• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else notice a pattern here? (Nier: Automata, GR 2, and Horizon: Zero Dawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless this is her "relax and hill out in warm weather" outfit, it's nonsensical. And it doesn't look to be that since it seems to have some actual armoured bits. Why would anyone wear armoured pieces but expose their most vulnerable target?

What kind of Puritanical regime are we living under that a midriff is now "going to far"?
Have you ever worked out? It's fine to show off the stomach if the character is fighting in a warm climate.

You don't need a sarcasm tag, because it's actually a valid argument.

No, it's not. You don't like how the design looks? Fine, but what you're doing is no different than slut shaming a woman in real life who happens to have her midriff exposed.

giphy.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What kind of Puritanical regime are we living under that a midriff is now "going to far"?
Have you ever worked out? It's fine to show off the stomach if the character is fighting in a warm climate.

No, it's not. You don't like how the design looks? Fine, but what you're doing is no different than slut shaming a woman in real life who happens to have her midriff exposed.
Hahahahaha oh dear

RainForce

Banned
Did I say any of this is a "big deal"?
Anyway, fan service is stupid regardless of the game, but it's obviously less annoying if it's so hidden and obscure that you can play the game 10 times and never see even know it exists, and moreover, when the result is a smidge of blurry, tiny pixels.

I'd classify DLC as that, which a lot of these costumes are.

And slightly OT from this conversation, but I noticed you criticizing Nier's character design earlier in the thread. Can't speak for Automata obviously, but have you played the first one? Kaine has an actually VERY good reason for her design, and not in the "be ashamed of your words and deeds" bullshit way that Kojima tried to pull because he couldn't come up with good justification for Quiet. Yoko Taro is pretty much the only one I trust to be able to pull this kind of thing off, and I was pretty damn skeptical of it before I played Nier (and eventually went back to play his other games).

Riposte

Japanese and western devs are equally capable to do great design, I mean look at From software input, and they're not the only ones.

And as I said, the questionable designs aren't done because they don't know better, they`re targeted to a kind of crowd. It's the way it is, there's a market for it and they get the money from there, especially more anime-ish games like Nier:A

Put Yoshida under not knowing "better", that man loves drawing fat bottom girls. Maybe we can one day save him from his ignorance lol.

RainForce

Banned
I'm Jewish, so am I considered non-white enough to be absolved of all racist speech? I always identified as white, but who doesn't want free reign to say hateful shit!?

/s for that last part of course in case someone takes me seriously.

Let's try and name Japanese female leads (playable) that aren't sexualized, shall we? How many are there really?

You forgot the best lady :D It's cool, I'll just drop her right here.
tumblr_m9u2gyeFhy1rdx7u4o1_400.gif

Seriously, what is the problem with sex appeal? It doesn't lessen something's legitimacy because it is attractive.

RainForce

Banned
Let's try and name Japanese female leads (playable) that aren't sexualized, shall we? How many are there really?

There's plenty. Persona 3's female protagonist immediately comes to mind. Other than that, I'd have to look through my backloggery, but Otome games in general don't sexualize their (female) protagonists (not always though).

There's plenty. Persona 3's female protagonist immediately comes to mind. Other than that, I'd have to look through my backloggery, but Otome games in general don't sexualize their (female) protagonists (not always though).

To be fair, Otome Games are aimed at women. The men in them are usually drawn super sexy lol.

Also this:
image94.png

I wouldn't use Persona to argue against fanservice. First thing you see booting up Persona 4 is Rise in a bikini lol.

Put Yoshida under not knowing "better", that man loves drawing fat bottom girls. Maybe we can one day save him from his ignorance lol.

Nahh let him be, he's doing it out of love. Pure Heart Rule.

The pattern I see is a lot of those games are taking my money one after another without much time to recover, the next 3 months are going to kill my wallet T_T.

You forgot the best lady :D It's cool, I'll just drop her right here.
tumblr_m9u2gyeFhy1rdx7u4o1_400.gif
I have always know that Bayonetta's proportions are wierd and I played the first game and knew her legs were long but never noticed that her leg up to her knee is larger than her body and head.

DemWalls

I knew that Horizon outfit would end up being discussed, took longer than I thought though :lol:

I don't particularly like it either (and to think that growing up I had kind if a midriff fetish - I blame the likes of Britney and Christina), but in such cases I don't pay too much mind since in a game with dozens of possible outfits they can't possibly be all great. Kind of like in the Souls games, or TW3, or most RPGs really.

Krakin

Only 1 of those 3 doesn't sexualize their protagonists in anyway sho i'm most excited for that oe and not very interested at all in the other two.

Didn't take very long for a post like this to show up.

But yeah, the costume designs in GR2 are kinda ridiculous. I don't think it's too bad in Automata but Aloy is the best of the bunch even though she shows off a little midriff.

taoofjord

Yoshida has certainly become more pervy since the SNES and PS1 days, but damn it if he still isn't an amazing artist. Hopefully he's the lead character designer in FFXVI.

Yasumi

Banned
K.

I'm not white but nice try. Gold star for you.

No it's not but ok.
So making broad strokes that another culture's design sensibilities are brainless (not the west though) isn't plainly racist? Because your posts are coming off pretty unintelligent and racist here.

Taruranto

Did I say any of this is a "big deal"?
Anyway, fan service is stupid regardless of the game, but it's obviously less annoying if it's so hidden and obscure that you can play the game 10 times and never see even know it exists, and moreover, when the result is a smidge of blurry, tiny pixels.

What's wrong with optional, non canon fanservice? I mean, it would be out of place in something like Dark Souls, but non canon fanservice costumes in something like Tales of? Sure, sky's the limit.

sensui-tomo

Well... yeah? Not inherently so, but there's a lot of history in feminist theory about the sexism of high heels. It's nothing new.

No one said anything was "ruined"... -_- Sigh

sorry i didnt mean the design part was ruined(because idgaf about it), but the 2/3 games were sexualized part was ruined, ala 3/3 games were sexualized is what i'm getting at.

I'm not white but nice try.

Your statements are racist. The racist statements you make come from you and are attributable only to you. When you behave as a racist you are being racist. When you're being something, you are something. Attempting to justify and predicate your racism upon yet another fundamentally racist idea only makes you a more entrenched racist. This is true no matter how other racists abide and enable you.

Mega

Banned

giphy.gif

Agreed. The weird puritanical, no-fun-allowed mentality of folks who are supposed to be left leaning, progressive and open-minded is baffling. It's like peeps don't see they're acting like the religious conservatives in the town of Footloose! I said in another thread I want more outlandishness like Conan and Red Sonja in my games, not watered down, buttoned up blandness across the board in the name of whatever.

giphy.gif
It feels like we have reached a paradox.

pronk420

I don't get Western gamers sometimes. Violence in games is okay, but midriff's and underboobs aren't.

I don't think its an issue of being prudish or finding it offensive purely for the content. Its that virtually all women in games are portrayed in an overtly sexualised way for no good reason, and the only step to addressing this the developers are prepared to make is to come up with some lame story justification for it.

If it was just a few characters in games, or if people want to make sex games thats fine, its that almost all games are like this.

Although based on some of the replies in this thread it sounds like some people can't see why portrayal of women in media only in a sexualised way is a problem.

Platy

There is a RIDICULOUS difference between saying a design approved by lots of men for a WARRIOR is needlessly objectified and saying the clothing a real woman choose to work out in a gym says something about her morals

IIRC she was designed by a woman. :D

But approved by a men to the point she is basically ideal Kamiya's sex dreams.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Your statements are racist. The racist statements you make come from you and are attributable only to you. When you behave as a racist you are being racist. When you're being something, you are something. Attempting to justify and predicate your racism upon yet another fundamentally racist idea only makes you a more entrenched racist. This is true no matter how other racists abide and enable you.
I didn't realize it's ok to say racist things just as long as you aren't white. How about instead of justifying your racism you just don't do it?
None of what I said was racist but ok.

giphy.gif
We're now slut shaming a video game character for being designed by men in a manner that doesn't make sense in the context of fighting giant robot dinosaurs, holy shit you've got to be kidding me.

I don't get Western gamers sometimes. Violence in games is okay, but midriff's and underboobs aren't.
Violence in media typically isn't shafting one gender over the other. Unless it's sexual violence, which typically women are the victim of in media. Violence is typically contextualized to an absurd degree, the lack of a woman's brain as she makes armor choices that expose skin, is not. And when it is, it's usually absolutely stupid. Like "I can't breath through my skin, so i'm gonna wear a bikini top, a thong, and ripped leggings specifically." The only thing worse than this is gamers who have no self awareness whatsoever and legitimately can't see why one gender being portrayed this way near constantly is an issue.

There is a RIDICULOUS difference between saying a design approved by lots of men for a WARRIOR is needlessly objectified and saying the clothing a real woman choose to work out in a gym says something about her morals

But approved by a men to the point she is basically ideal Kamiya's sex dreams.

