• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed at XB1's Exclusives last generation?

Esppiral

It had some great exclusives, but the amount and diversity of them was lackluster compared to previous Xbox generations and other brands.

SegaShack

Great posts and discussion in here.

I also want to add, I remember when Phil took over from Mattick that everyone was excited. Phil comes across as a gamer and is very likable.

Yet, that was seven years ago, and I'm not sure what is holding him back from having higher quality 1st party output. As I mentioned before, the repeated "this year is all about the games" lines always end up being disapointing/misleading.

nush

Microsoft knew early on that they had shit the bed with the Xbox One and so pumping money into exclusives would not see a return on investment. Instead they used the platform as a test bed for concepts and services and the results of that are now seen on the new generation.

kyussman

I love video games but I never even considered the purchase of an Xbox last gen....I can honestly say there was only one game they released that had it been on PlayStation I would have got....Sunset Overdrive and even that didn't really wow me that much but I'm generally a fan of Insomnia's stuff.
I imagine things will be much better this coming gen.

bxrz

Their games need to come out more frequently and they need to secure more 3rd party exclusives. Sony always had an exclusive in the clip, whether it was a 1st party or 3rd party.

I also want to add, I remember when Phil took over from Mattick that everyone was excited. Phil comes across as a gamer and is very likable.

Yet, that was seven years ago, and I'm not sure what is holding him back from having higher quality 1st party output. As I mentioned before, the repeated "this year is all about the games" lines always end up being disapointing/misleading.
Since Phil took over, they've triple their studio count as of 2017. Say what you want, but they clearly have a plan in motion and it takes a lot of time to build big AAA games and franchises. He couldn't help that he had to patch up a sinking ship and turn it around again.

GC_DALBEN

I did enjoy my x1 a lot, i used way more than my ps4 (bloodborne machine).

I Loved (10/10)
*Forza Horizon (2~4)
*Ori (1~2)
*Rare Replay

I Really liked (8,5/10)
*Sunset Overdrive
*Quantum Break
*KI
*Halo 5
*Dead Rising 3(a lot of fun)
*Ryse
*Forza Fotorsport (5~7)

I Liked(7/10)
*Sea of Thieves
*Gears 4
*Gears 5 (a good game with a HORRIBLE protagonist, the same game with the protagonist of Gears 4 would be awesome, the best part of the game is the first lvl, you play as him, if the protagonist doenst change i wont buy the next game, its a shame, it was awesome until 3)
*Recore
*#IDARB
*D4 (what happened to the continuation?)

The other games i didnt play or didnt liked.

Last edited:

GHG

If you're not disappointed in their output from last gen then I question your judgement and the reason you are interested in this hobby.

The problem is that Xbox relied too much on third parties for their games, instead of grooming their first-party studios. I think there was a lack of new IPs. The whole generation was Halo, Gears, Forza again :messenger_tears_of_joy: In that regard Xbox 360 was more diverse - at least it had WRPGs.
To be honest, PS has always been a console for third-person action games - in all generations, while Xbox has always been shooters.

Personally, I play only shooters, racing games, strategies, and WRPG, so for me, it is fine.
PC is the king of course. As it should be.:messenger_bicep:

Last edited:
It was just boring.

I love the Forza Horizon series and as soon as i played FH2 i knew it was special. Still playing FH4 as we speak but the FM series has become stale and needs a serious refresh. The core mechanics, car selection and all the rest are great as expected from Forza but it feels sterile in comparison to Horizon, where everything is colourful and just plain fun. I'm hoping they are taking their time for exactly that reason. Oh, and one of the main drawbacks of Motorsport is the music... dear god it's enough to make you sleep, it sounds corporate. Just make a fucking good soundtrack for it but keep the serious racing aspect. Good music goes a long way in games and Horizon nailed that.

Halo? Where to even begin... Halo MCC could've been so much bigger than it is and should be, but they botched it so hard that it just flopped and got laughed at for just how bad it was at launch. They were rushing it out to try save the XB1 and it showed. Halo 5, while good in MP, lacked everywhere else and that showed too, it is universally hated. Then we get Infinite where again, they somehow manage to botch the initial reveal and it's become meme galore. They've single handedly destroyed their pillar franchise and if they manage to pull of some miracle with the delay i will genuinely be shocked, but i'm not holding out hope for it, as far as i'm concerned it's dead.

They missed a full gen of potential Fable reboots too which is just mindblowing in all honesty. People were asking for it, and they just wouldn't do it.

In my opinion, Xbox have this thick skulled attitude where they think they know best and just do their own thing regardless of what people are asking for, and it's getting annoying.

aries_71

It all started at the end of the 360 generation. They took the wrong message from the Wii (Kinect) AND being able to ride the multiplatform train. When they wanted to react it was too late, you don’t grow exclusives in 2-3 years out of thin air.
Still, the single player story driven third person exclusive game narrative that is so dear to Neo/Sonygaf it’s also wrong messaging. Most of the PS players in Europe are in for FIFA, Fortinte and COD.

SegaShack

Since Phil took over, they've triple their studio count as of 2017. Say what you want, but they clearly have a plan in motion and it takes a lot of time to build big AAA games and franchises. He couldn't help that he had to patch up a sinking ship and turn it around again.
They've bought a lot of studios but 7 years is a very long time. Look how poorly managed their studios have been, even post Phil. Even the biggest AAA games take 5 years max to make.

Halo Infinite and Crackdown 3 were long term game projects (5 years +) under Phil and no offense to the guy personally, but those are embarrassing.

Add in the fact that Halo Infinite is the most expensive game ever made and the mismanagement is just perplexing.

Phil has been overseeing games for 7 years and their output had been subpar at best. It pains me to say this too, since I bought one at the start of the generation.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
I thought the exclusives were fine but nothing blew me away. I had a lot of fun with ReCore, Ryze, and Sunset Overdrive, which was the highlight of the generation for Xbox.

Gears 5 also wasn’t bad, I thought it ended way too soon but the gameplay was fun, which is what I play Gears for anyway.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Xbox One exclusives for me -

1. Gears 5 - 9.0/10
2. Gears 4 - 8.5/10
3. Quantum Break - 8.0/10
4. Ryse: Son of Rome - 7.0/10

I do have Halo 5: Guardians in my backlog. Overall, great quality but disappointing in a quantity aspect but it was my secondary gaming console of last generation so I honestly didn't care. After all, there's reasons why it was secondary for me. I am expecting Microsoft to give me 15+ exclusives for Xbox Series X with the quality and quantity easily surpassing Xbox One.
When Ryse gets into your top 4 exclusives of the gen you no the consoles had a rough ride.

Overall I am optimistic that Xbox will have some heavy hitters in the future but I think they are also saddled by some serious dead weight with Halo and Gears.

You make some good historical points, and even seem reasonable until you go full on fanboy with the last couple of points. Shame.

Gears and Halo are anything but dead weight, whether you personally like them or not. I think most of the Sony walking sims are painfully overrated, but if I called them ‘dead weight’ I would rightly be considered a joke on here because they clearly have a big audience.

It says a lot that it gets stated as a sinking ship. I’m not the biggest fan of PlayStation and they had a terrible start with PS3 and then the PSN hacking scandal yet they still turned it around in the same generation with a portfolio that managed to attain a considerable amount of hardware sales with a single studio that brought two new IPs that we’re critical and commercial successes.

Phil Spencer is lucky he gets the enamoured following he does. He’s admitted himself they considered pulling the plug and there has been a lack of investment. It’s not good enough from Microsoft and people in general don’t buy consoles based on “wait till E3” or “yeah but Phil saved us” or any of that, they see what’s on offer to play and how much it is.

This isn’t a rant at you to be clear, I’m just tired of the farces of this regime , the almost hive mind mentality in the community and constant one step forward and two back routine. Now we are seeing yet another step back problem with multiplat performance with people saying we have to wait again until the devs get used to the dev kits.

Sick of it tbh.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If It weren't for One X I wouldn't have played on Xbox. I bought an OG Xbox One after they dumped the Kinect requirement. I bought it because I have traditionally bought the all consoles. I want to make sure I can play the best versions of my favorite third party games as well as exclusives. But I was disappointed early on and played everything on PS4 because the third party games were better there. When I got One X I used it tons more than PS4 because most third party games were better on it and PS4 became the console just for exclusives with One X becoming my main system.

I am severely disappointed that with all of the studios Microsoft bought they didn't have anything at all ready for launch. They should have had 2 or 3 killer games to not have to depend on Halo. I will still buy an XSX at some point to carry my library forward. Same with PS5. But neither console has enough interesting new content to be worth the price to me this year. There's nothing new I want to play right now that I can't also play on One X or PS4 pro. And there's no urgency to upgrade since anything I buy now will carry forward.

Last edited:
Now we are seeing yet another step back problem with multiplat performance with people saying we have to wait again until the devs get used to the dev kits.

Sick of it tbh.

Hard to tell who’s concern trolling any more, but if you’re genuine, isn’t this is a bit of an over reaction? The multiplatform performance seems almost identical, the occasional dips aside (not including whatever’s going on with Dirt 5) - if the ‘tools’ issue is indeed an/the issue, you don’t have to wait for anything except bragging rights over Sony, and who gives a fuck about that? You can still play everything without major issue, and there’s going to be fixes coming as we go - the consoles are brand new and devs are still figuring them out... You just have to live with it - it’s the biggest drawback with ‘generations’ and why I look forward to that outdated concept ending with this ‘generation’ hopefully.

Iced Arcade

I was disappointed in both console's output last gen when compared to the 360/PS3 era. would be a bold face lie to say the XB1 1st party lineup wasn't more than lacking BUT they did a few things like buying dozens of teams so this gen is going to shape up pretty damn solid.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed last gen, just didn't compare to the previous.

Last edited:

Certinty

Overall it was pretty bad.

Started off decent with games like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break and then it went to shit.

Thank God for the Forza Horizon games though, they literally saved the console for me.

Hard to tell who’s concern trolling any more, but if you’re genuine, isn’t this is a bit of an over reaction? The multiplatform performance seems almost identical, the occasional dips aside (not including whatever’s going on with Dirt 5) - if the ‘tools’ issue is indeed an/the issue, you don’t have to wait for anything except bragging rights over Sony, and who gives a fuck about that? You can still play everything without major issue, and there’s going to be fixes coming as we go - the consoles are brand new and devs are still figuring them out... You just have to live with it - it’s the biggest drawback with ‘generations’ and why I look forward to that outdated concept ending with this ‘generation’ hopefully.

I am genuine, can’t be bothered with that “concern trolling” shit.

I don’t think it’s a overreaction , I’m simply stating what’s happened in recent years. I want them to improve and be the best they can be, people forget it’s our money at the end day, they make these things with the hope as many buy as possible.

As for bragging rights, I don’t do that bragging shit, particularly over a console. They clearly stated the Series X would play the games best here:

It’s not about bragging rights, it’s simply one of the reasons I bought it mate. Not everyone is into the “console war”.

lordrand11

Full disclosure, I'm not a fanboy of corporations and had all 3 consoles this last generation (as well as PC).

With the generation ending, I was reflecting on Microsoft's exclusive output.

At the start of last generation (2013-2014), Xbox to me had so many great exclusives. Killer Instinct, Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive were fantastic.

Master Chief Collection (although broken at first) and Rare Replay were fantastic collections.

Then it seemed like MS stopped caring. A few decent first party games came out like Sea of Thieves and ReCore over the years.

Other exclusives like Crackdown 3, Crimson Dragon, and Halo 5 were huge disappointments.

It's sad for me to say that XB1 really let me down with the exclusives last generation. The system really became a Forza and Gears machine in its later years, which is definitely a downgrade from what I was looking for.

Was anyone else let down by Microsoft's Exclusives this last generation?

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of exclusives for this generation though I bought my console entirely for two games. Rare Replay (which I'm still whittling away at the achievements on) and Master Chief Collection which has since been ported to PC and where I play it at. I've got a few other titles here and there that I enjoyed like Killer Instinct, Halo 5, Monster Hunter etc.,

Nope, I thought they were amazing and to my tastes were much better than the competitions.

I don’t play single player. Could not care less about it, especially if you could use the word “cinematic” to describe the game. I play multiplayer. Microsoft delivered in spades.
This is why Xbox will never match Sony when its fanbase have such low standards for themselves and the brand.

CeeJay

It had some great exclusives, but the amount and diversity of them was lackluster compared to previous Xbox generations and other brands.
I dont know how you can compare Microsofts and Sonys output and come to the conclusion that Sonys is more diverse. 90% of Sonys output are 3rd person cinematic action adventure games. MS have had a presence in pretty much every genre you can think of this gen except maybe sports. Where is Sonys answer to such games as Halo Wars, Age of Empires, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Flight Sim and Gears Tactics to name a few. If anything I would say that Microsofts offerings have had easily the most diversity and variety out of the big 3 this gen.

I am genuine, can’t be bothered with that “concern trolling” shit.

I don’t think it’s a overreaction , I’m simply stating what’s happened in recent years. I want them to improve and be the best they can be, people forget it’s our money at the end day, they make these things with the hope as many buy as possible.

As for bragging rights, I don’t do that bragging shit, particularly over a console. They clearly stated the Series X would play the games best here:

It’s not about bragging rights, it’s simply one of the reasons I bought it mate. Not everyone is into the “console war”.

That’s good then - I’d suggest giving it more than a couple of weeks then, sure you won’t be disappointed longer term!

Wait more, they will change... 🤕 Get screwed and disappointed... Wait more, they will change... 🤕

Two different issues. This, in particular, is an early adopter issue. Always the same and should be expected. PS5 seems to be having some early stability issues, Series X is having some early performance issues - I expect both to be fixed in short order.

HarryKS

What exclusives? They managed to go 7 years without one big game that imposed itself on the gaming collective. Games that are talked about in the media and amongst fans and people trust still trust them at their own peril. The writing is on the wall, you sometimes just have to open your eyes.

Phase

The only game I ended up buying for my Xbox One was the MCC... Just yesterday I bought the original Red Dead Redemption, a 360 game, to play on it. So yeah, I'm a little disappointed lol.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This entire decade has been a shit show for Xbox when it comes to first party. The best thing we got from them was a spin off franchise (Horizon) and a couple of indies (Cuphead, Ori).

Hats off to Xbox only gamers, MS should give you gamepass for free. Gotta reward their loyalty, specially when they come online and defend this shit show.

Last edited:
There lineup was nothing short of a joke. Anyone who can't admit that is blind.

And while they have now acquired a load of studios it's clear they didn't learn in time for launch either. Sure they tried to have Halo ready but my god it was good they delayed it cause it looked so poor.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This entire decade has been a shit show for Xbox when it comes to first party. The best thing we got from them was a spin off franchise (Horizon) and a couple of indies (Cuphead, Ori).

Hats off to Xbox only gamers, MS should give you gamepass for free.

Nah forza anything was great and GOW 4 and 5 were excellent. They just suffered from the overwhelming negative Xbox mindset.

It seems Xbox were very content on chasing the shooter fans last gen which was a mistake. They really need to broaden their profile. Which they bought all the people to do it now they just need the games out.

Two different issues. This, in particular, is an early adopter issue. Always the same and should be expected. PS5 seems to be having some early stability issues, Series X is having some early performance issues - I expect both to be fixed in short order.
hopefully they will fir the performance, but then again:
xbox's performance issues cannot bring it much higher (relatively to the PS5's), if one has potential to grow in this area, the other does as well, but more importantly--MS has an habit of manipulating people in regard to the potential of fixing everything with a new version of DirectX, the cloud, edram streaming, etc., same for the potential of some new amazing game from 1st party studios, etc. (if you want to go there, I also don't think the Cell delivered, but at least they got something out of it).

I'm honestly still on the fence about the PS5's stability problems, some of them may be due to faulty hardware... I will wait a couple of months so that the launch fog of war clears up (not that I have time to play these days anyway).

Either way, wait and see, but I don't see why MS should be given the benefit of the doubt at that point, they have mis-managed their talents, they have lied about potential software performance boosts as well... so until their new studios start delivering on a consistent basis I don't see why I would chance my stance... I don't expect the performance delta between the PS5 and series x to ever change much (they are about equal, they will remain in the same ballpark).

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nah forza anything was great and GOW 4 and 5 were excellent.

Forza Horizon was excellent, mainline was same old shit. GOW4 was trash and 5 was good, not great. Xbox 1 is probably one of the worst consoles in history overall, so the whole "unfairly negative xbox mindset" is once again proof that their fans will take anything. Gotta let that 360 nostalgia die in peace.

Dane

Because the division was on the life support for half or more of the generation, the "desindustrialization" began around 2007 and by 2014 they only had few studios left and a fraction of partners they had on the X360, all they did was to buy Mojang which was something they probably knew it was the 105% success opportunity, it wasn't until he got promoted to VP that the acquisitions began.

Last edited:

Valentino

I guarantee Microsoft have taken a look at what's working for Sony, and with all those studios that Microsoft franticly waved their money at are now making single player, 3rd person, character driven, story games.
Or as Microsoft users like to call it........ "a movie"
And they will gobble it up.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I guarantee Microsoft have taken a look at what's working for Sony, and with all those studios that Microsoft franticly waved their money at are now making single player, 3rd person, character driven, story games.
Or as Microsoft users like to call it........ "a movie"
And they will gobble it up.
Except they are making western RPGs and a wide variety of games like grounded and fs2020. Read the threads of people pissing and moaning Microsoft won't become Sony light.

Romulus

360 wasn't the greatest when it came to exclusives but it was miles better than XB1. In fact, the OG Xbox is the only Microsoft console I would consider to have a great lineup of exclusives.

Eternal21

The only Microsoft exclusive I was interested in was Ryse: Son of Rome, and it turned out to be poorly reviewed.

Fox Mulder

No games was such a big narrative all generation that MS went out and bought like a dozen studios to build up their output for the new generation. The Zenimax stuff alone will be huge.

The ps5 will still be massive, but the Xbox can still have better versions of third party games and a bigger lineup of great exclusives.

Last edited:

Desudzer10

Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive were 2 of my top 10 games of last gen. Other than MLB the show the rest of the top 10 were mulitplat games. I know it's all preference, but Sony exclusives don't appeal to everybody.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
You make some good historical points, and even seem reasonable until you go full on fanboy with the last couple of points. Shame.

Gears and Halo are anything but dead weight, whether you personally like them or not. I think most of the Sony walking sims are painfully overrated, but if I called them ‘dead weight’ I would rightly be considered a joke on here because they clearly have a big audience.
Halo and Zelda are my two favorite franchises. I played a ton of Halo on the original Xbox and Xbox 360. It’s why I subscribed Xbox Live back in 2005 a few months after Halo 2 came out. I read all of the books and could bore most people to death with my thoughts on the lore. There was a huge stretch of time where Halo was the only game I played.

I have a ton of passion for Gears as well. I really enjoyed the franchise particularly the MP in the first game. There was a time when I was up to date on all of the Gears lore and played through the campaigns over and over with friends.

All of that to say when I call Halo and Gears dead weight I’m not doing so because I’m some Sony fanboy. Xbox has always been my primary console since the original where I played Halo. Not an Xbox fanboy either; have always owned both consoles each gen.

When I call those franchises deadweight I’m doing so for two reasons. One, because both franchises’ last two installments have failed to maintain a healthy online population proportional to past entries and the budget of the games. Two, because neither The Coalition nor 343 seem to want to lean into what made the franchises popular to begin with. I’d consider Gears 4/5 to be mediocre Gears titles and Halo 4/5 to be outright bad Halo games. I don’t have a lot of faith that either developer is wise enough to look to what worked before. Both of them seem to be repeating the same mistakes each iteration.

Until there are massive changes on the dev of these titles I think they’ll continue to be dead weight; games that fail to perform in accordance with the budget and development resources dumped into them. That budget could be spent on studio acquisitions or third party exclusives with a better return on investment since neither Halo 5 nor Gears 5 is really drawing people into the Xbox ecosystem. Halo and Gears are unfortunately no longer the tent pole franchises they once were and as a huge fan I’ve been incredibly disappointed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom