• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else having issues with the Game Pass app on PC right now?

Filben

Until two hours ago everything worked fine. Then, installed Wasteland 3 via Game Pass. Just started Outriders to check something, closed it. Everything was fine. While it was installing Wasteland 3 I played a PS3 game via RPCS3, the emulator crashed at some time and I had to force-close it. When I looked at the download progress of Wasteland 3 I've noticed it stopped, despite showing the download speed. The app wouldn't react anymore. Even after closing it would keep downloading however, because when I restarted the app, the progression bar was fuller, until it didn't show any updates any more.

No I can't do shit with the app. As weird as it sounds, the first action after starting the app works, everything afterwards doesn't. I can't even close the app without terminating it via Task Manager. Can't sign out, can't click on any game. I can go into the settings, where it loads infinitely the "connected accounts" or "offline mode". It seems like it doesn't get a connection to the Microsoft servers, although Xbox Companion app works, MS Store works, games launching without the Game Pass works, Steam works, my internet works. Everything except for this fucking piece of trash amateur app. Can't uninstall games, can't move them.

Already rebooted my PC, uninstalled everything Xbox related, reinstalled. Nothing. According to MS websites every service is online. WTF is going here?

yamaci17

i'm not having any issue or whatsoever recently

actually, i haven't got a single issue since 6 months and i'm actually on xbox insider ring. i'm also happy that we got rid of that weird file system where you couldn't access the files

i will report if anything happens

Last edited:

Jaybe

I feel for you man, the Xbox PC is notoriously abysmal and not in a way that affects every user but in a will largely screw up things for a very small percentage of users. While I had a capable gaming PC, with some bad MSFT and other PC ports and reports that Xbox app would let you uninstall games but not release the memory the games took up, I just couldn’t be bothered and got a series X.

On to your issue, hard to say what it could be. There seems to be more issues than normal when I read a few R/xboxgamepass posts. Maybe this is connected to the Xbox server issues from a week or two ago or something that they’ve goofed up.

I’ll link a few things and maybe they help but you will likely need to search the subreddit or some other ones or ask for help there

Xbox game pass subreddit

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
yea i had a similar problem last night. the gamepass app needed an update and it just froze trying to update itself. had to restart my computer and it still wouldn't take the update. remarkably bad piece of software.

yamaci17

It's always been shit. I still - STILL - have a bug to this day where I need to sign out and back in because it doesn't think I'm subscribed.

do you have a different account signed into microsoft store/windows?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
do you have a different account signed into microsoft store/windows?

Yeah, my GP account is different - but I'm already logged into my GP account in the app when I open it, it just doesn't think I have a subscription. Log out, log back in, it works again, but I have to do it every single time and a bug like that probably won't get fixed for a while.

yamaci17

Yeah, my GP account is different - but I'm already logged into my GP account in the app when I open it, it just doesn't think I have a subscription. Log out, log back in, it works again, but I have to do it every single time and a bug like that probably won't get fixed for a while.

try entering email & accounts settings,

iWvPkuo.png

make sure "apps need to ask me to use this account" is set for every e-mail there is

xbox app has a system where it has a tendency to take subscription information from the microsoft store.

when that "bug" happens next time, make sure to check the information below to see what kind of a situation app is in;

ebiYWZt.png

i never had this kind of "bug" so i have no idea what triggers it on your end however

Bojji

It's one of the worst pieces of software on Windows. I had to reinstall windows once because it didn't saw any drives and there is pretty much no way to access game data. No wonder it's fucking up someone again.

yamaci17

It's one of the worst pieces of software on Windows. I had to reinstall windows once because it didn't saw any drives and there is pretty much no way to access game data. No wonder it's fucking up someone again.

That has changed, you can install games to wherever you want and you can access game data and even mod them;

dwngMkl.png

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
try entering email & accounts settings,

make sure "apps need to ask me to use this account" is set for every e-mail there is

xbox app has a system where it has a tendency to take subscription information from the microsoft store.

when that "bug" happens next time, make sure to check the information below to see what kind of a situation app is in;

i never had this kind of "bug" so i have no idea what triggers it on your end however

Yeah that's set, and it looks correct at a distance in the app settings too. It's just not picking up my subscription until I log out and back into the same account. Appreciate the help though.

FrozenFlame

Most times when I'm having issues with gamepass it's because there's some windows update available. Only after the update it goes back to normal.

renzero

Neo Member
Anyone else have the problem of EA Play game saves not transferring over between Xbox and PC? Every other game save I have automatically transfers no problem but EA games don't at all.

Filben

Most times when I'm having issues with gamepass it's because there's some windows update available. Only after the update it goes back to normal.
I usually postpone Windows updates (because Microsoft can't be bothered with QA and everytime a major update goes life I read so many news about MS breaking things). However, I actually did update everything I could and nothing helped.

As of now I've uninstalled all Game Pass games via Windows settings (wasn't possible through the app...) and probably won't re-new next month. Fuck this shit. Seriously, the amount of time I'm wasting (and already have last year!) on troubleshooting and fixing things and then seeing no results, it's not worth it. I rather wait for a sale and get a game on Steam and never look back. The money I'd safe via Game Pass ain't everything. And I don't want to wait for this time bomb to explode again even if I was fixing this now.

EDIT: At least Microsoft offered me a refund for the subscription month when I went to the cancellation/management site. Their Game Pass software developers can't do shit, but their policy seems very fair.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
It's always been shit. I still - STILL - have a bug to this day where I need to sign out and back in because it doesn't think I'm subscribed.
Me too, I cannot believe that shit still has not been fixed.
Told You So Comedy GIF by NETFLIX

But hey, 'it's a fantastic deal!'
I've been saying that for the last 2 years, telling people PC gamepass was a mess or asking for help but everyone loves "free" games...
I spend so much time trying to find solutions than to actually enjoy windows OS and the games ...

yamaci17

Me too, I cannot believe that shit still has not been fixed.

I've been saying that for the last 2 years, telling people PC gamepass was a mess or asking for help but everyone loves "free" games...
I spend so much time trying to find solutions than to actually enjoy windows OS and the games ...
CO6yGpf.png

i guess i'm the outlier, zero issues with all games in the span of 2 years :)

Filben

Yes, shove it on our faces wow unlucky we have been :(
Yeah. Also imagine that reinstalling didn't work (which usually fixes any fuck up) and it stopped working literally from one minute to another.

I remember six months ago when I was playing heavily Outriders. Frome one day to another the game kept crashing after the Xbox account login after the intro videos. It was reproducible and I could only play the game by first signing out of the Game Pass app, signing in again and then start playing. This worked for like one week and then all of the sudden even that didn't help anymore. Then I left the game for a couple of months, tried again and it magically worked.

This seemingly randomness is far beyond my comprehension and I'm at the end of wits with this app. It's like it's connect to MS's servers everyday and those servers give back a random number between 0 and 1000. If you draw >500 you're fucked. TRY AGAIN NEXT DAY! That's the only explanation I can come up with why some people had zero issues.

yamaci17

Yeah. Also imagine that reinstalling didn't work (which usually fixes any fuck up) and it stopped working literally from one minute to another.

I remember six months ago when I was playing heavily Outriders. Frome one day to another the game kept crashing after the Xbox account login after the intro videos. It was reproducible and I could only play the game by first signing out of the Game Pass app, signing in again and then start playing. This worked for like one week and then all of the sudden even that didn't help anymore. Then I left the game for a couple of months, tried again and it magically worked.

This seemingly randomness is far beyond my comprehension and I'm at the end of wits with this app. It's like it's connect to MS's servers everyday and those servers give back a random number between 0 and 1000. If you draw >500 you're fucked. TRY AGAIN NEXT DAY! That's the only explanation I can come up with why some people had zero issues.
despite having no issues, i'm also saddened by people getting issues. wish it was a more consistent experience across the board. i too with a great curiosity wonder why It does not break for me

just for the fun of it, have you ever considered joining xbox insider beta? i don't know, maybe by some miracle it is more stable or anything, might be worth a try

Zeroing

Banned

Yes, In my experience it got so extreme I even though the fault was my router. There is no explanation for why all of this is so random.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The GP PC client always seemed like a very poorly coded software. Lots of weird bugs, like only being able to install games on C:, or games just don't dowloading at all.

I really wish they'd merge the service with Steam.

AV

Gamepass Xbox is the best deal in gaming. Gamepass PC on its own is probably not worth it.

Let's not be silly. As much as the app is shit, it still plays the games. PC library is literally 92% the size of the console one and that's rarely anything major, plus PC gets PC exclusives like AOE4 recently.

octiny

Banned
Let's not be silly. As much as the app is shit, it still plays the games. PC library is literally 92% the size of the console one and that's rarely anything major, plus PC gets PC exclusives like AOE4 recently.

This, plus PC gamepass includes EA Play as well which needs Ultimate if you're only on Xbox.

LostDonkey

I use to have a problem where it would keep installing Flight Simulator every time I uninstalled it. I'd come back another time and it was back in my library, Not used the PC app for a while though since O got my series X

Otre

Banned
A year ago the only way to fix Gamepass PC for me was to nuke all xbox related games and programs with RevoUninstaller. It sucked but I havent had any problem since then.

Some friends of mine fixed it by simply signing-out the app, rebooting the PC and then sign in again.

Also, you need to enable the advanced installation settings in the GP app. It lets you install most games on your folder of preference.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
There’s issues with the Game Pass front for the Series S/X since last night too if you check the X subreddit.

Not great PR after the shit last week with the non-primary consoles.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Works good for the most part. In the past I had issues with applying updates on certain games like The Ascent, where I had to go into the Store for the update to pop correctly.

Top Bottom