• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any announcements for Tales of Vesperia PS3 - Stateside??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

Been outta the gaming loop for almost a year honestly, as I was at a point in my life of wanting to take a long break from gaming, but now that I'm starting to play again, early this year, I heard of Tales of Vesperia coming to PS3 stateside this year, or was it a rumour?? Any news?? I sold my TOV LE Xbox360 edition way back for a hefty cashload, anticipating the PS3 release in the near future. Any news would be appreciated..Thanks GAF.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nothing yet. Rumors around the internet have mentioned April or May though. Namco won't comment on anything.

tokkun

Unless you are smitten with the loli pirate, I would suggest that you just get the 360 version. It can be found pretty cheap and already has quite a lot of content.

androvsky

Kagari said:
Nothing yet. Rumors around the internet have mentioned April or May though. Namco won't comment on anything.

I haven't even heard any decent rumors beyond the small German retail websites that seem to insist it's real (Siliconera even reported it), even though they apparently list many things that aren't going to happen (Last Remnant PS3, lol).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I would love Vespera PS3 to hit stateside. But this late in the game (near two years after the 360 version?), I doubt it'll happen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
androvsky said:
I haven't even heard any decent rumors beyond the small German retail websites that seem to insist it's real (Siliconera even reported it), even though they apparently list many things that aren't going to happen (Last Remnant PS3, lol).

The funny thing about TLR PS3 is that it's still on Square's site even though they've been updating it.

Firestorm

tokkun said:
Unless you are smitten with the loli pirate, I would suggest that you just get the 360 version. It can be found pretty cheap and already has quite a lot of content.
Not anymore =/ Might be a few left on eBay at the old price ($20) but it seems it has increased quite a bit since it went out of print.

Jigsaw

Banned
tokkun said:

uhm..no

Additional Content

The PlayStation 3 version of the game features full voice acting which is almost double the script as compared to the of the original 360 version. The game also features various new characters such as Flynn as a fully customizable, playable permanent character as well as Patty Fleur who is an entirely new character; it also features unplayable characters from Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike which the game ties-in with.[8] In addition, Repede, Flynn and Patty are selectable as on-screen avatars with new mini-games such as a racing mini-game for Repede, new subplots, skits and main game quests as well as side quests. The game also has new songs added to the game's soundtrack together with remodeled towns and new towns and dungeons. The game also includes new bosses such as the Sword Dancer from previous Tales games, Don Whitehorse and Clint/Tison/Nan, players are also able to replay boss fights at Nam Cobanda Isle.

In addition there are also new gameplay elements such as higher Overlimit Levels up to 8, more Mystic Artes including a dual Mystic Arte with Yuri and Flynn, new Artes, skills and equipments for characters. A new key item has also been added called the "Artes Ball" which allows an additional 8 Artes Shorcuts can be assign to the left analog stick which allows for a maximum of 16 Artes. The game also features a wide variety of new character costumes which include cameo costumes based on characters from previous Tales games as well as a special Sgt. Frog costume.[13] Also included is a scene-skip feature, a Team Arena in the Coliseum which also has new battles and modes together with Pre-Order Bonuses which are Tales of the Abyss character costumes. The game also features connectivity with the Tales spin-off, Tales of VS. for the PlayStation Portable.

Luigiv

tokkun said:
Not everyone has a 360, you know. And don't say "Just buy a 360". I can't speak for the OP, but with this gen's multiplatform focus, I can't justify the expense of a 360 when there are so few game I'm interested in that I can't already play on either my PC or PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
It's not coming. Get a 360 or wait for the next Tales game that's on PS3. If Graces gets ported to PS3 don't expect that either. Namco seems content to not bring over console ports of Tales games.

tokkun said:

As someone else mentioned they actually added quite a bit of story & gameplay to the PS3 version. Shame it'll never be released in English.

careksims

Screw the naysayers. I'm still hoping for this year. If they bring it over, I'm buying all the costumes. I saw the school uniforms on the Japanese PSN. Holy shit I want that here!

