• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any recommendation for Escape Room like movies, tv shows or video games?

levyjl1988

Banned
So far I watched or played:

The World Ends with You
Zero Escape Series: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine doors / Zero Escape: Last Virtue / Zero Time Dilemna
Battle Royale 1 & 2
The Hunger Games series / Catching Fire/ Mockingjay
The Mazerunner series / The Deathcure / The Scorch Trials
The Saw series: Saw I, II, III, IV, V, VI, 3D, Jigsaw
Cube series / Cube 2: Hypercube/ Cube: Zero
Hunter x Hunter (during the hunter exams and greed island)
Alice in Borderland (on Netflix)

I'm looking for a series, movie, game or TV show where players are trapped in a room or arena and have to survive through a series of trials using their wit and creative problem solving to figure it out.
There is an element of player psychology, game master, social dysfunction, etc with each player having their own unique background or specialty to see how they can approach the problems.
It doesn't have to necessarily be horror related like The Amazing Race or Treasure Hunters (2006) or National Treasure.
I enjoy the eureka moment where they could have avoided the most loss through something so simple, but something with higher consequences such as death is quite interesting.

Any suggestions?

AmuroChan

Games: Danganronpa 1-3

TV: Sherlock (not the whole series, but there are story arcs with escape room type elements)

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
The imaginatively named Escape Room is alright.

Maybe Exam as a decent film along a similar theme, but a bit different.
Just watched Exam on Amazon Prime, had to get a trial sub to watch it and quickly cancel auto-renewal, it was pretty good especially at the end, it makes you want to dismantle every word mentioned.
Escape Room (2019) is on Netflix and there are two versions, I'm gonna watch the (2017) one, also on Netflix.

I also heard Another (anime/manga) is also similar, No Game No Life, and Kakegurui, also in Netflix, but those are games similar to the shadow games from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Liar

Banned
w6S9LCN.png

INC

Escape plan, its sly and arnie thats actually alright considering

Don't expect to much tho

Last edited:

Arkam

Check out the film “Cube”. But be warned it’s fairly graphic if I remember right. Whole premise of the film is that an unknown number of people are trapped in a Cube that is made up of smaller cubes(rooms) with doors on all 6 sides and the characters must sold puzzles to open them.

Edit: Just saw you listed Cube as something you have seen. My b

Also might want to check out old school Adventure games like Monkey Island. Multiple points in the series you are “locked in” a space and have to solve puzzles to escape.

Last edited:

INC

Check out the film “Cube”. But be warned it’s fairly graphic if I remember right. Whole premise of the film is that an unknown number of people are trapped in a Cube that is made up of smaller cubes(rooms) with doors on all 6 sides and the characters must sold puzzles to open them.

Edit: Just saw you listed Cube as something you have seen. My b

Also might want to check out old school Adventure games like Monkey Island. Multiple points in the series you are “locked in” a space and have to solve puzzles to escape.

Nice, broken sword is also worth looking into. Great puzzle games

Fbh

Slightly off topic but there's some escape room themed board games which are pretty fun if you can get 1-3 other people to join

Like the "Exit" games for example
Exit-the-game-1024x550.jpg

Not exactly the cheapest option since they are single use and around $15 (when not on sale). But if you get 2 other people and share the cost it's like $5 each for 1,5 - 2 hours of fun.

Last edited:

Sevenfold

Not strictly what you're looking for but Gantz: O might be worth a look. The 2017 CGI is awesome and the live actions are quirky low budget-but-inventive fun... the anime was written by a horny 14 year old and has some really good moments among all the shite. I should check the manga out sometime.

Edit: Was about to post the trailer but holy shit what a spoiler fest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom