• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone avoiding games with loot boxes this Fall and beyond?

Yeah. I actually cancelled my pre-order for Forza 7 Ultimate Edition. Couldn't justify the cost and on top of that the stripping back of features to accomodate the loot boxes was the final nail in the coffin. DLC and season passes should be sufficient for single player driven games none of this loot crate nonsense...

Crayon

It's mostly cookie cutter games that have this. No problem skipping them for an alternative.

We let this go too far at this point. Time to stop.

Where do you draw the line? I don't know. We crossed it somewhere miles back.

I avoid pretty much every game with loot boxes, been a great year so far.

I haven't seen a single game that interests me in this thread, so I guess I avoid them by nature.

THIS.

These games just seems generic and boring, most of them belongs to the dude-bro culture. They are the kind of games that will never ever be anyone's favorite game of all time, they are neither unique or special.

patchday

I still have bad flashbacks of the paid loot boxes from Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I've made it a priority to avoid games of this ilk ever since.

Now if I still get BF2 its for single player only at a severe discount. Definitely not full price and for sure won't touch online

But so many great games coming out for the Switch that doesnt have loot boxes BF2 is an easy pass for me

Not wholesale, no. But I will not buy specific games because of their specific loot box implementation.

Shadow of War and Star Wars are two of them. Forza I wouldn't buy anyway but if I was into that series I would have skipped it.

I generally dont play multiplayer games anyways so its easy for me to boycott them, i will not even rent Shadow of War, i'm not going to even remotely encourage microtransactions and loot boxes in single player games.

We need to draw a line in the sand here.

No? Just don't buy them. You aren't force to buy them to play the game.
Others games have some type of system like this. So we are going to start boycotting all AAA games?

Didn’t UnCharted do this in their multiplayer portion?
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/uncharted-4-microtransaction-prices-range-up-to-50

Didn’t The Last of Us do this too?
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ion-animations-will-set-you-back-99-each.aspx

Granted Gaf did call out TLoU big time. But no thread like this was made.

Edit:
Your gaming life is going to be miserable because I feel that loot boxes are not going anywhere.

Not really interested in any of those games, but might get AC:Origins when the price drops.

I avoid pretty much every game with loot boxes, been a great year so far.

THIS.

These games just seems generic and boring, most of them belongs to the dude-bro culture.

Forza 7, racing sim: Dude bro.
AC:Origins, Egyptian historical sci-fi open world game: Dude bro.
Shadow of War, Lord of the Rings fantasy game: Dude bro
Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars space fantasy game: Dude bro

Any chance we can just retire the phrase ' dude bro' for describing something that doesn't appeal to you?

For the most part yes, looks like I'll be avoiding all AAA games at this rate.

Its all very well feeling smug if you have the mental control to not succumb to the lure of lootboxes but anyone playing these games anyway should admit to themselves that the game design will have been effected (negativity imo) to allow for these lootboxes to make sense.

NoKisum

Thankfully, none of the games I'm currently deeply interested in involve loot boxes at all.

Unless Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has some unfortunate mechanics I didn't know about...

george_us

I've been lucky in that pretty much every game with loot boxes are games I have no interest in. Destiny 2 is the only game I've bought with them in it.

shira

Loot boxes are OK when they are only cosmetic (although some people would argue against that) but recently all big releases have them and somewhat affect the balance of the game. Even SINGLE PLAYER GAMES! this literally broke me and decided I won't support any game with loot boxes unless it's cosmetic.

This is retail gaming going forward. DLC, Online Pass, lootboxes, amiibos.

I don't know what you are taking a stand against?

RRockman

Banned
Others games have some type of system like this, but they don’t get called out.

Didn’t UnCharted do this in their multiplayer portion?
http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/uncharted-4-microtransaction-prices-range-up-to-50

Didn’t The Last of Us do this too?
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ion-animations-will-set-you-back-99-each.aspx

Funnily enough I haven't played these games at all. Seems I have luck in avoiding garbage systems.

The point still stands that it's garbo, no matter what the game. This thread is whataboutism max.

Crayon

I've been lucky in that pretty much every game with loot boxes are games I have no interest in. Destiny 2 is the only game I've bought with them in it.

I'm in the same boat but I don't think it's luck. The games with the most aggressive dlc schemes are also the ones with the most aggressive release schedules, and biggest advertising campaigns, most eyebrow-raising hour 0 reviews, etc. I've been moving away from these for a long time. I'm just glad there's somewhere to move to.

Funnily enough I haven't played these games at all. Seems I have luck in avoiding garbage systems.

The point still stands that it's garbo, no matter what the game. This thread is whataboutism max.
Sorry for that edit.

I will never say I like the system, but you will have to include the bulk of new AAA games.

I’m not skipping a game for something that I can easily avoid - like I have been doing.

Knox

These are all games that would be maybes for me but the microtransaction stuff is all I hear about them and it turns me off. I'm already skipping 2k18 which is a series I buy every year.

It depends on the implementation of the loot boxes. Overwatch just has cosmetic items, so I got to pay like $40 for the game and other people are subsidizing all of the new characters and what not.

I definitely don't fuck with any game where the loot boxes give people an advantage in game, and I'll never buy loot boxes personally.

The worst loot boxes I've ever seen were in Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, where people would just get better guns that had more damage or better fire rate. I'll never play another game like that.

jdmonmou

Personally, it's the huge download sizes in addition to the loot boxes that has me holding off from buying these games. I also have a huge backlog of games to play. I might still play these games eventually, but I'll rent or wait until they go on sale.

Evilmaus

Honestly I'm gravitating away from "AAA" games these days.

I likely wouldn't be getting any of those even if they didn't have loot boxes.

It's just sort of fortunate for me that all these games that are getting stuffed full of loot boxes aren't the kinds of games that really grab my attention these days.

In general though, I'm skeptical if any full priced game that's stuffed full of micro transactions.

patchday

Edit:
Your gaming life is going to be miserable because I feel that loot boxes are not going anywhere.

It's so easy to avoid these games with pay-to-win loot boxes. They are usually easily awful anyways due to the unbalanced multiplayer. I want to fight on a fair, balanced playfield where everyone has equal access to the items they need.

To be fair- BF2 still looks worse then the original Battlefront series and not nearly as deep as Battlefield 2142.

I swear many games are regressing rather then progressing.

But yes- still lots of fun multiplayer games for me. I am looking forward to Dragonball Fighter Z. Will soon pickup Splatoon 2 for my Switch. The list goes on... I have a deep game queue on Steam (over 100 games) and none have paid loot boxes

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If there is an option to pay real actual money into buying whatever currency, that is where the line is drawn. The game design and drop rates are forever impacted by that decision, whether you believe it or not.

I have zero interest in those games in the OP either way.

It's so easy to avoid this games with pay-to-win loot boxes. They are usually easily awful anyways due to the unbalanced multiplayer. I want to fight on a fair, balanced playfield where everyone has equal access to the items they need.

To be fair- BF2 still likes worse then the original Battlefront series and not nearly as deep as Battlefield 2142.

I swear many games are regressing rather then progressing.

But yes- still lots of fun multiplayer games for me. I am looking forward to Dragonball Fighter Z. Will soon pickup Splatoon 2 for my Switch. The list goes on... I have a deep game queue on Steam (over 100 games) and none have paid loot boxes

I honestly have never had a problem with loot boxes. I don’t pay attention to them at all. It’s your preference to actively dig and stay away from games that have optional LB. I don’t just avoid them, as long as it’s not pay to win.

Bakercat

I've been doing it more inadvertently. I don't play a lot of new AAA games anymore, so I'm not completely up to date with how they work. I did run into one in rocket league a few days ago and couldn't figure it out lol. But I noticed the word "buy keys" and I noped out quickly enough. Sadly, a lot of today's kids are used to this bullshit and pay whatever. Makes it much harder on my generation to enjoy games now.

No not a chance at all. They would have to be INSANELY game changing / invasive for me to ever consider it.

Loot Boxes and MT's aren't a bad thing for the industry by any means

patchday

I honestly have never had a problem with loot boxes. I don’t pay attention to them at all. It’s your preference to actively dig and stay away from games that have optional LB. I don’t just avoid them, as long as it’s not pay to win.

They make it a priority to hook you with loot boxes in these games. They always come with varying rarity (Common, Rare, Epic, etc). You'll get flooded with Common gear and think the game is great initially. Then over time you'll realize you're still missing that final Epic you need to complete your collection

Loot boxes are already pretty terrible and if you add 'payments' to it and on top of that- toss this into a multiplayer game you can forget about a balanced, clean battlefield.

Forza 7, racing sim: Dude bro.
AC:Origins, Egyptian historical sci-fi open world game: Dude bro.
Shadow of War, Lord of the Rings fantasy game: Dude bro
Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars space fantasy game: Dude bro

Any chance we can just retire the phrase ' dude bro' for describing something that doesn't appeal to you?

They are as mainstream as video games goes, the very definition of dudebro. They all have dubstep/rap music in the trailer so 15 years old kids would say ''Woah, this game is swag!''

Big, loud, pretty and dumb. That's western mainstream big budget triple-A games for you.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They are as mainstream as video games goes, the very definition of dudebro. They all have dubstep/rap music in the trailer so 15 years old kids would say ''Woah, this game is swag!''

Big, loud, pretty and dumb. That's western mainstream big budget triple-A games for you.
What AC:Origins trailer has dubstep and rap music? Because by my knowledge, this, this, and certainly not this.... fall under the definition of the wub wubs. Dudebro is like the most insecure notatruegamer™ nickname ever for people who play games that appeal to a large audience.

Did lootboxes become the hot topic overnight or something? There are like 5 different threads about the concept alone.

This has been going on for years. I don't know why people are revolting now when they should've when P2W became a thing.

Best wishes.

sn00zer

I like loot boxes that dont have microtransactions, and if they do have micro I dobt care as long as its cosmetics. Destiny 2 does it really well imo.

I'm just focusing on my backlog for the rest of the year. I don't usually care for the type of major releases in the fall regardless of loot boxes though.

As always I look at games on a case by case basis. Assassins Creed had microtransactions in the past and they never bothered me in the slightest. If a publisher wants to stick a fuck ton of mts in the game and it doesn't affect me more power to them.

Keinning

Doubt it. Unless progression is tied to lootboxes in some way (even in the ~everything can be unlocked with ingame currency but it would take you ten years to gather enough~ sense) because i never bought and i will never buy any lootbox in a non-F2P game

Top Bottom