Already got the "CE" for the 360 and I'm willing to double-dip again. Vesperia is my all time favorite Tales game. Just bring it over you idiots!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
careksims said:
Screw the naysayers. I'm still hoping for this year. If they bring it over, I'm buying all the costumes. I saw the school uniforms on the Japanese PSN. Holy shit I want that here!

Already got the "CE" for the 360 and I'm willing to double-dip again. Vesperia is my all time favorite Tales game. Just bring it over you idiots!

Namco should especially with all the RPGs releasing for PS3 in the first half of the year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kagari said:
Namco should especially with all the RPGs releasing for PS3 in the first half of the year.
I'd imagine they would at least wait to see how those do before bringing it over at this point.

ymmv

Banned
I'm waiting for the PS3 version too BTW. I never got the European 360 version when it was clear that there would be a PS3 port coming soon. Unfortunately it's Scamco and we're still left in the dark about a possible release date.

Additional Content

The PlayStation 3 version of the game features full voice acting which is almost double the script as compared to the of the original 360 version. The game also features various new characters such as Flynn as a fully customizable, playable permanent character as well as Patty Fleur who is an entirely new character; it also features unplayable characters from Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike which the game ties-in with.[8] In addition, Repede, Flynn and Patty are selectable as on-screen avatars with new mini-games such as a racing mini-game for Repede, new subplots, skits and main game quests as well as side quests. The game also has new songs added to the game's soundtrack together with remodeled towns and new towns and dungeons. The game also includes new bosses such as the Sword Dancer from previous Tales games, Don Whitehorse and Clint/Tison/Nan, players are also able to replay boss fights at Nam Cobanda Isle.

In addition there are also new gameplay elements such as higher Overlimit Levels up to 8, more Mystic Artes including a dual Mystic Arte with Yuri and Flynn, new Artes, skills and equipments for characters. A new key item has also been added called the "Artes Ball" which allows an additional 8 Artes Shorcuts can be assign to the left analog stick which allows for a maximum of 16 Artes. The game also features a wide variety of new character costumes which include cameo costumes based on characters from previous Tales games as well as a special Sgt. Frog costume.[13] Also included is a scene-skip feature, a Team Arena in the Coliseum which also has new battles and modes together with Pre-Order Bonuses which are Tales of the Abyss character costumes. The game also features connectivity with the Tales spin-off, Tales of VS. for the PlayStation Portable.

that's some good stuff, i need this.

Paznos

Still waiting for it Namco, and I'm a double dipper imagine how many new PS3 owners would be interested in it.

Bebpo

Banned
Jigsaw said:
they brought over eternal sonata too,which made much less sense

The problem is that they added so much new content to Vesperia PS3 that it would take a large amount of $$$ to localize. Namco probably doesn't want to gamble that risk since late ports don't sell very well and PS3 games don't sell that great in general.

rykomatsu

Bebpo said:
The problem is that they added so much new content to Vesperia PS3 that it would take a large amount of $$$ to localize. Namco probably doesn't want to gamble that risk since late ports don't sell very well and PS3 games don't sell that great in general.

I believe Trusty Bell added a significant amount of scripting to the 360 release. I remember reading on the dev blog...something like a 50% increase, which is pretty similar (% wise) to the amount of script increase for ToV. Granted, I don't remember of TB required a vast re-recording of the original script, which was supposedly required of ToV due to Patty being included.

I did manage an additional 15~20hrs (i think) of ToV PS3 on my first pass, even though I had already put in over 100hrs in the 360 release. I don't think TB added, time-wise, that much additional content.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
NightHawk17 said:
a couple of european retailers are listing the game, there was an article on siliconcera a few days ago
Yes and that tidbit siliconera reported on was several months old already and they failed to mention that all those sites were noname german retailers who all likely draw from the same database. But hey, who am I to bring logic into this debate. Surely we can trust the go nintendo of old japanese news!*

*note: this sarcastic anger is not directed at you ;)

john tv

rykomatsu said:
I believe Trusty Bell added a significant amount of scripting to the 360 release. I remember reading on the dev blog...something like a 50% increase, which is pretty similar (% wise) to the amount of script increase for ToV. Granted, I don't remember of TB required a vast re-recording of the original script, which was supposedly required of ToV due to Patty being included.

