• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any creepy Urban Legends in your area?

Stupid ones in San Antonio like this one were in the 70s . Legend says the man was an excellent dancer and wooed plenty of women that night. As the night wore on, one of the women looked down at the man’s feet and discovered his shoes had transformed into clawed chicken’s feet. Others says it was goat’s hooves. Either way, people said he was the devil. Attendees said he fled the scene to the bathroom, where he escaped through the window and left a cloud of smoke as well as a sulfuric smell.
donkey_lady_bridge_justin_moore.jpeg
el_camaroncito.jpg
The story goes something like this: In the 1950s, a young woman attempted to save her children from a house fire (that some say was lit by her sociopath husband) — but failed. The event left her horribly disfigured, with her fingers and toes melted together to create hoof-like nubs and her head warped into an elongated, donkey-like shape. She was promptly cast out of town and banished to live in the woods. Ever since, the Donkey Lady has roamed the woods of Bexar County, crying out for her children and generally pissed off. Want to meet her? It’s said if you stand on a stone bridge in the Medina River Greenway and call her name three times, she’ll appear.

Not creepy but I remember laughing about this one as a kid. Spring-heeled Jack.

Quote from Wiki.
one of the most notable reports about Spring-heeled Jack came from a group of soldiers in Aldershot Garrison. This story went as follows: a sentry on duty at the North Camp peered into the darkness, his attention attracted by a peculiar figure "advancing towards him." The soldier issued a challenge, which went unheeded, and the figure came up beside him and delivered several slaps to his face. A guard shot at him, with no visible effect; some sources claim that the soldier may have fired blanks at him, others that he missed or fired warning shots. The strange figure then disappeared into the surrounding darkness "with astonishing bounds."
Still kind of creepy but also funny, some slaps to the face 😂

Stupid ones in San Antonio like this one were in the 70s . Legend says the man was an excellent dancer and wooed plenty of women that night. As the night wore on, one of the women looked down at the man’s feet and discovered his shoes had transformed into clawed chicken’s feet. Others says it was goat’s hooves. Either way, people said he was the devil. Attendees said he fled the scene to the bathroom, where he escaped through the window and left a cloud of smoke as well as a sulfuric smell.
donkey_lady_bridge_justin_moore.jpeg
el_camaroncito.jpg
The story goes something like this: In the 1950s, a young woman attempted to save her children from a house fire (that some say was lit by her sociopath husband) — but failed. The event left her horribly disfigured, with her fingers and toes melted together to create hoof-like nubs and her head warped into an elongated, donkey-like shape. She was promptly cast out of town and banished to live in the woods. Ever since, the Donkey Lady has roamed the woods of Bexar County, crying out for her children and generally pissed off. Want to meet her? It’s said if you stand on a stone bridge in the Medina River Greenway and call her name three times, she’ll appear.
That’s some scary stuff :messenger_neutral:

Monokrom

This is a ghost train story. Locals called it the Silverpilen (Silver Arrow). In Swedens capital of Stockholm, legend says that passengers waiting on the platform may see a silver train slowly pull up. You must not get on. The train is heading to an abandoned station in the middle of the woods - its passengers are the souls of the dead. People who get on will never return. The legend is also connected to the abandoned Kymlinge metro station which is said to be a ghost station. Locals say only the dead get off at Kymlinge. Some even believe The Silver Train takes people to an underground station with no exit - it never returns to pick them up.
3084456037_0d266d0251.jpg

3084456033_683897d225.jpg

Monokrom

In ancient Swedish folklore, the Skogsrå are forest spirits. From the front they look like a beautiful woman but from the back they resemble a tree trunk. There stories of men who were entranced by these spirits without ever seeing their other form from the back. The Skogsrå wear the men down over days and weeks, draining them until they were helpless - playing on their temptations, fears and fantasies. If they manage to outsmart the spirit, the men will see their true form from behind and the Skogsrå will disappear forever. If they do not, they are carried off into the woods at their weakest, never to be seen again.
dc5fe0eca85505b3fa8ca9d32cbad865.jpg

In ancient Swedish folklore, the Skogsrå are forest spirits. From the front they look like a beautiful woman but from the back they resemble a tree trunk. There stories of men who were entranced by these spirits without ever seeing their other form from the back. The Skogsrå wear the men down over days and weeks, draining them until they were helpless - playing on their temptations, fears and fantasies. If they manage to outsmart the spirit, the men will see their true form from behind and the Skogsrå will disappear forever. If they do not, they are carried off into the woods at their weakest, never to be seen again.

airplane.jpg

Last edited:

Neolombax

Where I live, Malaysia, there's a ton of folklore. One is the Orang Minyak or translated as the Oily Man. Its supposedly a creature in the shape of a man, covered in black oil. This creature cannot be caught because it is slippery in nature and can go through any cracks or hole, and likes to kidnap women. I think I've also heard people being able to "employ" this creature via a shaman to kidnap or do harm to people.

Another is the Penaggalan. I've heard that this creature is also a folklore in Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines. Its basically a woman who practices black magic that can transform into this creature at night to harm people. At night, supposedly this woman will detach her head from the rest of its body to become a Penaggalan i.e. a floating head with entrails attached to it, flying around at night to find its victims.

This is a ghost train story. Locals called it the Silverpilen (Silver Arrow). In Swedens capital of Stockholm, legend says that passengers waiting on the platform may see a silver train slowly pull up. You must not get on. The train is heading to an abandoned station in the middle of the woods - its passengers are the souls of the dead. People who get on will never return. The legend is also connected to the abandoned Kymlinge metro station which is said to be a ghost station. Locals say only the dead get off at Kymlinge. Some even believe The Silver Train takes people to an underground station with no exit - it never returns to pick them up.

3084456033_683897d225.jpg
I've heard about this and find it very intresting. But its scary and gives me shivers..

That's so spooky and intesting! I love being in the woods, but the woods can be soo scary :messenger_neutral:

Where I live, Malaysia, there's a ton of folklore. One is the Orang Minyak or translated as the Oily Man. Its supposedly a creature in the shape of a man, covered in black oil. This creature cannot be caught because it is slippery in nature and can go through any cracks or hole, and likes to kidnap women. I think I've also heard people being able to "employ" this creature via a shaman to kidnap or do harm to people.

Another is the Penaggalan. I've heard that this creature is also a folklore in Thailand, Indonesia and the Philippines. Its basically a woman who practices black magic that can transform into this creature at night to harm people. At night, supposedly this woman will detach her head from the rest of its body to become a Penaggalan i.e. a floating head with entrails attached to it, flying around at night to find its victims.
Love hearing about folklore and this two sound so intresting! Also very creepy!

Peggies

Gold Member
Well, I wouldn't call it an urban legend, but we have the tradition of "Krampus" visiting naughty children and beating them with his birch. He comes at night of the 5th december, one day before St. Nick.

kusE1nL.jpg

Well, I wouldn't call it an urban legend, but we have the tradition of "Krampus" visiting naughty children and beating them with his birch. He comes at night of the 5th december, one day before St. Nick.

kusE1nL.jpg
Heard about this when I was young! I always thought he looked soo creepy :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Relativ9

Actually had to do research on this recently, very fascinating. Very closely related of the Philippines legend of the Manananggal, except in that case it's th whole torso that separates from the legs, she grows wings, and the intestines dangle below.

CEZMy3O.jpg

Last edited:

GymWolf

Many, but one of the most famous is that, supposedly, an entire schoolclass got lost and died during a school trip in the old city behind the new city, they just didn't finded a way out.

cover_catania.jpg

Just a bit of context, my city was complete fucked by both an earthquake and a lavic eruption in 1669 and 1693, what you see in the pic are the rest of the old city.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
There’s a bridge next to a high school I used to go to. A girl commited suicide by bridge. If you walk on the bridge with headphones you can hear her voice when passing the bridge.

Neolombax

Many, but one of the most famous is that, supposedly, an entire schoolclass got lost and died during a school trip in the old city behind the new city, they just didn't finded a way out.

cover_catania.jpg

Just a bit of context, my city was complete fucked by both an earthquake and a lavic eruption in 1669 and 1693, what you see in the pic are the rest of the old city.
This s really fascinating to me. Where is this?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
1LWsS2t.jpg

Reminds me of Keats’s La belle dame sans merci.

GymWolf

That's a nasty looking asshole right there.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
In my hometown of NeoGAF, we have a folk tale about an evil man named Jim Ryan absolutely destroying a beloved company, cherish by all its citizens. We have others about evil men named Phil Spencer and Doug Bowser too, but those are tales for another day.
Ask me sometime about our folk hero, Lord Gaben and his machines that run on Steam power!

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The screaming mi-mi (mee-mee) in Central Illinois during the 1940's-70's. This lore comes from an explainable source but here's the legend:

If you walk near the wooded areas in the night, you can hear the voice of a phantom woman screaming from unknown origin. Pretty simple...

