainly of seen everything it has to offer, and you will probably get bored and never touch it again.

Night.Ninja

Banned
zGHQb4O.gif

Looks like the haters thread

Apex Legends is free, reviewed well, and launched weeks before Anthem, which costs $70 and won’t review super well.

They shot themselves in the foot again by launching too close together.

If they want my money, make another KOTOR, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age. And, make the campaign the focus, not shoehorning in every multiplayer monetizing scheme they can.

Why is Rockstar the only company that knows how to make great single player 3rd person games with fun multiplayer modes?? They do it right, giving a beefy campaign and fun multiplayer. (Other criticisms aside.)

megamerican

It's a Destiny clone with flying about three years too late. Admittedly the flying is pretty cool, but I think this is the end of Bioware.

Reallink

The traversal mechanics seemed pretty great while the combat was above average but not spectacular. It will live or die by the quality of its character and loot progression, which wasn't really evident from the beta. Hopefully the missions/events are more varied than flying between waypoints and killing waves of clown car spawning mobs.

Hudo

Maybe they should've made an Iron Man action rpg instead? I haven't played the demo myself but I can see the potential. It's just that I find the setting and the artstyle so goddamn boring. And the story stuff in the city isn't exactly sparking my interest either. But I wouldn't declare it as dead. Look at Destiny, that is still a thing. So, I'm sure Anthem will find its audience. However, I am not so certain about Anthem hitting the targets that EA want it to hit...

Maybe it's just me being (still) salty over Mass Effect: Andromeda...

Makariel

I used to love bioware, Baldurs gate, kotor, jade empire, dragon age, mass effect, I enjoyed them all. I've not played the anthem demo, but from all the marketing and videos I've seen so far, anthem just doesn't click with me. And that's despite my intense love for anything that looks like a Mecha or power armour. I don't quite understand why this inspires such intense feelings of "meh" from my side.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You guys already playing the full release?

Why would we pay $60 to play the full release when the demo, not the beta, mind you, was so boring?

What do you think they're going to fundamentally change about the game in the next few weeks that won't make the core gameplay loop so dull? I'm well aware that it's a loot game, I just think there's much better ones available.

Viliger

PvE loot shooter is boring, who would've thought. Borderlands got carried by its style and humor, everyone else, from Warframe to Destiny, are just mind-numbingly boring.

Teletraan1

Banned
I hate this loot shooter genre. Doesn't seem like a good fit for the studio. I would rather they spent the last 5 years of their existence on literally anything else.

Dontero

Banned
Looks like the haters thread

Definitely this but imho it is not unexpected.
Bioware basically left making RPGs and their fanbase is RPG fans.
They see CDPR nailing down single player RPG and then them going with CB2077 again offline single player game.
Then they see bioware which first was forced to work on star wars mmo that flopped and now anthem co-op shooter which also looks like to be flop because it was designed by a bunch of suits who wanted always online destiny clone rather than Bioware game.

Two heads of studio also moved out of Bioware.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I hate this loot shooter genre. Doesn't seem like a good fit for the studio. I would rather they spent the last 5 years of their existence on literally anything else.
Yeah, this. I'm puzzled as well. Bought Shadow Warrior 2 after everyone was raving about it and it was one of the most boring things ever. Play 10 minutes, sort useless shit out in your inventory for 10 minutes -> repeat. I really have troubles understanding what's the appeal in this. Guess I don't have to understand everything.

Last edited:
Apex Legends is free, reviewed well, and launched weeks before Anthem, which costs $70 and won’t review super well.

They shot themselves in the foot again by launching too close together.

If they want my money, make another KOTOR, Mass Effect, or Dragon Age. And, make the campaign the focus, not shoehorning in every multiplayer monetizing scheme they can.

