• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else here hating the Watch Dogs 2 fireworks?

Vlaphor

I'm making this thread just to rant for a bit, but I am curious what the general consensus is around here. Anyway...

Watch Dogs 2 recently added in fireworks that go off every night in the game, and this is supposed to last until the 10th of July...and I just can't take it anymore! The smaller fireworks that go off sound like someone is crinkling wrapping paper right next to my ears and the larger fireworks sound like someone is hitting the bass pedal on a drum set, also next to my ears.

It only affects the rear/side channels of my 5.1 setup, so it feels as though I have a constant dome of fireworks around me.

There's no consideration of distance, so the fireworks sound the same no matter where you are.

There are only a couple of samples, so the fireworks begin to sound identical almost right away.

Finally, the fireworks go off non-stop. It's not some kind of measured release of fireworks, it's thousands of the same fireworks, going off constantly for about 1/3rd of each in game day. It's a mixture of some of the most irritating sounds available, run on a near-constant loop, and there's no way to turn it off. I recently bought this game during the steam sale, but I can't play it while this is going on. I'm getting a headache and extremely irritated by this addition, and it's a damn shame because I am really liking the rest of this game. Only now I'm being told I have to wait until July 10th to be able to play it again.

What the hell Ubisoft?

That sounds pretty obnoxious. Fireworks aren't really nice to listen to and definitely not for more then 10 minutes and that's when you're actually enjoying them in real life.

Reminds me of Arkham Asylum after a certain plot point where every outdoor area has fireworks popping for the remainder of the game. Going for Riddler trophies? Fuck you, here's some obnoxious pop that never stops. I actually completely muted game audio because of it.

Vlaphor

Any footage of these fireworks? This sounds like such a weirdly specific and unnecessary update to a game that's already been out for a while.

Edit: https://youtu.be/4r2hrWko6lI

Wow, that sounds like it'd get really fucking annoying fast.

That video doesn't even show the worst part of it. On a 5.1 setup, like mine, all the firework sounds come through on the rear/side channels and each one sounds quite clear. You're able to easily hear every constant crackle and pounding sound separate from the rest of the game...

Sounds like an extremely poorly planned and executed event for a game like Watch Dogs 2 which is primarily enjoyed as a single player experience. It would make more sense for them to go off the first in game night within those dates, not every night.

I can see that really destroying a play through.

abrack08

I actually just started Watch Dogs 2 a couple days ago, so you aren't alone OP. It is really annoying. I get why they would do something along these lines, but it's just excessive. I just don't want to hear fireworks that often. And by the 10th, I may already be done with the game, so that would be my entire experience with WD2. Constant fireworks going off every night for the duration of the game.

It'd be pretty cool if they did this for maybe 1 day, even 2, but having this go on until the 10th is just majorly annoying. At least throw in a toggle for it somewhere.

hydruxo

Yeah they need to allow people to toggle this off. Or at least be able to turn off the sound effects. Seems like it was something that they didn't think all the way through and just thought "oh wouldn't it be cool if we added fireworks?"

Falchion

Holy shit I thought I was just going crazy! I've been doing my playthrough over the past week and I noticed when I played last night there were fireworks. I thought it was something contextual to the part of the story I was at but it seemed completely disconnected from what was going on. They are so fucking loud too because I was driving around and listening to music and talking to DedSec and I could barely hear them over the noise.

This explains so much.

dsier

I actually platinum'd the game on Tuesday, so I'm lucky that I avoided this crap. What on earth were they thinking? "Let's put an obnoxious as hell sound in our game for 1/3 of each in game day". Good Thinking Ubi!

Kovacs

It sounds like it hasn't been handled in the best way, but in theory I love the idea of real world weather, seasons and events being tied into games.

One of my favourite gaming memories is of playing the original Project Gotham Racing on Halloween and hearing the radio DJ's talking it. I'd really like more games to do things like that if they don't have a storyline that is ties to one specific timeline.

How cool would it be in GTA to start seeing Christmas decorations start appearing on houses or realising that the leafs have turned to red or blossom? Could even go as far as bodies of water icing over or other seasonal changes that enable different gameplay mechanics.

People play Watch Dogs 2 ?

Seems like a very badly thought of idea by the developers. Like didn't they test this for a bit before implementing it ?

Eh, It's watchdogs. I wouldn't play it anyways.

Should have an option but you think that's annoying you should try having it in China on Chinese New Year. It's right next to you everywhere.

Yeah, this shit was terrible. I played last night though and they were nowhere to be found. Good on them for hopping on this foolishness quickly at least.

SomTervo

Hah. I booted the game up and had a blast the other night - but didn't have HDD space so the update never downloaded.

Dodged a bullet there.

This definitely should have been a two or three day thing at most.

Top Bottom