• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody have experience with Amazon KDP Publishing?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Well... What an utter rollercoaster of a few days this has been.

For those that don’t know, Amazon KDP is their publishing service for authors to put their own books on and, well, publish them. Either paperback or kindle ebook.

In theory it’s great. You make your book, you upload it, they take a small part of the cost for themselves and for making it, and you get a tidy bit of cash for each sold. No up front cost or anything.

But the reality? Ohhh boy...

Imagine if you will, I want you to paint my house a certain way, in a certain colour. Only... I won’t tell you how. Or what colour. Or fuck You, even where the house is. Welcome to KDP!

So it goes like this: Write a book, illustrate it, create your cover, and upload it to the site. Oh you want a cover? Ok that’s got to be AxB in size. Only not that size. Or that. Hey why don’t you just wing it, because we won’t actually tell you what was wrong with the last one, other than a vague description. Your text? Fine! Only allow us to mess up all your formatting. For reasons.

That may not be so bad. I’m sure most people are used to trial and error. But the problem comes from the service itself. It takes no less than a day, to see a change you have made. Which means changing small things becomes a royal pain in the ass.

Anyway, I think I’m finally ready to go, and should be ok... maybe... I’ve just uploaded another cover change, but have to wait for it.

So yeah, does anybody else have any experience with publishing in general?

Look for “Big Ass Butt Plugs - What Colour Works For You” in shelves soon.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does Amazon not have a draft or a preview button

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Does Amazon not have a draft or a preview button

Of course they do. But it’s an AI checker. So it usually would come back fine, with no errors, only for some human to pick it up later because he’s a bit too anal.

And even then, the kindle preview for example doesn’t have the same formatting as the final kindle version. Brilliant.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Trial and error that shit then. Start with short stories.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
As I said, trial and error is fine, but when you’re looking at a days wait between every tiny change... man is it tedious.

Top Bottom