Roots/origin of story: Illinois had (and may still have wild mountain lions) roaming the wooded areas around Central Illinois. Parents feared their children would explore timber lines close to home and get attacked. Therefore, the legend of screaming mi-mi was fabricated to keep kids scared of encountering the phantom. The scream could actually be heard but those were the seldom heard cries of mountain lions which slightly resemble the sound of a screaming lady. I've heard other legends with the same name. However, folklore has always been told as a form of entertainment to evoke the imagination, creative-side of the brain, or fear.

McCheese

A couple for you from Bristol in the UK.

We have the "bristol hum" which is where a number of people claim they can hear a constant, low humming sound when they are in the city, which goes when they leave. Some people claim they always hear it, other people say it comes and goes, but most people don't hear anything. The council looked into it and found no evidence but it keeps on being a thing.

Second is the story of Bristol Zoo, or more specifically the car park for it which is located over a large field. There was an attendant from the council who managed the parking - you paid him £1 when you arrived and you got a ticket, and pointed to a parking space, he turned up everyday with his high vis jacket for 10 or so years, never taking a day off sick.

Then one day he just stopped turning up which was out of character, and the car park goes to chaos - so the Zoo phone the council to ask whats going on and when are they getting a replacement sent out, the councils response was "what parking attendant?!"

But the weirder part is it's been like 10-20 years now since that story, and nobody can even find evidence there ever was one, some people swear blind it's a true story and they remember paying him, but others say it's a made up story, snopes said it's a lie but I've met a bunch of old folk who say they remember him.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Not really creepy, but my town had a legend that there was a neighborhood hidden behind a golf course that was made for short people. We called it Midget Town.

Supposedly it was created for the cast of Wozard of Oz back in the day. The road where it's said to exist is gated though.

Majmun

Not really an urban legend. But an old lady living nearby died a few weeks ago. People said she was constantly asking for help a few days before her death. Supposedly the old lady said something is chasing her and wants her dead. And then she died.

Kinda creeped me out.

T
Actually had to do research on this recently, very fascinating. Very closely related of the Philippines legend of the Manananggal, except in that case it's th whole torso that separates from the legs, she grows wings, and the intestines dangle below.

CEZMy3O.jpg
Thats horrifying :messenger_neutral:

cover_catania.jpg

So scary and i find things like this so fascinating!

The screaming mi-mi (mee-mee) in Central Illinois during the 1940's-70's. This lore comes from an explainable source but here's the legend:

If you walk near the wooded areas in the night, you can hear the voice of a phantom woman screaming from unknown origin. Pretty simple...

Roots/origin of story: Illinois had (and may still have wild mountain lions) roaming the wooded areas around Central Illinois. Parents feared their children would explore timber lines close to home and get attacked. Therefore, the legend of screaming mi-mi was fabricated to keep kids scared of encountering the phantom. The scream could actually be heard but those were the seldom heard cries of mountain lions which slightly resemble the sound of a screaming lady. I've heard other legends with the same name. However, folklore has always been told as a form of entertainment to evoke the imagination, creative-side of the brain, or fear.
Haunted woods are just a big no thank you.. :messenger_grinning_sweat: so brilliant of the perents sense the mountain lions could do the scary noises

A couple for you from Bristol in the UK.

We have the "bristol hum" which is where a number of people claim they can hear a constant, low humming sound when they are in the city, which goes when they leave. Some people claim they always hear it, other people say it comes and goes, but most people don't hear anything. The council looked into it and found no evidence but it keeps on being a thing.

Second is the story of Bristol Zoo, or more specifically the car park for it which is located over a large field. There was an attendant from the council who managed the parking - you paid him £1 when you arrived and you got a ticket, and pointed to a parking space, he turned up everyday with his high vis jacket for 10 or so years, never taking a day off sick.

Then one day he just stopped turning up which was out of character, and the car park goes to chaos - so the Zoo phone the council to ask whats going on and when are they getting a replacement sent out, the councils response was "what parking attendant?!"

But the weirder part is it's been like 10-20 years now since that story, and nobody can even find evidence there ever was one, some people swear blind it's a true story and they remember paying him, but others say it's a made up story, snopes said it's a lie but I've met a bunch of old folk who say they remember him.
Thank you for this amaizing and creepy legends! The one about the parking attendant gave me chills, very creepy

Top Bottom