• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any expats on Gaf? Post your experiences and tips!

bati

I recently moved countries for work (had the offer before I moved), but was somewhat lucky in this regard because I went from one EU country to another. Whole immigration process has been relatively painless and I was able to secure an apartment and bank account with my ID alone - so yeah, thanks EU officials for the free market lol.

Even though I don't speak the language I'm fortunate enough that a lot of people here (pretty much everyone 35 and below) speak passable/good english (I'm not a native speaker either) so buying things is generally a very painless affair. Food is great, mostly meat focused, cost of living here is lower than back home so I can afford luxuries without looking at every cent, and the shops are well stocked, the only issue is that I have to whip out my phone and check google translate for items I'm not familiar with - took me a week before I picked up this habit because at that point I've been buying a yogurt for 5 days straight and was never sure if I'm looking at yogurt or milk lol.

Unfortunately I got into the city in October and since it has a lot of universities most of the apartments were rented by students before I got here, but I think I lucked out in the end and secured a nice place that's about 15 min walk from work, 20 meters (I shit you not) to the nearest grocery store, 300m to a supermarket, 70m to a bus station, 100m to first gym, 150m to the second gym, 400m to an Italian restaurant, 350m to a hairdresser. Basically jackpot as far as location goes.

Public transport seems a little unreliable, the buses on my route seem to drive every 20-30 minutes, but their schedules goes +-10 minutes which can be a little rough if you're in a hurry to get to work. I had to walk once already because of it. People here are super chill, city is very similar to the one I moved from but has a few nice quirks of its own. Work is great, I work in an international team and people are super nice, not much to say about that really. I'm honestly a little amazed at how fast I managed to acclimate myself, first two days I was pretty homesick, partly because I miss my mom's dog a lot (might seem minor, but he means a lot to me) but now I feel like a fish in the water.

If I could give one tip to my past self it would be to ignore the public transport routes on google maps - I've done research before I moved here and severely limited the areas for apartment searching because of it - only to find out once I moved here that the routes don't take nearly as long and that some of the lines on google maps were flat out wrong. Always look for local route planners and factor that data in your plans, not google's.

tldr - amazing experience so far.

Typhares

It would be interesting to know which country you came from and to for more context :)

I moved to Scotland from France when I was about to turn 20 to study for one year. I liked it there very much and met someone so I studied for a couple more years.
Ended up moving down to England for a job opportunity and even though that relationship didn't last I never thought about going back to France.
Lived in London for 2 years as well but I am actually not a big fan, I prefer the quieter place.
I am 31 now so after more than a decade the UK feels like home; I bought a property last year, got engaged this year. Not going anywhere :p

Anyone thinking about coming to the UK I would say if you come to London you will find people from all over so even if you don't speak english you should get by (but make some effort to learn, I have seen some expat staying with people from their origin country never learning). Outside of London it will be a lot trickier especially since I have yet to meet an actual brit speaking a foreign language. They just don't give a fuck since they know english.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Moved from the US to the Balkans two years ago. Everything is great, except for the fucking paperwork. It's almost so bad it's making me want to leave.

bati

Moved from the US to the Balkans two years ago. Everything is great, except for the fucking paperwork. It's almost so bad it's making me want to leave.

Which country? Is it part of the EU? Although I imagine it's worse for non-EU citizens either way, as far as bureaucracy goes. Have you had the chance to learn the language yet? I've heard from native English speakers that they find slavic languages very hard to learn.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Which country? Is it part of the EU? Although I imagine it's worse for non-EU citizens either way, as far as bureaucracy goes. Have you had the chance to learn the language yet? I've heard from native English speakers that they find slavic languages very hard to learn.

Bosnia, non-EU. If it was Croatia I know it would be easier. I was born here but spent over 20 years in the US, basically grew up there, I know the language, not well, but enough. My wife moved with me, she's from the US, and yes, the language is ridiculously hard.

Typhares

Everything is hard to learn for native english speakers haha A lot of sounds are not in the english language too making it to tough for pronunciation.
My fiancee is actually albanian and grew up in Greece, I am picking up a little bit of albanian but it is tough even for me knowing english, french, italian and spanish. It's so far from latin base I know.

bati

Everything is hard to learn for native english speakers haha A lot of sounds are not in the english language too making it to tough for pronunciation.
My fiancee is actually albanian and grew up in Greece, I am picking up a little bit of albanian but it is tough even for me knowing english, french, italian and spanish. It's so far from latin base I know.

You'd probably have an easy time with Romanian then . To me it sounds like a mix of Latin and Italian, with a few Slavic and French words mixed in. The worst part is that a lot of signs and stickers (in the market etc) omit their special characters and for example write 's' instead of 'ș' and when I input the written word to google translate I don't get any translations. Then I have to work backwards and guess what the item is in English and then confirm with reverse translation.

jonnyp

Lived in Holland, Sweden, Norway, Scotland, Germany, Malaysia and South Korea. First 3 months is always hard but once you get just 1 friend everything is peachy. Korea is the country outside of my native country (Norway) I've lived in the longest, on and off for 5 years now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Moved from the U.K. to France but I still work in London. So I fly back a few times a month (easyjet/Ryan air)

I am slowly learning french lol slowly I love France and I love the U.K.

Sleepydays

Banned
Moved from Scotland to the USA six years ago and am now a full citizen. By and large I love it and my standard of living has improved massively, but I'm not crazy about the particular area I live in. There was an initial element of culture-shock, which caught me a little off-guard. In more rural areas people have literally no idea what I'm saying, even though I am petty well-spoken and don't have a crazy accent.

Sannakji

Banned
Visit banks etc. before leaving and make sure internet banking is set up, with a current phone number, and revert your address to your home address. Speaking from a lot of painful experience.

Top Bottom