• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a food/travel/education thing called "Mind of a Chef." I watched the first episode about noodles and it was pretty awesome.

video.pbs.org/program/mind-chef/

Looks interesting. I suppose we're now at the critical point of celebrity chefs getting TV shows. lol

I think David Chang's show on PBS (which Bordain produces) is a better show.
I've watched clips of Mind of a Chef, but I didn't know it still ran. The combination of Chang and Bourdain is fucking brilliant, two of the most charismatic and fascinating chefs you can watch.

Thanks for the reminder to check it out/links to stream. I started re-reading Medium Raw the other night and have barely been able to put it down. I love the older, more mellow-yet-somehow-still-cranky Bourdain of recent years.

see5harp

I've watched clips of Mind of a Chef, but I didn't know it still ran. The combination of Chang and Bourdain is fucking brilliant, two of the most charismatic and fascinating chefs you can watch.

I'm not sure if it's still running. It sounds like Anthony Bordain's idea was to follow a single chef each season.

dubc35

Half way through the first ep of PU, same old Bourdain. All his shows are the same. I like them, they're watchable, but it would be nice for some variety. It's the same show with different names.

Kaladin

Half way through the first ep of PU, same old Bourdain. All his shows are the same. I like them, they're watchable, but it would be nice for some variety. It's the same show with different names.

While you could make this argument about The Layover and No Reservations, this show is different. Sure, it's shot the same and has his trademark style but it is different. He's going places the Travel Channel probably wouldn't let him dedicate an hour to, places that aren't exactly tourist destinations yet and are still largely unknown to the outside world.

As for The Layover, I wouldn't be surprised if that was Travel channel trying to get him to do a new concept show and he said fuck it, we'll just do the same show around your "new concept".

dubc35

While you could make this argument about The Layover and No Reservations, this show is different. Sure, it's shot the same and has his trademark style but it is different. He's going places the Travel Channel probably wouldn't let him dedicate an hour to, places that aren't exactly tourist destinations yet and are still largely unknown to the outside world.

Good point. I wasn't really complaining, just mentioning they mostly seem the same, but point taken.

Dat train! damn.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The political content here is definitely higher than before, but I guess by virtue of starting in Burma it had to be.

I thought the Layover was good besides all the hotel stuff they put into it. I'm not watching the show for good hotel tips, I'm watching for his/crew's ideas for good places to eat.

bengraven

Wait, got too political? He showed you people in misery that most people in the first world either don't know exist or just don't give a fuck.

Should he have shown those episodes also from the rich warlords and dictators who were profiting, just to be fair and balanced? Maybe a cigar with Fidel over some kabobs?

dubc35

I kinda want to ride that train, but I'd need to be getting drunk like he was the whole time to not go crazy.

I'm drinking a beer right now watching the show and thought to myself, "I'm not sure if I could drink beer on a train bouncing like that."

edit, hmm, ep02 is in LA's Korea town, interesting

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn slamming the korean race.

I am actually impressed with the portrait though. Looks pretty good.

Edit: Sizzler still exists? WTF? LOL

wtf, did I miss it or something, CNN aired a Boston Bombing special instead of Parts Unknown during my TVGuide timespot.

Ah well... I'll just catch it on their website later on.

It was a pretty good glimpse at Korean-American culture. Even their disdain for Filipinos was thrown in real quick. Only thing missing was the degenerate love of gambling.

lolmark

I loved the Koreatown episode. It was definitely very interesting to see him focus on an ethnic enclave in LA rather than all of it. It was interesting to get the 1st and 2nd gen Korean experiences of the LA Riots, even if it was brief.

Milchjon

Watching the Koreatown ep. Great stuff, and taking an angle you don't see so much, especially from afar.

Much better than the Myanmar episode.

Colombia ep: Damn it Tony, we've been through this exact issue with you before---you know how this has to end!

Still enjoying the new series with every ep.

L3E2

Randomly caught this on tv today while channel surfing and I'm glad I watched it. Some of the camera shots are just amazing, definitely recording it from now on.

I wish I could have watched tonight's episode. My grandfather owns the restaurant that Tony went to in Bogota. I did catch a clip on cnn.com though. My cousin was the girl working the counter and I think I saw the back of my grandma's head too. Really cool to see!

zero_suit

I wish I could have watched tonight's episode. My grandfather owns the restaurant that Tony went to in Bogota. I did catch a clip on cnn.com though. My cousin was the girl working the counter and I think I saw the back of my grandma's head too. Really cool to see!
The rerun will be on at 12 EST.

Akahige

Did they actually show a rerun of that episode, I've had to go to itunes to get it so far since everytime the show airs I'm recording something else.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Did they actually show a rerun of that episode, I've had to go to itunes to get it so far since everytime the show airs I'm recording something else.
According to the schedule the current episode plays again at 12:00 am. Last week's episode comes on at 11pm

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man they should have called that episode Quebec instead Canada. Great episode otherwise, those guys are insanely indulgent.

On a related note I saw Bourdain and Eric Ripert's stage show in Toronto yesterday and it was fucking awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom