• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason why the WiiU *won't* dominate Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The metric is that Nintendo looked at what games were registered along with a new system registration through Club Nintendo, and used that to determine what game the system was purchased for.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129/05.html

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus are both at the link along with the other "big" sellers on Wii. Wii Fit/Plus were clearly the major "system sellers" in all regions as shown by this metric.
It's an interesting metric, and I'm sure Wii Fit drove some sales - but similar to simply looking at attach rates, I don't think it delineates the Wii Sports/motion control effect from software sales or more broadly for any system, a large installed base - developed by numerous/other factors - driving software sales. Presumably people don't need to register Wii Sports with Club Nintendo.

I don't think these titles that sold astronomical numbers (NSMB, Wii Fit) on the Wii, can necessarily be counted on to actually drive a successor's sales substantially in isolation - as I think their sales were a function of the system's popularity to a (large) extent. A similar scenario can probably be applied to titles from the PS2 era, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy.

That's without looking at successors to these breakout hit style games (Brain Training, Nintendogs) on successor systems - that didn't manage to drive sales substantially.

Do you expect Wii Fit U to sell like its predecessors and/or to substantially drive sales in a sustained fashion?

donny2112

Do you expect Wii Fit U to sell like its predecessors and/or to substantially drive sales in a sustained fashion?

I expect it to drive some sales in a prolonged fashion, yes. It may not be a huge bump, but I do expect it to sell systems as a long-legged seller. I also think it would behoove Nintendo to plan a price cut on Wii U around the Wii Fit U release date to give double the reason to buy the system, since it doesn't have that "default" Wii Sports, like you said. I don't think it'll sell as much as Wii Fit/Plus (I see it as another expansion on Wii Fit, sort of), but I do think it'll do "okay." > 500K in the first 12 months of availability in Japan seems like a decent target with some room for an upside.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Only MH is a big deal. Everything else besides zombiu not only has a ps3 version, but also has little appeal in Japan to begin with.

So you're assuming Wii Fit U will have the same selling power as the Wii version? And that Nintendo Land will be a similar hit as Wii Sports? Because it would have to for the system to sell more than the Wii.

DQX is a late port of a Wii MMO. Despite the brand, it's not going to push many units.

Wii U third party can't be better than what the ps3 got this gen, simply because of multiplatform. PS3 avoided that problem in Japan because 360 is dead and the Wii wasn't strong enough, so it's third party games were effectively exclusive.

This guy is a friggin soothsayer

Err. Ooops didn't mean to bump - was wrong tab lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody with a copy of Raiden v can check the leaderboards to see how many there are and so we could extrapolate some kind of number? Game is online-heavy so it shouldn't be too far from the actual number. Or maybe not but still better than nothing at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom