• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any DnB fans on neogaf?

INC

We're a dying breed, since everyone into shit like BTS, and shitty drill music

Any decent ravers left in the world, or am I rocking glow sticks on my own again?

If you are a fan, what style? Drum step, liquid, jump up, neuro (the thinking mans DnB tbh)

No doubt this'll be bottom the page in like 20mins lol

September 2022 mix

Listen to NeoGaf september mix by INC on #SoundCloud

October 2022 mix

Listen to NeoGaf October mix by INC on #SoundCloud

Last edited:
I'm a dnb fan on special k

But seriously, check out Shock One

Luke Pendulum, also from my hometown of Perth. Fairly similar sound

Last edited:
Yes, very much so. When we lived in the UK we would go to dnb gigs every weekend, now im reduced to listening while i work...or when a good guy chases a bad guy and they parkour around the place

Ah an intellectual/jazzy dnb fan

Not always ben the biggest fan of that style, but always sounded decent in the chill out '2nd room' at a night club
Usually the venues I went to played a lot darker stuff. Felt like there was just that SNARE hammering all night long with some alternating bass lines going along with that (plus some short vocals ), and I loved it.

For listening at home I just prefer that jazzy stuff.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I never go out of my way to listen to anything these days, but I still love a bit of DnB when I hear it. The rave/jump up stuff isn't quite what I go for, but it has its place (and that place is in a rave). I prefer liquid, the chilled out summer's day stuff and the stuff closer to the Jungle end of the timeline. Definitely not the modern Dubstep from post #6 though, I was done with that a long time ago

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I listen to a Liquid DnB from time to time. Some of my favorites:

And maybe if you don't play just on Playstation trololool:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Used to like old D&B back in the day, jump up jungle and liquid stuff, but was always more into house and breakbeats. Still, I'm bummed the direction D&B has taken (and electronic music in general). I hate EDM and trap and so much of the other "pop" stuff that came after.

INC

Used to like old D&B back in the day, jump up jungle and liquid stuff, but was always more into house and breakbeats. Still, I'm bummed the direction D&B has taken (and electronic music in general). I hate EDM and trap and so much of the other "pop" stuff that came after.

Check out calyx and teepee, noisia, spor etc, super complex bass work, if you appreciate production and sound design.

Jungle is my least favourite part of DnB, but thats because I grew up with it, just as hardcore started to transcend to jungle and split genres, there's only so many times I can hear an amen break.

Still has its place, but I couldn't do a whole night of pure jungle

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Still has its place, but I couldn't do a whole night of pure jungle

Fair enough. Neither jungle or D&B were really my thing. I didn't mind wandering into the back room with a D&B DJ for a bit at a rave or something but couldn't do an entire lineup of the stuff. I think the one time I hung for an entire set was when Dieselboy was on the main stage. But the culture clash between house heads and D&B kids was a bit too much, so it wasn't just the music that didn't catch me like some other genres.

That said, I did buy all my friend's D&B vinyl when he decided to give up DJing, so I do have a small collection of prime cuts from the mid-late 90s into the early 2000s.

What do you think of MCs? I liked them in moderation, but hated when the entire show was about them. Let the music speak for itself, guys!

The one exception to my getting tired of D&B/jungle was Aphrodite's Aftershock. As somebody that prefers DJ Mixes to studio albums, this is the one that broke the rule. I loved it trippin' to it or punching the seats in my car when I used to have a killer system.

INC

Fair enough. Neither jungle or D&B were really my thing. I didn't mind wandering into the back room with a D&B DJ for a bit at a rave or something but couldn't do an entire lineup of the stuff. I think the one time I hung for an entire set was when Dieselboy was on the main stage. But the culture clash between house heads and D&B kids was a bit too much, so it wasn't just the music that didn't catch me like some other genres.

That said, I did buy all my friend's D&B vinyl when he decided to give up DJing, so I do have a small collection of prime cuts from the mid-late 90s into the early 2000s.

What do you think of MCs? I liked them in moderation, but hated when the entire show was about them. Let the music speak for itself, guys!

The one exception to my getting tired of D&B/jungle was Aphrodite's Aftershock. As somebody that prefers DJ Mixes to studio albums, this is the one that broke the rule. I loved it trippin' to it or punching the seats in my car when I used to have a killer system.

