Any gun owners lurking...

#51
I can't imagine carrying around a handgun. A shotgun for home protection and a rifle or handgun for fun makes sense but society will have to crumble quite a bit for me to consider arming myself out on the town. Or if a Government Takeover of health care turns us into commies.

grumble said:
What are the reasons for you to own a gun? I'm not trying to start a gun debate, I'm just curious since I come from a culture which does not encourage gun ownership.
They are fun. Some people collect old shitty motor cycles or game systems. "Gun nuts," to use a kinda derogatory term, have fun with guns they way other people have with computers or fishing. It's both a solo and group activity.

Zyzyxxz said:
can't go wrong with a glock.

I'm not really into guns for self protection but I just wanna own them for collectors sake and to take them out to the range once in a while.

I have to say after playing so many WWII games I must get a M1 Garand sometime in my life
A co-worker had one and it was elegant and simple, like a light saber.

Piggus said:
1943 Mosin Nagant M91/30 7.62x54r bolt-action rifle (stock image)
Damn! Tell me you have a nice ass scope.
 
#53
mac said:
I can't imagine carrying around a handgun. A shotgun for home protection and a rifle or handgun for fun makes sense but society will have to crumble quite a bit for me to consider arming myself out on the town. Or if a Government Takeover of health care turns us into commies.
Agreed. I've never felt in danger enough to consider a handgun. Granted I've never been robbed or anything like that.
 
#55
Cooter said:
Can you elaborate just a bit? Why do they suck?
Well to be honest I just use my gun for making small holes in paper, so I can't really comment on hunting, home defense, carrying, or protecting your poker winnings.

But I did a lot of research before going with a SIG. Have you shot the Glock? I found it to be too light, it almost feels like a fake gun. Also I was looking for something more than a 9mm and with the Glock there's always the possibility it will blow up in your hand:

Controversy arose over GLOCK's safety standards when multiple cases of explosive malfunction occurred in GLOCK pistols sold to police departments in the United States. Upon pulling the trigger, the cartridge case would rupture and cause an explosion that would tear apart the gun and often send shrapnel into the shooter's face.

The cause of this malfunction was traced to issues with a purposefully oversized (loose), and partially unsupported chamber in GLOCK's pistols chambered in .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 SIG, and 10mm. The chamber lacks full support in the rear by the feed ramp in order to facilitate feed reliability. The lack of support in the chamber, usually combined with lead bullets, reloaded, or +P (over-loaded) ammunition, would cause the casing to fail. The subsequent rapid expansion of gas into the chamber caused the pistols to fail, usually damaging the polymer frame and/or magazine.

GLOCK, in its own defense, says that in every manual that comes with their pistols there are instructions informing the shooter of the dangers of using non-factory rated ammunition, and that if the shooter uses factory loaded, jacketed ammuntion and makes sure to properly clean and care for their firearm, the firearm will function safely.
 
#56
My bro recently got a CZ 858, a real pleasure to shoot. Unfortunately the magazines are restricted to a 5 round capacity. But that can be can be altered:D
 
#59
Wow is that really your rifle?!

Sweet setup, you got the Pmags and EOtech going for it! Must be nice but I always wonder if those rails, red dot sights, and such really add to the experience? Since I doubt you ever encounter a situation where you would need and be more useful than a regular AR-15 in stock form.

To me it seems overkill for shooting some animals or targets.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#61
Zyzyxxz said:
Wow is that really your rifle?!

Sweet setup, you got the Pmags and EOtech going for it! Must be nice but I always wonder if those rails, red dot sights, and such really add to the experience? Since I doubt you ever encounter a situation where you would need and be more useful than a regular AR-15 in stock form.

To me it seems overkill for shooting some animals or targets.

:eek: huh, people hunt animals with AR-15s? I thought shothguns and rifles where the tools for hunting.
 
#62
Corky said:
:eek: huh, people hunt animals with AR-15s? I thought shothguns and rifles where the tools for hunting.
Hey I don't know what some people use their guns for as state laws are much more lax than my state of CA.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#64
Zyzyxxz said:
Hey I don't know what some people use their guns for as state laws are much more lax than my state of CA.
gotcha

While one the topic of guns, during summer I went to the states ( boston to be more precise ) to study. One thing I always wanted to do is to fire a gun, seeing as I havent yet mainly because guns are pretty much 99% illegal here and I didnt get a chance to to military service.

Anyways long story short, me and my mate didnt find a single gunrange within a reasonable radius :(
 
#66
Cooter said:
They do I believe but I can check it at the cage and get it when I leave.
So then what is the point of the gun? I say don't bring it, save the time from going to check it in and out and just go to the tables and lose. You'll be out much more quicker than with the gun.
 
#67


Depends what kind of experience you're looking for I guess. Sure iron sights work good enough for most things you're shooting at with an AR-15 but the EOtech is pretty fun even for shooting paper and faster target acquisition. Is a red dot and like accessorized rails necessary? Nah, but in certain situations they are useful... my favorite thing about the AR platform is its versatility. You can build one exactly the way you want it... choose which lower to get, which upper, rail or handguards... optics, whatever you want. It's kinda like modding/personalizing a car/computer/etc.
 
#68
Corky said:
:eek: huh, people hunt animals with AR-15s? I thought shothguns and rifles where the tools for hunting.
The Ar-15 is indeed a rifle. :shrug:

You won't take a bear but for many of the smaller game it's a good choice, plus the ammo is fairly cheap. Plus a lot of people are ex military and are pretty familiar with the rifle so it makes a good choice for them to use when they get out.
DSK123 said:
So then what is the point of the gun? I say don't bring it, save the time from going to check it in and out and just go to the tables and lose. You'll be out much more quicker than with the gun.
Inside the casino is safe, it's for when you're on the way to your car with your winnings and situations like that, not if a gang robs the casino's vault.
 
#70
golem said:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2608/3883800238_d6854a73e1_b.jpg

Depends what kind of experience you're looking for I guess. Sure iron sights work good enough for most things you're shooting at with an AR-15 but the EOtech is pretty fun even for shooting paper and faster target acquisition. Is a red dot and like accessorized rails necessary? Nah, but in certain situations they are useful... my favorite thing about the AR platform is its versatility. You can build one exactly the way you want it... choose which lower to get, which upper, rail or handguards... optics, whatever you want. It's kinda like modding/personalizing a car/computer/etc.
I'd definitely agree with you in that respect. I suppose I like to keep it simple, the most I'd do is an EOtech just because I think its a fascinating device.
 
#71
:lol People don't hunt with ar-15's.. unless they're drunk, hill billies, or idiots.

right now I'm saving up to build a mark 14 mod 0 on a custom smith enterprise stock with a trijicon acog

It will be about $3500 when it's all said and done. : /
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#72
mAcOdIn said:
The Ar-15 is indeed a rifle. :shrug:

You won't take a bear but for many of the smaller game it's a good choice, plus the ammo is fairly cheap. Plus a lot of people are ex military and are pretty familiar with the rifle so it makes a good choice for them to use when they get out.
ah my bad, guess thats videogame/movie conditioning for ya, as soon as I spot something that looks like THAT , ar-15, m-16 etc ( i.e black "gun" that goes pew pew ) I automatically think "automatic rifle" or of some hero standing on a hill just holding the trigger for 50 min and just shooting shit.

the more you know!
 
#73
Zyzyxxz said:
I'd definitely agree with you in that respect. I suppose I like to keep it simple, the most I'd do is an EOtech just because I think its a fascinating device.
The EOtech is definitely "tacti-cool" haha. Most of my friends are on ACOGs now though.. ballarz
 
#75
Corky said:
ah my bad, guess thats videogame/movie conditioning for ya, as soon as I spot something that looks like THAT , ar-15, m-16 etc ( i.e black "gun" that goes pew pew ) I automatically think "automatic rifle" or of some hero standing on a hill just holding the trigger for 50 min and just shooting shit.

there more you know!
Yeah its pretty ridiculous in California.. they ban guns (or deem certain configurations illegal) not for any real technical reason, but rather because the guns look evil or have a certain number of 'evil' features..
 
#77
I believe that states have limits pertaining to the use of assault rifles for hunting that limit the amount of ammunition you're allowed to hold in any active magazine.

You're probably going to get in some trouble if a game warden catches you hunting with an AR-15 and a 30rd magazine.
 
#78
WickedAngel said:
I believe that states have limits pertaining to the use of assault rifles for hunting that limit the amount of ammunition you're allowed to hold in any active magazine.

You're probably going to get in some trouble if a game warden catches you hunting with an AR-15 and a 30rd magazine.
Actually ever since the Assault Weapons Ban lapsed, its perfectly legal in most states to own 30 round magazines (not California however, they have their own 10 rd law on the books).
 
#79
Corky said:
ah my bad, guess thats videogame/movie conditioning for ya, as soon as I spot something that looks like THAT , ar-15, m-16 etc ( i.e black "gun" that goes pew pew ) I automatically think "automatic rifle" or of some hero standing on a hill just holding the trigger for 50 min and just shooting shit.

the more you know!
Well those are also rifles.

There is a difference between the civilian and the military versions, the civilian one only has semi-automatic capability(unless you modify it which is illegal and stupid) while the military has had fully automatic versions and still has one with a burst mode that fires 3 rounds for each pull of the trigger.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#80
golem said:
Actually ever since the Assault Weapons Ban lapsed, its perfectly legal in most states to own 30 round magazines (not California however, they have their own 10 rd law on the books).
Hmm, now Im not a proponent of guns in any way shape or form, but even I think some of these laws are pretty silly. What difference does it make if someone is allowed to have 30rounds or 10rounds ? I mean why even have a law for something like that? Maybe I'm just out of the loop
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#81
mAcOdIn said:
Well those are also rifles.

There is a difference between the civilian and the military versions, the civilian one only has semi-automatic capability(unless you modify it which is illegal and stupid) while the military has had fully automatic versions and still has one with a burst mode that fires 3 rounds for each pull of the trigger.
Are people there allowed to have any kind of automatic weapon? If so, does it require anything extra so to say from the to be gunowner? ( permits, etc etc )
 
#82
Corky said:
Are people there allowed to have any kind of automatic weapon? If so, does it require anything extra so to say from the to be gunowner? ( permits, etc etc )
Unless your state specifically bans Class 3 weapons (which quite a few do), you too can own a machine gun. You need to register with the BATF and go through a background check though.
 
#83
Corky said:
Are people there allowed to have any kind of automatic weapon? If so, does it require anything extra so to say from the to be gunowner? ( permits, etc etc )
Yes and it does requires special permits. I do think there needs to be work done in this regard, for instance with a proper license you can buy flash bangs. Why? Do I really need to stock up on flash bangs for hunting or self defense?

I don't mind magazine fed automatic weapons so much, frankly I think they have too bad a wrap when they're really not all that great. The military took the fully automatic mode away from the original M-16 precisely because it makes the user waste bullets and hit less targets than just firing the rifle as normal. One of the LA bank robbers with the body armor used a modified ar-15 with full auto capability and those two couldn't kill one person. I do however think belt fed weapons should continue being regulated. I do not think armor piercing rounds should be allowed for sale or purchase but they are with the proper license.

So there is some work to do yet.
 
#84
I only hope for the sake of yourself and others around you that you're not a moron (with a gun).

Ideally, you'll complement the gun as self defense thing with lessons on how to verbally deescalate or disarm opponents before a threat arises, threat evasion.

Knowing when to use a gun and how to avoid using a gun is the most important part of owning a gun.

Also if you can, buy a laser sight; simply having a laser dot pointed on a person is far more likely to get that person to back the fuck down if it does ever come to that point.
 
#85
Cooter said:
So I'm finally in a position to purchase a gun. Check this sweet thing out.

It's perfect for what I want, a small weapon easily concealed for those late nights coming out of the casino. It shouldn't be more than $800 after the gun, bullets, holster, concealed permit, and registration.

Anyone one own one and have any thoughts they would like to share?
For handguns, definitely go to the local range and try out a wide variety of them, each handles and feels quite different and really it's hard to know which one is right for you unless you actually shoot it.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#86
mAcOdIn said:
Yes and it does requires special permits. I do think there needs to be work done in this regard, for instance with a proper license you can buy flash bangs. Why? Do I really need to stock up on flash bangs for hunting or self defense?

I don't mind magazine fed automatic weapons so much, frankly I think they have too bad a wrap when they're really not all that great. The military took the fully automatic mode away from the original M-16 precisely because it makes the user waste bullets and hit less targets than just firing the rifle as normal. One of the LA bank robbers with the body armor used a modified ar-15 with full auto capability and those two couldn't kill one person. I do however think belt fed weapons should continue being regulated. I do not think armor piercing rounds should be allowed for sale or purchase but they are with the proper license.

So there is some work to do yet.

Thanks for the information:)! Even though I do not currently reside in the states I do think its important for anybody that has a firm opinion regarding guns and the laws they're under to be well educated on both sides, regardless of your stance on the subject.
 
#87
mAcOdIn said:
Inside the casino is safe, it's for when you're on the way to your car with your winnings and situations like that, not if a gang robs the casino's vault.
Can't you just ask security to escort you out?
 
#88
Full auto weapons when purchased legally are also REALLY expensive because as far as I know you can only buy pre-ban weapons via the tax stamp method. And they're incredibly rare these days. When I say expensive, I mean $15,000+ for an AK-47 while a semi auto version can be had for $500 or less.
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#90
Pikmindictator said:
I think gun laws should be less strict in europe.
where in europe do you live? I live in sweden and I'm perfectly happy with the gun laws we have here, that is extremely strict. I dont know the ins and outs but needless to say just in order to aquire lets say a handgun you have to do A LOT in order to get it legally, I'm talking about courses, liscences, special permits, clubassosiations, competition affiliations etc etc etc.
 
#91
mAcOdIn said:
Yes and it does requires special permits. I do think there needs to be work done in this regard, for instance with a proper license you can buy flash bangs. Why? Do I really need to stock up on flash bangs for hunting or self defense?

I don't mind magazine fed automatic weapons so much, frankly I think they have too bad a wrap when they're really not all that great. The military took the fully automatic mode away from the original M-16 precisely because it makes the user waste bullets and hit less targets than just firing the rifle as normal. One of the LA bank robbers with the body armor used a modified ar-15 with full auto capability and those two couldn't kill one person. I do however think belt fed weapons should continue being regulated. I do not think armor piercing rounds should be allowed for sale or purchase but they are with the proper license.

So there is some work to do yet.
Don't forget 50 calibur rifles! Even though you have to register the ammunition you buy (at least in CA IIRC) I think its pretty insane somebody could buy a rifle that can pierce light armor, seriously what use is that? It's alot of money for something so useless but also dangerous.
 
#93
Funny this thread popped up because I have been thinking of purchasing a handgun for home protection and range use but didn't really know where to start. A friend of mine bought a 9mm from the gun store for $199 I didn't realize they come that cheap! Not sure if I would go that low but I don't want to go over $400 for one. Any suggestions?
 

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
#94
MWS Natural said:
Funny this thread popped up because I have been thinking of purchasing a handgun for home protection and range use but didn't really know where to start. A friend of mine bought a 9mm from the gun store for $199 I didn't realize they come that cheap! Not sure if I would go that low but I don't want to go over $400 for one. Any suggestions?
if its for protection then i dont see why a 199$ handgun wouldnt be able to protect you as much as a 400$ one.
 
#95
Corky said:
if its for protection then i dont see why a 199$ handgun wouldnt be able to protect you as much as a 400$ one.

Accuracy and reliability of the reloading mechanism come to mind for semi autos...both of which are a fairly large concern for protection.

That said I have an old .357 revolver with an 8 inch barrel that looks like the Jokers gun from the first batman. Not very useful but I got it as a gift and it's pretty fun to shoot, same with my AK-47. I also have the standard mossberg 12 gauge for shotgun duty while camping.
 
#96
mAcOdIn said:
My ex room mate had one the fucking bastard, although I'd rather get a M-14.

Here's what I have:

A Marlin 30-30 lever action rifle.
HOLY SHIT a 30-30 lever action is one of the first guns I ever shot(when I was about 12). I haven't shot many guns in my life but that was by far my favorite. I was a badass shot with it too amazingly enough. I destroyed a hell of a lot of cans with it. :D
 
#97
Corky said:
Hmm, now Im not a proponent of guns in any way shape or form, but even I think some of these laws are pretty silly. What difference does it make if someone is allowed to have 30rounds or 10rounds ? I mean why even have a law for something like that? Maybe I'm just out of the loop

Probably because if someone with a gun/rifle/whatever goes nuts and starts shooting at people it will be less damaging with 10 rounds that with 30/40/whatever.
If it's for auto defense you don't need that many rounds.
Hunting is the only one really affected as if you are really bad shooting you will need 100 rounds (j/k) :lol

That is what I think, it's kind of a security in case someone goes crazy.
 

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
#98
I don't get CCA (is it CCA?), you can legal carry it as long as it's hidden, does it mean you can shoot to kill in self defence?

Also what are the laws on gun ownership in the UK anyone?
 
xbhaskarx said:
Well to be honest I just use my gun for making small holes in paper, so I can't really comment on hunting, home defense, carrying, or protecting your poker winnings.

But I did a lot of research before going with a SIG. Have you shot the Glock? I found it to be too light, it almost feels like a fake gun. Also I was looking for something more than a 9mm and with the Glock there's always the possibility it will blow up in your hand:
I never heard of any exploding glocks here. Glocks are and have been THE handgun for every policeman and the army here since almost 30 years.

Would it be really used by over 50 police squads, special forces and army soldiers worldwide if they are known to blow up in your hand?

regarding the low weight of the guns:
The Glock's frame, magazine body and several other components are made from a high-strength nylon-based polymer invented by Gaston Glock and called Polymer 2.[14] This plastic was specially formulated to provide increased durability and is more resilient than carbon steel and most steel alloys. Polymer 2 is resistant to shock, caustic liquids and temperature extremes where traditional steel/alloy frames would warp and become brittle.
This is also the reason why it is so popular at special forces because the gun is a tough beast.