• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else notice a pattern here? (Nier: Automata, GR 2, and Horizon: Zero Dawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

Then you can see with the running animation exactly the parts the fan service kicks in. I still don't see it as too much of an issue because it's relatively tame and not at all at the forefront.

What makes it worse is the motion blur makes it look like she isn't wearing anything underneath. I was shocked when I first started running. I seriously thought my game was bugged or something lmao.

edit:

She's not, I love Kat design, but they're starting with the questionable outfits already

gravity-rush-2-pso2.jpg

whatt the hell is that wtf

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The female lead in Nier is wonderful. She appears to have no personality at all, and her eyes are covered so you can focus on her exposed thighs and buttocks, rather than her soul or feelings. Just the way GAF likes it!

nier-boots2grkgy.jpg

Once you find out why her eyes are covered you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Ferr986

That happened in the first game as well with DLC outfits. Clothing is a bit more sexualized, but Kat as a character is the most up beat and refreshing character out of the three in the OP. Aloy is great, but Kat just makes me smile with the way she handled each and every situation in the first game. Based on the demo, that seems to carry through to the second.

I agree. And that's why it's so sad seeing her with an armor with no pants. Kat is one of those characters that shouldn't have this kind of content.

As I said, I really enjoy Kat's character. It sucks that not even her is safe from this stuff.

PSY・S;227097042 said:

DLC collaboration, the outfit is from PSO2 (a game with a shit ton of fanservicey outfits, I must say)

Sanctuary

GRavity RUSH 2 January
H: ZD February
Nier: A March

All of these games come out in 2017! And in consecutive months( Jan, Feb, March)!

Oh my god, you're right! Seriously though, "next gen" doesn't even begin for me until 2017. There's just been a gigantic drought of games that I want to play since probably 2012 aside from maybe 2-3 games a year. Next year for me truly looks like an "OMG too many games to play!" kind of year.

Finally...

Nioh, Resident Evil 7 and Mass Effect are conspicuously missing from the OP however.

Tohsaka

The female lead in Nier is wonderful. She appears to have no personality at all, and her eyes are covered so you can focus on her exposed thighs and buttocks, rather than her soul or feelings. Just the way GAF likes it!

nier-boots2grkgy.jpg

Did you not play the demo? All the characters are androids, and them not supposed to be showing emotions is likely going to be a big part of the game.

Once you find out why her eyes are covered you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

It's a combat visor, she can see through it and the male character wears one too.

BigEmil

Just my two cents on the matter, also not super interested in the gameplay of those two. It's a valid criticism as it gets in the way of the relatability of the protagonist, like a mod literally had to stop in and tell people to stop being creeps in the Nier demo thread so you can see how that is harmful when it comes to representation?

HZ:D has shown no media whatsoever where Aloy is sexualized thankfully. And regarding Kat not as much as these character:
maxresdefault.jpg

Gravity-Rush-2-Dated-WW.jpg

and ofc the alternate costumes in the first along with a pointless nude scene don't give me much confidence, regarding RPGs in the other thread my phrasing was "man can't we get one game without some of this shit?" seems Horizon is that one game in the context of this thread. I'm a bigger fan of Kat's silhouette than the actual design itself.
The game is set in Paris etc look at all the NPC and important character male and female both they're all dressed equivalently the main place is meant to be a hot spot city like tourist place

PSY・S;227097042 said:
What makes it worse is the motion blur makes it look like she isn't wearing anything underneath. I was shocked when I first started running. I seriously thought my game was bugged or something lmao.

edit:

I thought the same!

It was hard for me to notice given how the camera changes angles throughout the demo, so I really only noticed this near the end as I was sprinting.

The sexualization is super blatant.

--

The eye covering thing is whatever though. Even the male character has it. That seems to be a story thing.

Vex_

Banned
She's a robot who is powered by the sun. The solar panels are her butt cheeks. That's why her butt is exposed!

You guys are killing me here! LMFAO. *sigh*

Here I am trying to be positive and THIS happens. Progress doesn't happen overnight, folks. I still feel this is good for the industry. Their personalities matter. And like I said before, there is more than one way to be badass. 2B through her battle animations (as long as you arent zooming in on her leotard lol!), kat through her bright personality and problem solving skills.

Thank you.

Neiteio

Here I am trying to be positive and THIS happens. Progress doesn't happen overnight, folks. I still feel this is good for the industry. Their personalities matter. And like I said before, there is more than one way to be badass. 2B through her battle animations (as long as you arent zooming in on her leotard lol!), kat through her bright personality and problem solving skills.

Thank you.
Ha, I'm not being critical. Just some lighthearted humor. I agree it's refreshing to see female protags in three major games like this. I'll actually remember these characters, whereas all of the 30-something brown-haired white guys blur together after a while.

Nier and Gravity Rush are risky and will get risky sales.

Horizon though? Nothing riskier than a big budget AAA open world game?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Did you not play the demo? All the characters are androids, and them not supposed to be showing emotions is likely going to be a big part of the game.
The goddess in FF13LR too away Lightning's emotions, and she was more boring than ever in that game, it makes for a really boring character arc to have a stoic female protagonist in a Japanese game that for some plot related reason can't show emotion and then *gasp* shows emotion.

Thank you.
Remember that there have been lots of games with female protagonist, more so from Japan than the US, the issue however was definitely the sexualization, as more and more games like Horizon or Dishonored come out something like Nier serves to hurt more so than help, like the industry wasn't improved when Drakengard 3 came out and had the main character yell that another woman's vagina probably stinks. :|

jayu26

Yeah, I could do without all that in both Gravity Rush and Nier.

Anyway, enough of this ass-cheek shit, I give you the ultimate fan service...overbite.
tumblr_nq3eswRDq61rmfzd9o1_540.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nier and Gravity Rush are risky and will get risky sales.

Horizon though? Nothing riskier than a big budget AAA open world game?

Well tons of open world games come and go with only a few remembered in a positive light in the long term and even less that really make a boatload of cash for their creators. For every GTAV you have a shit ton of Mad Max's and other games that don't do so well.

The goddess in FF13LR too away Lightning's emotions, and she was more boring than ever in that game, it makes for a really boring character arc to have a stoic female protagonist in a Japanese game that for some plot related reason can't show emotion and then *gasp* shows emotion.

Its Yoko Taro writing the game. His female characters are some of the best in the business.

Neiteio

What I really want to see is a game (one I'd actually like to play) with a black female protag. It'd be especially refreshing to see her in a Japanese-made game. And just treat her like a normal person. Nothing stereotypical.

Looking not so much for diversity for diversity's sake, as I am looking for some visual variety. Kinda tired of so many videogame protags looking the same. It's just boring. Like I love the cast of FFXV — I keep taking screenshots of them — but how cool would it be to see Square's artists create a black female protag with the same attention to detail as, say, Luna or Iris.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Shit, I wouldn't mind having photosynthesis enabled buttocks if I'm fully honest. Life would be so much simpler. To the future!

Kawika

GRavity RUSH 2 January
H: ZD February
Nier: A March

All of these games come out in 2017! And in consecutive months( Jan, Feb, March)!

...I'm joking. What I wanted to say is that I am liking how developers seem to be more comfortable with having female leads. It isn't like this hasn't happened before, but back to back like that? Coincidence? Most likely. But I think it is a testament to how times have changed, even if ever so slight.

I mean, they are all badass (from what I've seen so far) and incredibly unique in design. Oh, and it also helps that the gameplay looks great as well. For those of you who have played the demo for 2/3 of these games, I think you would agree that the gameplay IS good. Am I right? I am fully immersed whenever I do a playthrough of those demos.

I'm rambling a bit, but I just wanted to say how happy I am that these types of creative (and risky) games are coming out.

I have to admit, the thought never crossed my mind. I was excited to play these games and didn't consider that they were all female leads. I guess I knew they all have female leads but I suppose it didn't enhance or deter my interest.

My first through when Marcus was introduced for WD2 was, I am glad that got rid of that horrible WD1 character and 2 I hope I can change his clothes because I hate his style. Also fuck yes for Eric B and Rakim.

LordKasual

Banned
...I'm joking. What I wanted to say is that I am liking how developers seem to be more comfortable with having female leads. It isn't like this hasn't happened before, but back to back like that? Coincidence? Most likely. But I think it is a testament to how times have changed, even if ever so slight.

Maybe i've just been looking at the wrong developers...

...but i've never really felt like developers were shy with making leading females. Maybe some really big AAA western ones, yeah. But everywhere else? Nah.

benzopil

What I really want to see is a game (one I'd actually like to play) with a black female protag. It'd be especially refreshing to see her in a Japanese-made game. And just treat her like a normal person. Nothing stereotypical.

Virginia, but it's not Japanese.

Taruranto

Only western devs seem afraid of female leads. Japan has never been afraid of female main characters.

Yeah, I really can't understand OP. Maybe it's because I play too much niche Japanese stuff, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be shocked... surprised about? Female leads are the minority, but I feel like they are nowhere rare as people make them to be, even years ago.

Looking not so much for diversity for diversity's sake, as I am looking for some visual variety. Kinda tired of so many videogame protags looking the same. It's just boring. Like I love the cast of FFXV — I keep taking screenshots of them — but how cool would it be to see Square's artists create a black female protag with the same attention to detail as, say, Luna or Iris.

Didn't SE publish a game with black female protagonist a while back? Remember Me?

Chev

What I wanted to say is that I am liking how developers seem to be more comfortable with having female leads.
two of those are from japanese developers, which have never shied away from female leads (and for that matter, it happened in many european games too until they felt forced to conform to the US market). That leaves HZD, which by itself is merely a small step in the right direction.

LotusHD

Banned

nier-boots2grkgy.jpg

Dude, at least play the demo before you say such things....

In the demo, she mentions that androids like herself aren't supposed to show emotion, but amusingly enough, nothing outright prevents them from doing so. Throughout the demo, she repeatedly makes snarky comments about what's going on around her, and I just love her for it.

Crossing Eden

Its Yoko Taro writing the game. His female characters are some of the best in the business.
That either says a shit ton about the industry or his fans are very out of touch with the standards we have now.
KRs8XNF.png

9vWf32j.png

ech61RH.png

"Best in the business."

Japan seems to have always been comfortable with female protagonists, since the PS1 era at least, but Western developers have started putting them in more.

b0bbyJ03

If it wasn't for articles or threads on the internet I would have never realized that dudes didn't like playing as females. I've always enjoyed games with females leads. Makes no sense to me y one wouldn't as long as it's not a marketing ploy and that character is what best fits the world they've created. Hopefully we start getting other ethnicities as well.

K.Sabot

GR and Nier's Directors already have history with female leads in games, I don't see how it's some sort of trend they've hopped on.

If it wasn't for articles or threads on the internet I would have never realized that dudes didn't like playing as females. I've always enjoyed games with females leads. Makes no sense to me y one wouldn't as long as it's not a marketing ploy and that character is what best fits the world they've created. Hopefully we start getting other ethnicities as well.

We had a person in the Nier (?) thread who literally won't be buying the game because of the female protagonist.

I didn't even know how to respond.

HStallion

That either says a shit ton about the industry or his fans are very out of touch with the standards we have now.
KRs8XNF.png

9vWf32j.png

ech61RH.png

Have you actually played the games you're posting screen shots from? His female characters are very unique, weird and not at all what I'd consider the par for the course in Japan or the West in terms of the types of female characters we often get.

kunonabi

I've been playing games with female leads consistently for years so I don't really see anything special about these releases in that regard. Nier and Gravity Daze do look amazing though.

Tohsaka

Too bad two out of three are somewhat pandering with gratuitous panties and waifu outfits.

Assuming you're talking about Nier, it's a leotard she's wearing and not her panties. Not gonna try and convince you if you don't like the outfits though since that's personal preference.

Crossing Eden

Too bad two out of three are somewhat pandering with gratuitous panties and waifu outfits.
Not even somewhat honestly.
Have you actually played the games you're posting screen shots from? His female characters are very unique, weird and not at all what I'd consider the par for the course in Japan or the West in terms of the types of female characters we often get.
"Unique" is a kind word to call it. I actually find them really bad. Yes I know the context but NO amount of context makes those lines good. They're weird in the "wow I can't believe a grown ass man wrote this" sense rather than a "this is fine" sense.

Ferr986

Assuming you're talking about Nier, it's a leotard she's wearing and not her panties. Not gonna try and convince you if you don't like the outfits though since that's personal preference.

Doesn't really matter. It's there to emulate panties without being panties, you still get the exact same style of pantyshots. It's like Marie Rose being 18.

Just took a pic on the sharing picture tab on Live fron PS4 and yeah, almost all Nier pics related are about 2B buttchecks lol

HStallion

Not even somewhat honestly.

"Unique" is a kind word to call it. I actually find them really bad. Yes I know the context but NO amount of context makes those lines good. They're weird in the "wow I can't believe a grown ass man wrote this" sense rather than a "this is fine" sense.

Again have you played these games? A couple of shitty lines doesn't negate a lot of the interesting aspects of his character and this goes for the men as much as the women he writes. I enjoy Yoko Taro's jank ass games like Dragkengard because he does some very interesting and bold takes on characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom