• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any interest in a new Reading Books thread/community?

(Hi, this is my first thread so apologies if it is in the wrong place or redundant to another thread.)

Would any other GAF members be interested in a new thread or community about reading books? I did a search and this thread from October 2017 is the last thread dedicated to reading books that I can find.

I'm sure that NeoGAF members have eclectic tastes in reading material, and I'd be interested in chatting about what we are reading and what we think about what we are reading with you all.

R5ZwlNG.png

Bootyful

Banned
giphy.gif

Sorry I had to. I actually think it's a great idea, since I've been wanting to get back into reading books on a regular basis and having a community recommending some would be fantastic

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i love to read books. i just finished Harpo Speaks!, the autobiography of Harpo Marx.

really amazing, fun book. basically reads like one of their movies, all the crazy stuff he got into, all the weird characters he met. slowly finding a career in vaudeville. playing croquet with George Burns. weekend long parties at classy mansions all over the world. it's like The Great Gatsby if instead of lounging around a single estate they traveled around the world and had crazy adventures.

mekes

I think It would be good to have a thread here for this. I will definitely pop in and post from time to time. I don’t read as much as I’d like to, usually in or around 10 books a year with a strong preference for sci-fi or horror.

I‘m currently reading Fevre Dream by GRRM. Only 50 pages or so in right now, but I do like the book so far. It’s actually my first GRRM book. I like his writing so far, reminds me a little of King. It’s easy to follow, to the point whilst doing a great job of putting you into a scene. It bodes well for me reading more of his books in the future.

I am interested. I just started reading The Town from Bentley Little, i love his writing style.
I am one book short to complete my reading challenge for this year 49/50.

Congratulations on almost completing your reading challenge.

I really want to get into reading the horror genre. I read Goosebumps books as a child and Point Horror books as a teenager, but for some reason I never made the jump into reading horror books for adults. I've never even read any Stephen King.

Growing up, I loved to read books, whether it be novels or a collection of short stories, but I haven't finished reading any books in a couple years. Stephen King's "Under the Dome" and "11/22/63" are my most recent favorites. I'd like to re-read "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov, as well as discover new reading material in the science fiction genre.

Speaking of Goosebumps, there was this other series of books called Strange Matter, although I think I only ever read one because it had a UFO on the cover, called "Fly the Unfriendly Skies".

51WtuSCyfIL._SL500_.jpg

When I was a teenager, I really enjoyed reading Philip Reeve's "Mortal Engines" books.

Hungrycitychronicles.jpg

I don't read too many fantasy/dystopian/steampunk novels though it was recommended that I check out "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld which is the first in its own trilogy.

Last edited:
I got the hardback versions of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson still sitting on my bookshelf untouched.

I really need to get around to reading them.

brian0057

Banned
I recommend this series right here:

codexalera.jpg

CODEX ALERA by Dresden Files author Jim Butcher.
The order of the series goes a follows.
  1. Furies of Calderon.
  2. Academ's Fury.
  3. Cursor's Fury.
  4. Captain's Fury.
  5. Princep's Fury.
  6. First Lord's Fury.
A superb fantasy series with a pretty amusing origin. According to Butcher, Codex Alera was created a part of challenge by another author who believed that great ideas made great books. Jim disagreed with this notion since he believes a good author can take any idea, no matter how stupid, and turn it into a great book. So, as a test, he asked the other author to give him two stupid ideas and he would combine them to make an awesome series. And those ideas where "Pokemon" and the "Lost Roman Legion".

Turns out Jim was right. This series rules and it's one of my favorites ever.
Highly recommended.
I got the hardback versions of Way of Kings and Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson still sitting on my bookshelf untouched.

I really need to get around to reading them.
Oh, man, you really should. Especially The Way of Kings.
Probably one of the best fantasy novels (and fantasy series) ever written.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Yes, I am definitely interested. I enjoy reading a lot and for the second run I enjoy audio books too.

Great! I was thinking of starting the thread with some links to resources like these:

Book Recommendations

Free Books

Websites/Blogs

Anything I should include or omit?
Any ideas for a thread title?

Top Bottom