I did manage an additional 15~20hrs (i think) of ToV PS3 on my first pass, even though I had already put in over 100hrs in the 360 release. I don't think TB added, time-wise, that much additional content.
The cost to localize TOV's PS3-added content vs. the cost to localize ES's PS3-added content is probably something like 20:1. The ES script is like 10% the size of the TOV one -- even if it did have a 50% increase (which it didn't), it wouldn't be anywhere near as costly as TOV.

I want PS3 TOV more than anyone, but considering the sales of the 360 version (dismal from what I heard -- anyone have NPDs?), I wouldn't hold my breath.

Kishgal

Banned
darkwings said:
More important, where is Tales of Graces stateside?

From the reports I heard, Graces is a blast to play.
I'm much more concerned with this, as well. The extra content in Vesperia PS3 sounds great, but Graces is a whole new game.

darkwings

Banned
Kishgal said:
I'm much more concerned with this, as well. The extra content in Vesperia PS3 sounds great, but Graces is a whole new game.

Yeah, and Graces is not a half-assed effort like ToS2 was either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
john tv said:
The cost to localize TOV's PS3-added content vs. the cost to localize ES's PS3-added content is probably something like 20:1. The ES script is like 10% the size of the TOV one -- even if it did have a 50% increase (which it didn't), it wouldn't be anywhere near as costly as TOV.

I want PS3 TOV more than anyone, but considering the sales of the 360 version (dismal from what I heard -- anyone have NPDs?), I wouldn't hold my breath.
According to AniHawk it crawled to 130k eventually, but it launched with like 37k, so I imagine Namco didn't sell all of those at full price to retailers.

I can't imagine retailers would be dying for the game either considering the Xbox 360 sales.

Couldn't they bring the game out with Japanese audio + subtitles? I heard that PS3 games have to be translated but isn't Yakuza 3 coming over here subtitled?

grandjedi6

john tv said:

It was at 107k as of last January and, if you want to believe him, Anihawk claims to has climbed to 130k-ish.

Firestorm

john tv said:

37k first month, 33k second month, and then 130k LTD last I heard. As grandjedi says, it hit 107k by January.

August 08: 33,000
September 08: 37,000
October - December 08: 37,000
2009: 30,000

So a crapton better than Abyss and Legendia, but no idea how that works out for them as far as localization costs + HD development costs (after Microsoft's free monies).

darkwings

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
It was at 107k as of last January and, if you want to believe him, Anihawk claims to has climbed to 130k-ish.

It is still a shameful figure considering that ToV might be the best RPG for 360 so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
akachan ningen said:
Couldn't they bring the game out with Japanese audio + subtitles? I heard that PS3 games have to be translated but isn't Yakuza 3 coming over here subtitled?
I'm sure Sony would be thrilled to have a game that's in English on their competitor's console, but only subtitled on theirs.

Even though it seems unlikely there's alot of circumstantial evidence that shows that there may be a PS3 release. Two people have claimed to have spoken to the voice actor for the main character (Troy Baker) and he apparently told them he had been called back to voice new artes.

A few retailers also have a listing for a european PS3 version which can be found here

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90335216.asp?agent=288

http://www.alcom.ch/games.php?waszei...nummer=s337860

http://www.wog.ch/extern.cfm/product...1/affiliate/14

http://shop.chip.de/products/90335216.asp?agent=765

http://www.game-and-fun.de/Sony-Play...ria_43188.html

I emailed the first one and they said their list says it's coming in March however there hasn't been any official announcement by the Namco Bandai scum.

Also Sony have publicly said they have tried to convince Namco Bandai to release it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

kiryogi

Banned
Wow hearing that from John, I guess it's fate is sealed. But now in addition to that, there was some intarweb detective work done.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2934853&sid=d27aa589066b4a75d58147204e716f56#2934853

In regards to Graces:

"Hm, did anyone notice that in the staff roll there's a "Localization Team" (ローカライズチーム) credited, just like in the Japanese ToV 360? (And that the ToV PS3 version doesn't have that anymore?)"

Tho if that doesn't mean anything for ToV PS3 alone. . . But Graces on the other hand?

lucablight said:
Even though it seems unlikely there's alot of circumstantial evidence that shows that there may be a PS3 release. Two people have claimed to have spoken to the voice actor for the main character (Troy Baker) and he apparently told them he had been called back to voice new artes.

That's been discredited and was possibly versus even. There hasn't been any word from any other Vesperia actors on reprising their roles.

grandjedi6

Considering that john tv of all people doesn't think Vesperia PS3 is coming, that alone kill all hope for it. Add in the logical concerns (the hefty amount of voice work to be redone, retail difficulties, etc.) and the fact that the voice actor for Yuri has stated he hasn't done anything and doesn't even know who Patty is.... there really shouldn't be anyone holding out hope anymore. But of course even after Namco announces their Tales of titles for the year and it doesn't include Vesperia PS3, people will still hold out a blind hope. :(

Kishgal

Banned
kiryogi said:
Wow hearing that from John, I guess it's fate is sealed. But now in addition to that, there was some intarweb detective work done.

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2934853&sid=d27aa589066b4a75d58147204e716f56#2934853

In regards to Graces:

"Hm, did anyone notice that in the staff roll there's a "Localization Team" (ローカライズチーム) credited, just like in the Japanese ToV 360? (And that the ToV PS3 version doesn't have that anymore?)"

Tho if that doesn't mean anything for ToV PS3 alone. . . But Graces on the other hand?
Wow, that's very interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kiryogi said:

In regards to Graces:

That's been discredited and was possibly versus even. There hasn't been any word from any other Vesperia actors on reprising their roles.
Well, Tales of Graces hasn't been released in the U.S. already, so I imagine that one is pretty safe.

It's that Tales of Vesperia has already been available for years here that makes this a much harder business decision.

grandjedi6 said:
Considering that john tv of all people doesn't think Vesperia PS3 is coming, that alone kill all hope for it. Add in the logical concerns (the hefty amount of voice work to be redone, retail difficulties, etc.) and the fact that the voice actor for Yuri has stated he hasn't done anything and doesn't even know who Patty is.... there really shouldn't be anyone holding out hope anymore. But of course even after Namco announces their Tales of titles for the year and it doesn't include Vesperia PS3, people will still hold out a blind hope. :(

Excuse my ignorance but is John TV a person who is always in the know or has inside information?

grandjedi6

lucablight said:
Excuse my ignorance but is John TV a person who is always in the know or has inside information?
John tv works for 8-4 ltd who worked on the localization for Vesperia, Symphonia, Abyss, etc.

Kishgal

Banned
lucablight said:
John TV works for 8-4, the company who has done the localization for all Tales games since Symphonia.

kiryogi

Banned
darkwings said:
So I guess he could have inside info about localization plans for Graces then?

Hah if he did, he wouldn't say a word. I know someone else that works for 8-4 and lemme tell ya, they're tight-lipped!

lucablight said:
I see. So if a PS3 localisation was happening then he would definitely know about it?

Exactly, and I suppose considering it's a lost cause, that's probably why he's giving some input on it.

Firestorm

Ooooh who's listed under Localization for Graces? Any 8-4 staff?
lucablight said:
I see. So if a PS3 localisation was happening then he would definitely know about it?
Yes. I could've sworn you'd been told this in the official thread as well. When the people involved with localization (john tv, Yuri's voice actor) say they haven't been asked to do a localization, there's a very low chance that a localization is currently in the works!

Firestorm said:
Ooooh who's listed under Localization for Graces? Any 8-4 staff?Yes. I could've sworn you'd been told this in the official thread as well. When the people involved with localization (john tv, Yuri's voice actor) say they haven't been asked to do a localization, there's a very low chance that a localization is currently in the works!

I don't recall every hearing about John TV before this thread. I know many voice actors have denied being called back for anything Vesperia related but as far as I'm aware Troy Baker hasn't said anything. I even tried to contact him myself but he read my message and chose not to reply.

Kishgal

Banned
Firestorm said:
Ooooh who's listed under Localization for Graces? Any 8-4 staff?
I found the bit in the credits:

gracescredits.png

I don't recognize either name at first glance, but maybe someone here does.

EDIT: It seems Jeremy Clark is a localization producer/coordinator at Namco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom