• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Zen Aku

I'm surprised millions were willing to sink tons of hours into a half baked game and praise it. But now that bungie is giving those people more of the same the response is largely negative.

It will be interesting to see how the press covers this. Could have another titanfall 2 scenario where first impressions/word of mouth is bad enough a lot of people pass on the game.

That's not why Titanfall 2 didn't sell. You clearly didn't pay attention. Titanfall 2 was reviewed very well and nearly everyone who played it recommended it. It was just badly released sandwiched between Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare.

Wamb0wneD

Destiny is the vision Bungie sold to me and it was awesome... if you just think Destiny is just a mindless shooting then we have nothing to discuss because there is no other shooter in the market that put strategy and team play at the same Destiny level... you need to think, react, cooperate, be smart to be good.

Yeaaaaah right.

Bry0

I expected a bit more than what we seem to be getting, but I am excited for more destiny and new places to see. The atmosphere, lore, combat etc is all excellent. The game exists in a place of its own. The division is the only game I can think of that really tried to do a similar thing.

I'm surprised millions were willing to sink tons of hours into a half baked game and praise it. But now that bungie is giving those people more of the same the response is largely negative.

It will be interesting to see how the press covers this. Could have another titanfall 2 scenario where first impressions/word of mouth is bad enough a lot of people pass on the game.

Destiny 2 will dominate your mother AND your sister, deal with it. praise the sun etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I don't see it. Graphics are obviously beyond what d1 could deliver, the tower under attack with flanking rubble and weather effects showed this clearly, as do the vastly bigger environments, better lighting, and greater levels of detail. Gameplay and gameplay systems have tweaks. Environments are brand new and bigger. Complaints about the previous entry addressed and fixed, this is exactly what a sequel should be.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
I don't think they have shown enough for me to be dissapointed yet. The addition of matchmaking will solve pretty much my biggest complaint with the first game, though. Not sure how I feel about codifying all PvP as 4v4, disappointed in some of the technical details for console and the lack of dedicated servers, I guess, but that's not enough to scare me off.

Then again, I always looked at Destiny as a pretty fun shooter with the structure of an MMO, and it scratched a similar itch for me. I have played and enjoyed a lot of MMOs, so farming, repeating content, etc. is pretty much fine, as long as the gameplay is compelling. On a minute to minute basis, it's more entertaining than a lot of hot-button style MMOs.

A lot of the complaints I have seen about Destiny basically amount to "it is structured too much like an MMO". I don't know why anyone would have expected a total overhaul of the basic game design. I'm hoping it improves and refines the quality and quantity of content, and I don't think we have seen enough of the game yet to judge any of that.

If anything I'm dissapointed by the lack of a new class. I haven't followed carefully enough to know if the old subclasses have been tweaked, either; I would have loved more flexibility in class specialization, although Destiny did a lot of that specialization through gun modification instead of the talent tree like in Borderlands. If they are essentially identical, I WILL be dissapointed, because what is the point of starting from scratch then?

I hope there is actually a reason to explore this time, because exploring in destiny 1 was worthless. Chest had nothing good. I don't mean hidden paths in a strike, but actual free roam exploring.

void666

Banned
Borderlands 2 is more Borderlands but you can sure as fuck tell them apart from a gameplay and visual perspective.

The same is true for destiny 2. Light, particles, sound effects, hud, new enemies, old enemies are bit different. Energy shields are completely different.

Pineapple

I'm kind of weirdly ambivalent on Destiny 2. I'm excited for it, but at the same time, the reveal didn't really do much for me.

I wasn't expecting any new classes, but I was hoping for a new playable race.

I was also hoping to see more of the "open world" type design, but we didn't get a chance to really see it. The Strike that was shown definitely looked like something that could have been part of a previous Destiny expansion.

I hope there is actually a reason to explore this time, because exploring in destiny 1 was worthless. Chest had nothing good. I don't mean hidden paths in a strike, but actual free roam exploring.

Destiny 1 didn't even feel like you were exploring in an actual "world" - it felt like a collection of super long corridors or hallways rather than a seamless world.

RefigeKru

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10TbML18pMg

^Just watched the first 7 minutes of this video and I can honestly say I'm think it's even closer to Destiny 1 than I thought. Animations for the enemies seem to be the same, particle effects for certain attacks/grenades/etc. the same, texture quality, lighting and the image quality in general seems quite close. Smoke effects, the near low damage screen effect, all the same.

Halo 1 - 2 - 3 all manage to look unique compared to one another yet this feels unnervingly similar if you ask me. Not even getting into the features spoken on during the Stream - everything people asked for Destiny 1 to be updated with.

I'm disappointed because I thought Destiny 1 was a great game that consistently felt like wasted potential. I'll keep an open mind but I'm hardly excited by what I've seen so far.

Hawk269

I am a little bit. I did play Destiny for a bit, but stopped after a few months. The one thing that bothered me the most was that the world did not seem that big. You are on earth and the only playable environment on earth was old Russia? I mean, no other earth places. This one has new areas, but it is not clear to me how big and open the areas are going to be and if it is 4 planets, are there going to be only 1 section per planet or will there be multiple areas on each planet to explore in?

So I am a little disappointed, but I most likely will still get it on Scorpio since I think the community on PC will die pretty fast and it not having dedicated servers on PC means it is most likely will be hacked to hell and back.

KageMaru

I'm not so much disappointed with what they revealed but more disappointed with the lack of details with the footage. I want to know how many campaign missions are there, items to collect, and how large the worlds are compared to vanilla Destiny 1. Some new enemy race and a new class would have been cool too but I think that's asking too much from Bungie these days.

I think I've come to terms with this game and the reveal so far...

If the game is consistently as good as Taken King with regards to mission structure, story, and quality, and there is at least as much content as Destiny 1 with Taken King, I might buy it day one.

If it turns out it's the same amount of content as Destiny 1's release, I'm waiting until the "base game + first big DLC" release. That was when Destiny 1 felt like a real game to me.

If it's just as fucking barren of a worthwhile story and just... more aimless threads that go no where... I'm done. Bungie I still remember the end of Halo 2. Get the story part right or I am fucking out for good.

like I said in another thread:

I have a Love/Hate relationship with Destiny 1.

What bums me out with the Destiny 2 is that it feels more like a Reboot back to Year One than an actual sequal.

I appreciate that they are adressing the access to End Game Content for solo players; but I am bummed out that there are no more elements to the game such as vehicles .

You watch cinematics of spacebattles and drop ships but eh you are not getting that Warthog, Banshee equivilant that you would hope for from a Bungee game

cripterion

Destiny is the vision Bungie sold to me and it was awesome... if you just think Destiny is just a mindless shooting then we have nothing to discuss because there is no other shooter in the market that put strategy and team play at the same Destiny level... you need to think, react, cooperate, be smart to be good.

Like virtually every other game out there?
I'm not one to think the game is mindless shooting but let's not put the game on a pedestal either.

Destiny did well despite not living up to the original promise cause people are thirsty for coop experience. Add to that a sci-fi shooter with loot and a renowned studio with the pedigree of Bungie behind it and you have an instant recipe for success.

Absolutely. They're trying so hard to get people to not be excited about the game.

Thankfully, I haven't played Destiny so everything will be fresh for me. But the DLC exclusivity deal, the lack of dedicated server and PC delay could be the main deal breaker(s) for me. I guess we'll see how long they're gonna delay it for me to decide.

Telekap

I don't see it. Graphics are obviously beyond what d1 could deliver, the tower under attack with flanking rubble and weather effects showed this clearly, as do the vastly bigger environments, better lighting, and greater levels of detail. Gameplay and gameplay systems have tweaks. Environments are brand new and bigger. Complaints about the previous entry addressed and fixed, this is exactly what a sequel should be.

I agree. Rewatch the trailer tonight. Everything looks awesome to me. Pretty excited about it.

Sande

I liked what I saw but it sounded like the amount of content might be a problem again.

What I wanted was "Destiny was barely a foundation at release so we're giving you at least 3-4 times as much content and a completely revamped free roam". What I heard was "Destiny is awesome so we're giving you a somewhat expanded version of that".

When it was leaked that the first DLC would be released within a few months like the first game I knew what we were in for to some degree, but I never thought Bungie would pull the exact same setup that Destiny 1 launched with: four planets, few strikes, one raid. The Osiris DLC coming out three months after launch means that they expect people to already be burnt out on the base game by then.

I'm not keen on spending another $170 over a period to play what other games have at launch.

As for the raids themselves, people keep saying how they are the greatest example of strategic and well-executed shooter content, but I don't know why. Almost every single boss encounter in all the Destiny raids can be boiled down to "jump through hoops (usually in the most literal sense), everyone stacks on point/buff and shoots the weakened boss with sniper/heavy weapons, repeat until win or boss enacts enrage mechanic and wipe". I have never seen the rails so fast in a game before.

Matticers

I can't say I'm disappointed overall. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of a new class. I was really hoping we would get at least one new one. I mean, I love Titan/Hunter/Warlock but I want something fresh and we aren't getting that as far as the classes go. Even the new Warlock super is just a cooler version of a weapon that's in Destiny... the Bolt Caster. The new supers are uninspired and the lack of a new class hurts. Hell, even a new element would be awesome... but nope. Same old stuff as far as that goes.

I guess there's still time before release for them to announce something or maybe they would do it for DLC but I really doubt either of those things will happen.

Something involving ships would be cool as well and I'm disappointed they didn't say anything about that. Even if it's having your own that you can customize. Or some kind of space battle of some sort. Or even being able to control/use your ship in a few missions to take out some enemies. I mean, anything would be cool but it seems like they're just ignored even though it's a game that takes place in space. Again, I guess we have to hope for more info before launch or hope for something involving DLC. Not likely, though.

I like what I've seen so far but for me personally the thing that really stings is the lack of a new character and/or element. That would have made it feel a lot more fresh.

Paasei

I am actually looking forward to it quite a bit.

Stopped playing the first one early on after just obtaining the very first light levels.
Controller and FPS don't work that well for me and none of my friends played it.

Now it comes with a PC release, where it will be far easier to keep communities running, especially with clans. kb+m Controls and friends as we are PC gamers primarily.

Dueck

Banned
My socks remained unblown-off, but it could have gone worse. I put in 400+ hours with the original, and this one appears more interesting and fun. I'm excited for it, but it's no Scalebound reaction (RIP).

gatti-man

I'm not keen on spending another $170 over a period to play what other games have at launch..

The destiny hyperbole is in full swing and we haven't even seen the beta. Give me a damn break. No other game even has FPS raids. The amount of content available by the time you spent that $170 was legitimately gargantuan for a shooter. Destiny 2 will be worth $60 in a content metric and no other shooter dwarfs it in content except for maybe COD. People that complained about destiny 1s content usually liked to ignore entire parts of the game. If you played pve and pvp there was always something to do.

And your raid description is totally laughable. Did you even play the raids?

Looks fine to me,very excited to play it on pc when released,just hope the population for it holds up otherwise I'll move to console

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
As someone who bounced off if Destiny expecting something more similar to Halo in terms of solo play, 2 didn't do anything for me. But I respect the audience Bungie is going for now.

I do find it odd that there are no new classes. Is it just the same 3 from the first game?

That seems weird. That a full sequel to a game with classes, wouldn't add at least 1 new one.

Upinsmoke

I'm not disappointed, nor blown away. Infact what they showed I kind of expected.

When I was initially in the Alpha and the Beta of Destiny I was genuinely more excited than I've ever been for a while in gaming, I thought this all feels so vast and its only the tip of the iceberg that they are showing, those hours getting up to level 8 and fucking about on the tower were genuinely super fun! Then after a while it tailed off and I really wanted to see more but nothing was dropping, then I traded it in and a while after bought the whole thing again with all expansions included and it was obvious lots had been added but I somehow felt out of the loop, Destiny regulars had the raids down to a tee, it's a very cliquey game, I'd never felt more alone in a game the second time round, a game supposedly aimed at player interaction, there wasn't any really, aside from the random encounters.

I kind of expect the same pattern here, for the game to feel great and massive then get slightly repetitive in terms of missions and enemies which is still playable but nothing new actually drops for a while, that's my biggest concern.

30 fps. Yuck.
Bungie made games with ridiculously balanced competitive play in the past and realizing that Destiny is only the competent co-op portion of their old work was crushing.

I don't understand, they were amazing 10 years ago. Did they lose some key staff when they went independent? This work seems so middling for a once uber talented studio to turn out.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
As a fan (1000s of hours) who tried to temper his view going in as to not overhype.....I'm hyped beyond max levels now.

I thoroughly can't understand the viewpoint of many seeing this as Destiny 1.5: to me, it seems better in almost every way.

anothertech

I'm not keen on spending another $170 over a period to play what other games have at launch..
LoL

Please name one fps that has that amount of content at launch. Just one.

Don't get me wrong, launch destiny had nothing. I agree. But d2 seems to have much more than what d1 offered at launch. And honestly, there are no other fps games with all this kind of content in one place. (Dungeons, Raids, pvp)

120v

i was never super huge on Destiny... just a fun romp when i didn't mind plunking down money on PS+.... so i don't have a particular list of grievances i wanted "fixed"

what i've seen so far is about what i've expected. it's a huge game so i didn't expect some insane graphical overhaul; it looks quite nice. i think more classes risked whacking out the balance so i'm fine with leaving out additions. i dunno, i never expected a revolution.

highrider

Banned
Really like the environments and it looks great, but I could never get in to the raid/pvp stuff. I kind of hoped for the great haloesque campaign in the first one and I was somewhat let down by it. Ironically I like the new halo pvp but also let down by the campaign lol. I'll probably get when there's a goty version with more content.

I'm sure the people who've been working on this for the last three years are happy their hard work is getting reduced to "just another rush job."

It's not the consumer's job to concern themselves with the feelings of the staff creating a product and advertising it for sale.

Disappointment is disappointment. Bad first impressions don't go away easily. Sorry.

pantsmith

It's not the consumer's job to concern themselves with the feelings of the staff creating a product and advertising it for sale.

Disappointment is disappointment. Bad first impressions don't go away easily. Sorry.

To be clear, theres nothing wrong with being dissapointed. I just think calling it "an obvious rush job" is insulting to all of the obvious hard work that went into it.

.hacked

Not at all, played so much Destiny so far I am just loving everying I see.

Looks like they didn't fuck up my favorite game and just made it better, can't wait to try.

RAWRferal

Disappointed they couldn't move to 60fps on consoles and the usual repetition of content seems to be on the cards. Some interesting improvements to matchmaking and seamless PvE stuff have me semi-interested.

Wouldn't say I'm hyped though.

Vengal

Did they mention if the social space won't suck this time? I went into destiny thinking that tower was going to be like ark ships from PSO but was greeted with Diablo 2 towns. If you want this to be a social game you need the tools to actually make it social. Atleadt in Diablo 2 you had a chat room to meet people.

As someone that never played much of Destiny 1 because I wanted it to come to PC, so far Destiny 2 isn't showing me anything to be hyped about. I havent seen anything that looks as interesting visually as some of the locations in the first game either.

I'd love an interesting world to explore\open world like.

I'll wait to see how it unfolds but so far... no hype.

ethomaz

Banned
That's not vanilla Destiny.

Vanilla Destiny = launch era Destiny.

Shit was rough. Even people who love the game now admit that.
The peak was bigger in Vanilla Destiny...

A big part of Destiny player base found vanilla Destiny better than actual Destiny.

Top Bottom