• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any creepy Urban Legends in your area?

I've lived most of my life in nothern Sweden in a very small town. It used to be famous for it's military for many years, but with time the mitilary was shut down and moved to other places in Sweden.
There's still a big, abandoned base/fort in the mountains left from maybe ww2. Today it's like a museum and you can go on guided tours.

But there's a urban legend that a lot people (soldiers, hikers) died there and in the woods nearby. So if you go there at night you can hear screams and shouting, echoing, from the bunkers and in the woods surrounding the fort. Some say that there has been people who have gone missing after going into the fort at night.

I have never been there at night, I was always to scared.

This all sounds so silly now when I'm older, but it always scared me as a child/teenager. :messenger_neutral:

So tell me, what's a creepy urban legend in your area?

Last edited:

Keihart

Cool thread, can't think of anything right now but i'll mark this thread in the hopes of people sharing some cool spooky stuff.
Happy Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Last edited:

Relativ9

My home town in northern Norway was a pretty major cite for WW2 (the battle of Narvik) and in addition to the large naval and mountain battles that took place and killed thousands of people, there was also a Nazi slave labour camp nearby in Beisford which saw about 900 POWs tortured and most died, over 250 executed in a single day by the Nazi's, over 100 of these were burned alive. Naturally there are quite a few urban ledgends and ghosts stories surrounding that place.

Also where I live now is Romania in the Transylvania region spesifically...I don't think I need to point out what Urban legend comes from this fucked up place.

Last edited:
My home town in northern Norway was a pretty major cite for WW2 (the battle of Narvik) and in addition to the large naval and mountain battles that took place and killed thousands of people, there was also a Nazi slave labour camp nearby in Beisford which saw about 900 POWs tortured and most died, over 250 executed in a single day by the Nazi's, over 100 of these were burned alive. Naturally there are quite a few urban ledgends and ghosts stories surrounding that place.

Also where I live now is Romania in the Transylvania region spesifically...I don't think I need to point out what Urban legend comes from this fucked up place.
Damn, thats really creepy and dark.. Feel like many urban legends come from wars. :messenger_confounded:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
in Dallas, TX, it was Oak Cliff Hill. On Louisiana Ave, if you parked your car in neutral on a little bump in the road, the ghost of a girl who was murdered there would push you up and over the bump, and on down the hill going northbound. As you completely descend down the hill, if you roll your windows down, you can hear the little girl's shrieks as you descend.

In the mid-2000s, local residents had the bump flattened out or it was just paved due to surrounding construction. The new residents of the sprawl that swallowed up Louisiana Ave didn't want teenagers invading their neighborhood in the middle of the night, but it remains a local spooky spot for the curious.

in Dallas, TX, it was Oak Cliff Hill. On Louisiana Ave, if you parked your car in neutral on a little bump in the road, the ghost of a girl who was murdered there would push you up and over the bump, and on down the hill going northbound. As you completely descend down the hill, if you roll your windows down, you can hear the little girl's shrieks as you descend.

In the mid-2000s, local residents had the bump flattened out or it was just paved due to surrounding construction. The new residents of the sprawl that swallowed up Louisiana Ave didn't want teenagers invading their neighborhood in the middle of the night, but it remains a local spooky spot for the curious.
Really spooky and scary.. Could be an intresting movie. The murder is horrifying

Amiga

in a mountain town I used to visit as a kid, sometimes when children are alone at home, They will come and mimic the voice of a parent. happened to me once while I was with my cousins. the voice was calling for us to open the door, but there was no shadow at the door threshold where it normally should. we just sat down and froze there until the voice went away.

also, no place is really abandoned, when people move out, Others move in. specially if the place is in a secluded area. it what They prefer the most.

in a mountain town I used to visit as a kid, sometimes when children are alone at home, They will come and mimic the voice of a parent. happened to me once while I was with my cousins. the voice was calling for us to open the door, but there was no shadow at the door threshold where it normally should. we just sat down and froze there until the voice went away.

also, no place is really abandoned, when people move out, Others move in. specially if the place is in a secluded area. it what They prefer the most.
Thats the most terrifying thing i ever heard.. Did you ever say it to your parents?

niilokin

I read some of Emily Gerard's (who was a friend and huge inspiration to Bram Stoker) texts on Transylvanian myths and I must say the old Roumanian culture and daily life seemed to be delightfully rich in superstitions. very inspiring stuff.

