• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any ISIS fans here?

Papa

Banned
I'm reacquainting myself with one of my all time favourite bands, ISIS, after not listening to them much for a few years. Stylistically, they're somewhat similar to sludge metal bands like Neurosis, Baroness, Kylesa, etc. but a bit heavier and more technical with some crossover into post-rock territory with the loud-quiet-crescendo style popularised by bands like Mogwai. If this ain't your jam, it's probably not worth reading on. For those who think they may be interested, there are some wicked jams linked below. Hope u likey.

ISIS broke up in 2009 after releasing their fifth and final and what is imo one of the greatest post-metal albums of all time, Wavering Radiant. The break-up was planned and two weeks after the album's release, they released a statement saying "[we have] done everything we wanted to do, said everything we wanted to say," and, as part of an agreement made by the band at their formation, they did not wish to be faced with the possibility that they would "push past the point of a dignified death."[34] Disappointing as it was, I had to respect their decision because if they felt that their creative mana had run dry, it was better to go out at the peak than fall off a cliff trying to recapture past glory. I feel that many other bands could have benefited from a similar philosophy (cough cough Metallica and Opeth). With this in mind, Threshold of Transformation, the final track of Wavering Radiant, feels like a bittersweet love-/goodbye-letter to their fans, culminating in an epic four-and-a-half minute (mostly) instrumental segment. I still get chills when I listen to it now and despite being the final track they ever relased, it was actually the first I ever heard and the one that kickstarted my love affair with their music. So, without anymore of my blather, below is a collection of some of my favourite ISIS tracks from across all of their albums, starting with Threshold of Transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tMiadgbAC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TUnZXEVxM

Bonus track: the only song that has given me shades of prime ISIS is The Ocean - The Quiet Observer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTjx3R4Najc

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I listened to them a while ago when I was going through a prog rock phase (which consisted almost entirely of listening to Alan Parsons). I think I appreciated the music but got bored before the first song ended and didn’t listen to any more.

Like the rest of what I’ve seen of your musical taste, it’s made for people smarter than me.

Papa

Banned
I listened to them a while ago when I was going through a prog rock phase (which consisted almost entirely of listening to Alan Parsons). I think I appreciated the music but got bored before the first song ended and didn’t listen to any more.

Like the rest of what I’ve seen of your musical taste, it’s made for people smarter than me.

You must #PERSIST

This is what Papa Papa was referring to:
Because you should.

giphy.gif

GAF isn't the same without you, to be honest. You abandoned me and what? expect your projection to be happy with it!?

giphy.gif

tumblr_mtlrl1ZHSg1ry72qjo1_500.gif

......come, join me in this dream world of shitposting and stop living the lie that you are a happily married Australian. Join me, Papa Papa , so we could grow old together!

original.gif

KOMANI

KOMANI
I remember digging the Justin Chancellor produced album of theirs. I believe he was on a few tracks too. I enjoyed them along with Neurosis.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My in-laws had a dog named Isis until she noped out to the astral plane a few months ago...taking her hiking and calling out to her sure got us some looks in more recent years.

Top Bottom