• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Piracy Company Takes Down Multiple Videos With The Word "Pixel"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot2005

Banned
So an anti-piracy group has been getting videos taken down that have the word pixels in the title. Why you may ask? Because they believe that it is infringing on the copyrights to the Adam Sandler movie pixels.

An anti-piracy firm working for Columbia Pictures has hit Vimeo with a wave of bogus copyright takedowns just because people used the word 'Pixels' in their video titles. Several indie productions are affected, including an art-focused NGO, an award-winning short movie and a royalty free stock footage company.

This week anti-piracy group Entura International sent a notice to Vimeo in what first appeared to be an effort to stop piracy of the Columbia movie ‘Pixels’. Not only did it fail to do that in every way possible, it hit a number of indie creators and filmmakers instead.

Founded in November 2004, NeMe describes itself as a non-profit NGO and an ‘Independent Museum of Contemporary Art’.

“Our NGO has just received a DMCA notice for a video we produced in 2006 entitled ‘Pixels’,” the group told Vimeo this week.

“The video was directed by a Cypriot film-maker using his own photos and sounds/music on a shoestring budget and infringes no copyright.”

Here's the link to the article: https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-group-hits-indie-creators-for-using-the-word-pixels-150808/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just when I thought an Adam Sandler movie couldn't do much more harm that being terrible...

Also in news: Piracy sites are taking down all torrents with the word "pixel" in hopes no one will accidentally watch the abomination of a movie.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
To be fair, I bet it's not really that these little guys are infringing on Sandler's movie. It's just their clumsy methods of marking masses of copies of their movie gets a lot of false positives with such a simple name like that.

Scoot2005

Banned
To be fair, I bet it's not really that these little guys are infringing on Sandler's movie. It's just their clumsy methods of marking masses of copies of their movie gets a lot of false positives with such a simple name like that.

Read the article. This recent act has reached back in time quite farther than the recent movie. A dudes project for college was taken down for fuck sakes.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Holy shit. They took down the Pixels short film that the movie was based on.

I can't believe we're still forced to hear about Adam Sandler in 2015.

His 90s movies were never amusing and Punch Drunk Love is the worst PTA movie by miles.

How did he even get famous from SNL in the first place? What did he do on there? Opera Man?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My issue with this is that there is absolutely no consequence to C&D abuse. People subject to obviously bogus C&Ds should not merely be able to countclaim, they should also be able to seek injunctions against those making the claim. An Anti-SLAPP law for the DMCA generation.

Scoot2005

Banned
My issue with this is that there is absolutely no consequence to C&D abuse. People subject to obviously bogus C&Ds should not merely be able to countclaim, they should also be able to seek injunctions against those making the claim. An Anti-SLAPP law for the DMCA generation.

As far as I know the website (Vimeo) pretty much told these people that they can't do shit about it. The college project agitates me the most. All that work for fucking nothing simply due to some bullshit.

old

Would seem reasonable to me that they could sue for loss revenue and damages. Hell, trump up the claims and add defamation for the false accusation of pirating. Emotional trauma, distress. Really pile them up. Start making these companies think twice about filing these claims recklessly.

Europe will probably beat us to it and pass protections for uploaders before we do.

Agreed. It would keep these kinds of companies honest. Right now they know that they can just scattershot because it's cheaper and easier than being careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom