• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any FPS games with RPG elements?

theofficefan99

Just started getting into the Halo series and, while I'm really enjoying myself, and I can't wait to experience every game, I would love to see stats/numbers when shooting an enemy/life bars. *shrugs*

pa22word

Like, all of them?

Even halo was crucified with its before-last entry due to adding treadmill rpg nonsense into its multiplayer.

It's actually very hard to even find a pure shooting fps anymore at all.

Hedge

Warframe has a lot of RPG elements, but they're struggling with keeping everything accessible to free-to-players without making everything such a terrible grind. Recent updates have shown they're more than struggling with it.
For the first 50 hours it's great, though!

Every game has RPG elements nowadays, so that question is somewhat meaningless.

An actual fusion of an FPS and RPG would be Deus Ex or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

This thread saddens me deeply.

System Shock 2 (Bioshock spiritual predecessor) is an amazing FPSRPG. The gameplay can't get any better. Amazing story, atmosphere, soundtrack, everything is amazing except graphics unless you mod, and that's because it's from 1999. IMHO it's the best FPS(RPG) ever made.

The first System Shock also has some RPG elements but SS2 is where things get full RPG.

Doffen

Yeah I'll jump in with the others and say Borderlands.
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is worth every penny.

Not exactly a shooter, but Dishonored has maybe the quality you want. RPG qualities like choosing your upgrades and playstyle, good story focus like RPGs, with choices impacting the narrative as you go. Not stat based though. Deus Ex Mankind divided. Again, not exactly a shooter, although you can definitely play it like one. Much more heavily an RPG than Dishonored.

IvanJ

Banned
Borderlands.
The Handsome Collection can be found at a decent price, two games and all DLCs.

Those are great games, one of my favorite franchises.

Grief.exe

Some of the best games of all time are RPG/FPS games and they have already been mentioned in this thread.

System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Stalker

They don't necessarily have health bars and show your damage, but these three games also put everything else mentioned in the thread to shame.

If you are having issues falling asleep, The Borderlands series can be a great replacement for Lunesta.

MikeyB

There are lots of shooters with progression elements, which have been named, and then there are FPS that require you to play the role of the character.

Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, are not fully FPS but you have to think like a thief to play the first two and the second forces you into a defensive form of play (at first). I got the most out of the very flawed Far Cry 2 by trying toplay as a lone wolf mercenary in a war zone (avoiding roads, picking off enemies one at a time, hit and run tactics).

timmyp53

RPG is such a loose term. It has permeated almost every genre of gaming. Even COD has rpg elements if you want to be technical.

Sotha_Sil

RPG/FPS hybrid are become my favorite games. Fallout 3, New Vegas, Fallout 4, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Borderlands, Destiny (haven't played this one), STALKER series... a great lineage.

AwRy108

Lots of great recommendations in this thread. Gonna throw Ziggarut into the hat (though it's also a rogue-like).

Destiny, from the creators of Halo, is probably what you are looking for. It gets a lot of crap talked about it, but personally I love it. Definitely give it a try to decide for yourself.

Wow lots of suggestions for some phenomenal RPGs with shooter elements (Deus Ex, Fallout). While these are incredible games it's fairly obviously not what the OP is asking for. The best suggestions are going to be fast, action FPS games with rpg systems like Borderlands and Destiny.

Top Bottom