• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else afraid to associate with other non white races?

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I know this sounds strange, but besides hanging out with people my own race, I would rathet hang out with white people than other minorities, especially with the current political climate.

I just dont want to worry about possibly making a statement that shows I'm not "woke" enough, or that I'm not showing enough empathy about whatver oppression their race may be suffering. Id just rather not deal with it. I have my own problems.

I think i just would feel much more comfortable in room of white people than one full of Latinos, blacks, native Americans, etc...heck i wouldnt even care much if some white person makes a racist joke...i dont get offended easily.

120v

Mar 14, 2013
oh deer

probably taking the bait here but... most "minorities" don't give a shit about that stuff more than anybody else. they have mundane day to day lives and interests just like you probably do

Rudelord

Jun 11, 2013
I have better things to do with my time than concern myself with the melanin percentage in my current room.
99% of people out there also are like this.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
I don’t care about your race or gender.

I don’t want to be friends with anyone who owns wind chimes.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I think your avoidance should be more targetted towards SJWs than minorities in general. There are plenty of women who hate modern feminism, racial minorities who don't toe the line, etc.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
No.....
Most real life people aren’t super focused on this “woke” stuff.

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
I connect more with people of my own race. I don’t go out of my way to find minorities that have a similar spirit to white people just so I can virtue signal that I’m not racist. There is an exception though, White ess jay double yous are the worst.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Most people don't subscribe to extreme political agendas on the left or right and are just trying to get by. The righteous, non-racist path is to approach people as individuals. :messenger_sun:

quickwhips

Jan 26, 2009
I hang out with a mix of people. I never got The whole race thing vs culture bullshit. I just like people.

RSB

Feb 15, 2009
LOL. If that worries you then it's white people you should avoid. College educated white people especially.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Well here is a thought experiment though. Let us say you are trying to find a club to join...a book club movie club hiking club whatever...would you join one that has only white people? Or one that has only people of XX race that is not your own?

brap

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Well here is a thought experiment though. Let us say you are trying to find a club to join...a book club movie club hiking club whatever...would you join one that has only white people? Or one that has only people of XX race that is not your own?
The one that has the least shit taste.

Husky

Aug 13, 2017
The Bowery, Exodus
race wouldn't be a factor
I'd be more worried about winding up with someone who's hyperconcerned about melanin content.

TheFarter

Oct 21, 2017
I know this sounds strange, but besides hanging out with people my own race, I would rathet hang out with white people than other minorities, especially with the current political climate.

I just dont want to worry about possibly making a statement that shows I'm not "woke" enough, or that I'm not showing enough empathy about whatver oppression their race may be suffering. Id just rather not deal with it. I have my own problems.

I think i just would feel much more comfortable in room of white people than one full of Latinos, blacks, native Americans, etc...heck i wouldnt even care much if some white person makes a racist joke...i dont get offended easily.
Nope. White here. Hung out with mexicans and asians all my life growing up and they were and are great people. Learned lots of different stuff and perpectives from them. Glad I grew up in the 80's.

badblue

Nov 25, 2012
Edmonton
Political climate be damned, and just hand out with people you want to hang out with. Don't be part of the problem.

That is a terrible thought experiment.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
May 22, 2018
I only hang out with asians cause I’m hoping to learn Kung fu

lethial

May 12, 2005
People think hanging out with people who aren't white is making a statement? What a fucking world we live in. People who think that must have some developmental problems or are just plain old shitty ass racists.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼

Formerly '심포니'
Apr 2, 2013
波士頓
From what I've observed, white people are often the ones getting offended for other races, rather than the other races themselves.
While I will say this is for me too (being a minority) I think this phenomenon is almost directly associated to where one lives.

As for the thread, I don't think OP is wording what he really means correctly.

Last edited:

old

May 11, 2013
This notion is ludicrous. Great people come in all races. Cutting yourself off to great people because of their race is stupidity. And it’s racist.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
While I will say this is for me too (being a minority) I think this phenomenon is almost directly associated to where one lives.

As for the thread, I don't think OP is wording what he really means correctly.
Yeah I think I didnt make the point clear. With the current SJW climate I'm just deathly afraid to offend anyone. Like if I use the wrong pronoun I might trigger someone. I even found out recently u cant even call someone Latino or Latina anymore you have to say Latinx. And me being a Trump supporter doesnt help either. What if they somehow sniff me out?

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
You say you feel more comfortable in a room full of white people... because you're white too. Imagine if you were a brown/black person in a room full of white people. That's something you'd HAVE to get used to if you want to become successful. Brown people (like me) are in a room full white people everyday and it really becomes not a problem.

I suggest you try being more empathetic and realize that most people don't give a shit and have other things to worry about.

Plus, if anything, cultural differences makes the world more interesting. If any person (white or not) is too busy being offended maybe they're not worthy of friendship. Just move onto other people worth your time.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Yeah I think I didnt make the point clear. With the current SJW climate I'm just deathly afraid to offend anyone. Like if I use the wrong pronoun I might trigger someone. I even found out recently u cant even call someone Latino or Latina anymore you have to say Latinx. And me being a Trump supporter doesnt help either. What if they somehow sniff me out?
Just play dumb and call it latin-ecks with a really exaggerated eckshhh so it sounds super dumb like it is.

rorepmE

Jan 20, 2019
Republic of Val Verde
You say you feel more comfortable in a room full of white people... because you're white too. Imagine if you were a brown/black person in a room full of white people. That's something you'd HAVE to get used to if you want to become successful. Brown people (like me) are in a room full white people everyday and it really becomes not a problem.

I suggest you try being more empathetic and realize that most people don't give a shit and have other things to worry about.

Plus, if anything, cultural differences makes the world more interesting. If any person (white or not) is too busy being offended maybe they're not worthy of friendship. Just move onto other people worth your time.
I live in a town that is 90% white (I'm not white) where there has been 4 murders in the last 20 years.

I feel safer around white people.

DaForest

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
Well, obviously, being a Trump supporter means you're not a friend of non-whites. Why would a non-white want to befriend someone who supports a man who held a press conference on the day of the Charlottesville riot and said that the people screaming "Jews will not replace us" are very fine people? Duh.

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Well, obviously, being a Trump supporter means you're not a friend of non-whites. Why would a non-white want to befriend someone who supports a man who held a press conference on the day of the Charlottesville riot and said that the people screaming "Jews will not replace us" are very fine people? Duh.
He didn't say that but ok

DaForest

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
He didn't say that but ok
He said he's a Trump supporter. In response, I said that should make it obvious why there's no point in him worrying about being friends with non-whites or interacting with them for any considerable length of time. Most non-whites would not want to befriend a Trump supporter or associate with them.

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
He said he's a Trump supporter. In response, I said that should make it obvious why there's no point in him worrying about being friends with non-whites or interacting with them for any considerable length of time. Most non-whites would not want to befriend a Trump supporter or associate with them.
I know what you said.

I was talking about Trump. He never said that the people screaming “Jews will not replace us” were very fine people. He said that there were fine people on both sides and you’ve distorted that to mean that he was referring only to the neo-Nazi contingent of the right side because it fits your narrative. Given that the left side had an even larger contingent of Antifa, it’s a lil bit biased for you to focus only on the neo-Nazis. It’s par for the course with you at this point though, my NPC friend 🤖

Dec 3, 2018
Racially, I don't have a problem with anybody. Culturally, there are certain types of people and communities I would certainly not feel comfortable with. I don't drink, for example, so a culture which prides drinking and openly mocks teetotalers would not be a place where I would enjoy spending time. This is not a judgment on them as individuals - I'm sure they are very nice people - but entering a social group tends to require mutual acceptance, me of their norms and beliefs, and them of my norms and beliefs. Sometimes, there's not a lot of middle ground.

There are certain cultures which are associated very strongly with particular races - though not limited to just that race, the public perception is that these cultures are racially derived and part of a racial identity (they aren't, but you'll get called racist anyway) - and I would feel very uncomfortable in these communities. Again, not because I think less of them as people or individuals, but because my interests, values, and personality would not match well with the group. I'm sure that they don't want to hang around me any more than I want to hang around them.

People may argue that it is racial, and have, but I say that it is cultural. There was this one black guy in my gifted classes in high school - smart guy. We went to the same private elementary school and had spend the nights, traded toys, and hung out all the time. We went to different middle schools, and when I met him again in high school - we still got along well enough (though there was that distance that comes from going down two different paths in life). In the gifted classes, he was fine. However, when he hung out with other black students, he sort of... I'm not sure how to say this in a politically correct way, but he "ghetto'd" up his speech. His entire speech pattern changed - not full ebonics, but certainly not to the same level I knew him to speak. The way he carried himself was different. Hell, his pants drooped. The really weird thing is that the other black kids he hung around were mostly honors students. One was the class president. I guess it was whatever public school he went to for middle school which required him to be more "black".

I mean, I get it. We all do it to some extent. How I behave when I'm interacting with my kids is different than how I interact with my friends. It was because he inhabited two cultures at extreme odds that he ended up having such a drastic change in personality depending on who he was with. Both of them were the real him, just exaggerated a little bit for effect, I guess.

DaForest

Banned
Nov 11, 2018
I know what you said.

I was talking about Trump. He never said that the people screaming “Jews will not replace us” were very fine people. He said that there were fine people on both sides and you’ve distorted that to mean that he was referring only to the neo-Nazi contingent of the right side because it fits your narrative. Given that the left side had an even larger contingent of Antifa, it’s a lil bit biased for you to focus only on the neo-Nazis. It’s par for the course with you at this point though, my NPC friend 🤖
Antifa are good people. They're opposed to racist neo-fascist groups. Don't see what the problem is. And there were no "fine people" on the right side. Anyone marching with people who scream "Jews will not replace us" are disqualified from ever being considered "fine people."

Last edited:

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Antifa are good people. They're opposed to racist neo-fascist groups. Don't see what the problem is. And there were no "fine people" on the right side. Anyone marching with people who scream "Jews will not replace us" are disqualified from ever being considered "fine people."
And there it is. Supporting neo-communists is akin to supporting neo-Nazis. You are no better than what you hate.

There were normal, non-radical right wingers there prior to the neo-Nazis showing up and hijacking the event. That is what Trump was referring to.

Dec 3, 2018
Antifa are good people. They're opposed to racist neo-fascist groups. Don't see what the problem is.
Unfortunately, they aren't particularly diligent about who they think belongs to a racist neo-fascist group, causing them to attack and physically harm people who are innocent.

And there were no "fine people" on the right side.
I'm increasingly starting to believe this is the case of the left side as well. Do you remember when a few thousand people came out to protest a white supremacist rally that was like 5 non-white people who just wanted to complain about health care?

Sep 4, 2018
Not at all, look up the city demographic in Richmond BC, my whole life I've been the only white person in a room and even now, have never felt uncomfortable around people of other races or cultures.

Most left wing and right wing people in person are centered enough to not give a shit about race and cultural differences. It's the loud minority of people that give the impression that you're picking up on.

Shaqazooloo

Gold Member
Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Not really, it kind of doesn't matter tbh. Plus that's pretty racist.
Also, if that's what you're worried about you might get the same issue with young white people as well.

Last edited:

pramod

Oct 24, 2017

I'm not white. But I have to admit I'm not one of the ethnic groups that is frequently in the middle of the major culture or race wars in this country.

Greedings

May 23, 2016
I don't hang out with people outside my race at the moment because they're fucking boring.

What the hell do I talk about to someone who doesn't drink? Am I going to go to a coffee shop with them and chat like we're on a fucking high school date?

mid83

Mar 4, 2014
This is silly. Most people in real life aren’t the crazy “woke” SJW psychos you see on Twitter/Reddit/ERA.

You are likely missing out on opportunities to hang out and get to know some awesome people.

Hesemonni

Feb 27, 2007
Finland
I don't hang out with people outside my race at the moment because they're fucking boring.

What the hell do I talk about to someone who doesn't drink? Am I going to go to a coffee shop with them and chat like we're on a fucking high school date?
Wow. Just wow.

King of Foxes

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2018
Latvia
Im not afraid to associate or be friends with anyone. I also dont want my country to become multi cultural like western Europe.

Im married now but i would nevee date or marry someone who wasn't baltic or slavic to be honest

May 22, 2018
The fuck? Unless you regularly go around saying racist things or you are just a true racist then you have no reason to avoid being friends with minorities. Hell you should have no reason to avoid being friends with anyone.

They are normal people. You treat them with the same respect you would with anyone else you socialize with and thats it. Its not like they are from another planet and you need to treat them differently. Jesus.

Last edited:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
You're hanging out with tons of minorities on NeoGAF every day. We're all getting our minorities cooties on you. You're already contaminated.

Seriously, this thread was a silly, and bad idea. Some thoughts maybe don't need to be shared.

I think you have a very sheltered circle, and most people are painfully boring, and similar. No one is really all that different. Don't overthink this too much. Seriously. Lots of minorities are not politically active at all, and just worry about working, family, and their hobbies like everyone else. Lots of minorities are not into politically correct ideology either.

Last edited:

itxaka

Defeatist
Feb 21, 2007
Bioshock
I lold hard at this. Where is this everything-bad-is-communism coming from? Are we back to the 20s and the red scare?

if anything they might be anarauists but its better to disassociate them from any political movement as they are just a bunch of violent dicks looking for the next opportunity to fuck things up. Pick them and he violent far right and set them figth fields so at least we can enjoy seeing them fuck up each other without affecting the rest of the society.

Last edited:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I'm not white. But I have to admit I'm not one of the ethnic groups that is frequently in the middle of the major culture or race wars in this country.
pramod sounds like a hindu name maybe? Indian descent I'm guessing. Then surely you are fine hanging out with other Indians as well as white people right?

What about Asians? There's not a lot of SJW Asians.

Are you just uncomfortable around black people and mexicans? Native Americans? Arabs?

The most ironic thing is that most SJWs are white men and women who get offended on other people's behalf. Let that sink in, because it really is true in many cases. If you're going to offend someone about not being "woke," they will most likely be a white person (and yes, this is a bit of an unfair generalization, I know).

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

The only people that care about "wokeness" and obsess about race and race issues are SJWs. Those are mostly middle class white millenials. Most minorities don't give a shit.
You can continue to hang out with other minority friends, no problem. As will I.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I lold hard at this. Where is this everything-bad-is-communism coming from? Are we back to the 20s and the red scare?

if anything they might be anarauists but its better to disassociate them from any political movement as they are just a bunch of violent dicks looking for the next opportunity to fuck things up. Pick them and he violent far right and set them figth fields so at least we can enjoy seeing them fuck up each other without affecting the rest of the society.
Many of them publicly praise communism and wear that iconography. That's just a fact

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
This is the stupidest post of the week.

My friend from Taiwan, voted for trump in 2016 and still thinks he is good.
He hates his own race? Jesus.

Just stop this shitty race baiting bullshit. Please just stop.