Why is Rockstar the only company that knows how to make great single player 3rd person games with fun multiplayer modes?? They do it right, giving a beefy campaign and fun multiplayer. (Other criticisms aside.)
Maybe they should've made an Iron Man action rpg instead? I haven't played the demo myself but I can see the potential. It's just that I find the setting and the artstyle so goddamn boring. And the story stuff in the city isn't exactly sparking my interest either. But I wouldn't declare it as dead. Look at Destiny, that is still a thing. So, I'm sure Anthem will find its audience. However, I am not so certain about Anthem hitting the targets that EA want it to hit...

Maybe it's just me being (still) salty over Mass Effect: Andromeda...
what I mean is it’s not going to be the success EA is hoping for.

Typhares

I'll break the 'hater' trend: after playing the demo Anthem is my most anticipated game since God Of War.
IF they fix the performace issue I'll be there day 1.
I loved the flying, the javelins abilities and mobility, the combo system, the stronghold. I even liked the little mission for matthias and his dialogue.
Diablo 2/3 are games I spent hundreds of hours in and Anthem gives me the same feeling. I have no interest whatsoever in pvp.

Meccs

You are the Nostradamus of video games!
Seriously though, there are enough people out there that love that kind of gameplay. If they keep up the support, this game will be ok. Not sure if ok is enough for EA (probably not) but you get what I mean.

McCheese

If it looked and played closer to that vertical slice, I would be all over it.

But it's so janky and unfinished, it needed another delay. paired with EA having that stupid staggered release date scam, no way I'm touching it.

Ogbert

It’s ok. Looked good on PC.

I just think it’s a pity that BioWare are working on this rather than a single player RPG.

I actually think the game is good, but lacks that “something special”... and good but not great means it will likely underperform.

BioWare, when they want, can make great single player games and even decent multiplayer modes. To me, that’s what they could continue doing, the market for GAAS is getting saturated.

Lanrutcon

It'll make money. Numbers will be high for the first month, they'll report a healthy a game and publish slick looking roadmaps and teaser images for future content. They'll promise patches to fix the rocky console performance and slew of weird bugs that get exploited by the day 1 buyers. The marketing worked. The pre-orders were secured. Life is good. The front page of GAF has 6 Anthem threads and no-one minds.

Then comes month 3 and Kotaku runs a story about the drastically dropping player numbers. Is Anthem dying? Gasp. Is Anthem...a failure? The community is shocked and appalled to find that the game launched with little content, no endgame and shallow progressions systems. Everyone has seen everything the game has to offer. The roadmap gets republished. Nobody cares.

Month 4 and nobody is talking about the game anymore. Buyer's remorse is the theme of the day. How did we fall for it again? Online shooter rpgs and their damn marketing! But it's ok. We won't make that mistake again. Right? Right. Somewhere a small marketing team meets to confidently discuss the upcoming Anthem expansion. GAAS knows its audience.

Don't worry, the expansion will fix everything.

Ovek

7Member7
It will be interesting when it launches. The sales could start strong and then flatline or they could be a slow burner as BioWare try’s to improve the gameplay loop and mechanics that brings more people to it.

Either way I bet whatever they manage to sell they will fall well below the EA sales target.

Boss Mog

I don't really care about anything other than the combat and the combat for me is very fun especially the Storm javelin which I'll probably stick to using almost exclusively. The main problem I had with Destiny and The Division is that combat wasn't fun so I was never gonna get into those games.

People that complain about Anthem's combat probably only played using the boring/generic Ranger javelin. It's like ME2 and ME3, if you didn't play those games as the Vanguard class then you really didn't play those games as far as I'm concerned.

Virex

Banned
You guys already playing the full release?
Well the "Demo" is pretty much a representation of the game. Combat mechanics, loot, exploration etc. Pretty much will indicate what the full release will be like and in our current day and age : "Fallout 76, Destiny etc." that had public "Demo" ended up being exactly like what those "demos" were. So if you have played the full release then please enlighten us crunt.

Last edited:
so the majority of you dont explain why its boring. its just boring. i can find you all jobs on your favorite video game review websites. i can introduce you

Top Bottom