Nah, see, fictional women who are designed to titillate heterosexual men are EXACTLY the same as actual human beings who dress as they choose.

Stop slut shaming my hentai waifu doujins!

I really like 2Bs design, but I definitely don't think the camera should be focusing on her ass every time you move/her skirt lifts up. I didn't even notice that when I played through the demo. As for the Horizion outfit...idk, I'll have to wait for that part of the game to make a decision but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If Aloy is well characterized and relatable, should it matter if she puts on a slightly revealing outfit? I'm just wondering where the line is drawn, because plenty of women in real life would wear an outfit exposing midriff, but if it would de-legitimize a video game character, what does that mean about actual people?

idk, i don't usually tend to think about character design beyond "that looks cool!", and honestly i usually don't give a damn about the player character, they're just a vehicle for me to play the game, but i guess that's part of the problem

there were definitely implications in your post that people in non western civilization are less intelligent

Laiza

Can we drop the idiotic "you're puritanical!" bullshit straw man already. That's not just disingenuous and insulting, it's missing the point entirely. This has nothing at all to do with anti-sex attitudes or slut shaming!

I really like 2Bs design, but I definitely don't think the camera should be focusing on her ass every time you move/her skirt lifts up. I didn't even notice that when I played through the demo. As for the Horizion outfit...idk, I'll have to wait for that part of the game to make a decision but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If Aloy is well characterized and relatable, should it matter if she puts on a slightly revealing outfit? I'm just wondering where the line is drawn, because plenty of women in real life would wear an outfit exposing midriff, but if it would de-legitimize a video game character, what does that mean about actual people?
Context.

People IRL, first of all, have actual agency (limited though it may be). They are not like fictional characters that are written based on whatever the writer decides the character will be doing. A fictional character has no say - it is the responsibility of the writer(s) to make sure that the character has the illusion of agency.

Secondly, most people IRL who wear midriff-exposing outfits aren't in dangerous situations where they realistically can expect to be attacked by something that wants to tear their fuckin' guts out on a regular basis. Come on!

Context.

People IRL, first of all, have actual agency (limited though it may be). They are not like fictional characters that are written based on whatever the writer decides the character will be doing. A fictional character has no say - it is the responsibility of the writer(s) to make sure that the character has the illusion of agency.

Secondly, most people IRL who wear midriff-exposing outfits aren't in dangerous situations where they realistically can expect to be attacked by something that wants to tear their fuckin' guts out on a regular basis. Come on!

yeah that's true, i didn't consider agency as a factor, that makes a lot of sense

the second part though, i would have to echo some other posters here, as Aloy's other outfits don't really look like they would protect her that much from a robot dinosaur attack either. I'm not sure having the midriff exposed would make much of a difference in this situation.

her default outfit has her midriff covered with what appears to be just normal cloth, not even leather, or some other harder material. Surely the equivalent of a t shirt wouldn't add any extra layer of protection over bare skin.

If it's just a temperature thing, it would be in line with the other outifts level of protection for sure

I have wondered if this has more to do with the relative age of America and it's birth through a bloody revolution. It's hard to glorify and thank soldiers of the past while also condemning them for the violence they participated in. It may have been viewed as a necessary evil or a righteous crusade while the deep religious ties prevented major progression in the areas of sexual freedom.

Humdinger

Calling non western cultures idiots seems pretty racist to me.

I think the comment was about Japanese character designers, not a whole culture.

You guys are painting with a pretty broad brush, when criticizing someone for painting with a broad brush.

I'm surprised sometimes at the level of condemnation people get on GAF for saying something that might be insensitive to one cultural subgroup or another. I'm not defending the original poster (I don't know his/her history), but I think the responses can sometimes sound more hateful and condemnatory than the allegedly "racist" or "sexist" statements that are being "called out" or censured.

tldr: I think there's a lot of over-reaction on GAF.

Nya

You know what's not sensible? Talking about a god damn video game's OPTIONAL outfit that exposes a midriff like its the end of the world and how somehow its sexualizing Aloy or de-legitimizing her as a character. Its not like she's wearing something that came out of Dead or Alive, its not even sexy, its just a crop top that A LOT of girls wear during summer.

Get over it, we don't play video games for "realism" or "sensibility" we play them to have fun and enjoy ourselves. I like buying additional outfits for a character I enjoy playing as, there is nothing wrong with that. If Aloy's outfit or 2B's design really bother you that much, don't buy them easy.

It's almost like guerilla painstakingly made the default outfit fit the context with lots of reasonable explanations for each component.

horizon__nombre_provisional_-3167663.jpg

Where does "and for this outfit Aloy decided it's be best not to cover her stomach" fit into the context?

actually, this post is actually best for showing why the midriff exposed outfit is seemingly just as practical. sure, you have the skirt, and the upper chest garment made of out "tough hide", but this image explicitly says that Aloy's undergarment is just made out of linens. That's basically just a t-shirt. It would offer no extra level of protection over your bare skin when push comes to shove. The image goes out of it's way to explain every other component, but the only explanation for the undergarment is "it's a linen undergarment". Seems somewhat unimportant to her overall outfit aside from simple clothing.

If the temperature is hotter, it would make sense for the linen undersuit to come off. In the outfit with the midriff exposed, the chest component appears to have a very similar level of protection to what she's wearing in her default outfit. Now, if the game decided to eschew the actual practical components of the outfit in order to show more bare skin, I would agree that it would be a problem, but so far everything seems to be in line with the base outfit that she starts out with.

Crossing Eden

Calling non western cultures idiots seems pretty racist to me.
More like uncreative, not idiots. Doll faced sexualized characters in a Japanese game are about as common as a brown haired white dude with stubble in a western game, and at least there are efforts to solve the latter.

Can we drop the idiotic "you're puritanical!" bullshit straw man already. That's not just disingenuous and insulting, it's missing the point entirely. This has nothing at all to do with anti-sex attitudes or slut shaming!

Context.

Thank you, there's nothing more disengenous than some of the poor excuses gamers come up with.

You know what's not sensible? Talking about a god damn video game's OPTIONAL outfit that exposes a midriff like its the end of the world and how somehow its sexualizing Aloy or de-legitimizing her as a character. Its not like she's wearing something that came out of Dead or Alive, its not even sexy, its just a crop top that A LOT of girls wear during summer.
Compared to defending the sanctity of a really stupid outfit to the agency of women in real life who're not in a dangerous situation near constantly and chocking it up to "but it's video games" which is basically saying that you'd prefer not to have to use any sort of critical thought whatsoever and would get laughed of a class at a university for defending something like "it's a video game" or trying to poorly explain the context? And no, i'm not gonna get over it, just like African Americans aren't getting over the constant racism in America, people aren't gonna get over the examples of poor representation no matter how small. That's how things get better. Stop whining about criticism. Because I noticed a pattern, we have three games in the OP that have alts for the protagonists that don't make any sense.

actually, this post is actually best for showing why the midriff exposed outfit is seemingly just as practical. sure, you have the skirt, and the upper chest garment made of out "tough hide", but this image explicitly says that Aloy's undergarment is just made out of linens. That's basically just a t-shirt. It would offer no extra level of protection over your bare skin when push comes to shove. The image goes out of it's way to explain every other component, but the only explanation for the undergarment is "it's a linen undergarment". Seems somewhat unimportant to her overall outfit aside from simple clothing.

If the temperature is hotter, it would make sense for the linen undersuit to come off. In the outfit with the midriff exposed, the chest component appears to have a very similar level of protection to what she's wearing in her default outfit. Now, if the game decided to eschew the actual practical components of the outfit in order to show more bare skin, I would agree that it would be a problem, but so far everything seems to be in line with the base outfit that she starts out with.
Exposing skin to the elements doesn't help in the context of what a character is doing. Especially when we consider what might be causing heat in the first place in a post sci-fi apocalypse. You're right that all of her outfits seem to focus on crop tops and that she focuses on mobility first and foremost over a character who's a tank, but in a hot setting, just the undershirt being removed while wearing more clothing on your skirt doesn't really work as an equation. My critique is of yet another inexplicably exposed midriff in a character design but seeing people trip over themselves to justify it is really something else.

More like uncreative, not idiots. Doll faced sexualized characters in a Japanese game are about as common as a brown haired white dude with stubble in a western game, and at least there are efforts to solve the latter.

Thank you, there's nothing more disengenous than some of the poor excuses gamers come up with.

Compared to defending the sanctity of a really stupid outfit to the agency of women in real life who're not in a dangerous situation near constantly and chocking it up to "but it's video games" which is basically saying that you'd prefer not to have to use any sort of critical thought whatsoever and would get laughed of a class at a university for defending something like "it's a video game" or trying to poorly explain the context? And no, i'm not gonna get over it, just like African Americans aren't getting over the constant racism in America, people aren't gonna get over the examples of poor representation no matter how small. That's how things get better. Stop whining about criticism.

It's cute that you think your criticisms will change something that most don't view as a problem at all. You should speak with your wallet and hope enough people join you to make a difference. You will probaby miss put on some great games, but if it is that important to you then you won't budge.

Nya

Compared to defending the sanctity of a really stupid outfit to the agency of women in real life who're not in a dangerous situation near constantly and chocking it up to "but it's video games" which is basically saying that you'd prefer not to have to use any sort of critical thought whatsoever and would get laughed of a class at a university for defending something like "it's a video game" or trying to poorly explain the context? And no, i'm not gonna get over it, just like African Americans aren't getting over the constant racism in America, people aren't gonna get over the examples of poor representation no matter how small. That's how things get better. Stop whining about criticism.

Lmao, that's rich coming from you. Using "racism" as an example when you've showed plenty of it in this thread. Keep calling us all "brainless" or incapable of critical thinking if that makes you sleep at night. The fact is, you're arguing about something that isn't even offensive, which makes you look and sound even more ridiculous. There is nothing so unbelievable about women wearing little clothes in hot climate, if you see women wearing bikinis in a beach in a video game would you call that bad representation of women too?

Aloy's "armor" isn't even sensible for fighting robots to begin with, but sure, keep repeating the word "context".

RainForce

Banned
I think the comment was about Japanese character designers, not a whole culture.

You guys are painting with a pretty broad brush, when criticizing someone for painting with a broad brush.

I'm surprised sometimes at the level of condemnation people get on GAF for saying something that might be insensitive to one cultural subgroup or another. I'm not defending the original poster (I don't know his/her history), but I think the responses can sometimes sound more hateful and condemnatory than the allegedly "racist" or "sexist" statements that are being "called out" or censured.

tldr: I think there's a lot of over-reaction on GAF.

Maybe if this was a one-off thing, but Crossing Eden seems to be pretty notorious for this, attacking people constantly over their Japanese design preferences and never acknowledging that what he said might be distasteful. I've seen him outright call posters sexist for things that aren't sexist or threaten to PM a mod when someone disagreed with him.

Your post was saying that people outside of the west don't put thought into their character designs. Your perspective, via that post, was that if somebody doesn't make a design to western sensibilities or standards, then it's coming from a lack of intelligence. The way you worded it painted a broad stroke that western designs = good, intelligent because of their design philosophies. Non-western (and, judging by the conversation, you meant east Asian or Japanese) designs are mindless because of their design philosophies. Even ignoring how erroneous the generalization is, you laid a blanket statement that western = mindful, non-western = mindless. Like even if that wasn't the intent, it's clear how that post rubbed people the wrong way. At the very least, it neglects the intersectionality aspect of this discussion and comes off as xenophobic.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this trend continuing, though I do hope we continue to see more non-sexualized designs ala Aloy. Sexy character designs are fun, but there's such a disproportionate amount when it comes to feminine characters. Like, not to say that there aren't sexed-up or aesthetic-focused masculine character designs out there, but there's much more of a balance. I don't really feel comfortable criticizing Japanese developers for this though - different cultures, shouldn't expect them to make stuff to fit our social standards/needs. Just saying that as far as my preferences are concerned, I'd like to see more of a balance.

Crossing Eden

It's cute that you think your criticisms will change something that most don't view as a problem at all.
Literally the reason we're getting a game like Horizon with a character as reasonably designed as Aloy is because people absolutely spoke up about the treatment of women in games.

Maybe if this was a one-off thing, but Crossing Eden seems to be pretty notorious for this, attacking people constantly over their Japanese design preferences and never acknowledging that what he said might be distasteful. I've seen him outright call posters sexist for things that aren't sexist or threaten to PM a mod when someone disagreed with him.
Receipts. First of all, I have no issue with preferring Japanese design preferences whatsoever, however, I DO have an issue when they don't seem to understand the issues surrounding them, in the exact same way that I have an issue with the way people don't understand the issue with so many protagonists being white. You sincerely need to stop fucking trying to paint me as someone who's racist against Japanese design principles that's not how fucking critique works.

Literally the reason we're getting a game like Horizon with a character as reasonably designed as Aloy is because people absolutely spoke up about the treatment of women in games.

Please provide a quote saying that is why they chose a female lead. Also according to you they have already fucked it up by showing her flat tummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom