• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

golem

Cooter said:
Went to the gun store today and looked around for a while. I like the Glock 26 still but the 19 is pretty sweet. Also liked the H & K ps2000 I believe. Really nice piece but $900. The Beretta px4 was nice but not my cup of tea. I'll probably stick with either a Glock 26 or 19. Should be getting it on Saturday.
Did you check out the Springfield XDs?

CrazedArabMan said:
I'm looking into those actually, but I'm not sure how they shoot or handle.

Better than the glock, IMO. Feels better in my hand and I enjoy the trigger better. But then again, I own a Glock and not the XD :lol

Just picked up my AR15 lower yesterday, about to order the upper soon. :D

dsc0420m.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I really like the hkp2000sk. Not sure if I can stomach the price though.

f38c2ca6e5bf5a9c

golem said:
Did you check out the Springfield XDs?

I don't think I can go wrong with this either.

1c0dd8cb7bc64f7a

It's just a little larger than I'm looking for.

I'll probably end up with a G26 with an extended clip.

13b2f9cb3f93a6d8

nitewulf

CrazedArabMan said:
the 338 is not bad at all, but I've never had a problem with recoil when I shoot.
ever tried a 12 gauge shotgun with the solid lead shot? you might have a recoil problem. just a bit.

RapidCancel said:
Better than the glock, IMO. Feels better in my hand and I enjoy the trigger better. But then again, I own a Glock and not the XD :lol

dsc0420m.jpg

Which lower is that and how much? I'm looking to maybe build an AR-15 at some point but the restrictions in NY are very precise.

golem

RapidCancel said:

dsc0420m.jpg
Spikes nice! I have a Rock River lower and CMMG upper, Daniel Defense omega rail. Prices are coming back to normal.. kinda want another one haha.

Cooter said:
I really like the hkp2000sk. Not sure if I can stomach the price though.
I'll probably end up with a G26 with an extended clip.

Its expensive...go hold the gun and see if you like it. It's my ccw, but the g26 should do just the same. I carry my g27 from time to time too. What caliber are you looking for? If your interested in a .40 you could get a g27 and also get a 9mm barrel to use the g27 for both 9mm and .40 cal.

If you go with the hk, get ready to pay out the ass for magazines. It's not as bad for the p2ksk, but for the usp and other stuff...damnz.

Lionheart1827 said:
Which lower is that and how much? I'm looking to maybe build an AR-15 at some point but the restrictions in NY are very precise.

The lower was from Spikes Tactical and on sale for $89, pretty much back to non-price gouging prices...but it was only for the month of Aug. So price is back to "normal."

I hear its near impossible to get a gun in NY?

golem said:
Spikes nice! I have a Rock River lower and CMMG upper, Daniel Defense omega rail. Prices are coming back to normal.. kinda want another one haha.

I plan on getting a CMMG middy upper for it. How much was the DD omega rail? I was thinking about going with the YHM mainly for prices sake. Prices were hiked for so long...I've been waited for it to drop again for so long :lol $200 - $300 for a stripped lower? No tnx =X

MWS Natural said:
Sorry I meant among the 9mm's or 45's. I am looking at the Springfield XD's, they are getting glowing reviews all around.

Is this for home defense, concealed carry, range, etc.?

golem

RapidCancel said:
I plan on getting a CMMG middy upper for it. How much was the DD omega rail? I was thinking about going with the YHM mainly for prices sake. Prices were hiked for so long...I've been waited for it to drop again for so long :lol $200 - $300 for a stripped lower? No tnx =X
My CMMG is a mid too. I got the rail here:
http://www.alliedarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_129&products_id=207
It's a really excellent design, solid as a rock on there. No modifications to the upper either.

You might want to check out Riflegear's CMMG based Spectre uppers.. their site seems to be down right now but give it a google later

RapidCancel said:
The lower was from Spikes Tactical and on sale for $89, pretty much back to non-price gouging prices...but it was only for the month of Aug. So price is back to "normal."

I hear its near impossible to get a gun in NY?

Not at all, just very restricted. Cant have more than a 10 round mag, no threaded barrel, permanently pinned muzzle brake, no telescoping stock and if its there it must be permently pinned, pistol grip(usually this is the 1 out of 4 things that people keep on the gun. You can only have I think 1 of the 4 "bad" features. There might be another feature that I'm forgetting. Obviously no full auto, too.

golem said:
My CMMG is a mid too. I got the rail here:
http://www.alliedarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=128_129&products_id=207
It's a really excellent design, solid as a rock on there. No modifications to the upper either.

You might want to check out Riflegear's CMMG based Spectre uppers.. their site seems to be down right now but give it a google later

$269 isn't too bad. CMMG charges $310 if you want them to install it on their upper...is it hard to do it myself? Never done it before..Also, how long was the turn around time for you to get the upper? It seems like they are still a bit flooded with orders.

Lionheart1827 said:
Not at all, just very restricted. Cant have more than a 10 round mag, no threaded barrel, permanently pinned muzzle brake, no telescoping stock and if its there it must be permently pinned, pistol grip(usually this is the 1 out of 4 things that people keep on the gun. You can only have I think 1 of the 4 "bad" features. There might be another feature that I'm forgetting. Obviously no full auto, too.

Ah, gotcha. Do you have to do paperwork just to buy it? It looks like Spikes extended their half off deal for Sept too. http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_65&products_id=52

Jump on it! >.>

RapidCancel said:
Is this for home defense, concealed carry, range, etc.?

All of the above for a first time gun owner. I want to take it to the range for practice and keep it at home for protection eventually down the road getting a concealed permit.

golem

RapidCancel said:
$269 isn't too bad. CMMG charges $310 if you want them to install it on their upper...is it hard to do it myself? Never done it before..Also, how long was the turn around time for you to get the upper? It seems like they are still a bit flooded with orders.
They have them in stock so they should ship out immediately. The install is pretty easy, but you may need an extra pair of hands to push down the delta ring. Otherwise simple.

^ Oh I meant from CMMG for the upper assembly, not the DD rail. :lol Also, are you using any sort of BUIS?

MWS Natural said:
All of the above for a first time gun owner. I want to take it to the range for practice and keep it at home for protection eventually down the road getting a concealed permit.

I was gonna suggest a full size 1911, but it might be a bit hard to conceal carry it :lol The best thing I'd suggest you should do is go and hold a lot of diff kind of guns and choose whatever feels best in your hand. Go with any of the big namers; glock, hk, springfield armory, beretta, etc. If you wanna use it for a home defense too, I'd say go for a compact size or bigger.

golem

RapidCancel said:
^ Oh I meant from CMMG for the upper assembly, not the DD rail. :lol Also, are you using any sort of BUIS?
Oh, the upper install is super easy. Plug and play. Assembling the lower and lower parts kit is a bit more complicated, but there are plenty of instructions/videos on the web. Just watch out for flying springs. Also for the stock you'll need a special wrench
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5TSBE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dont have a BUIS right now.. thinking about a Troy but damn theyre expensive

eznark

Banned
Anyone have the Springfield XD9? I was thinking of picking one up but the local shop doesn't have any at the moment. Any impressions?

Forsete

Two black powder pistols.

Original Remington 1858 New Army .44, not the original drum in this picture. Only a little bluing left, most of it has turned brown (not rust :p )
2660165213_1c079d0bf2_o.jpg

This one is from 17xx sometime, converted from flintlock to percussion cap at a later date. Probably German, has some markings on it but I haven't been able to trace them.
Caliber .50. Sorry about the picture, but I cant find any other which I have uploaded.

empire2cont.jpg

Yoritomo

eznark said:
Anyone have the Springfield XD9? I was thinking of picking one up but the local shop doesn't have any at the moment. Any impressions?

I've shot a XD9 service numerous times and own an XD45. I find the grip more comfortable for my hands than a comparable Glock and prefer the trigger.

On a side note I have never had a better customer service experience than I have so far with Springfield Armory.

You should go to your local range and test fire some of the guns there.

golem said:
Oh, the upper install is super easy. Plug and play. Assembling the lower and lower parts kit is a bit more complicated, but there are plenty of instructions/videos on the web. Just watch out for flying springs. Also for the stock you'll need a special wrench
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5TSBE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dont have a BUIS right now.. thinking about a Troy but damn theyre expensive

Hey I got a quick question, where did you buy your CMMG upper from?

ChanHuk

Banned
eznark said:

I have an XD9 Service, it's my first gun and I have absolutely no complaints with it. It shoots very similar to a 1911 style gun.

Zyzyxxz

I just found out Colt and S&W are making M4 carbines that use .22LR

They start at $500, is it too much for a rifle that uses .22?

Zyzyxxz said:
I just found out Colt and S&W are making M4 carbines that use .22LR

They start at $500, is it too much for a rifle that uses .22?

I mean its not the "same" badassness however, 22 ammo is so fucking cheap it actually sounds really good. :D

I think thats a great deal actually. Post ban .223 carbines here in NY fetch about 1000-1200 so we're talking half the price. Plus you'll be saving a ton of money on ammo.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I picked iy up yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a Glock 26 with a 12 round clip. My next step is taking my CCW class and waiting for the sheriff to process my permit.

Sallokin

Cooter said:
I picked iy up yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a Glock 26 with a 12 round clip. My next step is taking my CCW class and waiting for the sheriff to process my permit.

Congrats on your purchase. Here in Colorado there was such a rush for CCWs after the change in administrations that the process was backed up 60 days on top of the usual 90 day waiting period. I hope yours doesn't take that long.

Zyzyxxz

Lionheart1827 said:
I mean its not the "same" badassness however, 22 ammo is so fucking cheap it actually sounds really good. :D

I think thats a great deal actually. Post ban .223 carbines here in NY fetch about 1000-1200 so we're talking half the price. Plus you'll be saving a ton of money on ammo.

yeah all the AR-15's go north of $1000 for just a standard one.

The S&P M15-22 is completely made of polymer but at least comes with rails.

Ill post pics as soon as I get my papers back from the ATF, but yeah, here is what I got so far.

Armalite Lower (got lucky and found one at a gunshow)
Armalite Trigger assembly
Surefire 6P with Vltor mount
Ergo Grip
BCM Complete Bolt

Will be purchasing

BCM 11.5 Upper with DD lite 10.0 Rail
Vltor Emod stock
Eotech 512

Cant wait, to bad the ATF takes their sweet time.

I will say one thing, BCM makes some good stuff, all mil spec and up there with the best, if not the best.

Just got back from the range with my brother. Fired his glocks and we fired around my .270(it was his first time shooting a bolt action), they are nice pistols. Got a nice tan also! :D

YYZ

I'm going to the shooting range for the first time tomorrow. I've never fired a gun before. There's a brief introductory course for people like me, and then we get to pick and choose types of guns to fire (pay for ammunition). I'll start off with the basic pistol I guess. I'm pretty excited.

I just realized that what I said is in stark contrast to my avatar :lol

I was talking to my friend about it and he mentioned that in Alberta, they have or used to have some problems with people going into the ranges, getting a gun, and committing suicide so they had to start screening or something. Anyone know of problems like this with gun ranges?

Zyzyxxz

YYZ said:
I'm going to the shooting range for the first time tomorrow. I've never fired a gun before. There's a brief introductory course for people like me, and then we get to pick and choose types of guns to fire (pay for ammunition). I'll start off with the basic pistol I guess. I'm pretty excited.

I just realized that what I said is in stark contrast to my avatar :lol

I was talking to my friend about it and he mentioned that in Alberta, they have or used to have some problems with people going into the ranges, getting a gun, and committing suicide so they had to start screening or something. Anyone know of problems like this with gun ranges?

seriously? They could just buy their own gun and do it in the privacy of their own place?

Pretty messed up but I've never heard of that happening before.

KHarvey16

Zyzyxxz said:
seriously? They could just buy their own gun and do it in the privacy of their own place?

Pretty messed up but I've never heard of that happening before.

I would imagine the problem is buying their own pistol.

YYZ

It's not so easy to buy guns here, and not as fast as going to a gun range, paying the fee (which won't affect you anyway), and pulling the trigger.

YYZ said:

False. I walked into a shooting range in edmonton, having never shot before, just paid my money and shot a glock at a zombie target. 1 month ago.

Zyzyxxz

salva said:
wow, why so cheap?

made of wood and the Russians built so many and the design was rather simple. Great rifle from what I hear, especially for the price. I'll probably pick one up in the future.

I'm really warming up to the S&W MP 15-22, at only $500 MSRP its a great price for an AR platform plinker.

MP15-22.jpg

Yoritomo

Cooter said:
I picked iy up yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a Glock 26 with a 12 round magazine. My next step is taking my CCW class and waiting for the sheriff to process my permit.

:eek:

MWS Natural said:
I might pickup one of those cheap Hi Point 9mm's on Wednesday, the reviews seem good and you can't beat the price!

Yeah my buddy has it in addition to a bunch of other more expensive rifles. He said its not the best looking rifle, but damn for the price its very reliable and very accurate. Are you gonna get the 40 or the 9mm?

Zyzyxxz said:
I'm really warming up to the S&W MP 15-22, at only $500 MSRP its a great price for an AR platform plinker.

This is strictly range only? I'd say you should get a 5.56/.223 >.> You could always build your own and save a little money.

Yoritomo said:

:lol So true. For those that don't know, there's a difference!

thereisadifference2.jpg

Top Bottom