• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any fans of Succession here?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This show has gotten so much praise, and I just have been unable to get into it. I'm on episode 7 of season 1 and I think it's well acted and all, but I don't find it compelling. I don't care about any of the characters. I don't find it funny at all. I don't find it tense or thrilling. So many people have told me to stick with it though. Should I continue to power through or is this what the show is throughout all 3 seasons?

And I love dark comedies, but so far this hasn't felt like one at all to me. People have told me that the dark comedy nature of the show is what makes it so great, but I haven't gotten that sense from it yet. Maybe it hits that groove in future episodes.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's excellent. It's also unremittingly bleak and dour. I wouldn't say it's a black comedy, more a character study with some humor found along the way. There is no-one to root for, they are all massive assholes, Gregg is the closest but he is just a weak willed asshole not actually a good guy. It's kinda Always Sunny but without the deliberate jokes and they are all super rich and powerful to the point of being completely alien to the viewer.

Jennings

I'm wrapping up Banshee (6/10) on HBO Max and have just started Succession. I'm 1.5 episodes into the series and oh my god this is such a hard show to watch. I just hate these people. Unlike in Game of Thrones where I just love to hate the characters, in Succession I just fucking hate them. Every one of them. Every moment they're on screen I hate them more. I even hate their enemies and their victims. I'm finding it difficult to watch the show because the performances and the writing are just too good, too real to life. It's just rubbing the 1% in my face in a way where I'm getting no pleasure from seeing them squirm.

Wonderful production, acting, writing across the board. Loathsome experience.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’s an excellent series. Brilliantly written and acted. Top notch all round.

Get through the first six episodes and you’ll be hooked. Just like Sunny, you have to accept everyone is a cunt.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Started this earlier this week, I'm on episode 5 of season 1.

Having a good time with it. It's very depressing overall, but since pretty much every character sucks I have no stakes and barely any emotional investment in any character so I don't really mind all the bad/dumb shit that happens to everyone constantly. It's kinda amazing how everyone is both an asshole and somewhat likeable at the same time.

The show moves super fast so it keeps things fresh, almost never a dull moment. But yet still is able to give every character enough room to breathe, which is quite remarkable.

That Tom though.. The king of cringe, holy shit.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I watched all of it recently and loved it.

Episode 6 was the
vote of no confidence
one right? To be honest, if it's not got you by this point then maybe it's just not for you. Personally, it had me from the first episode. I think the show gets better as it goes on but not in a "you've got to get past X" sense where the show hadn't found its footing at the beginning. It's only ten episodes in the season so you could always stick it out and see if it connects with you by the end of that.

Jennings

I don't hate the show. I think it's great, but the characters just push my buttons because I hate them. They are portrayed perfectly, but unlike other hateable characters in other shows, at the moment I don't love hating them. I just hate them. I have finished Episode 4 so far. It's just difficult for me to watch because every minute they aren't eaten by lions feels like a missed opportunity. 😄

Last edited:

thegame983

It's the best show in years. I've watched Season 1-2 three or four times. Season 3 once.

It's like a more serious/ dramatized version of Veep with a joke every 20 seconds.

the last episode of season 1 is legit one the great episodes of TV

edit: if you dont think its funny then it just not for you. It IS a comedy more than anything

Last edited:

AlphaMale

I finished watching all three seasons of Succession. Was recommended to it by a friend and also read about all its critical praise, so I decided to jump in. My thoughts...

-I think Brian Cox (Logan) and Jeremy Strong (Kendall) are the only decent actors. The rest of the cast aren't good actors; they just exist. I can't believe Kieran Culkin won a Best Performance award on the show. I think his acting has absolutely zero range, coupled with the fact that his character is annoying as hell, makes me cringe.
-it's an interesting take on how out of touch the super rich are with every day things. That gets tired quickly, though.
-it seems to be most mostly (yet loosely) aligned with Ruper Murdoch's family and Newscorp/Fox business, so that's semi-interesting, I guess.
-Greg is probably the most "normal" person on the show, but his character is so jittery and lacks so much confidence that it's difficult to hear him speak sometimes.
-Shiv has exactly 2 facial emotions: happy or skeptical/sarcastic

I only really paid attention to Kendall, Roy, and Tom. Everyone else just annoyed me; especially Roman. (though, to be fair, I thought Roman was annoying from the beginning)
Anyway, my 2 cents.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It is ok. It gets more hype for being HBO, but it is just OK.

I don't think there is any reality to it at all. just what writers think ultra wealthy are like.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I lasted a few episodes into the second season, but the show is relentlessly the same every episode.

Seriously, try to explain any single episode and you've explained them all.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Maybe I’ll give it another shot eventually, but I’ve given this show more attempts than any show ever without quitting. Everyone seems to love it. I didn’t even care that mostly everyone was hatable, I found nothing compelling about the show. No intrigue from the episodes I’ve seen. No tension. Things just kind of happen. No one to root for. Not specifically because they’re all assholes, but in the episodes I’ve seen it didn’t give me a reason to root for anyone.

I can’t even specify what genre is it. Someone told me to go into it as more if a dark comedy than a drama. Maybe I’ll try that, I don’t know. I didn’t find it particularly funny at all.

Jennings

I'm halfway through season 3 and enjoying all of it now. I stopped hating the characters enough to enjoy the show by the end of episode 2.

As a billionaire myself I'm actually surprised how well they nailed the business family dynamic. It's like an unauthorized biography of my life.

SJRB

Gold Member
It is ok. It gets more hype for being HBO, but it is just OK.

I don't think there is any reality to it at all. just what writers think ultra wealthy are like.

Surely nobody thinks this is based on any form of reality? Everything is so over the top ridiculous it is legit a black comedy 75% of the time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Surely nobody thinks this is based on any form of reality? Everything is so over the top ridiculous it is legit a black comedy 75% of the time.
I absolutely think a lot of people think this is based in reality.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can’t even specify what genre is it. Someone told me to go into it as more if a dark comedy than a drama. Maybe I’ll try that, I don’t know. I didn’t find it particularly funny at all.

That might be your issue. If you don’t find it funny, that’s a problem.

Personally I find it fucking hilarious… but then the guy who created it made a load of top notch British comedy shows which I loved as well.

TheMan

One of the few shows I’ve watched twice. Love it. All the actors are amazing but Keiran is something else

DKehoe

One of the few shows I’ve watched twice. Love it. All the actors are amazing but Keiran is something else
2f6b5c9a53ef0fb9931687c6d1781409a3-succession.rsquare.w700.jpg

This moment was incredible.

Last edited:

Jennings

2f6b5c9a53ef0fb9931687c6d1781409a3-succession.rsquare.w700.jpg

This moment was incredible.
I didn't want to open this spoiler until I was sure I'd reached whatever incredible moment could be alluded to within. I literally just reached this point in the series, s3e8, and have been laughing for five minutes. I popped the spoiler and lo and behind I nailed it. Hilarious stuff.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
It's the most annoying show that I have ever loved. I normally HATE shows where everyone is a dick . I need heroes in my shows, someone to tie my horse to but everyone on this show is an assbag.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I absolutely think a lot of people think this is based in reality.
I absolutely think that it is based in reality, probably the reality is even more fucked up. If you don't think the Murdoch family who this is obviously trying to ape arent this crazy then I don't know what to tell you. Or just look at the current president and his family - you don't think that some insane shit has happened behind closed doors there? Or the Trumps?

Rival

Gold Member
Succession is an awesome symphony of complete bastards and just awful people and it’s amazing. The characters are fantastic.I hate everyone and love it.

Top Bottom