• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthrax Outbreak In Russia Thought To Be Result Of Thawing Permafrost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NPR

Russia is fighting a mysterious anthrax outbreak in a remote corner of Siberia. Dozens of people are hospitalized; one child has died. The government airlifted some families out because more than 2,000 reindeer have been infected.

Officials don't know exactly how the outbreak started, but the current hypothesis is almost unbelievable: A heat wave has thawed the frozen soil there and with it, a reindeer carcass infected with anthrax decades ago.

Some scientists think this incident could be an example of what climate change may increasingly surface in the tundra.

There's likely to be more cases of anthrax resurfacing, says Birgitta Evengard, a microbiologist at Umea University in Sweden. That's because climate change is causing the temperature in the Arctic Circle to rise very quickly.

"It's rising about three times faster in the Arctic than in the rest of the world," she says. "And that means the ice is melting and the permafrost is thawing."

"So we really don't know what's buried up there," she says. "This is Pandora's box."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Secondary effects of climate change are going to be unexpected and terrifying. Have I mentioned we're all fucked yet?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I watched a documentary a while ago, where they stated that there is stuff hidden in the snow that can potentially kill all humanity, especially if it gets reintroduced to the earth quickly. Yay global warming.

inhofe_snowball.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Climate Denial: Now featuring Anthrax

JaggedSac

I watched a documentary a while ago, where they stated that there is stuff hidden in the snow that can potentially kill all humanity, especially if it gets reintroduced to the earth quickly. Yay global warming.

Was the documentary called X-Files?

the1npc

I like how no one in politics really talks about stuff like this. Things could be really fucked in the future

neoanarch

Saw a show like this. Called Fortitude. Was really great.Stanley Tucci and Michael Gambon.
Except it was wasps.

Plum

I like how no one in politics really talks about stuff like this. Things could be really fucked in the future

Key words are in the future. Most politicians would have either retired or died by then so therefore they don't give a shit. It ranges from apathy to a complete denial, but they're just as bad.

Famassu

Spread of diseases (human, animal and even plant ones) to new regions is something that is discussed quite a lot in relation to climate change. If not by politicians per se, then at least by people who are actively trying to inform the public & politicians about the potential dangers & effects of climate change. Spread of diseases like anthrax from frozen dead animals perhaps is not, but that's really quite small a problem in comparison to stuff like disease-carrying ticks & insects spreading northwards, certain plant-destroying pests spreading to new or larger areas etc.

As far as Siberia melting goes, the methane released as permafrost in swamp areas melts is a far bigger problem, since it'll just furthermore strengthen climate change

the1npc

Key words are in the future. Most politicians would have either retired or died by then so therefore they don't give a shit. It ranges from apathy to a complete denial, but they're just as bad.

Do these people not have kids / grandkids?
Like the snow ball guy, I dont get it

Yep. When the permafrost melts, huge amounts of methane will be released. (Further intensifying global warming). That was what the documentairy was about if i remember correctly.

Nephtis

I'm actually glad that it's Anthrax, and not some super-virus that's just waiting to be unleashed and kill millions of people.

Anthrax is fucking terrible, but it could've been so, so, so much worse.

Yep. When the permafrost melts, huge amounts of methane will be released.* (Further intensifying global warming). That was what the documentairy was about if i remember correctly.

*Over a long period of time in terms of centuries, which every major study on the subject has found. Permafrost thawing is a long term trend issue, not as much a current issue of trying to get our emissions under control. The issues you see now are the issues permafrost thaw will produce, local and infrastructure changes, it's not going to be a doomsday event that a lot of people like to make it out to be
IE basically anyone who comes into climate threads on GAF

Huge amounts is not really a definable amount, last major study I saw on the subject from Nature had, under a high emission scenario (RCP 8.5, an emissions path that literally has the world accelerate emissions growth for like 50 more years, something not even remotely close to reality.), had permafrost thaw produce .13C-.27C of warming by 2100, and .45C warming by 2300.

You reduce emissions, you reduce the amount of permafrost thaw.

*Over a long period of time in terms of centuries, which every major study on the subject has found. Permafrost thawing is a long term trend issue, not as much a current issue of trying to get our emissions under control. The issues you see now are the issues permafrost thaw will produce, local and infrastructure changes, it's not going to be a doomsday event that a lot of people like to make it out to be
IE basically anyone who comes into climate threads on GAF

Huge amounts is not really a definable amount, last major study I saw on the subject from Nature had, under a high emission scenario (RCP 8.5, an emissions path that literally has the world accelerate emissions growth for like 50 more years, something not even remotely close to reality.), had permafrost thaw produce .13C-.27C of warming by 2100, and .45C warming by 2300.

You reduce emissions, you reduce the amount of permafrost thaw.

Don't worry, i was just telling the guy what the documentary was about.
I myself have no idea how dangerous it is and will never just say it will be the doom of mankind.
But thanx for your info. I will look into it a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom