• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

anyone else going through open world fatigue?

Bowler

Sitting here playing witcher3 and thinking to myself either I have adult ADD, or damn these games are too long.

Then I look at my games and notice that I've started but haven't finished:

Far cry 4
da:I
Witcher3
Infamous second son
GtaV
Watch dogs
Dying light

These fetch quests are killing me. Anyone else?

Ritalin me if old.

legacyzero

Banned
Not if it's done right.

If it's an Ubisoft open world game with towers and mostly collectables with a main quest, it's boring as shit.

Games like Dying Light did Open world mostly right IMO. And of course, you cant forget about Fallout 4. Bethesda does that shit right.

QaaQer

It's hard to get excited over open world games because 99% of the time the combat is poor and the stories herky jerky. Everything is about pandering to the player which is pretty dull.

Betty

Banned
Dragon Age Inquisition made me feel fatigued.

Then The Witcher 3 made it all good again.

Depends on the game really, sometimes I ignore the open world 'activities' and just focus on the main story.

No way in hell am I going to even attempt to 100% something like Arkham Knight for example, all those Riddler challenges, nuh uh.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, me.

I am honestly questioning whether to get Batman day 1.

That is how tired I'm getting of open world games. I'm playing Witcher 3 right now, and I like it. But a good part of me would have liked to see Witcher 2 type of closed environments.

Eggbok

Not if it's done right.

If it's an Ubisoft open world game with towers and mostly collectables with a main quest, it's boring as shit.

Games like Dying Light did Open world mostly right IMO. And of course, you cant forget about Fallout 4. Bethesda does that shit right.

That is exactly why I have not finished Unity, it's a damn cluster fuck.

Arkhanor

I've started Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag collecting every single thing on the islands, but I'm giving up and sticking to the missions. I'm really tired of huge open maps that adds nothing to the game, except "time".

RoKKeR

I don't know about "open world fatigue" but more "there is way, WAY too much to do in this game and not enough time to do it" fatigue.

vypek

I love running around and exploring open worlds. Not getting fatigue quite yet since I space the games out or taking a little time off every now and then.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I've started Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag collecting every single thing on the islands, but I'm giving up and sticking to the missions. I'm really tired of huge open maps that adds nothing to the game, except "time".
Play the side missions like the assassin bureau missions which have their own characters and plot lines. People who say that the only side content in Ubi games are collectibles are being disingenuous. And no OP i'm not, in fact it's the opposite, after the Witcher 3 i've more excited than ever for more open worlds that feel like living breathing places.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
No way, I want more open worlds. I love that most are beefy games that I can lose myself in too.

More, not less.

Dragon Age Inquisition made me feel fatigued.

Then The Witcher 3 made it all good again.

Depends on the game really, sometimes I ignore the open world 'activities' and just focus on the main story.

No way in hell am I going to even attempt to 100% something like Arkham Knight for example, all those Riddler challenges, nuh uh.

Dragon Age: Inquisition hurt me so much that I haven't mustered up the courage to install The Witcher 3 yet. I can't do another open world so soon :(

I am going through gaming fatigue. But yeah open world games require some serious time investment. Hard to do if you're a full time student or young professional or married with children.

Kinda but most of all I'm a little tired of medieval-sorcery settings: Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age, Bloodborne, The Witcher... the good thing is that it ends with The Witcher for a while and now comes Batman, Mad Max, Metal Gear, and a lot of other stuff... oh yes, most of them are open world... damn. :/

The games tend to be padded with way too optional stuff, but I don't try to do every quest or collect every trinket, so I'm usually good and anxious to dig into a new open world. Just don't get lost down their rabbit holes.

Arkhanor

Play the side missions like the assassin bureau missions which have their own characters and plot lines. People who say that the only side content in Ubi games are collectibles are being disingenuous. And no OP i'm not, in fact it's the opposite, after the Witcher 3 i've more excited than ever for more open worlds that feel like living breathing places.

Yep, I'm doing just missions, not just the main ones! :D

Davide

Yup. Too many of them and too long. The Witcher is the exception.

The Arkham games were way better when they were more focused like in Asylum.

Not at all, in fact I hope more games take the open-world approach.
I wouldnt have even bought Witcher 3 if it hadnt been open-world.
Ubisoft does the best open-world in my eyes, especially Farcry 3/4.
Cant wait for Farcry 5.

Nope. I like my open world racers, fantasy, shooty, sciencey, etc. games.

It's almost like the previous "ugh another dude bro game" mentality is being replaced with "ugh another open world game".

I will sit here and continue to enjoy myself.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Well, maybe playing all those games would do it, yeah.

If something is going to take more than 20 hours, I try to make sure I'm serious about it first. My perception is that DA: I isn't a horrible game, but, in terms of ROI (I=total time spent), the payback just wasn't there for me.

Of those listed, I only played Dying Light, Witcher 3, Infamous, and GTA V (last gen--didn't double-dip), and those releases were spaced out in a way that left time for other types of games. I'm sure I'll be recharged and ready for Fallout 4 when the time comes.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Dying Light did it right imo. The world is just there to play with, and the side stories are all pretty good and tangible to the world.

Yup have for a long time. When they are done well and add something to the experience then they can be fantastic (Red Dead Redemption ad the Souls series) but most just feel like padding and overly formulaic. "The world is 20x larger than the last game", oooohhh fuck off this means I'm going to spend time walking around an environment for most of my time being encouraged to pick up collectables with fetch quests asking me to regularly traverse the world with a mini map permanently on the screen, and missions are going to be essentially the same thing as it is too expensive to build unique interactions when the budget has gone on asset creation.

I would personally prefer it if they packed the detail into smaller area that is loaded with secrets that encourage you to explore, that way we actually get to see all the effort that the developer put into creating the virtual world.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yep, I'm doing just missions, not just the main ones! :D
This is how you get the most out of Ubi's games truth be told. There's
-Main Story
-Side missions/activities
-Upgrades

-Collectibles if you feel so inclined depending on what they are or feel like passing the time with exploration.

Arttemis

So many of AC: Unity's side missions are absolute garbage. Walk near a woman holding flyers and shouting into the crowd, hit X to accept a mission, and then run to a red dot and kill it. There are dozens of quests with literally no more involvement than what I just described - no dialog, no conclusion, worse than shitty MMOs. Yeah, some are better, but only because they throw some dialog your way before making you run toward the red dot. Ubisoft's open worlds are horrendous.

BONDO

Yea, long time ago.
Feel like its mostly fluff these days. Thats prolly why the Order 1886 appealed to me so much i think

DasFool

I'm with you, OP. I've come to appreciate "smaller" or more "mission-focused" open world games like Sleeping Dogs, L.A. Noire, and Mafia 2. It has to do with the games' pacing and tight narrative, making the world feel alive and giving you a sense of place within it.

Bethesda's games (particularly Skyrim) are awful at this.

bender

What time is it?
The trend of marking everything on the in-game map kills any sense of exploration is wearing on me.

That's a damn shame, because Witcher 3 is like the anti-Inquisition.

I know, I've heard nothing but good things and I can't wait to see what it looks like on my new 970 but not right now. Just can't do it. I need to play a few games which don't do much more than order me to "Go here, do this" before I'm ready for open world exploration again.

Yeah, it's getting pretty exhausting tbh... most of them don't really have a great world or interesting stuff to do in them either. Maybe I've just been playing too many of them back to back.

OCD Guy

I'd rather a linear game where they can blow me away with the graphics.

Open world games aren't going to get much better than what we have visually, and no game has given me that "gears of war" moment I had when I played the 360.

Or the "killzone 2" shock I got from playing the PS3.

Yeah we've had a few good looking games, but no gameplay to back it up.

Gears and killzone were amazing for me to play. Both fairly linear but I'm ok with that, I'll take them sort of games over "waypoint games".

I want a good game that doesn't involve me needing to select a "waypoint" to know where I go next, I also don't need rpg elements either.

Yeah, two generations ago. Giving me 400 things to do at once is a great way to make me stop playing your game.

I prefer a set-up where progression is gated. Lots to do by endgame, but gradually introduced. Ease me into it. Don't just throw me in a map and say "go anywhere, do anything," because I won't.

Servbot24

Banned
Open world games have never been more than mildly enjoyable distractions.

I can't even imagine playing them repeatedly. Would probably kill off any interest I have in this hobby.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I skip most open world games because they look kinda uninteresting to me. I'm not a huge fan of most AAA games. I'm stoked as hell for Fallout 4 and Zelda U tho!

Chiggs

Just with Far Cry, because part 4 has me convinced that it's going to be stale entry after stale entry, year in and year out.

georly

I hit the fatigue sometime back with san andreas, honestly. It's only recently that open world has started to grow on me again, now that it's being done 'better' than it was before. Granted, I play roughly 1 open world title every... year? And they're usually made by WB. Just started witcher 3 and it's basically all i've ever wanted in an open world game, so I'm pretty happy.

I don't play ubi games, so maybe that's why it hasn't hit me again?

I've never been a huge fan of open world games. I get the appeal, and more power to people who enjoy them, but I really can't think of a single open world game where I didn't quickly reach the point of just wanting to get from a to b and play the game already (without having to wait 45 minutes for the world to reload during fast travel).

I think so. I'm doing great with Witcher but anything that is akin to the UbiSoft formula I've no patience for anymore.

It helps Witcher is a good game, unlike Assassins Creed and Watch Dogs

Yes, definitely.
Its why I haven't bought The Witcher 3 yet and why I'm not as excited for Batman as I normally would be.

I'm even debating if I want to buy Batman on day one.
I'm gonna buy it day one

Top Bottom