Thats my biggest issue with the old UK DnB scene, was grimey, full of coked up rude boys, with pure attitude, I think it was down to the MC culture that took over DnB scene. Why I stopped going, got into hard dance and DJ'd that for years, the 2 scene didn't mix at all, coked up rude boys, mixing with pilled up, loved up house scene........

Once pendulum came out the scene started to split again, for the better, MC were more of just hype men, not chatting shit non stop over jump up. Pendulum Brought in the big synth style DnB, far more dance/house influences, making the split more accessible.

Jungle is still massive in the UK, that crowd is decent as well, since its an older crowd 30-40+, who grew up with that.

Pejo

This is kinda fortuitous, I was just thinking of finding/making a thread to get DnB recommendations in the past few days after listening to this song:

(is this even considered DnB or am I way off? I'll be honest I like a lot of EDM, but I know very little about genres and subgenres)

INC

This is kinda fortuitous, I was just thinking of finding/making a thread to get DnB recommendations in the past few days after listening to this song:

(is this even considered DnB or am I way off? I'll be honest I like a lot of EDM, but I know very little about genres and subgenres)

Yeh thats DnB

Its just very Japanese DnB, its got neuro influences through it tho, filtered big reeses.

Endokin

Neo Member
Huge DnB fan!! My first rave was originally to see the legendary happy hardcore dj Anabolic Frolic, only to be blown away the whole night by Nicky Blackmarket w/ MC Skibba & Shabba. Anyways, not much Jungle for me nowadays, mostly liquid and some neuro. Calibre my fav, the don himself.👍👍

Last edited:
I like dnb and went to a nice amount of parties (though not as many as psytrance parties).

But what I cannot stand is singing in dnb.

Will try some of the recommendations here.

INC

This mix by Doc Scott is pretty amazing been jamming to lately^^

Pointless fact, I sort of know doc Scott, use to play cod 4 with him alot back in the day. Knew few of them, John b playing cod etc etc, all from dogsonacid.com

Endokin

Neo Member
Pointless fact, I sort of know doc Scott, use to play cod 4 with him alot back in the day. Knew few of them, John b playing cod etc etc, all from dogsonacid.com
Oh wow! Haha can't imagine playing some COD with them. John b is quite the character haha, I frequent that forum occasionally tho, for news etc. You from the UK then? You mentioned DJing long time ago. It's my dream to hit up some shows over there once things go back to normal, sucks being a dnb fan over here lol.

INC

Oh wow! Haha can't imagine playing some COD with them. John b is quite the character haha, I frequent that forum occasionally tho, for news etc. You from the UK then? You mentioned DJing long time ago. It's my dream to hit up some shows over there once things go back to normal, sucks being a dnb fan over here lol.

Yes dude

Dogsonacid isn't what it use to be, when owned by DJ Fresh, it was a 4chan lite almost (must be like 12 years ago)

Some ofthe shit John b use to post up, that dude got mad pussy, he's quite quiet on coms tho, pretty chill

Spor is in top 3 neuro producers easily!

You should check out their old podcasters, on his old lable (before it merged with RAM records)

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
No clue what category it gets pigeonholed into but my friend turned me onto LTJ Bukem's Progressive Sessions series.

QSD

spor jazzy? hmmm not sure id agree

and yeh ragga jungle is proper old skool

LOL no man I was joking, I was blown 4 feet back from my desk after clicking the lower one.

anyway just about forgot about this General Levy tune, where he makes "shape of you" into an excuse to talk about the chicks in the gym he goes to:

INC

LOL no man I was joking, I was blown 4 feet back from my desk after clicking the lower one.

anyway just about forgot about this General Levy tune, where he makes "shape of you" into an excuse to talk about the chicks in the gym he goes to:

Only positive vibes from the generaaal

Old Retro

2012-13 were the last good years of drum & bass for me...

Are these dark enough for ya?!?

All junglist massive! :ROFLMAO:

• Strength
Reactions: INC

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Surface level. Used to like a lot of stuff that come through UKF as a teen, recently got into some of the newer stuff as good programming music.

Some of the live B2B sets they put up are great.

• Strength
Reactions: INC

Nymphae

Banned
Yes I love DnB, I like melodic, liquid styles, but just about anything with a nice dnb beat is great to me.

Top Bottom