• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other games like Audiosurf?

So I've been regularly enjoying the eternal splendor that is Audiosurf, but I'm wondering if there are any other games like it which create gameplay based off of music tracks that you choose. I bought Beat Hazard off of Steam on an impulse as soon as I heard about it, but the game leaves a lot to be desired. It's flawed in a lot of ways that overpower its strengths (with "volume" powerups being one of the worst ideas I've ever seen).

Are there any games out there like this besides these two? Audiosurf has given me SOOO many hours of gameplay, but I'm starting to wish that there was something else. Like the Bit Trip games if you could choose tracks from your own collection. Anything like that?

None that work as well, Vib Ribbon on the PSX and Beats on the PSP atleast work on the same principle.

Frequency and Amplitude on the PS2 are more like Audiosurf but they don't allow the use of own songs.

Lumine

Vib Ribbon? Perhaps it's on PSN. It's a PSX platformer with levels created by your music, pretty cool stuff.

Maybe Wipeout HD? Some of the visual stuff acted differently depending on the music and you can use your own soundtrack. Purely visual though and only minor I think.

Ten-Song

remz said:
Phase on iPod? (kind of)

Phase is okay, but it really depends on the song you play. Some tracks end up with terrible note highways, while others play perfect.

I've never really played anything yet that actually reads songs as well as Audiosurf does.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
autobzooty said:
...(with "volume" powerups being one of the worst ideas I've ever seen)...

It sometimes amazes me how different people can have such contrasting opinions, I absolutely love the 'Volume Ups' in the game, I thought they were genius, I love my trance music and I like the volume high to help me get into the game and feel the sound waves more so the 'Volume Ups' are a massive reward for me and really make me want to stay alive to keep the volume higher, each time I grab one and the volume increases with the visual effects it just draws me in further and further, it's like a drug, you need that volume to help bolster your audio escapism.

chixdiggit

autobzooty said:
It's flawed in a lot of ways that overpower its strengths (with "volume" powerups being one of the worst ideas I've ever seen).

Really? I love the volume power up. It's part of what makes the game intense.

lowrider007 said:
It sometimes amazes me how different people can have such contrasting opinions, I absolutely love the 'Volume Ups' in the game, I thought they were genius, I love my trance music and I like the volume high to help me get into the game and feel the sound waves more so the 'Volume Ups' are a massive reward for me and really make me want to stay alive to keep the volume higher, each time I grab one and the volume increases with the visual effects it just draws me in further and further, it's like a drug, you need that volume to help bolster your audio escapism.

I thought it seemed like a good idea at first, but what it basically comes down to is that the game turns the volume DOWN, not up. Rather than feeling a reward for getting volume powerups, it just feels like a chore to keep it at the level I initially set my speakers at. It's a punishment, not a reward, and that's the core of the problem for me.

Another problem with that game is that it seems designed for only one type of music. Trance/techno and nothing else. It shouldn't be that the hardest parts of the song are when it gets most quiet, simply because they start throwing bosses at me and I have no firepower to deal with them. It's very frustrating.

Nabs said:
hey auto, which characters do you use in audiosurf?

I pretty much only do Ninja Mono on iron mode. The other stuff is way too hard/complicated for me, but if I turn on Iron Mode, Ninja Mono will usually be basically hard enough for a satisfying challenge. I should probably learn the other ones at some point :lol

Vinci

Danish
Audiosurf is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time in this industry. I love the hell out of it. I don't play it very often, just whenever I get an email letting me know one of my records is broken - and then I immediately go off and reclaim it. [Even made a couple of new friends based on this continuing conflict.]

Nabs

autobzooty said:
I pretty much only do Ninja Mono on iron mode. The other stuff is way too hard/complicated for me, but if I turn on Iron Mode, Ninja Mono will usually be basically hard enough for a satisfying challenge. I should probably learn the other ones at some point :lol

Yeah, I was in the same spot a while ago. I ended up learning pusher because I wanted to beat out a couple of gaffers on the leaderboards. The system is pretty deep (combos & bonuses), and works really well with the music.

Durante

There's Osu. It's admittedly quite different in that it does require someone to manually make a beatmap for each song, but considering that around 3000 are available from the official site there should be something from your music collection as well. I decided to mention it because it's similar in being based on music, the online leaderboards/competition and the "SOOO many hours of gameplay" factor if you do get into it, I probably played more hours of Osu in 2009 than any other 5 games combined. Oh, and it's free.

Top Bottom