• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody knows anything else about Mass Efect PS3 being announced this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the past weeks, in some Spanish webs (like Meristation or Vandal), there have been floating around some rumours about a special announcement from EA for PS3 coming this week. It seems that a special edition of Mass Effect is coming to the sony console later this year. Anybody knows anything else about it? Thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
First I've heard of this, but I hope its true, if just for more people to give the game a go.

Though if BioWare improve or change anything in either the first or second game, I fucking expect to get them too.

Robinspain said:
During the past weeks, in some Spanish webs (like Meristation or Vandal), there have been floating around some rumours about a special announcement from EA for PS3 coming this week. It seems that a special edition of Mass Effect is coming to the sony console later this year. Anybody knows anything else about it? Thanks!

About 1% chance of this happening. Wishful thinking.

FrankT

I suppose it is possible. If you say a 6 month timed window on ME2 that would have ended in July, which originally is what they ( Bioware) had talked about early on after EA took over. Not necessarily six months, but I do remember a “short period” specifically. PR could certainly be around the corner. Whether or not both games I suppose that is a different question.

EatChildren said:
Though if BioWare improve or change anything in either the first or second game, I fucking expect to get them too.

Well that would include Sony getting an HD game later, which I believe would kick-in the whole has to add content deal. Could be mistaken, but I could see something like that happening.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
threenote said:
The window for this to happen has long passed.

Depends on what they want to do with the next in the series. If they want it to be multiplatform they kind of have to at least attempt to put the franchise on the system ahead of that.

It want to be a pretty special edition though. I think Sony in fact insists on extra 'stuff' if a version is not day and date.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering if the rumors from Meristation and Vandal are reliable.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
ULTROS! said:
Just wondering if the rumors from Meristation and Vandal are reliable.
Meristation :lol :lol

But in this case they stole the rumor from Vandal, and I can vouch for the authenticity of the person that posted it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, EA's press event at Gamescom is tomorrow, so if its true I guess we'll find out then.

EatChildren

jorma said:
You do know that you can kill someone and steal his xbox, right?

Dude, stealing is wrong.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
jorma said:
You do know that you can kill someone and steal his xbox, right?

PS3 =/= Xbox 360

Busty

Banned
Just a matter of time before the Mass Effect franchise comes to the PS3.

Ideally we will see a ME double pack with the first two games released on one Blu Ray.

Failing that, ME3 day and date across PS3, 360 and PC.

ULTROS!

badcrumble said:
I've also heard pretty confident word of this.

Any sources? :p

V_Ben

Banned
_dementia said:
If it's both games + all DLC on one BD, I'd be so down for that.

Agreed. I finished ME1 on 360 though, but I wouldn't mind replaying it if it was a great version (loading fixed, etc.)

Peff

One of the sources is a Sony Spain employee which has already leaked other stuff like Quest for Booty, he doesn't actually say it's a Mass Effect though, just an EA game. We'll see.

sflufan

Banned
I just can't think of any other games that would qualify as a "special" announcement from EA for the PS3...

...wait, I just did: the Left 4 Dead series!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
sflufan said:
I just can't think of any other games that would qualify as a "special" announcement from EA for the PS3...

...wait, I just did: the Left 4 Dead series!
With Valve on the PS3 train I doubt EA would have anything to do with ports anymore.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
Peff said:
One of the sources is a Sony Spain employee which has already leaked other stuff like Quest for Booty, he doesn't actually say it's a Mass Effect though, just an EA game. We'll see.
He merely stole another user's post and claimed it as his own insider info. Regardless of where he works, he doesn't know shit about this.

I never understood that whole 'it's too late' mentality, reminds me of when bioshock came to ps3, some were 'well now it's not hot anymore, so too bad ps3, maybe next time'

A great game is a great game, one, two, or three years after or not. Mass Effect rank high in this generation's RPGs (not that the bar was set high), and anyone who hasn't played them would be a fool to pass them jsut because they cannot serve as ammo for the console warz.

They certainly are very close to my favorite experience on the HD consoles / PC this gen. warmly recommended.

Peff

chubigans said:
With Valve on the PS3 train I doubt EA would have anything to do with ports anymore.

They might be publishing... Regardless, another person "confirmed" that this isn't Left 4 Dead.

EDIT: ^^Ah, well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
chubigans said:

EA would be the publisher still. But yeah, it would be more a Valve thing.

Interesting. If this happens, I'd be surprised to see it include the first game (which was published by Microsoft and probably has more restrictions built in on where it can get ported) but bringing the second game to PS3 in preparation for a multiplat third release makes perfect sense.

ULTROS! said:
PS3 =/= Xbox 360

Even in jest, the idea that someone would kill to have a videogame ported to their favored corporate machinebox of choice, but wouldn't steal a different corporate machinebox solely for purposes of playing the game, is pretty embarrassing. :lol

harriet the spy said:
I never understood that whole 'it's too late' mentality

Well, let's go over this. With Bioshock:

• The game was widely available on 360 and PC for $20 or less basically everywhere by the time the PS3 version came out, which meant anyone who had any ability to play it on a different platform would've already done so.
  • The game had extremely minimal extra content on PS3, so it wasn't worth a double dip, and was priced at the full $60 even though it was much cheaper elsewhere.
  • As a result basically nobody bought the game on PS3 so it was kind of too late for the publisher (who didn't profit much on the port) and for the gamers (most of whom presumably played the game on PC or something rather than wait around for a port.)

With this it's kind of the same thing: at this stage, who wants to play Mass Effect 2 that doesn't have a 360 or a decent gaming PC, but wants to play it so badly that they'll pay $60 right out of the gate? Probably not all that many people. (Although if they can do something like an ME1+2 combo pack for $60 that changes the calculus entirely.)

The real benefit here is if it means a full 360/PS3/PC day-and-date multiplatform release of ME3.

Majine

Banned
charlequin said:
Even in jest, the idea that someone would kill to have a videogame ported to their favored corporate machinebox of choice, but wouldn't steal a different corporate machinebox solely for purposes of playing the game, is pretty embarrassing. :lol

If you're gonna take it seriously, I guess.

charlequin said:
Interesting. If this happens, I'd be surprised to see it include the first game (which was published by Microsoft and probably has more restrictions built in on where it can get ported) but bringing the second game to PS3 in preparation for a multiplat third release makes perfect sense.

My guess with regard to ME1 is that it'd be something like the Ninja Gaiden Sigma II stuff. Enough alteration of content that it's not a "port." Whether including both of the games on one BD would be enough to consider it a 'different game,' or whether it'd require more stuff like back-porting the ME2 combat system or upgrading it to a much more current version of UE3.0 is anybody's guess. :)

It would make the most sense to have ME1 and ME2 on one blu-ray with a lot of the DLC. Then when the 3rd goes MP, everyone can enjoy that from the beginning.

V_Ben

Banned
badcrumble said:
My guess with regard to ME1 is that it'd be something like the Ninja Gaiden Sigma II stuff. Enough alteration of content that it's not a "port." Whether including both of the games on one BD would be enough to consider it a 'different game,' or whether it'd require more stuff like back-porting the ME2 combat system or upgrading it to a much more current version of UE3.0 is anybody's guess. :)

I sincerely hope that this is what happens :D

Majine said:
If you're gonna take it seriously, I guess.

I'm making fun of ULTROS!, not you. Kill on, sir Bandicoot!

badcrumble said:
Whether including both of the games on one BD would be enough to consider it a 'different game,' or whether it'd require more stuff like back-porting the ME2 combat system or upgrading it to a much more current version of UE3.0 is anybody's guess. :)

Either of those would be kind of a bad investment-to-payoff ratio, I think. Better to just add new quest chains, weapons, and an extra PC to each game since those things are really visible and easy to show off in screenshots but wouldn't require completely rebalancing the game or drawing up too many new assets.

De-mon

Robinspain said:

99% anounce will be made at Gamescom ;-) Game is coming this year.

Edit: más noticias en Vandal XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom