• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any PSN/XBLA hidden gems, unsung games?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I usually don't hear much about the games on PSN/XBLA unless they are a typical big release (Journey, Bastion) or they are well received (Renegade Ops). There are a ton out there that don't get a lot of buzz past maybe the first day/week they release. So, any good suggestions on maybe some unheralded downloadable games?

Aeana

Outland got a bit more fanfare than most, but for some reason it's been seemingly totally buried. The delayed release on PSN due to the hacking might have had something to do with it. Either way, it's an absolutely amazing game (IMO) that I wish more people would give a try to.

On XBLA, the Half Minute Hero port is absolutely fantastic and worth everyone's time.

Mr Jared

I wish Go Go Break Steady had gotten more attention.

MqLHR.jpg

It's an XBLA title that combines the puzzle elements of Zuma with simple rhythm games. Features some really great animation and unique gameplay. I loved playing this locally with friends but it just never had any buzz around it.

Atruvius

Rochard on PSN and Steam is a pretty great sidescrolling platformer/puzzle game. It's pretty long too, for downloadable sidescroller, around 6 hours to finish the campaign.

rochard-4e8b2d1-intro.png

Gong

I quite enjoyed Sideways on PSN, great soundtrack and fun to play. Shuggy needs more love as well.

Tizoc

If you like Puzzle Platformers, check out Toki Tori on PSN.
Also Might & Magic Clash of Heroes.

Rochard on PSN and Steam is a pretty great sidescrolling platformer/puzzle game. It's pretty long too, for downloadable sidescroller, around 6 hours to finish the campaign.

rochard-4e8b2d1-intro.png

Yes!!! Truly a fantastic game.

I'm also going to say, Age of Booty. It's sort of a MOBA/RTS boiled down to it's most basic components but there's enough hidden depth in there that it allows for high level play. Tonnes of fun in multiplayer.

Here are a few, I'll try to post some more later:

997473_171446.jpg

Hard Corps: Uprising
Tasty Contra-like goodness. All the power-ups you're used to plus a few unique twists. The extra characters are fun and bring something different to the table, like the sword using Sayuri.

989926_159635.jpg

Blade Kitten
If you're a fan of games like Ratchet & Clank or and Jak and Daxter, you'll probably like Blade Kitten. It's pretty silly, I really liked the characters, and there are some pretty lol dialog in the game.

961275_139492.jpg
614524_189763.jpg
620242_196603.jpg

Alien Breed Trilogy
If you enjoyed Dead Nation or those obscure 'Reloaded' games back in the PSX era you'll more than likely enjoy the Alien Breed Trilogy of games. Great atmosphere and weapon variety with lots of top-down action. I really enjoyed how they would sometimes limit your ammo and force you to use your environment to get the most out of what you have.

StuBurns

Banned
It got coverage at the time, but doesn't seem to have held the public perception for most people, but PokerSmash on XBLA is rad.

Ocaso

I really enjoyed Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and while it wasn't exactly an underground release, I rarely see it get as much credit as it deserves. I, for one, enjoyed it more than Outland, which was already mentioned.

JaseMath

logo-600x250.jpg

I thought Rocket Knight was pretty fun, even though the art style does kind of suck and it can't hold the penis' of it's predecessors.

Herb

Banned
Well, if we're going with obvious choices like ^ all those. Then The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai and Tomb Raider: Guardian of the Light are really great games. The latter I think everyone should have played by now.

But if you don't mind PSN Mini's then there are a few genuinely UNSUNG titles, literally, like Archibald's Adventure and Karoshi.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hard Corps Uprising and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light are my two favorite PSN game purchases.

Hard_Corps_cover.png
Lara_Croft_and_the_Guardian_of_Light.png

Hard Corps has an extremely challenging trophy pack that compliments the game better than any other pack I've attempted completion. The game itself is a really fun Contra platformer with alot of interesting movement and attack options like air dashes, bullet reflect and counter/evade allowing for alot more play variety than usually found in these games. Tons of secrets to learn and master. Favorite game of the year it came out. ArcSys showing they know more than fighting games.

Guardian of Light is just an excellent co-op game. Does what alot of Co-Op games overlook and split abilities between the two players forcing them to work together to progress. Mechanics are applied pretty creatively making solving some of the puzzles extremely satisfying with another player, especially the challenge rooms. Alot of unlockables to get for solo players, but I think the game is at its best experienced for the first time with another person. The perfect girlfriend game.

I'll throw out the first Deathspank. I'd say its unsung because the sequel was just a few months later and I think a lot of people were put off by that decision and at the time viewed the first one as incomplete or too expensive. The humor can get pretty dumb and the combat is fairly simple but its a fun loot driven action RPG that has some good voice acting and some genuinely funny moments. Plus the game looks amazing, I love the way the world scrolls

jayb

supersonic acrobatic rocketfueled battle cars

also, not really a hidden jem, but i'll list it anyway... PixelJunk Monsters.

625932_203925.jpg

BloodRayne: Betrayal
Great Castlevania-like gameplay with a twist. You have blades and a various projectile weapons collection through the game. You can also sap blood from enemies to refill your health, and you'll need to, believe me. Be warned, this game is challenging.

605304_270902.jpg

Malicious
Plays much like a Mega Man game in concept, except rather than slogging through a huge stage to get to a small room with a boss, they throw the boss into the huge room and you duke it out there. After each battle you gain an ability or weapon type that you can take into the other battles. You're also ranked on each battle so there's some great replay value if you want to strive for that S rank.

997564_171644.jpg

Moon Diver
Often called a spiritual spin-off to the Strider series. This game really shines in it's coop play in my opinion. You can play up to 4-player online coop slashing through stages and bosses with team up attacks which amplify the effect of the skill for every character participating. It's great fast paced hack and slash fun.

953371_112520.jpg
973238_140199.jpg

Soldner-X Collection
Fans of horizontal scrolling shmups like R-Type and Gradius will feel right at home with this. It's not up to the same calibur, but if you're itching for some new shmup stages, I think it's worth the price. Fun fact: strangely enough these two were done by the team behind the recent SRPG 'Rainbow Moon'.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hard Corps: Uprising is super dope and I'mma give it another vote.

But anyway, my pick would be ...

f1QDR.jpg

Guwange. Insanely pretty art, beautiful music, and some of my absolute favorite Cave bosses. Actually, I'd go so far as to say I think this is probably my favorite Cave game, period. Love it love it love it. If you're into STGs at all, give it a chance. Only 800 points, too.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Outland got a bit more fanfare than most, but for some reason it's been seemingly totally buried. The delayed release on PSN due to the hacking might have had something to do with it. Either way, it's an absolutely amazing game (IMO) that I wish more people would give a try to.

On PSN this is currently free if you are a PS+ subscriber.

Top Bottom