• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else getting fed up?

Class_A_Ninja

Jun 26, 2008
I find it exhausting trying to squint for every news story from either side to see the story behind it. My imagination is occasionally able to draft the news as if it were just regular “the president did this thing today in honor of x at y summit”.
When the Ukraine thing broke, I was pretty sure that is what presidents did, but who knows. I dont know, because no one gave a shit about minutia before. It took Breaking and Entering and failed covert invasions to make a scandal back in the day.

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Absolutely fed up. I am a Libertarian who interprets the philosophy as "You don't fuck with me and I wont fuck with you". Meaning I could care less about what other people do... until it impacts me. (ie Your rights end where mine begin). I am non interventionist who believes in sound money and balanced budgets. But damn if I haven't spent the last 3 years defending Trump from nutjobs. Which is funny as any time Trump does something I disagree with I voice it via letter to WH, my two senators, my congressman and when relevant my local government. These TDS folks are scary. Its like some new death cult. And of course partisanship begets more partisanship.... le sad

Singular7

Jan 9, 2018
No. He ran to stroke his ego. That's all there is to it. He only cares about the country because he lives in it.
I hope Trump wins, because he does love the country.

But I agree, I don't think he really understands what that means.

To him it's the "flag" ... which means nothing.

But it's better than those opposed to the idea the US represents.

Reactions: Arkam

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
I hope Trump wins, because he does love the country.

But I agree, I don't think he really understands what that means.

To him it's the "flag" ... which means nothing.

But it's better than those opposed to the idea the US represents.
Depends on the idea. It changes depending on who you ask.

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
Don’t know if I can necessarily believe that.

The ability of tech and media conglomerates to manipulate people is greater than any power on earth has ever had.
Nah, I’m sure a celebration of grizzly bears shark-surfing the pyroclastic flow of the Yellowstone super volcano would be a greater power.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I know this is a double post but I think this sentence shows how strong modern media brainwashing is.

Immigration was just one example where Democrats & Republicans use to agree. But the idea that Republicans "just don't care about women's rights,healthcare" etc again, looks foolish.

Who do you think passed the civil rights act of 1964? It was more Republicans than Democrats that wanted to give equal rights to Black people and women.

Yet today, the media has spun it so that "only Republicans are Nazis and Democrats are the good guys". There's clearly a reason for all of this. It's to push an agenda that ensures only one political party can have permanent control over the U.S.
Totally not the party of Jim Crow.
:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah that's not going to happen. The two sides are fundamentally opposed to each other. Their agendas cannot exist at the same time. Everything one side wants the other side doesn't want. We have arrived at a point where the only time things will get done with regularity is when one side has a majority in the House and in the Senate.

Our government is not supposed to be enforcing the will of a side. If anything, it is designed to stay away from most controversial issues. I highly recommend the above vid, it's not particularly partisan, more of a breakdown of the Federalist papers which explain Founder intent.

The great struggle today is many people expect government to move mountains for them, when in fact the role of government in a free society is to get the fuck out of our way. If you fundamentally disagree with this assessment, and would prefer a government which exerts strong control over our way of life, I would highly recommend doing some research, picking a country, and moving to a different country. Because what you are asking for is a system counter to the one designed here, which our forefathers fought and died for. Plenty of other countries exist which would be closer to what you seek, and were designed with a more centralized, authoritarian hand that allows the government the level of control and functionality you seem to seek. This is not that place.

I realize this is, in a polite way, similar to saying 'love it or leave it', but honestly, rather than try to turn a bastion of liberty into an authoritarian bureaucracy, just move to pin the tail on Europe. Let those that treasure liberty have this country back, because this neverending pressure to create more legislation is not helping our country. We judge lawmakers on how many bills they can pass, ignoring the fact we hate most of the laws, never read them to begin with, and don't have time to read 1000 pages of pork anyway. We need to celebrate ripping up things like the Patriot Act, not hoping for one party rule so more laws get passed half the country hates.

Just a thought. You really should watch the vid.

Whataborman

Apr 19, 2018
Bush was in power in for 8 years and Trump is looking to do the same if he doesn't screw up.

So that's 16 years of Republicans not actually foaming at the mouth of "why isn't the President appealing to racism"?

But here's a challenge for you. Can you explain to me without using that one Wikipedia article why I should believe the Republican Party supposedly represents White Supremacy and nothing else? Again, I just want to see how is your ability to think for yourself and not what others told you.

For example, can you show me a single law passed by Republicans that directly benefited only White Americans and excluded every other race. Just show me one.
It's projecting by the democrats.

Republicans have been behind every signigicant piece of civil rights legislation since the Civil War. That's a fact, despite the democrats constantly saying "muh party switch."

Meanwhile, people like Robert Byrd (a literal KKK member) was a proud democrat. Not only that, democrats are proud of him. You can't go five miles in West Virginia without seeing something named after him and when you press liberals on his racism their only response is "he apologized."