Kazza

Also where I live now is Romania in the Transylvania region spesifically...I don't think I need to point out what Urban legend comes from this fucked up place

When you say fucked up, do you mean historically or now? How is it living there today? I'm picturing a RE4 type village (although I know that was set in Spain, but it didn't look like Iberia to me).

There is a little town just 18 miles up the road from me, legend has it that if you walk down some of it's streets (even in broad daylight) you get stabbed, for no reason

An eerie place, full of detritus

Used to go by the name London.
Oh, that’s just a big no! :messenger_neutral: Is it people that just stabbing each other or something else?

MilkyJoe

This one from a town a few along the coast from me

The Ratman of Southend is an English urban legend originating in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.[1] The story of the Ratman tells of an old homeless man, seeking shelter from the cold in an underpass, was set upon by a group of youths and beaten to near-death, cold and blood loss doing the rest. As he died, the numerous vermin who inhabit the area gathered, and were found to have devoured his face. After this, a ghostly figure was spotted in the underpass, with people hearing ratlike squealing, and scraping, as if large claws were moving across the walls.

Relativ9

When you say fucked up, do you mean historically or now? How is it living there today? I'm picturing a RE4 type village (although I know that was set in Spain, but it didn't look like Iberia to me).
Historically it's mostly fucked up because of the Kommunist years, as well as the border changes with the Austro-Hungarian Empire after the war(s). But also now for other reasons.

Well I mean as a expat for lack of a better term (I have my own development company and work from home for mostly US based clients) I am in a privilaged possition of having a income several orders of magnitude higher than the national median, so it's not like I'm experiencing living like a "true Romanian", even my wife (who's Romanian) comes from a comparetively well-off family with several fancy degrees. Most of the big cities (I live in Cluj-Napoca but also spend some time in Oradea (in-laws)) are fine and relatively western looking (with the exception of the huge communist "projects" at the outskirts/buroughs), some villages are a bit like the RE4 Type sure, I've been to villages with 2-300 people where they still didn't have electricity (outside of generators) or running water, and my wife has told me stories about visiting mountain communities as a kid where the old women would simply pee standing and whipe themselves with their thick skirts as they worked the fields, no one could read or write, and everyone smelled repulsive. And then of course there are the gypsy communities who often live in what can best be described as favela style scrapyard huts or they have their "castles" (they build massive ornamental houses with the money they get from working/begging/"other sources" in the west, usually nobody lives in these). Everything's mostly come a long way though, and if anyone ever gets a chance to visit I'd higly recommend it, as someone who loves to go hiking, and comes from another naturally stunning country I can swear to one thing; Romania is absolutely beutiful and a hidden gem of a country with a lot of incredible nature, culture, and cuisine.

It was a bit of a culture shock coming from Norway to here, in Norway everything is clean, modern and relatively efficent (goverment wise). Here there's delepadated buildings everywhere, trash litters the contryside, and the goverment and social systems are infected with bloat, inefficency and corruption. There are positives and negatives to both though, there are for example virtually no "woke" people here, even among the young and university educated, people concern themselves much more with real actuall problems than pretend offense and political correctness, and people are generally warmer and more welcoming here than in Norway (where we tend to be a bit cold and standoffish by comparison, and WAY more self absorbed).

Oh but to bring it back topic at hand, just some 30 or so years ago, there was a village close to where my wife is from that legitimately believed that a hermit-type figure who lived in the hills above their village was a werewolf, it was just a strange guy who had a fucked-up upbringing, but people in this village were so scared of him that he would just walk down the street and demand they give him things (alcohol, food, blankets, ect) in a very rude and not at all "begging" sort of way, and they would do it. They made a documentary of sorts about the urban legends surrounding him;
(subtitled).

Last edited:
This one from a town a few along the coast from me

The Ratman of Southend is an English urban legend originating in Southend-on-Sea, Essex.[1] The story of the Ratman tells of an old homeless man, seeking shelter from the cold in an underpass, was set upon by a group of youths and beaten to near-death, cold and blood loss doing the rest. As he died, the numerous vermin who inhabit the area gathered, and were found to have devoured his face. After this, a ghostly figure was spotted in the underpass, with people hearing ratlike squealing, and scraping, as if large claws were moving across the walls.
:messenger_fearful:

Kazza

Historically it's mostly fucked up because of the Kommunist years, as well as the border changes with the Austro-Hungarian Empire after the war(s). But also now for other reasons.

Well I mean as a expat for lack of a better term (I have my own development company and work from home for mostly US based clients) I am in a privilaged possition of having a income several orders of magnitude higher than the national median, so it's not like I'm experiencing living like a "true Romanian", even my wife (who's Romanian) comes from a comparetively well-off family with several fancy degrees. Most of the big cities (I live in Cluj-Napoca but also spend some time in Oradea (in-laws)) are fine and relatively western looking (with the exception of the huge communist "projects" at the outskirts/buroughs), some villages are a bit like the RE4 Type sure, I've been to villages with 2-300 people where they still didn't have electricity (outside of generators) or running water, and my wife has told me stories about visiting mountain communities as a kid where the old women would simply pee standing and whipe themselves with their thick skirts as they worked the fields, no one could read or write, and everyone smelled repulsive. And then of course there are the gypsy communities who often live in what can best be described as favela style scrapyard huts or they have their "castles" (they build massive ornamental houses with the money they get from working/begging/"other sources" in the west, usually nobody lives in these). Everything's mostly come a long way though, and if anyone ever gets a chance to visit I'd higly recommend it, as someone who loves to go hiking, and comes from another naturally stunning country I can swear to one thing; Romania is absolutely beutiful and a hidden gem of a country with a lot of incredible nature, culture, and cuisine.

It was a bit of a culture shock coming from Norway to here, in Norway everything is clean, modern and relatively efficent (goverment wise). Here there's delepadated buildings everywhere, trash litters the contryside, and the goverment and social systems are infected with bloat, inefficency and corruption. There are positives and negatives to both though, there are for example virtually no "woke" people here, even among the young and university educated, people concern themselves much more with real actuall problems than pretend offense and political correctness, and people are generally warmer and more welcoming here than in Norway (where we tend to be a bit cold and standoffish by comparison, and WAY more self absorbed).

Oh but to bring it back topic at hand, just some 30 or so years ago, there was a village close to where my wife is from that legitimately believed that a hermit-type figure who lived in the hills above their village was a werewolf, it was just a strange guy who had a fucked-up upbringing, but people in this village were so scared of him that he would just walk down the street and demand they give him things (alcohol, food, blankets, ect) in a very rude and not at all "begging" sort of way, and they would do it. They made a documentary of sorts about the urban legends surrounding him;
(subtitled).

Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinkning of mahybe doing a bicycle ride around south-eastern Europe once this whole covid thing is over, and Romania intrigued me.

BigBooper

Just the complete BS stuff. There's a 120~ year old country church near here with a witch supposedly buried in the graveyard. One person went and pissed on her grave and died the next day.

MilkyJoe

Who is "they"

Keihart

i've heard this one in many different locations, seems to be very common thing, i wonder what really makes it happen. (the car pushing not the shrieking, but maybe that is related)

I have multiple dreams, mostly 2 or 3, very vivid; waking up like you watched4a whole season on Netflix. But as I get older I'm starting to cherish those adventures.. <3
Oh, yes, it’s always so nice with dreams! I also used to have a lot more when I was younger. Nowadays I really find it fun when I remember a dream when I wake up :messenger_smiling:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I live in the South West of England, which probably is home to some of the most haunted and creepy places on earth.

There is a woodland area, very close to where I live and next to Castle Coombe called Parsonage Woods.

The place is supposedly very, very haunted. Legend has it, if you walk through the woods at night, you can hear whispering voices coming from the trees.

I've been there during the day and it's creepy then. Might take a trip there on Halloween and see what happens.

IMG_0557-Edit.jpg

Relativ9

Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinkning of mahybe doing a bicycle ride around south-eastern Europe once this whole covid thing is over, and Romania intrigued me.
It should be quite the experience to bicycle through, like I said, loads of absolutely amazing nature, and some of the most incredible stretches of road in all of europe (transfagarasan road), I've been wanting to do something similar eventually myself though perhaps on a smaller scale.

Tschumi

Cry baby hollar- a place on and old dirt road where a mom threw her baby off the bridge because she didn’t want it. If you drive by late at night you can hear the baby crying.
i want to go there just to very effectively conceal a bluetooth speaker and phone to actually play crying sounds

Err, OP, none really, I know when i lived in canberra as a bairn the bamboo forest next to my house at the end of our nice street had heaps of syringes and crusty discarded jeans.. one day they decided to break through our house for dope money and steal our VHS player with Titanic in it - my sister never forgave them...

... I think my 'hometown' in Japan, a place called Tajimi, apparently has national treasure fat deer things roaming the forests, but i never saw them...

when i lived in berlin, a friend used to live next to an abandoned soviet army base-turned-parkland, and we would bum around there for fun... one time we saw a dude in a trench coat walking across the plain but he seemed to disappear quite abruptly

we had a whale of a time collecting old ammunition box lids, we fantasized about having epic, operation flashpoint-themed bee-bee gun battles but never got the nerve up

one time in beijing i was walking home in the early morning and accidentally walked up a main road that was lined with incomplete shopping malls for a good 500m... i was feeling bullish (and possibly sexually triumphant) so i just walked right up the middle of it but someone started beating a chain against a wall and i, assuming it was gangland, quickened my pace ever so slightly

I live in the South West of England, which probably is home to some of the most haunted and creepy places on earth.

There is a woodland area, very close to where I live and next to Castle Coombe called Parsonage Woods.

The place is supposedly very, very haunted. Legend has it, if you walk through the woods at night, you can hear whispering voices coming from the trees.

I've been there during the day and it's creepy then. Might take a trip there on Halloween and see what happens.

IMG_0557-Edit.jpg
i wouldn't put it past the landed gentry to have hired capability brown or someone specifically to task them with making "an creepy castle by a moor" lol

Last edited:

IMG_0557-Edit.jpg
Sound so scary! And the picture is really haunting :messenger_fearful:

i want to go there just to very effectively conceal a bluetooth speaker and phone to actually play crying sounds

Err, OP, none really, I know when i lived in canberra as a bairn the bamboo forest next to my house at the end of our nice street had heaps of syringes and crusty discarded jeans.. one day they decided to break through our house for dope money and steal our VHS player with Titanic in it - my sister never forgave them...

... I think my 'hometown' in Japan, a place called Tajimi, apparently has national treasure fat deer things roaming the forests, but i never saw them...

when i lived in berlin, a friend used to live next to an abandoned soviet army base-turned-parkland, and we would bum around there for fun... one time we saw a dude in a trench coat walking across the plain but he seemed to disappear quite abruptly

we had a whale of a time collecting old ammunition box lids, we fantasized about having epic, operation flashpoint-themed bee-bee gun battles but never got the nerve up

one time in beijing i was walking home in the early morning and accidentally walked up a main road that was lined with incomplete shopping malls for a good 500m... i was feeling bullish (and possibly sexually triumphant) so i just walked right up the middle of it but someone started beating a chain against a wall and i, assuming it was gangland, quickened my pace ever so slightly

i wouldn't put it past the landed gentry to have hired capability brown or someone specifically to task them with making "an creepy castle by a moor" lol
Haha, so horrible with the speaker! 😂
You had some good story’s to tell! The one with the dude in trench coat was creepy :messenger_neutral:

Fret Runner

Not creepy but I remember laughing about this one as a kid. Spring-heeled Jack.

Quote from Wiki.
one of the most notable reports about Spring-heeled Jack came from a group of soldiers in Aldershot Garrison. This story went as follows: a sentry on duty at the North Camp peered into the darkness, his attention attracted by a peculiar figure "advancing towards him." The soldier issued a challenge, which went unheeded, and the figure came up beside him and delivered several slaps to his face. A guard shot at him, with no visible effect; some sources claim that the soldier may have fired blanks at him, others that he missed or fired warning shots. The strange figure then disappeared into the surrounding darkness "with astonishing bounds."

Top Bottom