• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else opened their Nintendo switch to find dust and micro scratches on theirs?

levyjl1988

Banned
I think it should be the industry standard to have a nice plastic film over any tablets.
When I opened mine I found dust and micro scratches. I really expected that there would be even a nice plastic film, but it felt like it was just shoved in a plastic bag and that's it. You can clearly see the rough and rushed manufacturing for this product.

XaAnzqI.jpg

LVIKp4C.jpg

Note: The dust on the product isn't from my room but from when I opened the product.
Also the micro scratches is visable when I adjust it to certain light conditions so the photo may not show it well, it really irks me. I'm also used to owning apple products and other tablets where they provide a film for the screen and it feels really nice to peel off. I am usually confident with purchases where they take extra care and it feels tightly packaged and manufactured.

Anyone else found any similar problems when opening their Nintendo Switch?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not on mine... But yeah packaging could probably be better at least for the tablet.

Animekatt

I had dust on mine as well, but no scratches thankfully. I was pretty surprised by how there wasn't a film on it as well.

Mine wasn't scratched but it did have some specks of dust on it. I find it funny how the dock was packaged better than the tablet was.

There was little dust, no scratches.

But I am not sure, if the dust was not gathered immediately when pulling the console out of its plastic bag, caused by electrostatics.
It was easy to remove though. Can be a pain in the ass before applying a screen protector.

GeNoMe

No scratches thankfully. I did manage to find a speck of dust underneath the screen though. Really wondering how it got there, the console must not have been sealed well or it got there during assembling.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
thankfully i have not had any issues with my Switch, and i don't remember any significant amount of dust upon opening it up

Cepheus

No dust or scratches for me. I think the only problem I've had with the Switch so far is the left joycon thing, but it has never disconnected during actual gameplay so I don't really mind it.

Dust only

I think it's funny that they didn't bother putting a cover on the screen, but when you open a pro controller there is a cover on the top part where the USB cable goes.

simtmb

Some scratches on the back that are quite hard to see, rest fine.

Such a joke at how well the plastic dock was packaged compared to the tablet itself.

Ouroboros

Neither dust nor scratches. Nintendo needs to put a peel away cover on the screen though. I felt like I was opening one of those off brand android tablets.

bjork

I still haven't decided if I'm going to open mine or take it back. At the very least, I want to get a screen cover, but I hope if I do open it, no pre-built scratches.

atomoso

Neo Member
Well, mine came covered in some sort of dust/ smudges and scratches on the housing itself.

QgTJrfu.jpg

Nothing to worry about, but it can be frustrating to buy something new and get it in that condition.

Well, mine came covered in some sort of dust/ smudges and scratches on the housing itself.

QgTJrfu.jpg

Nothing to worry about, but it can be frustrating to buy something new and get it in that condition.

Yours looks like someone peeled off a screen protector too. Where did you get it?

120v

as somebody who works in manufacturing you can never 100% QC these things. or stuff like dust at least, scratch leads me to believe something's up

kiri

Only a small amount of dust and a thumb print in the top right corner. No scratches or other defects so I know it isn't a return.

We're really at the point where we're making threads about dust in packaged goods? It's not vacuum sealed and you can wipe it off. Who gives a shit? This is getting obsessive

The micro scratches, I can understand (even though mine had none)

PSFan

Weird that the TCs Switch came in a plastic bag like that. Mine was wrapped in that white foam like cloth Nintendo always uses. The Joycons were too.

atomoso

Neo Member
Yours looks like someone peeled off a screen protector too. Where did you get it?

As far as I know, they come without screen protectors.

I still cannot fathom how they decided to put the dock in a bubble wrap and the screen ( console ) in a plastic sleeve.

I will try to get a replacement or my money back.

Persona7

Banned
Sounds like somebody could have opened it and returned it?

Did you get the full first-time setup when turning it on?

The boxes are not sealed and can easily pick up dust during transportation or while sitting in a warehouse.

Weird that the TCs Switch came in a plastic bag like that. Mine was wrapped in that white foam like cloth Nintendo always uses. The Joycons were too.

Not really. Every unboxing I've seen on youtube has a plastic bag.

atomoso

Neo Member
Sounds like somebody could have opened it and returned it?

Did you get the full first-time setup when turning it on?

Never turned it ON. I just opened the box and saw that the whole screen was covered in something like dried up water ( it appears to be dust from the plastic sleeve ), then I saw the scratches.

The screen itself is in perfect condition, but the housing is scratched.

I know it is a minor thing, but it annoys me.

balohna

I can't remember if there was dust or not, but the box wasn't sealed with a sticker or anything. I just popped the cardboard tab out and the Switch was right there.

Top Bottom