• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Counter Strike Source Players Here?

You think the new update is going to add any value to the game?

Originally Posted by Steam Update News
Soon, we'll be releasing the first in a series of updates to Counter-Strike: Source which will be focused on moving the core Counter-Strike gameplay forward.

The second facet of this release will be a completely reworked radar system. There will be a significant change to the aesthetics of the radar, but there are also some fairly significant gameplay ramifications to the new system. One example: when you look directly at an enemy for a long enough time for their name to appear on your screen, everyone on your team will be able to see that enemy in the radar. We're planning on releasing this first update in about two weeks.

It's like the benefits of team communication without actually having to have any. This should make pubs much more bearable.

Animal

Banned
Fix the god damn engine first...Some real stuttering issues...I've tried all kinds of elaborate and complex fixes and nothing has done anything. My sytem is more than adequate to run hl2 and it does, but every 5 min or so a 20 sec of stuttering occurs.

I'd be a full blown CS:S player if it wern't for this.

winalot

Sounds interesting, I'll definitely check that out.

When I first booted HL2 it suffered from stuttering but luckily for me one of the first fixes on the Steam forums I came across sorted it out.

pestul

I find myself only playing the gimmicky levels lately (Iceworld/shooting gallery etc).. although I suppose that stems from playing UT99 mods exclusively. CS:S has pretty much kept me from playing BF2 for months due to the quickness you jump in and play.

Shoho

Banned
Yeah. Im playing CSS.
Im waiting for the next big online FPS. Halo 2 was impressive, but I got sick of does damn kids on xbox live.
Quake Wars and BF2142 looks sort of lame, clichee and uninspiring. Bad updates of ancient games with a new coat of paint.

I hope that Team Fortress 2 will be fresh and interesting. Hopefully it will be what Ubisoft's XIII was supposed to have been in an online incarnation.

Besides that? I got no idea. Sort of thinking Huxley will let me down. Halo 3? Boy I don't know what to expect from that...

I hope Dark Messiah will be fun. I talked to a guy who is in the multiplayer betatest. He says it's a blast, even though it's unbalanced. Sword combat FTW!:)

BlueLegs

rafman400 said:
does any fps add new guns after it's release?
The original Counter Strike added new weapons after it went to retail.........

But anyways, this is something i've always wanted, it might actually make those noobs who just rush right into rooms randomly useful. :p

Sometimes I get the urge and play for 2-3 weeks then drop again.. I didn't know about this update, but now I'm looking forward to it.

MutFox

Banned
Animal said:
Fix the god damn engine first...Some real stuttering issues...I've tried all kinds of elaborate and complex fixes and nothing has done anything. My sytem is more than adequate to run hl2 and it does, but every 5 min or so a 20 sec of stuttering occurs.

I'd be a full blown CS:S player if it wern't for this.
I play almost everyday, and this stutter you talk about has been gone for a while.

And for those who play CS: S a lot...
My x-fire name - mutfox

I'm a Westcoast player, but i'll play on central servers.
Gun of choice on CT - m4
on T - sig
No AWP noob cannon for me. :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
I don't mind this, but hopefully they thought this one out. valve usually doesn't when it comes to cs gameplay mechanics. Real problem is will all the scrubs who don't use radar actually notice this change?

MutFox

Banned
Hatorade said:
I don't mind this, but hopefully they thought this one out. valve usually doesn't when it comes to cs gameplay mechanics. Real problem is will all the scrubs who don't use radar actually notice this change?

That's when you teach people how to play using the provided voice comm.
I've led teams from doom, to coming back from losing deficits.

You just tell them they're being retards, give them facts, and they usually respond.

Easy_G

I've been playing off and on for the past year, but a lot more in the past month for some reason. I'm looking forward to this. Though I'm sure there will be plenty of people complaining about how horrible it is for some reason.

I'm curious about any other gameplay tweaks they have in store. The update made it sound like they are going to start revamping more than just the radar.

Finally, Scout/Deagle/Nade FTW.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Updates sound interesting, but I'm-a go ahead and play right now anyway :)

Steam login is B_Genius; add me if you fancy a game!

Zen

Banned
I play counterstrike, usually in bursts of a few weeks at a time. But that works for me, since everytime I get the urg to play it again I have a total blast for those 2-4 weeks.

I'll definately boot it back up again to check out the updates.

I don't play CS too much because I suck miserably. My friend took me to a DM server on CSS and THAT was fun, but I just don't have the patience or skill to get better at CS.

Played CS:S a shitload when it came out, then stopped for a few months, then picked up again for a few months, and I play very sparingly now. Probably because my laptop is a piece of shit and most of the time the game freezes up after about 20 minutes.

I'm really excited for the update, it will be nice to have a better radar. I've played CS heavily for the last year, its so damn addictive. If anyone wants to play my xfire = jerf, I play on westcoast servers mostly

Easy_G

It's funny how a game that "sucks" can still be the most played online shooter around.

And for those that say CS takes no skill, you're just bad. Sure, you can have a few rounds where you rack up 5 or 6 kills fairly easily, but trying doing that consistently on a server with other people that are actually good. It's damn hard. You have to know which weapon to use in which situation, when and where to reload, how to control the recoil for the different weapons, when a nade is actually useful, whether or not you need to switch to sidearm, keep track of your radar to monitor enemy positions (by checking to see where your teammates are dieing), listen closely to anyone around you, and then actually learn a map. Sure, most of this stuff is consistent with other FPS games, but these are all still skills that you cannot learn quickly. Not to mention the mind games involved in a 1 on 1 at the end of a round.

Try playing on with the scout (not so cheap that it's a constant one hit kill) and do well. If you just try and camp you'll be toast. You have to actually learn when and where to move and when to use only your pistol.

yilmazz

Mark Gonzales said:
Stick to your autoaim console FPS noob.

Sorry mate, but I don't play console FPS. kthxbye

I really wanted to like CSS. I even bought the futile condition zero just to play the css beta.. but the game is one big disappointment. The gameplay is nowhere near cs level, the weapon recoil is a joke. I think only people who really suck at shooters and can't compete in cs can enjoy css because their noobnes is hitting fertile soil there.

Tat

Banned
Mark Gonzales said:
Stick to your autoaim console FPS noob.

Halo with auto aim is more challenging than CSS. :lol

As long as you don't look down into the ground you'll get a headshot on those gigantic player models.

Xdrive05

Tat said:

As long as you don't look down into the ground you'll get a headshot on those gigantic player models.

Blasphemy. What kind of servers were you playing on?

Zen

Banned
Tat said:

With the bullets per second being ejected with most of those weapons, it's not like getting hit in the head is that unlikely.

MutFox

Banned
yilmazz said:

I really wanted to like CSS. I even bought the futile condition zero just to play the css beta.. but the game is one big disappointment. The gameplay is nowhere near cs level, the weapon recoil is a joke. I think only people who really suck at shooters and can't compete in cs can enjoy css because their noobnes is hitting fertile soil there.

So you played the game in beta, and thought it sucked...
Ok...

Try the game now, they have tweaked it a lot since then.
Until then, your opinion means nothing.

Also, I knew the Xbots would come here in force defending their piece of crap FPS Halo.
Go make a thread about Halo, stop trolling.
Halo will never have the type of community CS has. Ever.
There is atleast 1 new map everyday, new MOD's, etc...

And people talking about it not taking skill,
any competitve game takes skill, stop being retarded.
There will always be people that strive to be the best, which pushes others to be better.

I wanna see some of these people that say it doesn't take skill,
to come on a server and see how they do.
(A full on realistic server, with FF on, all weapons, non-NOOB servers.)

rafman400

yilmazz said:

if your not a css player then why are you posting in this thread?

LCGeek

formerly sane
He's probably a 1.6 player bitter that he can't adjust to source. You can usually tell btw they describe recoil or how they think gameplay is. CS:S has better nades, fbs and maps. 1.6 only can take on source when you look at how glitches and bugs effect gameplay, source has way too many valve needs to work out. I like both games, but they have various issues that keep me from liking it the same when I played all the time during the betas.

Zilch

Banned
Hatorade said:
He's probably a 1.6 player bitter that he can't adjust to source. You can usually tell btw they describe recoil or how they think gameplay is. CS:S has better nades, fbs and maps. 1.6 only can take on source when you look at how glitches and bugs effect gameplay, source has way too many valve needs to work out. I like both games, but they have various issues that keep me from liking it the same when I played all the time during the betas.

Ha, I was just about to post something similar to this. Whining about recoil is a sure sign of this. :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Nerf the autosnipe and they wouldnt even be close. Most servers are wise to it now anyway.

I miss 1.5 , 2 Shot kill Deagle FTW.

yilmazz said:

Hmm that's funny. I played cs for years and now I play CSS. I think you just suck at FPS's.

h1nch

CSS is fine. I can play either 1.6 or CSS, it just takes time to get used to one when switching from the other.

I started playing again recently after stopping for over a year to play WoW/BF2. Now that I can't play BF2 (which completely wipes the floor with both source and 1.6 in terms of fun factor) anymore I've reluctantly moved back to source. The update sounds pretty neat, it can't hurt. The game could really use some new features and guns. I wouldn't mind if they updated some of the first source maps like dust/office (aesthetically only). Its crazy how much nicer the newer maps like militia/inferno/nuke/assault look compared to the original batch of maps.

Zilch

Banned
momolicious said:
why are there so many 1.6 for LYFE and Source Sucks automatically.

It gives them a sense of elitism. Or cuz they have a computer that can't run CS:S very well.

Pikelet

why are there so many 1.6 for LYFE and Source Sucks automatically
The old school cs players have been playing for years, a slight adjustment to the recoil will **** up theyre skills quite a bit. The new aiming also gives noobs an easier time i have noticed.

Top Bottom