• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else frustrated with people ignoring objective in online games? (BF4)

Derpcrawler

Hello, I've been playing quite a lot of Battlefield 4. Before that I played every BF game on console and PC starting with first Bad Company.

Back then I was nub and scrub, but still I would play to win, and every match I would have fun, no matter how many times I died and generally people in Rush (my favorite mode) would always try their best to win, so every game was fun, even when losing, it would be pretty close games that could be won if our team would play a bit better. With BC2 I got better with the game, I started playing more aggressively, if I played Recon, I would always play with M14 and C4 to destroy buildings and objectives in Rush with any campers sitting in those buildings, otherwise I would play support to heal people. I learned how to fly a chopper, so IMO I was good asset to any team and I won more games than I lost. Game was still fun to play and I didn't notice lot of campers or scrubs, except for Anchorage map first spawn (Alaska Coast, forgot the exact name).

In BF3 I really started to play to Win no matter the cost and that's when I started to notice how bad some of my team mates are, and how lot of people play some useless classes (like Recon in Metro, when we take out first set of objectives, why would you play Recon with sniper rifle in close quarters?). I saw more people running clueless, no one would spot enemies, which was so obvious, since in BC2 whole screen would shine like Christmas tree with enemy markers.

Now BF4, I played on PS3 and now on PS4. While I have very good stats (not for bragging, just to prove my point - 2.4KD ratio, 3.1W/L ratio or around 75% of wins, I mostly play Assault and Engineer) I feel so frustrated with the game a lot of times, in first few weeks it was amazing, I would play with amazing teammates, but as more people buy console and game, I see more and more people trying to play Battlefield like it's CoD. On some maps I see as more than half of my team playing Recon.

Here is most radical example I had with bad team mates. I played a game on Hainan Resort, we were in attack, 10 out of 16 people on my team played as Recon camping on that stupid island between spawn and attack points. Knowing that some scrub would get into a chopper I tried to get in it first, and surely some Recon hero gets in it first, fly to the rocks to the side of enemy base jumps out leaving me to my death on passenger seat. I wait for respawn, want to see where LAV is, and surely it's on that god damn Sniper Pussies island camping with all the recons and spamming Zuni rockets and main gun at enemy base. Waiting for Little Bird to respawn, finally got into it and I just obliterate enemies, they pretty much all reroll engineers trying to take me down from the spawn point (area with trees/grass), so base is almost fucking empty. And what does my team do? Nothing, they keep camping on that fucking island.

The only The other 5 who didn't play recon where support and engineers, 2 of those were in LAV so I joined squad with 2 engineers and 1 support. Those guys tried their best to plant bomb on B, but enemies just digged in building and 2 guys couldn't do much, since 1 engineer was constantly repairing me because of Stinger spam. So what we do is LEAVE the chopper, all 4 of us go to B, kill everyone inside, PLANT the bomb, get back into chopper before it's destroyed/hijacked and we successfully defend B. But we tried to plant A over and over again with no luck, since it's easier to defend 1 point vs 2, and enemies would just constantly spam Stingers at us causing chopper to lose throttle.

I went 51-8 in the chopper, those 3 guys with me all had 20+ kills and less than 10 deaths, while morons on that Island had 5-10 kills but also 10-15 deaths because other team Recons could snipe them easily since all of the were on tiny island. Even with good stats and doing the best I can that match I just turned off the game and didn't go back to it for 3-4 days, despite double XP week. I was raging so hard and not like it's a single case, the more time pass since launch the more I see people playing stupid Recon class while not even doing that good in K/D ratios. Zavod 311? Half of the team is guaranteed to play Recon on that.

tl;dr CoD players jumping into BF4 as Recon make me rage.

P.S.
To prove it's not a story out of my ass, here is my battlelog, as you can see I play almost exclusively with Assault/Engineer, and my Recon is specced to take out heavy armor and get spawn points close to objectives.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Shizo/stats/170426396/ps4/

Delete if not thread worthy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is a common occurrence, but yeah it's especially bad in Battlefield. Feels like my entire team is playing Recon from our base sometimes.

Derrick01

Banned
tl;dr CoD players jumping into BF4 as Recon make me rage

Yes me too. I've found this game to be completely unplayable between the massive amount of vehicles combined with my awful starting gear (the whole set should be unlocked right away, fucking COD), and at least half of the opposing team playing Recon and camping. I wish we could get BC2 back but honestly with how popular the series has gotten it probably wouldn't help, the COD crowd would find a way to ruin that too.

I just played a round of Rush with a team that ran away from an armed MCOM after killing the opposing players around it. More points for me, I guess, but this sort of behavior is baffling.

Yeaaah. . . randoms stink. The only games I played in the last few years where it was easy to get a good team of randoms who'd play as a team was RSV1/2.

I get very tired of this too. Sometimes my squad will throw smoke grenades at our snipers laying on the ground, not helping.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It's pretty terrible nowadays. Some friends had changed their Steam names to variations of "Do the fucking objective" for a few months while playing some objective based team games because no one ever did them.

Hip Hop

tl;dr CoD players jumping into BF4 as Recon make me rage.

They are Battlefield players, this has nothing to do with COD. I'd even say it's because of console players, but not to say people don't play like this on PC as well.

This has always been a thing with Battlefiled even in older games like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142, and any other objective based game in other video games.

I have found this hugely frustrating but calm down guys, they're going to learn how to play it properly one day (you hope) or eventually they'll stop playing.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This happens a lot in Killzone, there are times where I am the only one setting up spawn beacons, healing, gunning to the objective. Playing that game without communication only makes me angrier.

Sorral

Rush was my favorite mode to play in BF2:BC and BF3. But in BF4, too many people don't know what an M-COM is, so I pretty much stopped going into Rush unless I'm in a squad full of friends + Party chat.

Domination ended up as my go-to mode now because I can actually do something in there along with TDM.

This happens a lot in Killzone, there are times where I am the only one setting up spawn beacons, healing, gunning to the objective. Playing that game without communication only makes me angrier.

Yeah... My spawn beacon in KZ was maxed out so fast because I end up in too many matches where no one bothers to use them.

Derpcrawler

It's easy to say "get friends". Thing is I am in East Asia (China). But my chinese is not great, so I can't play with chinese folks, and not like there are many console in Asia any way, the best connection I have is to US West Coast, but because of the time difference it's hard to find a person who is from US and plays very late night/early morning.

On top of that there is no way to gather your sqaud at all before joining the game, few times I tried to join someone on my friend list, I would end up on opposing team. The only AsianGafer who is playing BF4 actively on my friend list actually plays it during weird times when I am not online lol.

Briarios

Nothing sours a game for me more than pretentious players who think their enjoyment is more important than someone else's ... Especially when that someone else is a new player trying to learn.

If you want to play with serious players, play with the same team every time. If you're just logging into a public game, and expecting everyone to play the way you want ... Well, your expectation is out of line. These are games and entertainment ... As long as you're not harassing someone, people should be able to play how they want.

MOPP 4

Banned
Is this just a console thing? Every (playable) game of BF4 I played on PC had people working together despite almost all of them not being on my friend's list.

I completely agree, and hopefully one day developers will make adjustments for this problem. Get rid of K/D ratio stats on objective modes, make the points you get from kills a lot less significant than the points you gain from capturing/defending an objective. Pretty much force game design around teamwork IMO.

zulfate

Ammo motherfucker im looking right at you.ammoammoammoammoR1R1R1R1Ammoam
For fucks sake ammo! And that goes for health too. I mean i play assualt and support and the first thing i naturally want to do is toss my secondary even of noone is there.

Seriously i bought a ps4 and bf4 primarily to play with a friend but fuck what is going on console brothers? To many things going on or what?

If you're on the ps4 i play to win 85% of the time, the other 15% is when i am too high i cant really pay attention......but even then i still drop ammo!!!!

Add: sulfate on ps4

Briarios

I completely agree, and hopefully one day developers will make adjustments for this problem. Get rid of K/D ratio stats on objective modes, make the points you get from kills a lot less significant than the points you gain from capturing/defending an objective. Pretty much force game design around teamwork IMO.

Actually, I've never really understood the point of rewarding individual things like that in objective modes. I totally agree with you there. It should be all about the mode you're playing. I personally prefer objective stuff, but you often seem to get more rewards running off doing your own thing :/

Derpcrawler

Nothing sours a game for me more than pretentious players who think their enjoyment is more important than someone else's ... Especially when that someone else is a new player trying to learn.

If you want to play with serious players, play with the same team every time. If you're just logging into a public game, and expecting everyone to play the way you want ... Well, your expectation is out of line. These are games and entertainment ... As long as you're not harassing someone, people should be able to play how they want.

I doubt people who are rank 20+ in Battlefield 4 are learning the basics of the game, I saw people rank 90+ who do that from one match to another, just spawn as Recon and camp contributing nothing to the team.

Kids need to jump the fuck off my lawn.

And by kids I mean anyone young and inexperienced enough in online behaviour to believe this has anything to do with Call of Duty.

Briarios

I doubt people who are rank 20+ in Battlefield 4 are learning the basics of the game, I saw people rank 90+ who do that from one match to another, just spawn as Recon and camp contributing nothing to the team.
Ok, yeah, I'm on your side on that ... That's pretty uncool at that level. I'm not even sure what would be fun about that ...

komorebi

In short: yes.

When I switched from console to PC (for Battlefield 3) I hoped that the increased player count would mean a larger percentage of people going for the objectives. In some cases it was true but for the most part it meant more Recons dicking around.

Derpcrawler

For fucks sake ammo! And that goes for health too. I mean i play assualt and support and the first thing i naturally want to do is toss my secondary even of noone is there.

Seriously i bought a ps4 and bf4 primarily to play with a friend but fuck what is going on console brothers? To many things going on or what?

If you're on the ps4 i play to win 85% of the time, the other 15% is when i am too high i cant really pay attention......but even then i still drop ammo!!!!

Holy fuck man, how I understand that. I had level 23 guy playing support, having no clue that he can even drop ammo. That is just mind boggling. I spam R1, yell in to the mic and I get maybe ammo 1 out of 5 times I ask for it.

But what time are you playing? As I said, I am in Asia, so 13 hours difference with US East and 10 hours difference with US West.

At the moment, I'm transitioning from assault to recon. As I recall from my BC2 days, it took me ages to get any good with the recon class, but I got there in the end.

Now people who don't spot and play as recon? Horrible.

wiggleb0t

Banned
I think a great solution would be to implement auto spotting snipers...
Often they'll not bother spotting as they clearly want to get the kill and not care about the objective... Such a cluster fuck!

Recently I played a match of Awesomenauts where all the other team needed to do was team up and destroy our base while everything they had was untouched, but they were 100% focused on kills. We'd send one teammate out at a time. They'd get killed, but they would chip away slowly. By the time they figured out they desperately needed to get our base, everyone was maxed out and we won. Their kill/death team ratio had to be five times our team.

Insaniac

yeah playing with friends as squadmates is really the only way to go. So frustrating when no one spots things either.

lol amen. Literally no one seems stingier than the people with the ammo for some reason. It's like they don't realize they have the ability to put it out. And it makes a big difference!

I see this happen in both COD and BF.

I played BF3 and most of the time, people never did the objective. Everyone would try to go for kills, and just ignore everything else. There's nothing more irritating then seeing snipers near the base, or someone not even trying to go near the objective (especially if they're running from it). Wish I could play with teammates to have a more focused squad, but alas. None of my friends in my list own or play BF as much.

In COD it's the same. Everyone's playing Domination and no one tries to capture the points. You usually have those few people on the team who forget they didn't select TD when they picked there game mode. While having 50 kills in a Domination match is cool, it doesn't matter if you didn't help capture points to actually win the match.

zulfate

Holy fuck man, how I understand that. I had level 23 guy playing support, having no clue that he can even drop ammo. That is just mind boggling. I spam R1, yell in to the mic and I get maybe ammo 1 out of 5 times I ask for it.

But what time are you playing? As I said, I am in Asia, so 13 hours difference with US East and 10 hours difference with US West.

Haha oh man that reminds me of a guy once many moons ago playing WOW and he was like level 50 paladin-who did not know he can resurrect @_@

Well my friend i usually jump on around 7-8pm pacific time, lately though i havent been online much but add me anyways.

Joeki11a

Banned
btw I noticed a guy who just sat in my vehicle as I captured stuff, wtf man shoot the gunner or something, free points loader!

MadSexual

I'm somewhere around rank 13 and I'm still trying to learn. I'll probably still be terrible and desperate for guidance when I hit rank 50. People learn at very different rates. This is my very first competitive online shooter. I don't camp recon like the people you describe, but I'm sure I do a ton of stupid stuff. How about this: when you see people like me, give us helpful advice.

wiggleb0t

Banned
lol amen. Literally no one seems stingier than the people with the ammo for some reason. It's like they don't realize they have the ability to put it out. And it makes a big difference!

Why give out ammo when they can get the kill? Seriously that seems like the mentality with a lot of people judging by snipers not spotting etc..

You guys should play with me. (PC -- cannibalchef) I drop ammo like crazy. I usually end up pretty high on the leaderboard because even though I suck at shooting, I get a lot of points from ammo refills.

Unfortunately I am probably encouraging all these recon fucks because I often airdrop onto their locations, drop a bunch of ammo for them and then leave :\

Gears of Fucking War 3

I literally got MVP 90% of the time in KotH because pretty much everyone else ignored capturing the ring. So fucking annoying.

Mononoke

Banned
Happens all the time in MOBAs with pretentious carries that just want their pentakill.

DOTA 2 pub matches, where the entire team is carries. Or when you have a jungler that refuses to leave the jungle the entire game. Yeah, they need to farm because they are a hard carry. BUT if the other team is pushing up against the barracks, or is dominating a lane....come and fuckin help. My god.

Nothing is worse than a 40 + minute match being thrown by people refusing to help.

But the most satisfying thing in the world in BF4 is finding a clump of those camping snipers roosting on some roof or high point and then wiping them out.

Teamwork and going for objectives is what makes BF but at the same time, people that get way too melodramatic about people needing to go for objectives can be annoying too.

Same here. If I play with randoms, moe often than not it's usually because of me and 1 or 2 other players. I'm usually the one planting and defusing and placing spawn beacons. I usually sacrifice my K:D ratio to get the win but end up MVP because of all my mission points. But playing with other GAFfers is great because we PTFO and put up 4-5 spawn beacons every match.

BF3 caused me endless frustration 90% of the time. Even with mics on, this one random guy was all "Imma hang back and snipe!" My reply was "you did that for 10 minutes but you only got 5 kills to 12 deaths. Come capture some points with me." That fool never did...

But 10% of the time, I get awesome randoms.

I don't find it too bad in BF4 to be honest, and I only play with randoms. It helps that I only play Conquest so kills still directly effect the score.

Top Bottom