Sure, he might have apologized, but how far would have have gotten him if he had a (R) behind his name?

Reactions: HeresJohnny

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Look to what the founding fathers wanted for this country. Does it align with what the Democrats or Republicans have been doing? Democrats have been taking advantage of pandering and "victims" for the longest time. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Politics in general are just a tiring topic. My peeve is always hearing about "the lesser of two evils" or the grass being greener on the other side with a magical perfect 3rd party. You are not always going to get your way. Not even close. Trump has been the closest thing to a genuine president that I can remember in my lifetime. I'll take it.

Oct 2, 2017
The media criticizes him constantly because he constantly deserves to be criticized.
I can understand criticism and agree that it should be used by the press when appropriate, but what we have now is just a bunch of reporters who refuse to report on anything good he might say or do and who selectively skew facts and quotes to always give him a bad headline. They are also actively reporting doom and gloom and signal boosting anything or anyone that will make America (and by association Trump) look bad. I have no doubt they would cheer on a truly evil country such as China taking advantage of us if it will help unseat Trump and are actively hoping the economy tanks and peoples lives are ruined since it was his best case for re-election. Lets also not forget how they are using COVID-19 to try and scare people into submission and actually give China a pass for it because anything bad that happens due to CV is actually Trump's fault. Authoritarian China is a model we should seek to emulate is actually a talking point I have heard. smh

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
what i guess i’m trying to say is that i’m full blown red pill now .. i cannot see myself voting democrat ever again..
as someone who thinks of themselves as pretty reasonable,open to ideas from others, i cannot believe there aren’t many more people like me in this country just fed up
Congrats on not being braindead.

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Hey 404Ender 404Ender if you're still alive, I want you to see something.

There's a reason I want people like you to be more skeptical everytime you come across an article but then wonder why do certain people like me insist on doing a double take.

Because when academics throw around the word "racism", especially to describe the Republican Party after the 1960s, the thing is, they can create any bullshit excuse or narrative that feeds into its own victim complex.

Like take this article that came out today. To a normie, it acts as definitive proof that "See! Republicans use racism to win and Democrats don't" but then read further and you'll find that these bills meant to somehow "stop" racism always end up being trash.

“Inflammatory and racist rhetoric from officials at the highest level of our government has contributed to a disturbing rise in hate crimes targeting Asian Americans,” Hirono said last month when announcing plans to introduce the resolution.
In the future, a lot of people will interpret being against China or pointing out their crimes must make you "racist", even though it's actually countries reacting in self defense. Modern Republicans aren't anymore racist today for pointing out this observation.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

Our government is not supposed to be enforcing the will of a side. If anything, it is designed to stay away from most controversial issues. I highly recommend the above vid, it's not particularly partisan, more of a breakdown of the Federalist papers which explain Founder intent.

The great struggle today is many people expect government to move mountains for them, when in fact the role of government in a free society is to get the fuck out of our way. If you fundamentally disagree with this assessment, and would prefer a government which exerts strong control over our way of life, I would highly recommend doing some research, picking a country, and moving to a different country. Because what you are asking for is a system counter to the one designed here, which our forefathers fought and died for. Plenty of other countries exist which would be closer to what you seek, and were designed with a more centralized, authoritarian hand that allows the government the level of control and functionality you seem to seek. This is not that place.

I realize this is, in a polite way, similar to saying 'love it or leave it', but honestly, rather than try to turn a bastion of liberty into an authoritarian bureaucracy, just move to pin the tail on Europe. Let those that treasure liberty have this country back, because this neverending pressure to create more legislation is not helping our country. We judge lawmakers on how many bills they can pass, ignoring the fact we hate most of the laws, never read them to begin with, and don't have time to read 1000 pages of pork anyway. We need to celebrate ripping up things like the Patriot Act, not hoping for one party rule so more laws get passed half the country hates.

Just a thought. You really should watch the vid.
Great vid, and yes, NI would benefit greatly from listening. The Founders were exceptional human beings, and it’s of a correspondingly exceptional hubris to assume that we’ve all ascended to a higher plane of existence in the couple centuries since their time.

entremet

Dec 6, 2008
Republicans and Democrats are mostly similar in the bigger issues--perpetual war state, corporate welfare, status quo, and so on.

I vote Democrat because I disagree with the GOP in many issues, supply-side economics, foreign policy, environmental policies, and so on.

But it seems you're letting your politics get influenced by culture war nonsense, which both parties love using. No party is perfect. And looking at the worst members of both parties is a bad way to vote.

I'm sure many conservatives on this site disavow the worst representatives in their party as well.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: charlie_s123

Riven326

Would place his sister in the spank bank.
Mar 25, 2019
United States
Great vid, and yes, NI would benefit greatly from listening. The Founders were exceptional human beings, and it’s of a correspondingly exceptional hubris to assume that we’ve all ascended to a higher plane of existence in the couple centuries since their time.
Those that came after decided slavery was wrong. That women should be allowed to vote. That gays shouldn't be discriminated against. The country moved in those directions as a result of questioning long standing ideals. Just as the founders themselves questioned the way things were going which led to war, which led to the founding of a great nation.

The mistake so many of the right make is engaging in idol worship. They do it with Regan all the time. If we are going to take one virtue away from the founders and apply it to our lives today, I think it should be the idea of questioning government and why things are the way they are.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Those that came after decided slavery was wrong. That women should be allowed to vote. That gays shouldn't be discriminated against. The country moved in those directions as a result of questioning long standing ideals. Just as the founders themselves questioned the way things were going which led to war, which led to the founding of a great nation.

The mistake so many of the right make is engaging in idol worship. They do it with Regan all the time. If we are going to take one virtue away from the founders and apply it to our lives today, I think it should be the idea of questioning government and why things are the way they are.
Engaging in idol worship is not something "the left" does or "the right" does. It's part of the human condition. See: the catastrophes of the 20th century.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Bigrx1

Banned
Dec 24, 2015
Yeah I've been really cutting down on my news intake and the political section here and elsewhere lately just because I always end up getting more frustrated and angry. I'm learning I have to take breaks from it for my own sanity.

I relate to what you're saying regarding switching sides as well there was a good thread about this from Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat recently with many, including myself, expressing similar feelings and talking about how they have either changed parti s or just plan on voting differently currently. You should give it a look it shouldn't be buried too far.

• Love
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
I’ve been an independent all my life.. never liked to pigeon hole my political beliefs as I agreed with policies from both sides
i’ve always been of the kind to support whatever President is in office... not waste energy on negativity.. when Obama was President, I would cringe listening to Hannity berate the guy nightly..
now we come to this current climate.. the out of control TDS, the media attacking him constantly, the division in this country and how every moron who feels their opinion means something because twitter gives them a platform..
it was first the russia nonsense, Kavanaugh nonsense..impeachment nonsense.. we move past it.. now we have this pandemic that our biggest rival in the world caused (whether intentionally or not) and the moment has come as a country to stand together..but no.. let’s continue sowing division and fighting amongst ourselves... pointing the finger...

what i guess i’m trying to say is that i’m full blown red pill now .. i cannot see myself voting democrat ever again..
as someone who thinks of themselves as pretty reasonable,open to ideas from others, i cannot believe there aren’t many more people like me in this country just fed up
And just as soon as we have another democratic president, guess which side will be calling for us to unite behind the POTUS for the greater good? :LOL:

Dec 15, 2011
Yeah I've been really cutting down on my news intake and the political section here and elsewhere lately just because I always end up getting more frustrated and angry. I'm learning I have to take breaks from it for my own sanity.

I relate to what you're saying regarding switching sides as well there was a good thread about this from Schrödinger's cat Schrödinger's cat recently with many, including myself, expressing similar feelings and talking about how they have either changed parti s or just plan on voting differently currently. You should give it a look it shouldn't be buried too far.
Thank you for the namecheck. Here's the thread in question:

Apr 18, 2020
USA
I've become so frustrated with the media recently. Especially with the whole Covid business. They're blowing it up way out of proportion and not showing that most deaths are in NY, and most are old and sick people. It doesn't mean these deaths don't matter, it's very sad, but the entire population is completely paranoid now because of the media's handling of the situation.

I blame a big chunk of deaths in America on Cuomo, considering like 1/3 of them were in NY and a huge number were in nursing homes that were forced to accept sick people. But everyone blames it on Trump despite most of the other states being fine all things considered.

MrMephistoX

May 18, 2007
I reached my breaking point this week. 6000 of my colleagues got laid off through no fault of their own and my team was reduced by 50%. Grateful I wasn’t laid off but my coworkers were like family: I don’t blame the virus I blame Gavin Newsom. We needed to flatten the curve, start wearing masks and social distance we did all that and his smarmy smiling ass keeps moving the goal posts.

bRacing

Feb 13, 2020
no he does not.. i agree he can be rude and egotistical but i’ve accepted that already as long as he continues to try to do what he says... and he has done many things he has said he will do

just imagine how much more we could accomplish if they worked together .. there is common ground in areas
The dipshit touted the ratings for his virus press conferences as thousands died every day. He can fuck off.

Tell_men

Apr 13, 2020
ugh and that is the worst
i can’t believe how many people out there think what they say carries any weight..
i see people quoting randoms on twitter and wondering who the fuck are these people
More often than not, those random tweeters are people who paid a company to retweet/build up their account to gain prominence. They have thousands of fake followers that are nothing more than shell accounts from a corporation to make them look like they have credibility. “I tweet, therefore I am” is me mocking those that spend their lives tweeting away because its their way to say the world, hey I exist, hear me! No one hears you.