• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason why the WiiU *won't* dominate Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Talking about this makes me miss the days when it seemed like every major Japanese publisher had their own staple RPG franchise. It was like a thing they had to have that helped differentiate them:

Square - Final Fantasy
Enix - Dragon Quest
Namco - Tales of
Capcom - Breath of Fire
Sega - Phantasy Star
Konami - Suikoden
Nintendo - Mario RPG/Fire Emblem

Man. What happened to that.

Complete home console apathy is the only possible reason. That or Sony literally gains exclusive rights to every major third party Japanese IP for the next four years.

- Focus on handhelds/mobile.
- Big publishers will probably play it safe targeting PS4/X720 since they are also big in the other markets and are much more predictable.

The lack of Sony 1st party sellers in Japan pretty much guarantees it will. Now this doesn't mean JPN 3rd party support will be great because the big Japanese publishers will be targeting the west. Japan is much more likely to put multiplatform stuff on Wii U than the west though. Honestly the console state in Japan isn't really worth using the word dominating imo because if I had to guess I would say Wii U probably won't even reach Wii sales in Japan. And I'm not expecting more than 5-6 million for the PS4

The one thing that pushes PS3 in its biggest market (Europe) is first party games but almost the entire stable of first party games are geared toward the West. Before Japanese were held back on Wii because of the HD thing and they could make up for sales by making 360 SKU's but now I feel the tech is perfect for Japanese devs so the WiiU may become the lead platform for them. Even if the PS4 is super powerful and Western devs flock to that and the new MS machine I think Japanese devs will look at the WiiU as "good enough".

Shahed

I fully expect to use my Wii U a lot more than my Wii. I'd be surprised if the Japanese support wouldn't go there.

I mean big games that sell worldwide, will still be on PS4. But the smaller games that mainly sell in Japan? I anticipate Wii U is where they'll be at. Except Yakuza and maybe Tales which have a good chance of sticking with PS4

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think the odds are very very good Wii U sells the most hardware out of the most generation.

It will undoubtedly sell the most software, including first party.

I think it is a question mark whether it will develop a profitable and healthy ecosystem for core 3rd party efforts, but I do think the early signs are encouraging.

FF is supported on the 360 and Square can't even barely get games out for the PS3 like versus or FFXIV. Why wouldn't they support the WiiU? Square and Nintendo used to be tight and NCL are all anout courting Japanese developers.

And again, not sure MGS is a big draw to Japanese audiences.

The main games that sell well in the west like FF will remain on the xbox and ps4 I would guess. So if you're looking to say all the main games will be Wii U exclusive or even ported to the Wii U you're likely mistaken given the generational leap that will jump over the Wii U.

Rolf NB

I want to see the first couple months of sales numbers first. I think it's too expensive and has little, if any, incremental appeal over established, cheaper systems. But you never really know how consumers will react.

Celine

Talking about this makes me miss the days when it seemed like every major Japanese publisher had their own staple RPG franchise. It was like a thing they had to have that helped differentiate them:

Square - Final Fantasy
Enix - Dragon Quest
Namco - Tales of
Capcom - Breath of Fire
Sega - Phantasy Star
Konami - Suikoden
Nintendo - Mario RPG/Fire Emblem

Man. What happened to that.
Production costs rising coupled with dim interest in the genre in the japanese markets meant many of them ceased to exists or were given spin-off episode on handhelds.

One reason is that the PS3 is cheaper!

By how much? In the US, the MSRP for a newly made PS3 is only $30 less than a WiiU. What is the price difference in Japan?

The main games that sell well in the west like FF will remain on the xbox and ps4 I would guess. So if you're looking to say all the main games will be Wii U exclusive or even ported to the Wii U you're likely mistaken given the generational leap that will jump over the Wii U.

I'm saying that Japanese made games will lead on the WiiU and be ported to the PS4. Western devs will remain MS/Sony next gen as Western gamers care more about tech, social features, and online.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not a portable.

It lacks abundance of compelling home console software (obviously, any launch does).

The competition hasn't shown how they plan to compete.

MonHun port and DQ MMO port alone don't cut it even if they do well for themselves.

People pointing to MonHun and cheering probably don't know the 360 and PS3 also got MonHun ports over there.

RedSwirl

Production costs rising coupled with dim interest in the genre in the japanese markets meant many of them ceased to exists or were given spin-off episode on handhelds.

Did the Japanese market really lose interest in RPGs? I don't think so. And if anything, RPGs have gotten even more popular in the west, or at least games with RPG elements.

It lacks compelling home console software (obviously, any launch does).
It launches with New Super Mario Bros. U and a port of Monster Hunter 3G, the latter bundled with the Deluxe consoles. Japan eats up anything New Super Mario Bros. and Monster Hunter. I think it'd be compelling to that market.

StuBurns

Banned
The only reason I could imagine is if the Wii market have pretty much settled on the 3DS, and don't need a home system, and the core pick up an Orbis, but I doubt it.

Rolf NB

By how much? In the US, the MSRP for a newly made PS3 is only $30 less than a WiiU. What is the price difference in Japan?
Wii U basic: SRP 26500 Yen
Wii U Premium: SRP 31500 Yen
PS3 3k 160GB: (Amazon) 23700 Yen
PS3 4k 250GB: (Amazon) 23700 Yen
PS3 4k 500GB: (Amazon) 28400 Yen

The 12GB PS3 4k has not been announced for Japan (yet).

The entry prices are not far apart.
But the cheapest PS3 already offers a lot more storage than even the premium Wii U package, at 8000 Yen less.

The majority of GAF seems to be predicting that the Wii U will be an underpowered console that will be dreamcasted once the "true" next gen consoles arrive.
I dunno if a majority has been saying that, but there has been a fairly vocal sect, yes. It's not entirely illogical - it's pretty much a fact that the other two consoles will be, in one way or another, more powerful than the Wii U will be. That doesn't guarantee the console will fail, though, as the first Wii proved, although conversely there's no guarantees that the addition of a second screen is going to light the world on fire like motion controls did.

It's a huge wild card as to its acceptance in the West, from what I see.

The majority of GAF seems to be predicting that the Wii U will be an underpowered console that will be dreamcasted once the "true" next gen consoles arrive.

which is complete ignorant of *why* the dreamcast was killed and amusingly reminiscent of all the people who made similar claims about the 360.

Linkup

It really could be the wrong time to introduce any type of expensive console. There really isn't any reason to NOT port your game up or down to PS3/Wii U, unless your game extensively uses the gamepad and even then you could have the PS3 port team hack the Wii U version up to make it work on PS3. Capcom is doing a PS3/3DS game, why not a PS3/Wii U/3DS game? You can add in PSV if the sales ever pick up.

To me Japan seems the least likely to jump onto new consoles, they already had a mess making 360/PS3 games early on and they are going to go through that again?!?! They really don't seem prepared. The big western pubs/devs will definitely jump on new consoles, but it's almost like Japan is jumping off the current consoles let alone jumping onboard any new ones.

So depending on the situation, more porting, more portable development, and largely a worse/extreme version of last generation. Wii U may just end up joining the pack rather than leading it. There is always some kind of unknown so we have to wait and see what that is and where it takes things.

The WiiU is underpowered for Western developers but for Eastern developers I think it will be good enough. Remember, this thread is about Japan only.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
First off, this isn't about worldwide and isn't about the US or PAL regions. I'm talking strictly Japan. And in my mind, MS doesn't even launch their next system there.

And I don't mean take it... or win it, I mean dominate it like the NES did.
Japan is a little behind tech wise and have concentrated on handheld tech along with many games staying in Japan so I feel that the WiiU is perfect for Japanese developers and they will flock to it making it their lead system. Take that they have Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest so the only huge franchise is Final Fantasy but I feel that is just an announcement away. Japan for the most part has only been a one system region.

So is there any big compelling reason why WiiU won't dominate Japan this gen? How can they mess up with a full year with no competition and Western developers not in the picture along with most in the nation not caring about online.

Could a PS4 with a heavy Western game library gain traction after the WiiU has been established for so long? Will Japanese devs not named Kojima wait for a PS system over the easier WiiU?

I think that:

It's a home console, so it will probably be in second place behide 3DS in terms of general reception and third party support, on that market

It doesn' have the same strong selling point of the Wii (first console with motion sensor)

It doesn't have a reliable third party support despite the Wii success, and a lot of third party will prefer to support PS3 (that is selling good amount of software for traditional Japanese games) and obviously 3DS

It will be able to sell well in Japan, also better than PS3 and PS4 in the bridge-time in-between the two Sony's consoles, if:

The Gamepad and in particular the off-tv gameplay will become a fever in Japan in the first period

The Nintendo IPs will not suffer too much fatigue compared to the previous generation (repeat Wii's firts party sales number will be almost impossible, imho)

Third party traditional games (this time present from the beginnin and not three years after the launch as for the Wii), such as MH and Mosou games from Tecmo-Koei - and DQ but it's a particular game being MMORPG - will sell decently compared to PS3 iterations or similar products (because I think that being on the console from the beginning could help some genre that underperformed on the Wii to sell at least decently, pushing some third parties to support the Wii U at least with multiplatform products with PS3)

kitsuneyo

If PS4 comes out next year and is both amazing and affordable, WiiU might not dominate. Otherwise it should have no probs taking Japan's home console crown.

PS3 is currently out-selling Wii by about 3:1. Obviously there are other factors in play, but Nintendo will need to learn a lot of lessons from its Wii mistakes.

If it can market the casual crowd, sure.

That's the one unknown in my mind. Wii managed to appeal to people who either hadn't purchased a gaming console, or hadn't purchased one in some time (some since the 80s).

These new customers aren't used to buying a new machine every 5-7 years. It will be interesting to see how many are willing to upgrade, or if they're satisfied with what they have (or over games entirely).

That said, I think it will sell very well.

Celine

Did the Japanese market really lose interest in RPGs? I don't think so. And if anything, RPGs have gotten even more popular in the west, or at least games with RPG elements.
Take away Mario RPG, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and a few odd ones like Inazuma Eleven (Europe) or Dragon Quest (when "pushed") what's the RPG from Japan that sell good (and for good I mean really *good*) in the west ?

Japan is still the main market for japanese developed RPG but RPGs as a genre is down compared the past (SNES/PS1) no doubt.
Look at some PS1 charts if you can.
That is in a time when if you want to push graphics in a content-rich genre like RPG it come at a cost that mean you need to sell a minimum number of units to be worth to do it.

It's no surprise we witnessed a shift onto handhelds this past generation.

eh, it's mostly people who think history repeats a lot that make the dumb comparisons and predictions, while ignoring everything that makes this situation unique.

I think history repeats a lot, however this situation being compared to the Dreamcast makes no sense. It might seem a little base to say this, but Nintendo is not Sega and similarly their stature in the industry now vs. when the Dreamcast launched was nothing alike.

Similarly, the PS3 transitioning to PS4 is often compared to PS1 to PS2, for no other reason that I can fathom but symmetry in numbered consoles.

History is a great barometer for the future - as long as you're not so rigid to assume that whatever happened in the past will happen verbatim in the future.

Well, considering the PS3 isn't dominating the video gaming landscape like the PS1 did... yeah, the situations aren't at all comparable.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Because Japanese gamers will be too busy playing their 3DSes to notice...

(personally I'm strongly hoping that WiiU will usher in a new golden era of Japanese games on consoles)

gryz

Banned
Probably referring to how most of the population still has SD Televisions, one reason why the wii wasn't HD.

this is one of those things that gets mentioned all the time but hasn't really been true in my experience. last time i was in japan (2008) everyone had an hdtv.

also yes I'm at least hoping that wii u becomes the main Japanese console.

Because Japanese gamers will be too busy playing their 3DSes to notice...

(personally I'm strongly hoping that WiiU will usher in a new golden era of Japanese games on consoles)

I feel that if you are a gamer that mostly buys Japanese games the WiiU will be your main system next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom