• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any DnB fans on neogaf?

Nymphae

Banned
In high school some buddies of mine used to make their own jungle tapes and most of it was heavy MC stuff which I don't really love, I'm all about the melodies and beats, but they had this one song that was just beats over a sample of the Predator theme song that was fucking badass

edbrat

Some really good stuff in this thread you've expanded my playlists so thanks for that. I'm rubbish at keeping up with it all but some stuff I've loved:

Loadstar, Berlin

Old skool, Mickey Finn and Aphrodite - Badass

Love Aphrodite remixes, True Blue

You see a party with Ed Rush and Optical involved, you get in there quick

INC

So this is the music they put in all the car racing games. Didn’t know the name of it

Not only racing games, Noisia (probably the pinnacle of sound design and production in DnB and other genre's), did the entire DmC soundtrack

Playlist on YouTube

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
This is the only type of music that almost without fail pumps me the fuck up, I listen to it whenever I want to kick ass or focus intently on work. I've been listening to it while playing CoD lately, keeps me movin' and groovin'

Last night I was listening to some random YT liquid DnB mix, and I was imagining all these sweet guitar solos over the music, are there any artists making stuff like that?

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Sure. There's a guy who streams Everquest on Twitch I used to watch because he always listened to drum and bass while streaming. I miss that music and lament that it's being supplanted by music for crackheads.

Jon Canon

this mix got me hooked on neuro back in 2007.
Still awesome!

and mind the gap, watch out for the drop etc:

Last edited:
I tend to avoid the jungle/garage/grime side of DnB and more to the electronic upbeat stuff.

Stuff like Etherwood, Fred V, Metrik, Ownglow, Keeno etc

London Electricity - Just One Second [Apex Remix]

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
We're a dying breed, since everyone into shit like BTS, and shitty drill music

Any decent ravers left in the world, or am I rocking glow sticks on my own again?

If you are a fan, what style? Drum step, liquid, jump up, neuro (the thinking mans DnB tbh)

No doubt this'll be bottom the page in like 20mins lol

Its dead like Rock Music

Going to local DnB raves in the early 2000's was one of my favourite eras during my lifetime so far, oh how I miss those days.

The dark, hard and moody sub-genres are the ones I come back to the most over the years.

Edit: Forgot to post a quick story.
Back around 2007, I was at an illegal rave being held by some friends at a location called The Bawsey Sandpits, which is just sand, tress and a tiny lake in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Norfolk, England. I really do mean it's just nothing in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, after dancing by the speakers for a while and watching some hippy handing out bags full of pills to people, tookmy interest in sound systems and decided to go and speak to the DJ and check out the equipment they were using. He was bald, looking down while mixing but very friendly and willing to chat, he also looked incredibly familiar.

It was once he looked up after sorting out the next track that I had a real "No fucking way" moment; it was Right Said Fred DJing the illegal rave, hard Dnb like above, in a dirt pit. What a night that was.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Grimes of all people got me interested in the genre again. 4AMv has been my jam since it leaked all the way back in October 2019

notseqi

I'm not too deep into it but there was a remote congress I 'attended' that had a DJ playing DnB in the lounge afterhours, which coupled with the following outro from one of my favourite streamers renewed my interest.
Track is not complete yet and might be released at some point:

John B Beta at the rc3 lounge:

Always up for that old Baptazia-shit:

johntown

Banned
I liked it back in day for sure. It's hard to find good DNB nowadays but I think this thread is a good start. A while back on Twitch front page Insomniac had a pretty good DNB crew going but I forget their name. I think they were UK based.

Here's a video to add to this thread as well.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

d8i03e-144a4f0b-830f-47fb-aa72-15ef52bbcd64.jpg

INC

This has such a weird intro, before dropping into a twisted old skool vide track. Not sure where I sit with this one

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

We're a dying breed, since everyone into shit like BTS, and shitty drill music

Any decent ravers left in the world, or am I rocking glow sticks on my own again?

If you are a fan, what style? Drum step, liquid, jump up, neuro (the thinking mans DnB tbh)

No doubt this'll be bottom the page in like 20mins lol
Dnb is definitely not a dying breed, not sure where you are from but it’s popular in the UK

INC

I produce electronic music, sometimes there's a drum & bass influence but it isn't my focus. This track for example starts out a bit loungey but ends in D & B territory

Reminds me of experimental 70's acid music. What DAW you use?

Last edited:

INC

LOL yeah most of our stuff (I make this with a friend) is psychedelia influenced. I use Reason mostly.

I used reason for a bit, I mainly used cubase for years (hence the name in-cubase), but moved over to FL a few years ago, just because the routing is so easy. Only protools and ableton I've not really bothered with, used every other daw

Heres a demo on my latest tune, its about 75% done, the structure and everything is done, just the mid break and intro to do really. But you get the idea

QSD

I used reason for a bit, I mainly used cubase for years (hence the name in-cubase), but moved over to FL a few years ago, just because the routing is so easy. Only protools and ableton I've not really bothered with, used every other daw

Heres a demo on my latest tune, its about 75% done, the structure and everything is done, just the mid break and intro to do really. But you get the idea

Reminds me of my most recent dentist appointment, dude talking @ me while the drill does its thing :messenger_grimmacing_

Jokes aside though, sounds great. Excellent production and drum programming. Do you use drum synthesizers or samples for the beat?

I used to work with cubase + reason together (which was a whole lot of hassle) when reason was still a closed-off system, but these days it does audio and vst as well so there is no need.

What do you use to make that video with the frequency bars? I've been looking into doing something like that but most recommended is adobe after effects which is a subscription thing these days...

INC

Reminds me of my most recent dentist appointment, dude talking @ me while the drill does its thing :messenger_grimmacing_

Jokes aside though, sounds great. Excellent production and drum programming. Do you use drum synthesizers or samples for the beat?

I used to work with cubase + reason together (which was a whole lot of hassle) when reason was still a closed-off system, but these days it does audio and vst as well so there is no need.

What do you use to make that video with the frequency bars? I've been looking into doing something like that but most recommended is adobe after effects which is a subscription thing these days...

Ha yeh I get ya meaning, its the nature of that style, tried to keep the high end bass to a minimum, it was meant to be a meme jump up tune, but turned out sounding legit, way it goes sometimes I guess

I get its not everyone's cup tea, I dont even like jump really lol

Both for drums, synth drums, i use synth drums for the main transient, so its basically a click, so it cuts through the mix and makes sidechaining easier

I use a free online one to make the video, not at pc, but link whe home

Last edited:

Paasei

I only ever knew and listened to Pendulum, The Prodigy and Netsky (not sure anymore if this is DnB).

INC

I only ever knew and listened to Pendulum, The Prodigy and Netsky (not sure anymore if this is DnB).

Pendulum 100%, prodigy not so much, but the sounds and techniques are the same, so they go hand in hand, prodigy influenced DnB artist alot, u ask most dnb artist they'll all say prodigy was a man influence

Bartski

Gold Member
Sounds great man, why did you stop producing?
I still make tunes but it's way more about working on other people's music than my own, helping others out, sometimes ghostwriting, all kinds of genres. There is 10x more music on this SC, all hidden/prv.
It's a long and complicated story, nightlife nearly got me killed before I managed to leave it all behind getting sober years ago and dnb is my heavy trigger.
Hope to return one day when I'm ready, I don't miss clubs but I miss the creativity they motivated.

Last edited:

QSD

I still make tunes but it's way more about working on other people's music than my own, helping others out, sometimes ghostwriting, all kinds of genres. There is 10x more music on this SC, all hidden/prv.
It's a long and complicated story, nightlife nearly got me killed before I managed to leave it all behind getting sober years ago and dnb is my heavy trigger.
Hope to return one day when I'm ready, I don't miss clubs but I miss the creativity they motivated.
That's a big story man, massive respect & hats off for getting sober. Nightlife can be awesome but also brutal. I really hope you can find a way back to your 'full creativity' without the substances, but it's already pretty great that you're helping others, it sounds like you're already well on your way.
I did a fair bit of DJ'ing when I was a student but was never popular enough for it to become a lifestyle for me, it's always been a side gig, likewise with my current sound design ventures. I kind of like it that way, as having a 'day job' keeps me grounded (in many ways).

Ha yeh I get ya meaning, its the nature of that style, tried to keep the high end bass to a minimum, it was meant to be a meme jump up tune, but turned out sounding legit, way it goes sometimes I guess

I get its not everyone's cup tea, I dont even like jump really lol
LOL I meant no disparaging with my dentist remark, a lot of D&B reminds me of futuristic industrial processes in sterile environments (that's kinda what's awesome about it)
Both for drums, synth drums, i use synth drums for the main transient, so its basically a click, so it cuts through the mix and makes sidechaining easier

I use a free online one to make the video, not at pc, but link whe home
Interesting approach... do you sidechain the whole beat/loop or just the kick? I''ll sometimes do something similar with reason's Dr Rex device, that loads sample loops but also outputs a per-slice gate signal so I can use the loop's rhythm to drive a synth.

btw I'm always open for a collab or remix or something, if you want to know what your track would sound like as a 70ies acid rock opera

INC

That's a big story man, massive respect & hats off for getting sober. Nightlife can be awesome but also brutal. I really hope you can find a way back to your 'full creativity' without the substances, but it's already pretty great that you're helping others, it sounds like you're already well on your way.
I did a fair bit of DJ'ing when I was a student but was never popular enough for it to become a lifestyle for me, it's always been a side gig, likewise with my current sound design ventures. I kind of like it that way, as having a 'day job' keeps me grounded (in many ways).

LOL I meant no disparaging with my dentist remark, a lot of D&B reminds me of futuristic industrial processes in sterile environments (that's kinda what's awesome about it)

Interesting approach... do you sidechain the whole beat/loop or just the kick? I''ll sometimes do something similar with reason's Dr Rex device, that loads sample loops but also outputs a per-slice gate signal so I can use the loop's rhythm to drive a synth.

btw I'm always open for a collab or remix or something, if you want to know what your track would sound like as a 70ies acid rock opera

i know dude, jump up is a horrific stlye of DnB, and this uses some elements of that. and yeh most modern electronica sounds like a robot being thrown down some stairs

really depends on the tune with sidechain

most of the time its just the kick doing the heavy sidechaining, snare doesnt really need an aggressive sidechain, since theres not much low end to a snare, but it can help with overall mix, so i may sidechain that at like half the intensive of the kick sidechain. i use shaperbox to side chain tho, and you can have that set to 3 bands low/mid/high, so low is fully ducking, mid is half that, and highs are half that again, that way you still keep the overall sound your ducking, but still ducking aggressive, but you dont really hear it, not like a blank cut of audio.

main reason i use a synth kick/click, is the transient is small, DnB is fast, so you need a quick sidechain trigger, a big fabby kick controlling sidechain, can be too long. its trial and error, 9/10 it works tho, you can even use whitenoise to sidechain, since its just a block of sound

haha im always open to hear other peoples work, i can appreciate music from a production PoV regardless of genre

Last edited:

QSD

i know dude, jump up is a horrific stlye of DnB, and this uses some elements of that. and yeh most modern electronica sounds like a robot being thrown down some stairs

So are you more of a jazzy/liquid type d&b man then?
really depends on the tune with sidechain

most of the time its just the kick doing the heavy sidechaining, snare doesnt really need an aggressive sidechain, since theres not much low end to a snare, but it can help with overall mix, so i may sidechain that at like half the intensive of the kick sidechain. i use shaperbox to side chain tho, and you can have that set to 3 bands low/mid/high, so low is fully ducking, mid is half that, and highs are half that again, that way you still keep the overall sound your ducking, but still ducking aggressive, but you dont really hear it, not like a blank cut of audio.

main reason i use a synth kick/click, is the transient is small, DnB is fast, so you need a quick sidechain trigger, a big fabby kick controlling sidechain, can be too long. its trial and error, 9/10 it works tho, you can even use whitenoise to sidechain, since its just a block of sound

yeah so this is something I do "DIY" in reason. I avoid using actual audio to sidechain, I just let the kick synth output a fast CV envelope that I invert and wire to the relevant mixer channels. Sometimes I'll wire to an EQ to duck a specific frequency.

haha im always open to hear other peoples work, i can appreciate music from a production PoV regardless of genre
well, here's a tune we did that might appeal to visitors to this thread, it's slower but still has a lot of parts that are breakbeat/bass music oriented

Top Bottom