• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

1. How are you going to carry it? In your pocket? Tucked inside your waistband or in a bag/purse? Deployment is going to matter a lot in self-defense. If someone means to do you harm, it should be something you can easily use to deter an attacker. Not something you might have to search for.

2. Escalation issues. That looks like a gun. Sometimes, people just want to jack you and not hurt you. But, even in the course of defending yourself, that can ramp things up. If I'm going to pull a gun shaped thing on someone, I would rather it actually be a gun. But you said that it's not an option.

3. I find self-defense, in my experience is more of a state of mind with situational awareness. Not being in bad places at bad times, not calling attention to yourself as a potential victim. But, I don't know your life, so you might be in a situation where you can't avoid some sketchiness.

If it were up to me, I would not choose something that looks like a gun. I would either carry something I can semi-conceal in my hand and deploy instantly. Or something like a folding karambit that open when you deploy it from your pocket.

To be honest, I don't even carry my gun with me all the time going out, because I sometimes don't even want to deal with all the stuff that can happen if I draw a handgun. But, I also am more comfortable using something like Brazilian Jiujitsu, because I can actually go up against another person several times a week and train it out. I don't have the opportunity to do practical pistol training. And I'm pretty sure, that I would not grapple anyone if I was carrying concealed, I don't want someone that close to me if I was carrying.

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered some of your points when I posted.

My issue is with one or two fairly crazy individuals. It's a long story, but helping out a friend can sometimes bury you knee deep in their bullshit! I'd like to protect myself in case these crazies ever decide to roll up on me. I don't think they will, but they're absolutely nutters. Restraining orders, house alarms, retaining a lawyer, and all that are in the works.

1. Holster or pocket would be fine. I'd probably leave it in my car for the most part when out, and only have it on me when I'm completely alone. Ex. I'm pumping gas at night, or using an isolated atm. At home, I'd keep it locked up in the closet and rely on 911 first.

2. I can't say for certain, but I'm hoping that something that looks like a gun would scare them off. Your escalation point is a good one, though. I'm going to assume that if I ever see them, I should defend myself.

3. They're stalker types who have gone through great lengths to fuck with other people at their jobs, homes, all kinds of unbelievable stuff. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to avoid them when they set their on someone.

I just need to make sure that whatever I have gets the job done.

My mom has one of these she keeps around. Hasn't needed to use it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CZ9MRY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah I think spray is probably the all around best self-defense item that isn't a gun. I was hoping for an option with a little more range as one of these psychos has been known to get all pokey during altercations.

I might just bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get a small .22 or something. It's just the logistics of managing it with children in my house is tough. Not that children pepper spraying each other isn't a concern...

Honestly 22 is a terrible choice for personal defense. If you're serious about carrying a firearm get the proper training and a carry a weapon actual stopping power (9mm or better).

A 22 doesn't have a power to stop an aggressive threat unless you are a really good shot under pressure.

Pepper spray is more likely to stop a threat over 22 because it can render a perp blind and make breathing difficult, but a 22 just leaves a little hole.

I've heard this Kimber spray has good range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L75SSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the tips QualityPixel.

Yeah I've seen some videos of the Kimber spray in action. Looks pretty legit imo. It's small too which is a huge plus as I'd like to be discreet about the whole thing if possible.

LiamA

Impulsively decided to go into a pawn shop I was driving by today.

uianM9t.jpg

Scored a pretty nice Russian bayonet!

hwalker84

Damn Sig with an official voluntary recall announced.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/sig...20-pistol-that-can-discharge-erroneously.html

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol
Published Date: 08/08/2017
P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards; performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.
Newington, NH (August 8, 2017) – The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.
The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker-fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.
Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.
As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.
The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.
“SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”
For more information on SIG SAUER, please visit us at sigsauer.com
PR Contact:
Jordan Hunter
SIG SAUER, Inc.
603-610-3293
jordan.hunter@sigsauer.com

RedRum

Banned
So I just got this:

Dear Person,

You are receiving this notice because you recently purchased an Apex Tactical trigger for the Sig P320 pistol (MidwayUSA product numbers 686935, 293153, 972729).

Due to Sig Sauer’s recently-announced voluntary upgrade of the Sig P320 pistol, Apex Tactical has suspended sales of their Sig P320 aftermarket triggers. Apex Tactical asks Customers who have purchased an Apex Sig P320 Trigger to stop using the trigger and to please contact Apex Tactical Customer Service at (623) 322-0200 to return the trigger in exchange for credit towards any other Apex product.

We apologize for the inconvenience,
MidwayUSA Customer Service

RedRum

Banned
Dang, the Sig P320 drop stuff has been everywhere. What are you going to do RedRum?

I'm not sure, dude. I don't mind sending my weapon in to get fixed, but I really really really like my trigger mod. I'm leaning on keeping my 320 how it is, but the drop thing would always be on the back of my mind.

Bandit1

I'm not sure, dude. I don't mind sending my weapon in to get fixed, but I really really really like my trigger mod. I'm leaning on keeping my 320 how it is, but the drop thing would always be on the back of my mind.

Do you have a carry license or plan on carrying it?

Bandit1

I open carry my 320 from time to time, but conceal carry my shield. I mainly got the 320 for home defense.

Yeah I got my PPS for concealed carry, (I carry on private property and going to work on actually getting a license later this year) and my PPQ stays by my bed. For now I keep them both unchambered, though now that I'm more comfortable with it I would have no qualms about carrying my PPS chambered in my kydex holster. But for my PPQ beside my bed I'll keep it unchambered (in case I sleepwalk or something lol.) So if you kept the 320 unchambered in your house I think I would probably keep your sweet trigger if it was me. Maybe a couple months down the line Apex will put out a new trigger for it that is drop-safe. I don't know, just my two cents.

RedRum

Banned
Yeah I got my PPS for concealed carry, (I carry on private property and going to work on actually getting a license later this year) and my PPQ stays by my bed. For now I keep them both unchambered, though now that I'm more comfortable with it I would have no qualms about carrying my PPS chambered in my kydex holster. But for my PPQ beside my bed I'll keep it unchambered (in case I sleepwalk or something lol.) So if you kept the 320 unchambered in your house I think I would probably keep your sweet trigger if it was me. Maybe a couple months down the line Apex will put out a new trigger for it that is drop-safe. I don't know, just my two cents.

Yup! I usually never keep a round in the chamber unless I'm concealed carrying. Whereabouts are you, B? I might send an email to sig and ask them how long they plan on having the recall available. It'll give me some time to think, but I'm leaning more towards keeping it. Even dry firing that trigger is sweet! LoL.

Bandit1

Yup! I usually never keep a round in the chamber unless I'm concealed carrying. Whereabouts are you, B? I might send an email to sig and ask them how long they plan on having the recall available. It'll give me some time to think, but I'm leaning more towards keeping it. Even dry firing that trigger is sweet! LoL.

Good idea, maybe email Apex too and see if they are planning a revised trigger for it. I live in Oklahoma. Pretty rural area and I work outside a lot so that's when I carry my PPS. Not just for personal defense but snakes as well.

Goofalo

Had a dickens of a time zeroing in my rifle with offset iron sights. One mounted on the rear of my receiver and the other at the end of my 15" rail. Ended up mounting the rear sight where my rail and receiver meet. That seems to have done it.

Impulsively decided to go into a pawn shop I was driving by today.

uianM9t.jpg

Scored a pretty nice Russian bayonet!

Nice find!

It's funny, I saw this thread and my wife tells me she signed me up for the conceal weapons permit next month.

I have a Smith & Wesson .40

Edit: I was looking at Glocks

Goofalo

Do you need anymore inspirational sayings from our prophet Gaston?

Did you know that though his divine work, Gaston has kept hundreds of strippers in Atlanta off the streets?

Or how he cast out a demon from his home and replaced her with a much younger, innocent, vulnerable horse riding maiden?

Come be one of us.

MisterNoisy

Finally got around to ordering the KAK Blade kit and a BCM LPK (both in FDE) for my pistol build. I'm not in a hurry, so I'm collecting the parts slowly. That said, I think I'll have everything but the stripped lower once these show up.

LiamA

WYsd408.jpg

hXh8BsI.jpg

G7ufCl7.jpg

Got a nice deal on a TA50 ACOG. It has a reticle calibrated for 7.62x39, making it pretty much the ultimate AK optic. The scope and the entire side mount are less than 10 ounces. Just an impressive little setup with amazing glass quality.

fEchnfb.jpg

fv0Gesv.jpg

Also got a KAC lower, which is something I have been wanting for a long time. Coolest rollmark out there, imo. It's pictured with my 16" DD upper, but the ultimate goal is to register it as an SBR and mate it with a Mk18 upper.

