• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else love good, low poly art?

Beats

There's some nice stuff in the Low Poly thread on Polycount:

I like this sort of style the most. : )

sn00zer

Just waiting for indy devs to get their head out of their 16bit, chiptuned assholes
Some of these games are great, but jeebus christ there is nothing more boring than "old-school game design"

Absolutely love both flat shaded 3d and low poly/unfiltered textures. Especially in older arcade games like Wing War, Solvalou, Cybersled, etc.

Sentenza

I love it mostly when it's tied with cool animations.
Loved it since Another World (which I think is known to the american audience as Out Of This World).

saska

Man, that looks incredible.
I love low-poly art with pixelated textures.

Hi-five. Also Megaman Legends:

IrtsfiY.jpg

(I should probably try that series)

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I do love low poly art, even in games, but only if it's coupled with clean textures. Megaman Legends is a good example.

IPbDEa5.jpg
ZHO5unp.jpg

jbartee

love low-poly to death, especially when combined with pre-rendered backgrounds. Just has a certain juice to it.

TivLbP8.gif

(Little Big Adventure)

Glad I peered into this thread. I never even considered that "low-poly" could be a deliberate artistic choice in the same way as pixel-art. Very, very cool.

Would Tearaway be considered the first retail game made in this style?

Ishida

Banned
To this day, the ammount of detail in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver blows my mind. All the environments are extremely detailed and give off an intense haunting setting.

Soul-Reaver-The-Spectral-Realm.jpg

Drone

These are from a competition on Polycount a few years back, just before the new Tron movie came out. The rules were 1000 triangles, 2 x 512 textures, no texture filtering, no anti-aliasing.

tron_chopper_concept06.png

tron_chopper_editor_view.png

tron_chopper_ingame.png

RedSwirl

Man. There was this arcade game I saw once at a Dave & Busters that had this graphical style. The only thing I remember definitively about it is that it was a 3D space shooter and it was played in its own massive room with a screen that covered the whole wall. 12 people could play it at once.

Judging from videos it might have been StarBlade but I can't be sure. I think it was by Namco and had callbacks to Galaxian, or some other 80's shmup.

Absolutely love both flat shaded 3d and low poly/unfiltered textures. Especially in older arcade games like Wing War, Solvalou, Cybersled, etc.

This right here, along with Virtual On. Something about that style made the graphics look futuristic, like you were stepping into virtual reality. Maybe it's because of how VR was portrayed back in the early 90's.

007 Golden Eye (N64)

193241-goldeneye-007-nintendo-64-screenshot-double-the-gun-double.jpg

goldeneye007.jpg

I think it's funny the way they put realistic faces on those low poly heads.
And there's a cheat in the game to make all the characters big headed. Man, that thing was insane haha.

Body Harvest (N64)

Body-Harvest-bugs.jpg

Body-Harvest-Screenshot-612x450.jpg

Even at the time, I thought this game was too blocky. But all this blockiness scared the hell of me hehe

Stunt Race FX (SNES)
stunt-race-fx-02.png

This is a cute 3D racer for the SNES. I think they used the same technology from Star Fox. They look alike.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Low polygon art w/o textures is great. I grew up on TIE Fighter and X-Wing... You'd also love the 32x. Star Wars, Shadow Squadron, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter...

Ew. Star Wars Arcade was cool looking. The 32x port looked like shit.
Virtua Fighter in the arcades was sharp. Home versions weren't.

I get where OP is coming from, but those old low poly games didn't look as nice as that art. Of course we now have the power to do that style justice.

"Man. There was this arcade game I saw once at a Dave & Busters that had this graphical style. The only thing I remember definitively about it is that it was a 3D space shooter and it was played in its own massive room with a screen that covered the whole wall. 12 people could play it at once."

Galaxian 3?

Log4Girlz

"Man. There was this arcade game I saw once at a Dave & Busters that had this graphical style. The only thing I remember definitively about it is that it was a 3D space shooter and it was played in its own massive room with a screen that covered the whole wall. 12 people could play it at once."

Galaxian 3?

OH MAH GAWD...jesus that looks amazing. now imagine a free roaming open space shooter with those graphics and occulus rift support.

RedSwirl

I feel like this could be a potential new trend in indie games.

It already is. The problem is that most of these games seem to be variations of Minecraft rip-offs. I don't mind a game igniting a genre, I just hate how all these games seem to have the EXACT, SAME, ART STYLE.

Galaxian 3?

Holy shit I think this was it. And now I remember it was six players, not 12.

I feel like you see a lot of that in iOS games. I personally love low-poly models, especially when the poly-count is accompanied by the proper resolution from the era.

Yeah there are definitely some good ones on iOS.

The dudes at Impromptu Games that made Influx (a cool marble roller that just hit Steam) have been toying away at something in this style, in UE3. It doesn't match the resolution or anything, and uses a lot of current lighting models, but the result looks pretty intriguing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voBp8BLU9Gk

There's some more bits on it on this blog: http://joewintergreen.com/

Atomski

I think it can be cool. I just hate when its blurry or really jaggy. Low poly with good resolution, lighting and such yeah looks pretty cool.

zeldablue

Low poly is great!

I do 3D work...when doing low poly art like Timothy Reynolds, it's important to delete the phong tag to emphasize the lighting.

I use Cinema 4D, but you can do the same in Maya, I'm sure. :D I think Jonathan blow is doing something low poly for his new game.

Superflat

I bought it because of its art style :)

Haven't tried it yet... but hopefully soon.

Same, nabbed it from a flash sale. Honestly haven't heard much about the game at all but it has a really fantastic art style, reminds me a lot of Tearaway.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think my favorite low-poly stuff lies with Tobal No. 1:

tobal1-p1.png
25702.jpg

And then Tobal 2, which is just strikingly beautiful in it's own ways:

tobal2-fight.jpg
53324-Tobal_2_(J)-5.jpg

And then with stuff like Megaman Legends, or Threads of Fate:

37688-threads_of_fate_u-4.png
57763.jpg

And Chrono Cross, which I really liked at the time:

gfs_50218_2_90.jpg
23863-chrono-cross-playstation-screenshot-choosing-a-spells.jpg

I think you generally cover what I like in "Low Poly" style. Most of the PS1 and N64 stuff, with it's flashing polys, extra-blocky ugly textures, and odd use of triangles that just... don't look good (such as Goldeneye's weird models), as they don't hold up for me beyond their initial eras.

My favorite artifact from Low-Poly works occurs when artist have to spend a lot of time defining their own shadows, hand-drawn eyes and mouths, etc. It helps give the characters the same passion that overly-detailed spritework has.

I'd imagine updates to games like Chrono Cross and Megaman Legends, with modern resolution, would look something like Soul Saga's style, pre or post model change :

630x.jpg

soulsaga_garen_3.jpg
MaxAngryMedium.jpg

Seeing the pixel in spritework looks pretty nice. But seeing the seams, squares, and imperfections in 3D just looks like bad modeling and texture-work for me...

Teknoman

Galaxian 3?

WHOA I just had a massive flashback. Totally remember seeing this at a local arcade called Tilt (Galleria in Houston) back in the day! I remember some VR stations too, but forget the game displayed.

Very off-topic, but i'm surprised there hasnt been some new Galaxian universe shoot em up, especially with those soundtracks. And I dont mean something like Galaga Legions.

popyea

It's great, here are some I had saved on my computer. I love the NES colour pallete on these SotC ones.

iD8gshJVDCsLF.gif

iER1ueZ5qQOOn.gif

ikWWPo6IjFkcK.gif

igFq3Va1rpSFW.gif

tumblr_me8y7tpXWZ1rm8mo2o4_500.png

Lijik

I absolutely adore it, its so effective when its done well. My favorite is when the textures are chunky, poppy, and pixely like old toony capcom games (Megaman Legends, Battle N Chase, and Rival Schools)
Heres a few of my favorite modern lowpoly stuff (aside from the obvious like kenneth fejer):
tumblr_lolh6n7LEz1qejutxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lolhj1gzDv1qejutxo1_500.jpg

6045161552_d51ae98105_o.png

f3257.gif

b216d.gif

tumblr_lutj95KTOo1qbmvm3.gif

p66jQzd.gif

tumblr_mm5el2y0811qexcnlo2_r5_250.gif

tumblr_ltso90hdKB1qgqlwso1_500.jpg

tumblr_m0tq7sLbDP1qzv1seo1_250.gif

tumblr_lg248yfGC41qejutxo1_400.gif

i actually dabble in it myself but i dont model as often as id like, heres a few model turnarounds ive done:
tumblr_ltdcxzaUEb1qejutxo1_1280.gif

tumblr_mijd7x6YrC1recvcco2_r1_400.gif

tumblr_mimce1rMDV1recvcco1_400.gif

fake edit- i spent so long trying to find that last gif of the two people walking in unison i got beaten on the SotC ones. The artist made a third one at some point too but i cant remember where it is

Top Bottom