• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

Xamdou

Was expecting 60fps for consoles, new class, cooler looking boss and dedicated servers. If they allow 60fps on the Scorpio then I am in.

Dineren

Banned
I didn't mind it, I liked the original Destiny for the most part and really just wanted an improved campaign. The mission they showed looked great, but no one will know until release if the rest of the campaign is decent or if it has the same issues the original had. I was also glad to see additional activities in patrol as well as the QOL features they added in.

I am disappointed about the crucible being 4v4 now though. I typically play online with 2 others and we are not that good (
we lost something like 80 games in a row in trials
) so with only 4 people if one or two of us have a bad game it is going to have a much bigger impact on the team. It's definitely going to make me less likely to play in pvp.

I definitely am, it seems way more like Destiny 1.5 than a sequel. Lots of QoL changes, but the rest just seems like more Destiny.

As someone who bought the first game, realized I wasted my money and never returned to it after trading it in, I was definitely hoping that this would be more of an AC1 to AC2 type of evolution. Instead it looks more like a DLC pack for the first game.

So yeah, disappointed. I was definitely interested in a sequel, but after yesterday's reveal I can safely say I'll have more room to play other games this Fall that I care way more about.

The bolded is my thoughts exactly. Ever since the inital launch, I wave having fun with the game, but kept thinking "When they get around to Destiny 2, it's going to be an amazing thing." Then yesterday's event was...not that.

Thinking back, after they put out The Taken King and everyone forgave Bungie for year 1, I should've seen the writing on the wall. That's on me.

Still awhile until launch, and even though cutting Crucible to 4v4 sucks, the campaign looks good. Destiny 2 seems okay, but it wasn't what I wanted it to be.

JlNX

Your not going to see big jumps in GAAS sequels to be fair, if destiny wasn't GAAS you would be going from just destiny one to destiny two with 3 destiny 1 expansions added on it would be a massive change. But because the game had expansions and updates over the last three years focused on key changes that you would only expect of sequels it's not going to be radically different. GAAS sequels are more about being able to change fundemental design issues be it the engine or core progression design etc. If you are talking about visuals well the more graphically advanced the game the more time consuming it is to develop content on a quick schedule, so bungie who are in a position were they couldn't keep up with the demand for content don't need increased graphical fidelity lenghting ther development timeline. Now Bungie have increased graphical fidelity in ways that won't effect development time like weather, lighting etc nothing that effects asset creation.

The initial reveal and what Bungie was saying peaked my interest.

The strike gameplay has kind of soured me a little bit though. Noticing a lot of reused assets there and one of my biggest complaints of the original (vanilla) destiny was the repetition of fighting the same enemies. That strike gameplay looked like it could have been vanilla destiny on Venus.

Also, the boss battle was sorely disappointing. I was hoping for something more creative than another bullet sponge with swarms of regular enemies.

The campaign sounds interesting though and I hope it lives up to expectations. Vanilla was terrible in this regard but I've heard TTK fixed some of that. I want variety.

All the matchmaking stuff sounds neat too. I'm hopeful that I'll finally be able to experience the raid content.

I don't know what people were expecting when claiming that it doesn't look like a sequel. Perhaps a completely different game... A racing game? Puzzler? Maybe a dating sim? And then there are people who are upset by the changes, the very things that only make sense for a sequel.

I'm personally happy with all the new info and changes. Can't wait.

Having new classes and enemies and dedicated servers is just too much for Destiny fans. Having new classes, Too radical of a change!

If Nintendo ever listened to these types of fans they never would have made BOTW.

Koh

A single look in any Destiny 2 thread answers the title question with the exact same content as the OP.

How could you seriously be asking that?

I was neither excited or disappointed. I need to know more.

Brohan

4vs4 pvp, no new classes, no new enemy races and seemingly only one raid got me disappointed.

Alot of assets and animations seemed to be just taken straight out of destiny 1.

I was definitely expecting alot more new stuff.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
As someone who hasn't played the first (no console) and was just watching to get a glimpse at what I'll be getting on the PC, I didn't feel like I was served by the reveal at all. Lots of lore and cutscenes and a linear, bad looking gameplay demo and I checked out and just waited for any relevant news later.... which also ended up being disappointing (battle.net, delayed release date).

So yeah, pretty disappointing reveal but not as disappointing as missing out on the first game altogether. So whatever, I'll live.

Dude, c'mon, I'm entitled to my opinions. Just because GAF loves Destiny doesn't mean I have to. I didn't connect with the game because it failed to provide a continuously compelling experience and my tolerance for doing the same shit over and over (in the same damn map) is very low.

You can't deny this. This game was universally shit on

It's hardly universallt shot. And it's hardly just loved by Gaf as evidence by the sales. If you are a silo player yeah it's not that great but if you have a clan or a group of friends who play it was awesome. I've also met a ton of friends online playing destiny that I still communicate with after I stopped playing the game.

N7.Angel

3 things disappointment me:

1) it's more like a soft-reboot, not a sequel for sure, Destiny 1.2.
2) the PC version will not be up at launch, it's a scandal.
3) consoles version are 30FPS...

I had low expectations and I still found myself disappointed and lacking interest.

I probably won't buy it, everything that made me quit the first game is still present.

These Destiny 2 threads are going to be a lot like the Ghost Recon Wildlands threads when the game releases. Where it's just prime examples of how out of touch with the mainstream the majority of GAF is.

Not to say there isn't stuff to critique about D2 but the level of hyperbole around the game is huge

Navy Bean

Looks like a good balance between new and familiar. It's not Destiny 1 nor an expansion, but you can't mistake it for another game. It's Destiny. If you expect something completely different then you don't know what the meaning of a sequel is.

Activision Board room: "Guys, we sold 25 Million copies of D1 and people played thousands of hours and still play a ton three years later. Let's blow it up and start from scratch on Destiny 2 to maybe (doubtfully) please the people we didn't reach." Lol.

kiguel182

It seems to be an improved Destiny instead of reinventing the wheel. Given how much I enjoyed Destiny I'm fine with that but it didn't blow my mind.

I just hope the content pipeline is better and there's a ton of it.

jond76

Banned
They actually expanded on exploration quite a bit. The worlds are much bigger and there's more to do within them. Some of the most notable additions are treasure hunts and dungeon-like hidden areas.

Are there any videos or articles about this? It makes me interested

bones123

"We have a few new strikes, and a new raid."

Yeah, I'd fucking hope so, this is a new game is it not?

The fact that there's zero new enemies is pretty lame, that was the worst part about playing through D1, was that shooting the same predictable enemies over and over again got boring pretty quick.

These Destiny 2 threads are going to be a lot like the Ghost Recon Wildlands threads when the game releases. Where it's just prime examples of how out of touch with the mainstream the majority of GAF is.

Not to say there isn't stuff to critique about D2 but the level of hyperbole around the game is huge

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I don't think many outside the Destiny community on GAF understand that the game is really big and only poised to get bigger.

I feel like Destiny 2 and ARMS are moving inverse, momentum wise.

Destiny 2 is such a tantalizing prospect, but the more I see if the less I'm impressed. Arms is on the other hands has looked more and more promising every single time. The science of reveals and lead up is fascinating.

finalflame

Gold Member
Looks good, and the simple fact this is coming to PC means I'll buy it and double dip. I liked the original formula a lot and the QoL changes are enough to justify $60 for me.

With that said, I am a bit disappointed that there's no new class. Truth be told, the D1 formula made them beaucoup bucks and they have little reason to change it dramatically for D2 or any future Destiny games until it becomes stale.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I don't think many outside the Destiny community on GAF understand that the game is really big and only poised to get bigger.

It did over 1.2 million players in PvE and over 600k in PvE in one day as recently as 1 month ago. In it's 3rd year it's still that huge.

There's just a giant disconnect around the way general audiences have received this game and the vibe of it on GAF outside of the OTs

Definitely underwhelming. I said it in the other thread, but I was a little late to the livestream and popped in.

I seriously thought, "Oh, they must be showing the last expansion for Destiny 1 before showing Destiny 2?"

I also thought it was pretty damned cringey that they were using the reveal to talk about QoL improvements to their shitty design choices.

"In Destiny 2, you no longer have to sit through three loading screens to travel somewhere!!!"

*crowd goes fucking wild*

I wouldn't say I'm cautiously optimistic, but there was nothing in the reveal that made me think, "This is what Destiny should have been." It's mostly more Destiny 1, with some sensible tweaks, improvements to insanely mundane/grindy D1 aspects, larger areas, etc. Plus the nebulous promise of "better/more story".

molnizzle

Extremely disappointed.

It did over 1.2 million players in PvE and over 600k in PvE in one day as recently as 1 month ago. In it's 3rd year it's still that huge.

There's just a giant disconnect around the way general audiences have received this game and the vibe of it on GAF outside of the OTs

Plenty of shit movies sell millions of tickets too. Doesn't make them good.

Z3M0G

It's exactly what I expected it would be... with some changes I really wanted the first game to have.

But at the same time, I didn't bother buying the last DLC for Destiny, and didn't finish all the quests in TTK... so this wasn't something that "WOW"d me enough to pull me back. Though I bet it will have QOL changes significant enough that I will want to return...

But I'm also tempted to say "No Darkness = No Buy"... I wanted D1 to have a Cabal Expansion... I wanted D2 to get back to The Darkness, you know, who was threatening the entire solar system / galazy / universe at the BEGINNING of the first game... :/

N7.Angel

Since when popularity=Quality ?

Rocketz

To me I was only disappointed in no 60 FPS for Crucible. I wasn't expecting it for the main game.

I'm not jumping over joy over the reveal but it's more Destiny. I wasn't looking for them to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure I'll see more later that will excite me more.

CryptiK

After all the starting Destiny 2 like a new game, its going to be a huge upgrade etc and then getting shown what basically is Destiny 1 with a new campaign, Im kind of meh. At least its on PC this time.

Looks great. They're keeping all the shit that worked and fixing or outright changing what didn't.
They can't fuck with what they already established. while people who didn't like the first game were hoping for a large overhaul, Destiny already has a huge community and they want as much as possible to still be in the game. They're not going to throw shit out and replace it just so they can say it's new. Destiny 1 wasn't Assassins Creed 1. Destiny has a large following that are really dedicated to it. You don't fuck with the desires of that many hardcore fans.

I know Gaf doesn't like to admit it, but Destiny 1 was far from a failure. It doesn't need an overhaul. If you don't like it go play something else.

Tengrave

Very disappointed. This is coming off Rise of Iron. I don't know what's the big sell here. More is fine but I don't think that enough to convince any lapsed players I know.

This. I really don't understand what people expected.

An improvement on the first game? We haven't seen any content or improvements yet that couldn't have been in an expansion.

No new classes? Seriously?

And no dedicated servers for an online only FPS MMO in 2017? Seriously?

Locked 30FPS on consoles for a 4v4 Multiplayer? Seriously?

Also if anyone wants to accuse me of being a "hater", check my post history about the OG Destiny. I was gushing about it after playing the Alpha, Beta and retail releases. It simply wore thin and I expected more....a LOT more....from a true sequel.

I've played Destiny almost everyday on the unloved Xbone for the past year and I'm excited and hopeful. I'm concerned I won't like the changes to the weapon slots for strikes and raids, but we'll see. The UI and brighter ability effects are different enough to trigger an "I am afraid of change" response, but I suspect I'll get over that very quickly.

I don't think anyone here thinks the game isn't going to sell (okay, maybe a few), doesn't change how I feel about the presentation yesterday.

Stiler

I was.

I was hoping for something more of a leap ahead, taking what was good about the first game (the gunplay/character designs,, etc) and then fixing what was a letdown, like linear world designs (IE going out of bounds = you die) and lack of matchmaking, lack of more rpgness (dialogue choices when talking to npc's, etc).

The reveal just felt like more of an expansion to me, like you said, no new classes, same basic enemies, etc.

The fact that they literally have ONE raid and "three" new strikes feels really really barebones to me too.

Raven117

Gold Member
Can't wait to give it another go.

I am irked that I have to level all the subclasses again when 2 of the 3 are pretty much the same...that shit takes forever

Very disappointed, but certainly not surprised. Activision and Bungie had all the resources to make an amazing sequel that innovated and solved the problems of the first game.

Instead, they give us what could have been an expansion for the first game. Such a shame.

An improvement on the first game? We haven't seen any content or improvements yet that couldn't have been in an expansion.

And no dedicated servers for an online only FPS MMO in 2017? Seriously?

I mean we have. There were clearly lots of them. Destiny was hamstrung by a lot of development decisions and having to account for the large parity gap between the PS3 gen and PS4 gen. They were able to push things further with more encounters after they dropped last-gen support for Rise of Iron, but even from what little we've seen there are many improvements that couldn't have existed in D1.

Plenty of shit movies sell millions of tickets too. Doesn't make them good.

Since when popularity=Quality ?

Since essentially always. I've always sided in the side of the market in almost every industry. The market dictates what is consumed and what is enjoyed by the largest swaths of humanity not the niche. That's not to say smaller or more niche art / projects can't and aren't amazing but the idea that popular = bad is never, ever true. It is resonating with huge amounts of people, it cannot be objectively declared "shitty". It can however not appeal to your tastes.

I hate the Transformers films massively. I will not declare them a shit product though as millions of people are enjoying it and who the hell am I to tell them they are wrong.

Kai Ozu

I was hoping for the same jump Halo CE to Halo 2 was.

It looks very much the same, I wanted a larger evolution. Also the music that I've heard doesn't tickle me like Bungie's past work.

But I'll make my final judgment when the beta comes out.

Mikey Jr.

For a studio working on a game for 3 years, and apparently with more than 750 people working on it, you'd think we'd see something dramatically different.

But yeah, a couple new guns, some armor, some new locations. Alright guys, lets call it a day.

I'll say this, I'm excited for Destiny 3 right now.

I feel like right now maybe they are a little too beholden to their current userbase and are afraid to do something bigger.

Because what I saw from that strike was "same ol' same ol'"

The 4 v 4 crucible sounds like a downgrade honestly. And you can't even go from a raid to a crucible match without kicking 2 of your party members. Literally what the fuck lol.

Top Bottom