• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anxiety sufferers relax jake Paul has it covered

Prison Mike

Banned
Jake Paul has been heavily criticised after telling Twitter followers to "remember anxiety is created by you".

His comments provoked a strong reaction online, where people suffering from anxiety condemned the "dangerous" advice.

Others sarcastically thanked him for his suggestions.

The YouTuber, who has close to 20 million subscribers on the video-sharing platform, subsequently deleted his tweet.

"Remember anxiety is created by you," Paul wrote.

"Sometimes you gotta let life play out and remind yourself to be happy and that the answers will come.

"Chill your mind out. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend."

Brushed off
The remarks triggered an immediate response. Thousands of social media users propelled Jake Paul, who has recently started selling subscriptions to a "financial freedom movement", into the top trending terms on Twitter.

Skip Twitter post by @taylorndean
taylor nicole dean

@taylorndean

https://twitter.com/taylorndean/status/1229633701874733059

all of us are gettin cured of our anxiety disorders from jake paul’s tweet tonight... honestly a revolutionary moment

5:08 AM - Feb 18, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

687 people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @taylorndean
Many shared experiences of their own mental health conditions being dismissed.

Natalie Tran, an Australian YouTuber who has spoken publicly about her own mental health struggles, recalled an incident in which her obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) had been brushed off.

"I tried to talk to someone... about my OCD and he told me that he didn't want to listen because what had happened, according to him, was that the people in my life had spoiled me," she tweeted.

"That's what my OCD was."

Skip Twitter post by @ColleenB123

14.4K people are talking about this

End of Twitter post by @ColleenB123
This was what made "flippant" comments about anxiety so damaging, mental health campaigner and writer Lucy Nichol, who herself has an anxiety disorder, told BBC News.

"Because we can relate some day-to-day things to mental health conditions like anxiety, it's quite easy to be dismissive," she said.

"I've had years and years of therapy. I've been taking anti-depressants. I've had to take beta blockers when it's been really bad.

"One of my worst ever panic attacks occurred when I woke up at 03:00. Within about 30 seconds, I had a very bad panic attack.

"I thought I was going to die. It took about one and a half to two hours. It doesn't help to be told to chill out."

"It's one of the stereotypes about anxiety that I detest.

"If someone experiences very severe anxiety and sees those sorts of comments, they might not seek help."

First thread so it's a mess but as someone who suffers from this what a cunt

SirTerry-T

Next time this twat and his equally brain dead brother want to have a "celebrity" boxing match, can they go in the ring with a classic-era Mike Tyson. Cheers

Last edited:

Amory

Yeah obviously he's going to get shit for that, but i do find that a lot of people give their anxiety far too much power, and some even use it as a crutch and an excuse to not do anything with themselves. I see people discussing general or social anxiety like it's among the more serious mental health disorders.

We all have anxiety. A lot of us have it often. It's not the worst thing in the world to be reminded that it's not some invincible demon.

StormCell

I struggle a bit with anxiety. I compete in a sport that involves more than a hundred thousand dollars in equipment, and there's a lot that can go wrong that would hurt that investment. It's a lot to worry about.

Success in this sport requires trusting that no matter what happens, things will work out. Winning requires a positive mental attitude. There's no other way. It is a battle of wills.

I find truth in what this man says. I have to silence the demons and intentionally set my mind and intent on being positive.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You overcome anxiety by confronting the source and crushing it. Avoidant behavior, or meds, do not address your underlying problems. Some people need the meds and I don’t begrudge anyone for it, but they will make you weaker (and a different person) and getting off them will be a nightmare.

Is it easy? No, nothing worthwhile is easy. Can you regain control of your life after anxiety drowns you? Absolutely.

You overcome anxiety by confronting the source and crushing it. Avoidant behavior, or meds, do not address your underlying problems. Some people need the meds and I don’t begrudge anyone for it, but they will make you weaker (and a different person) and getting off them will be a nightmare.

Is it easy? No, nothing worthwhile is easy. Can you regain control of your life after anxiety drowns you? Absolutely.
meds combined with therapy has been empirically shown to be more effective than either treatment alone.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

meds combined with therapy has been empirically shown to be more effective than either treatment alone.
Where did Jake Paul say don’t get therapy?

"Sometimes you gotta let life play out and remind yourself to be happy and that the answers will come.

"Chill your mind out. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend."
That isn’t awful advice. It seems like the people crapping on him would prefer to swallow a pill everyday no matter their mood, and are upset by even the suggestion of having personal willpower.

Where did Jake Paul say don’t get therapy?

That isn’t awful advice. It seems like the people crapping on him would prefer to swallow a pill everyday no matter their mood, and are upset by even the suggestion of having personal willpower.
That was directed to EvilLore

V4skunk

Banned
Americans have so many mental health issues because you are all addicted to meds.
You go to a doctor for help in the US and they give you some pills lol.
Idiots.

Americans have so many mental health issues because you are all addicted to meds.
You go to a doctor for help in the US and they give you some pills lol.
Idiots.
So let me gets this straight. People have mental illness because they take medication? You have to get evaluated by a psychiatrist to even get medication in the first place and the only reason you go to a psychiatrist is because you are suffering from a mental disorder. Yep........your logic makes total sense 😂

V4skunk

Banned
So let me gets this straight. People have mental illness because they take medication? You have to get evaluated by a psychiatrist to even get medication in the first place and the only reason you go to a psychiatrist is because you are suffering from a mental disorder. Yep........your logic makes total sense 😂
My logic is that you idiots just gobbling pills down are doing your self more harm than good.
People suffering depression/anxiety don't need happy pills, they need therapy and people to talk to.

Tesseract

Banned
My logic is that you idiots just gobbling pills down are doing your self more harm than good.
People suffering depression/anxiety don't need happy pills, they need therapy and people to talk to.

in some cases they are too good

i agree in principle, cbt and the like with ample exercise and rigorous sex seems ideal

Last edited:
You call me the idiot but the evidence shows that both combined is the most effective form of treatment. Please actually educated yourself on the topic and learn a bit about psychopharmacology before you going around calling people idiots. Medication is a tool that needs to be taken seriously not a be all end to treatment. Ask any psychiatrist who just prescribed you medication if you should get therapy as well and the answer will be yes. I have gone through the entire process first had and will pursue my masters in counseling next year.

Kenpachii

Anxiety disorders are just pure bullshit in my view.

Bunch of made up nonsense for people to hide behind so they don't have to deal with shit and can blame something else then there own ass.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned
I just started experiencing panic attacks in the last few months. Went almost 40 years with none and now I’m getting them every now and then... Even after getting on medication.

These episodes are no joke. I went to the ER for the first one.. my entire body was numb and my blood pressure was 180/100.

I just started experiencing panic attacks in the last few months. Went almost 40 years with none and now I’m getting them every now and then... Even after getting on medication.

These episodes are no joke. I went to the ER for the first one.. my entire body was numb and my blood pressure was 180/100.
The problem is people don’t realize there are varying degrees of severity of anxiety. Panic attacks are a real things and they are scary. Hang in there bro ❤️

I quit lexapro cold turkey. I had about a year, maybe 18 months of withdrawals. It was pure fucking hell, came REAL close to not being around any more, but at the end of the day I’m glad I did it.

Wish I had never fucked around with pills to begin with.

This is true. Any therapist that gives a damn will tell you simply taking meds and doing nothing else won't change anything. You need to work on making yourself better physically, mentally, socially etc. Address what it is that is causing your anxiety, positive reinforcement, less dwelling on past events and the things in life you can't control. There's so much negativity that we often forget to stop and really think about the good things in our lives, that we're stronger than we give ourselves credit for. But it means nothing if we aren't working to better ourselves.

Anyway doctors usually start patients out on a low dosage for anxiety and depression, so the idea that Americans are addicted to drugs isn't true. We're not talking about opioids or vicodin which is relief for physical pain, but lexapro, escitalopram etc. In any case, medication isn't in itself bad, like most things it's good in moderation.

You make a good point about the synergy of medication and therapy and it's foolish to dismiss the former just because it may or may not lead to an addiction. Afterall, everyone is different, everyone reacts differently, but everyone has the opportunity to seek treatment as best they know how. Giving modern medicine a chance (combined with therapy and personal insight and work) doesn't make us stupid or weak.

Last edited:
This is true. Any therapist that gives a damn will tell you simply taking meds and doing nothing else won't change anything. You need to work on making yourself better physically, mentally, socially etc. Address what it is that is causing your anxiety, positive reinforcement, less dwelling on past events and the things in life you can't control. There's so much negativity that we often forget to stop and really think about the good things in our lives, that we're stronger than we give ourselves credit for. But it means nothing if we aren't working to better ourselves.

Anyway doctors usually start patients out on a low dosage for anxiety and depression, so the idea that Americans are addicted to drugs isn't true. We're not talking about opioids or vicodin which is relief for physical pain, but lexapro, escitalopram etc. In any case, medication isn't in itself bad, like most things it's good in moderation.

You make a good point about the synergy of medication and therapy and it's foolish to dismiss the former just because it may or may not lead to an addiction. Afterall, everyone is different, everyone reacts differently, but everyone has the opportunity to seek treatment as best they know how. Giving modern medicine a chance (combined with therapy and personal insight and work) doesn't make us stupid or weak.
Well said. I can guarantee you there are more dangerous medications for physical pain than mental disorders. However, that dose not mean you shouldn’t take it seriously. When I was prescribed anti-depressants he started me on a very low dosage. Medication is just another tool in the box. A stepping stone to help you get though the day so you can address the underlying problems in therapy. Once your psychiatrist sees you making good progress you can start to wind down the dosage of the medication. So many people are ill informed and think their doctors just want to pump them with pills and that is just not simply the case.

I quit lexapro cold turkey. I had about a year, maybe 18 months of withdrawals. It was pure fucking hell, came REAL close to not being around any more, but at the end of the day I’m glad I did it.

Wish I had never fucked around with pills to begin with.
You should never quit medication cold turkey. That shocks the body because it is so use to the medication. It’s always important to talk to your doctor about your desire to get off the medication. Quitting like you did only made your situation worse but glad you are alright bro

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member

"Chill your mind out. Go for a walk. Talk to a friend" and you'll be fine. Apparently.

You should never quit medication cold turkey. That shocks the body because it is so use to the medication. It’s always important to talk to your doctor about your desire to get off the medication. Quitting like you did only made your situation worse but glad you are alright bro
Yeah, they will lower the dosage so you will still be taking it for a while but not as much. Better to come off it gradually over time and it's just common sense.

Yeah, they will lower the dosage so you will still be taking it for a while but not as much. Better to come off it gradually over time and it's just common sense.
It’s really just basic physiology. It dose not matter what type of drug it is, alcohol, weed, crack, and even antidepressants your body will get use to that drug and it will literally change the chemistry in your brain. When you take that away with no warning, withdrawal symptoms will come soon and the severity can depend on how long you have used it. That is why doctors slowly lower the dosage over time so you can avoid most of the painful withdrawal symptoms. It’s why I always stress to people the importance of communication with your doctor. Yes they are actually there to help you, and if they are not it’s time to find a new one.

Last edited:

Orpheum

A mentally challenged lunatic giving advice on mental health, fuck him.

To anyone with mental health problems. Seek out professional help, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Thank you :)
and yes, you’re 100% right. I should have been clear that I don’t recommend it (I had lost job + insurance; was too stubborn to ask family for help — bad mode!)

I don't get anxiety. My ex girlfriend had it and I seriously don't get it. Meds helped her, but exercising kept her off meds. But it's always something that she dealt with. She definitely had past trauma to deal with that was causing some of it. She was a little OCD too.

But it's very strange being in a relationship with someone who has that next level of anxiety.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

This, I fight my anxiety head on as much as possible. Fuck drugs, all they did was turn me into a zombie or a crazy person.

I'm not sure if you just crush it. For some people I know anxiety is like herpes, you can just suppress it, and avoid the triggers, but it still crops up from time to time.

My best friend started having fairly rare panic attacks after his grandfather died, it was a traumatic death for him. Once his brain knew that he could have them, they came.

He too managed anxiety by exercising, but one day he got a back injury that lasted for half a year until they discovered why and had surgery on it. During that time he got on the lowest dosage of symbalta and managed it. But even while he was working out, he could feel attacks coming, so he had something on the side to ease it when the feeling came. He had to ween off symbalta with anti-nausea meds to help deal with the dizziness.

So he had control of his life the entire time, but till this day it hasn't gone away, even knowing the cause, avoiding his triggers, getting off the meds, and exercising. It's not like he can go deeper and cure it.

highrider

Banned
Yeah obviously he's going to get shit for that, but i do find that a lot of people give their anxiety far too much power, and some even use it as a crutch and an excuse to not do anything with themselves. I see people discussing general or social anxiety like it's among the more serious mental health disorders.

We all have anxiety. A lot of us have it often. It's not the worst thing in the world to be reminded that it's not some invincible demon.

Top Bottom