• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Podcasts to recommend?

Hanon

Banned
What you do guys listen to? I used to listen to warning : a huge podcast and 4playerpodcast, but I stopped when warning didn't upload as much, and 4pp became a tired podcast that barely played new games. I'm interested in Colin's sacred symbols podcast but wished he covered the rest of gaming besides PlayStation

Grimmrobe

https://www.patreon.com/icycalm/posts?tag=Podcast & Livestream

I am sure you've seen me trash video "essays" and "podcasts", so you may be wondering why the change of heart. There really isn't one. I never had anything against chatting; I am only against replacing writing with chatting or with clowning on video. Obviously, I won't be replacing writing, so for me it's not an issue. I have always enjoyed chatting about games with friends, but since my school and university friends have all drifted off, and since none of them were passionate enough about games to keep up with me and my work throughout the years anyway, I figure why not replace those old friends with my readers, who know a lot more about games and follow my work closely?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Also lately I discovered Owen Benjamins youtube channel and am just absolutely loving his content. He's a hilarious comedian too.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is self promotion allowed here? Lol

That video game podcast is a fav

Last edited:

Nny7229

The Super Best Friendcast for weekly and Patch Notes for daily (since Mini Map died). If anyone has a good daily podcast rec I'm all ears.

I also listen to a ton of non-gaming related podcasts.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

this is pretty good. it is some of the Chapo guys interviewing Mike Reiss, one of the show runners & writers of The Simpsons, as well as co-creator of The Critic.

some great stories in here. this guy is really funny. personally i enjoy Chapo but they can get to be a bit much sometimes. this is one of the chiller, more politics-free episodes of the show.

Last edited:

ROMhack

My taste is rarely the same as people here but:

Axe of the Blood God is a good one, all about RPGs (disclaimer: the hosts are women if that bothers you).

I enjoy Gamecritics but it's more of a light, chatty one.

The Moving Pixel's Podcast is the best one I've found. It's dead now but the back catalogue is available if you want to listen to smart criticism without the politics.

Beyond games, the main Criterion Collection podcast is great (films). I also really like the BBC World Service Documentary series.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thanks for the recommendations, lots of stuff to try out. I didn't know about these genre-specific shows on RPGs. I love the level of specialized detail afforded with a narrower focus.

ZeMMiK

rebel Fm for 10 years (1st time listerner)
Giant Bomb
8-4 play
NerdCulture (Dutch)
Kopspijkers (dutch)

Then my Week is over....

Shifty

I rather enjoy Woolie Will Figure It Out, it goes into the challenge of undertaking creative projects only to have them fail, and what can be learned from the process over the course of such endeavours:

The basic format is bringing out old unfinished projects, showing them off and doing a bit of a post-mortem with a couple of guests.

Castle Super Beast (formerly the Super Best Friendcast) is another good one that covers current gaming topics in irreverent canadian fashion:

Terrible thumbnail though.

why even listen to podcasts at this point. what is there to talk about?

back in the day we used to get announcements at every e3, tgs sometimes gamescoms. sometimes events
almost never happens nowdays
Right? There's no way the podcast medium could extend outside of mainstream videogames and the lack of goings on in the PS4 space right now.

Truly a preposterous notion. Throw it all in the trash.

Last edited:

Breakage

Cane and Rinse
https://caneandrinse.com
They focus on one game per episode and explore the development history, gameplay, visuals, cultural impact, their first encounters [with the game], post-completion thoughts etc. I like the format because there's no Giant Bomb-style non-gaming bullshit – it's purely about the game.
I used to put it on at night to help me sleep and always felt as if I learned something new. It's the best gaming podcast I've come across.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Violence Island

featuring infamous video crank Tim Rogers. this older podcast is no longer available but can still be found via Internet Archive. it is a battle royale, with fictional & real world characters battling it out on the titular island. basically the equivalent of every "Could Superman beat Batman?" style argument from grade school. lots of video game characters are included. loads of fun hearing these battles get zanier and zanier.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160407154752/http://earthblows.com:80/

Last edited:

A.Romero

I listen to Giant bombcast regularly.

In Spanish (probably not what you are looking for but still...) Barcade VG and La Vejota (disclaimer: I'm part of it).

Last edited:

Jagz

Is there anything currently going that compares to GFW Radio? As in a mix of gaming and comedy.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Colin Moriarty's Sacred Symbols
Easy Allies Weekly Podcast and Frame Trap
Rand Al Thor's Xbox Podcast
ACG's (Karak) International Gaming Podcast
Mr. Matty Plays HAM Radio Podcast

I don't like short podcasts, since podcasts are something I like to listen to while doing prolonged mundane work. 3-4+ hours or it never happened.

I recommend itmeJP's dropped frames.

Shai-Tan

Banned
sub question: what are the good, short podcasts out of those? I've been listening to the Kotaku Splitscreen occasionally because it's shorter than some of the other ones that go on and on

edit: lol, didn't see the preceding comment. for me it's that I have 100 other non gaming podcasts and loads of audio books I could be listening to

Last edited:

Dinnell

Jocko Podcast. Without a doubt! He is covering a lot of heavy subjects. Most of them are war-related. His core message: "Discipline = Freedom" is great as well!

His TEDx Talk:

And some Clips from his Podcast:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Major Nelson's podcast was good years ago when it was weekly. Not much happening with it nowadays it seems though 🙁

DCDW

Technical Alpha is one of my favourites. Novawar and Maximus Black (from When Cheese Fails SC2 YT vids) go through gaming news and follow it up with movies and tv. They have good chemistry and I generally agree with their views and opinions.

HoodWinked

Giant bombcast is still my favorite though Ben really has made it much worse as he suffocates others from talking. Shows where hes out you get a much more balanced talk from everyone especially more Brad.

Cagcast is easy to listen to and reference 90s stuff which I grew up with and while cheapyd is kind of a scumbag wombat and shipwreck are great.

EZA I sort of stopped listening to regularly but if i run out of stuff in the queue I'll tune in. I think the reason it's not higher up for me personally is they play everything new, even obscure stuff and I dont. so I couldnt care less when they speak to it.

Birdo

Banned
I had to stop listening to Easy Allies. They only really cover games/genres that they like. They are quite narrow-minded.

Also, that one guy was insufferable (I don't need to say who , do I :messenger_neutral:)

My personal favorite has become The Game Informer Show. It stands above all others, for me. It has a great mix of gaming, news, comedy and chemistry.

And even though I can't stand the IGN website; Podcast Unlocked, Beyond and Unfiltered are all pretty solid casts by IGN.

And for what it's worth, I personally stay clear of Kinda and DLC.

zenspider

-8-4 Play (Japan focused with industry insight)
-Easy Allies (most fun and enthusiastic)
-Cane & Rinse (long-form deep dive discussions of released games)

Giant Bomb is really popular, but to me they are the "warm take" of gaming media: really dull taste and obvious opinions. Every once in a while they surprise, but for me it's not worth sifting through the chaff.

afedock

Neo Member
I actually really like CheapyD. Been listening for like 13 years and he seems like a great guy. Not sure how you get a scumbag vibe.

decisions

Sacred Symbols replaced EZA for me over time. EZA is definitely better than KF nowadays, but I still feel like there’s so much fluff besides the interesting stuff and a lot of their traditions/bits aren’t very funny IMO.

Fbh

Well since this got revived. Any good podcasts which focuses on interviews with people from the industry (people actually working on games, not "journalists" interviewing each other).

I still listed and enjoy the EZA podcast but it mostly focuses on news

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
In the past few months I started listening to a podcast called Nestalgia. It’s basically a few twenty-something friends who are a bit too young to have grown up with the NES, but are attempting to play through the entire NES catalogue of games chronologically and analyse them with a contemporary lense.

I didn’t think I would enjoy it as I thought a bunch of young uns opinions on old games would suck, but I’ve found it interesting to hear what they think about games made before their time. They are intelligent young men and have some clever opinions.

They’ve done about 80 odd episodes so far and I’ve slowly listened to most of them.

If you need a podcast to fill some time, this is a good one. Episodes are relatively short (about 20-30 minutes each).

Top Bottom