I think I need to find another floor to take pics on.

Nice find!

It's funny, I saw this thread and my wife tells me she signed me up for the conceal weapons permit next month.

I have a Smith & Wesson .40

Ditch .40, go 9, look at Walther or HK... maybe not HK, I love HK but their SK models aren't as concealable as single stacks.

MisterNoisy

Mostly have finished my AR pistol.

G1Qm9Mu.jpg

Have put 100 through it with no issues, so just going to replace the A2 FH with a flash can, add some sort of sling and some FDE grip panels and call it good.

blackflag

VRXWnw6.jpg

New addition to the family.
Daniel Defense MK 18 upper
Bravo Company Lower
Maxim CQB Brace

Vortex Sparc AR is coming today.

I suspect I might switch the trigger out to a CMC but it feels pretty good. I may not get to the range until Saturday. I hope it's sooner though.

MisterNoisy

For peeps posting pics of your beautiful weapons, can you post the parts if you built it up.

I don't own a truck, but the AR pistol I posted right before you did is definitely a 'truck gun'-style build - I built it as cheap as I could, mostly because I had leftover bits and bobs from previous ARs.

Radical Firearms 10.5" upper w/10" MLOK rail - $189
BCM Enhanced LPK - $100 (great trigger!)
KAK Shockwave receiver extension kit + brace - $80
Leftover PSA BCG and CH from previous rifle - $0
Bushnell TRS-25 - $15 from that sale on Amazon and the Bushnell rebate earlier this year
UTG absolute cowitness riser for the TRS-25: $9
Plastic 13-slot MLOK rail - $10
Strike Industries Cobra AFG from a previous build - $0
Anderson lower - $50
I've since added a paracord wrap around the buffer tube and have ordered some Magpul MLOK grip panels in FDE ($25) to finish it off. It's pretty nice to shoot as 'cheap' guns go.

Bandit1

A lot of people in here have some really sweet rifles. I hardly ever comment on them because I just don't know that much about them, but I'm envious lol. Never had the opportunity to shoot an AR, but I want to get in on the fun. I think an AR will be my next gun.

blackflag

A lot of people in here have some really sweet rifles. I hardly ever comment on them because I just don't know that much about them, but I'm envious lol. Never had the opportunity to shoot an AR, but I want to get in on the fun. I think an AR will be my next gun.

Be careful. It is an addiction :) You should totally do it though.

Eyeron

Scooped up a Gen 5 Glock 17....

Impressions after 165 rounds.... It's a Glock.

I might grab a G5 26, if they end up producing it.

I caved and bought a Walther PPQ M1 5" on gunbuyer yesterday. Could not resist that configuration + the $100 rebate. Can't wait to hit the range with it.

allpros_gray.png

Bandit1

I caved and bought a Walther PPQ M1 5" on gunbuyer yesterday. Could not resist that configuration + the $100 rebate. Can't wait to hit the range with it.

allpros_gray.png

Congrats! I picked up the M2 5" from them before they went out of stock. I think you'll love it, I couldn't be happier with mine. Also they probably told you or put it up on their website, but your shipment might be delayed because of the hurricane.

Eyeron

Congrats! I picked up the M2 5" from them before they went out of stock. I think you'll love it, I couldn't be happier with mine. Also they probably told you or put it up on their website, but your shipment might be delayed because of the hurricane.

Yeah. I probably won't get my hands on it for a couple of weeks, minimum. Oh well.

hwalker84

allpros_gray.png

I will never get rid of my PPQ's. Next you'll get the PPQ 45.

CFMOORE!

i am lazy and don't want to do much research so i am hoping one of you can help answer. I live in CA and it's been nearly 18 years since I looked over a study guide (from Tuner's Outdoorsman) for the test to get a gun purchase license. Back then it was insanely easy, common sense questions they asked, is it much more difficult now to get the license than it was back then? back then i never actually took the test because i was 17.

dcll

Banned
I grew up around gun and have shot them a bunch over the years but I don't really know about them. I have been wanting to get one to keep at home, shoot for fun out in the country and to get a concealed carry possibly. I don't want to spend a bunch but don't want some pos, what are some good recommendations?

Top Bottom