• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone considering an XSX instead of a PS5 after the E3 conference?

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that model either, I mean, McDonalds is an enormous company loved by many too. But I guess the point that many people are making is that Microsoft has delivered a lot of games that rank as like... 6/10s or 7/10s in the last decade, and people aren't going to trust them to suddenly deliver 9/10s constantly until they actually prove it with several hits first.

In *my* opinion Halo Infinite is as exciting, as high quality and has more replay value than any major Sony first party title. Some may disagree but while I love TLOU and Uncharted and cherish them I feel the same way about Halo and the multiplayer adds to that value.

supernova8

Banned
In *my* opinion Halo Infinite is as exciting, as high quality and has more replay value than any major Sony first party title. Some may disagree but while I love TLOU and Uncharted and cherish them I feel the same way about Halo and the multiplayer adds to that value.

From a purely visual perspective, Halo simply hasn't changed much. You could put Halo 4, Halo 5 Guardians, and Halo Infinite next to each other, and for someone who has never seen the franchise before they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

In comparison, if you put Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 next to each other you can actually tell the difference despite them being on the same console. And then the jump to UC4 is massive. If they make a UC5 I imagine the jump would be similarly massive. Same goes for TLOU.

Of course graphics are not necessarily everything but there are only so many ways to skin a dead cat in terms of gameplay (especially for something like Halo), so visuals often become the biggest sign of change. It just kinda feels like they haven't bothered to make an effort. And it's not like I don't like Halo. The first three games were some of my favorite titles from their respective gaming years.

Last edited:
From a purely visual perspective, Halo simply hasn't changed much. You could put Halo 4, Halo 5 Guardians, and Halo Infinite next to each other, and for someone who has never seen the franchise before they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

In comparison, if you put Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 next to each other you can actually tell the difference despite them being on the same console. And then the jump to UC4 is massive. If they make a UC5 I imagine the jump would be similarly massive. Same goes for TLOU.

Of course graphics are not necessarily everything but there are only so many ways to skin a dead cat in terms of gameplay (especially for something like Halo), so visuals often become the biggest sign of change. It just kinda feels like they haven't bothered to make an effort. And it's not like I don't like Halo. The first three games were some of my favorite titles from their respective gaming years.

I think it's just that improvements are much more easily noticable in 3rd person games. I would say Gears matched the improved fidelity of Uncharted for instance. Halo was also hampered by Promethean design and it was a big mistake to lean on it. My favorite stage in Halo 5 was Sanghelios for instance, the level farthest from Promethean. Sanghelios was beautiful.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm a ps5 gamer but did buy a series x after this e3 and I'm hooked tbh. I really don't know when I'm gonna use my ps5 again, I feel kind of bad and sad for it. But this Xbox is gonna be keeping me busy big time with Forza, gears 5, and all the other stuff in GamePass. I will say I do miss the dualsense features I hope Xbox releases a competitor

Hopefully I'll get an urge to go back to my ps5 to finish sekiro and replay FF7R ps5 version, but for now the Xbox has me covered with games. I do not know at all when the next big release is for ps5. Deathloop I guess?

Last edited:

Buhaj

Can anyone tell me what the fuss is with Halo? It looks to me it's a cult title in the US? I don't feel it's anywhere as big in Europe. Definitely not a title I would personally pick a console for.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think it's just that improvements are much more easily noticable in 3rd person games. I would say Gears matched the improved fidelity of Uncharted for instance. Halo was also hampered by Promethean design and it was a big mistake to lean on it. My favorite stage in Halo 5 was Sanghelios for instance, the level farthest from Promethean. Sanghelios was beautiful.
Agree with this, Gears doesn't get the respect it deserves and Sanghelios is the best playing and looking part of H5. I hate all the promethean designs, all weird angles and hard lines. It reminds me of the Transformers movies, just indistinct lines once things are moving.

On the general topic, people here never surprise me, but those who say they've watched Microsoft's presentation and aren't interested in any of it must, at this point, accept that they're not into games as much as supporting a brand. Give most people any console and they'll have fun, saying that you're not interested in 30 different games across loads of genres just indicates to me that you're not making a decision based on the games, just the platform.

Last edited:

Buyukbaba

Neo Member
Just bought xsx after the E3 presentation. Now I am enjoying 4 games through game pass which I was planning to buy for my PS. Today, there is also one more new release for me. I kinda enjoyed ease of life element that game pass is serving.

I don't regret my decision considering whats coming in the future as well.

Last edited:

Kerotan

No if anything it's just reconfirmed my decision to stay on PlayStation. And playing warzone without being forced into pc lobbies with cheaters is worth the admission price alone.

Nothing showed at e3 has me interested in Xbox or game pass. The cult behind game pass make it less attractive then the actual games on the service.

So basically you don't want people talking about something you don't like.

PS discussion = genuine discussion
Xbox / gamepass discussion = cult

Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Just bought xsx after the E3 presentation. Now I am enjoying 4 games through game pass which I was planning to buy for my PS. Today, there is also one more new release for me. I kinda enjoyed ease of life element that game pass is serving.

I don't regret my decision considering whats coming in the future as well.
How did you get a hold of one? I’m just starting my hunt

Sweep14

What is true though, is the feeling of overpaying for games that are available day one on Game Pass. It's really simple as that.

The difference between renting the game and owning it. Some people could care less of game ownership, but for other people like me it's a thing.

I only play on Nintendo consoles, but if I would choose one of these two, for sure would be the Xbox.
I can have the same experience in Netflix than those "games" on PS5.

The difference between renting the game and owning it. Some people could care less of game ownership, but for other people like me it's a thing.
This is true, but your response get away from my point. The Sony diehards that get upset at Game Pass don't think like you, though. They have the same approach to games as I do. They'd rather not have to weigh so many options for a full priced game. They know a subscription service with access to many games, including day one AAA, is far more appealing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'd buy a Series X if it was possible to pop in any OG XBOX game and have it play. It's my understanding that the BC is limited to certain games.

I'm more interested in exploring old XBOX titles than I am playing nex gen stuff.

That being said, I still plan on getting a PS5 but like I mentioned above, I'd go with XBOX first if the BC gets completely unlocked for the OG software library.

TrackZ

I own all 3 consoles and a 3090 PC right now. I'm trying to weed something out, which will either be the PC or the Xbox/PS5 I think. The Switch likely stays no matter what. A hard debate for me.

When looking at the consoles, I see Switch for Nintendo games only, PS for Sony games only, and then Xbox for MS games of course but also everything else too. I feel like MS is the best overall gaming platform to consider as a "main". Whether because of cloud saves, Gamepass, better/customizable UI with library management and groupings, future Xcloud integration, better controller IMO with the Elite 2, and just overall better OS and general hardware. You can really tell MS is a software/OS company and a capable hardware company to boot. The other two consoles are exclusive-machines and that's it.

That said, I'm also considering that main just being my PC and eliminating both PS and Xbox consoles and have PC + Switch. I tried Yuzu a bit to try and consolidate all my gaming to PC, but Switch emulation has a long way to go to be reliable yet and if/when a Switch Pro does come emulation will be even further behind for Pro games I expect.

I'm a living room and controller gamer, mind you, regardless of whether I end up choosing consoles or PCs. The question for me is based more on simplicity, ease of access, quick resume, and better family gaming support on consoles vs. the perpetual historical game library and overall quality of gaming on PC. Cost is a factor too as my PC was $4,200 to build. I also have a living room setup and a home theater dedicated space, which means I can install PS and Xbox consoles in both rooms discretely and still have only spent less than half what the PC cost. That part is pretty compelling towards consoles too.

Top Bottom